Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

Is this game worth playing?

takedown50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By takedown50

Hey guys dont slate me for this but is this game worth me playing? I do play a lot of turn based fantasy games and i have finished FF6, 7 and 9. I have tried to play Blue Dragon and eternal sonata on the xbox but they couldnt keep my attention long enough to finish them. All im asking is this game interesting throughout and is it worth digging out my very old PS2 and picking up a copy of this game?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By toowalrus

The endurance run was enough to satisfy me, I don't think I'm going to get much more out of it after watching that.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By FrankCanada97

I'd say so. The beginning may start out slow because of all the story stuff, but it really picks up after you get full control of the character. It can get slightly grindy depending on difficulty but the story is great. And yes, the game is very interesting. Although, are you willing to put in 80 hours into this game?

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Jadeskye

Persona 4 is one of the greatest JRPGs of all time. And i don't say that lightly. i've played many dozens of them to completion.

Lawrens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Lawrens

Yea, the fusion is pretty addictive and it's one of the better rpgs I play for gameplay. I'd recommend P3 fes first but depend on your budget, if you have to choose between the two, I'd recommend P4 for better pacing and some tweaks, but P3 fes is where I started at. They're really fun games.

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By raviolisumo

Give it a try. It takes a couple of hours to get going but the game is definitely worth pressing X for.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By eroticfishcake

It takes a while to start off but it picks up rather well after that. It's a fairly unique JRPG with interesting story, some plot twists and some really, really messed up stuff in there (the good kind). So long that you have about 100 hours to kill I'd so go for it. It's not very me to say this but I think it's one of the best games there is out there.

takedown50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By takedown50

I heard that it takes a while to get going but that doesnt bother me as a fan of the FF series. I see people are metioning to play P3 first, This may be a stpid question but is P3P for the PSP and exact copy of P3 that jus runs on the PSP or something different to it? I can put in 80 hours of gameplay no problem. I am currently at university and I have to keep traveling home at weekends in order to work so I was looking for a game I could play when im at home as my xbox and pc is left where I live on campus.

Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
    Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Xtrememuffinman
    @takedown50 said:
    " This may be a stpid question but is P3P for the PSP and exact copy of P3 that jus runs on the PSP or something different to it?
    P3P is an enhanced port, sorta like a director's cut or something. You're getting a second character, more items and Personas, Social Links work faster, and the best part: You can control your characters. It used to be that you could only play as MC and during battle, the computer would take control of your allies. Now you can control everyone, like most JRPGs. It's everything in the console versions; minus the anime cutscenes, player movement on the field (you get a cursor instead; it's more or less the same thing), and (kinda stupid) epilogue of FES, the PS2 director's cut. 

And yes, P4 is awesome. It used to be you needed to play P3 first because the gameplay was broken in it (no control over AI), and you wouldn't appreciate it after playing P4, even though story was better. But if you can get your hands on P3P, you can play them in either order.
    lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By lead_farmer

You should definitely play P4.  Yes, there is a slow start, but once the game starts going you get really invested.  If you interesting or fun little character stories, the social links have that.  If you tend to grind a lot in games, this game rewards that. 
    @Lawrens said:

" Yea, the fusion is pretty addictive and it's one of the better rpgs I play for gameplay. I'd recommend P3 fes first but depend on your budget, if you have to choose between the two, I'd recommend P4 for better pacing and some tweaks, but P3 fes is where I started at. They're really fun games. "
    You can find a used P4 for less than 20 now.  And Yes the fusing does get addictive.
    takedown50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By takedown50

Thanks alot  Xtrememuffinman, I will be ordering P3P shortly and seeing if I can get into it then maybe moving to P4. The only thing that irrates me now is the fact I bought my PSP on release day so it has no TV output! Suppose you cant have everything...

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By VisariLoyalist

Are you insane of course!

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#13  Edited By zidd

P4 is worth playing for sure. P3P is also great.

takedown50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By takedown50

Looks like I will be playing P4 first. P3P has a rough release date in the uk of march 2011!

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By animateria

Personally it's P3 FES for me but P4 isn't too far off either.

P3P is still very much a bummer for me, if you're considering P3 get P3 FES.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Its one of my favorite games of all time (the other is Persona 3). 

So yes, its is absolutely worth playing.

C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By C2C

The recent Persona games are great and are at least worth checking out.  If you like JRPGs you will not be disappointed. 

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FluxWaveZ

You probably won't like it.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By sopranosfan

Yes but make sure you stick with it for a couple of hours.  BTW the starting of this game makes FF starts seem exciting.  I almost gave up on it.

bertmasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By bertmasta

I Loved this game and i watched the endurance run, a true PS2 great, a would also say its probably better than blue dragon and eternal sonata on the whole, so ye i would buy it!

shaun832

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By shaun832
    @takedown50 said:
    "eternal sonata on the xbox but they couldnt keep my attention long enough to finish them. "
    Good. Eternal Sonata becomes so bad near the end.
    Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hourai

Play Persona 3 FES. Watch the Persona 4 Endurance Run. 

vendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23  Edited By vendetta

Every second of the game is archived on this site via the endurance run. Why ask us? Go watch some of those videos and make up your own mind.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#24  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Yes, yes, yes. A thousand times yes!

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By scarace360

YES IT IS WORTH PLAYING.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#26  Edited By gla55jAw

I haven't played P4 yet, but I've played a little of P3 FES and Nocturne and to me they are pretty different than a FF game. After a while the same thing happened to me with Eternal Sonata, I kinda lost interest. I'll go back and finish it one day. You might like P4, watch a little of the endurance run to see if you think you might like it. 

Also, you asked about the difference between P3 and P3P. Watch the quick look here to see the differences. It's mostly just overworld stuff. If you have a PSP, I highly recommend you pick up Suikoden off of PSN. That was the first RPG in a very long time for me that I couldn't stop playing until I finished it. It's a steal for $6.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.