Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

People actually don't like the Galactic Punt?!

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Edited By papercut

An acquaintance of mine had just started to play Persona 4 for the first time and yesterday I got some shocking news. This person, if you can even call it that, did not like the galactic punt! No, just...no. That isn't possible. How can that be possible?!

The scum's defense for this blasphemy was that in performing the move the end result was less Exp. at the end of battles. As a result, he never let Chie do it anymore.

In my head I thought to tell the ignorant slut that in Persona 4, compared to Persona 3, it is much easier to grind for Exp. since there is no game mechanic that stops you from running through the dungeons like there was in P3 with the risk of getting tired and sick. At worst you run out of SP but at a certain point you can just pay Fox if you are somehow incredibly under leveled.

This is what I should of said. Instead the rage overtook my body and I woke up the the next day with a mixture of mud and blood dried to the insides of my fingernails. Also I can't find my shovel or my bag of lime.

Weird.

Just thought you guys may be interested that there are were people like this out there in the world.

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By papercut

An acquaintance of mine had just started to play Persona 4 for the first time and yesterday I got some shocking news. This person, if you can even call it that, did not like the galactic punt! No, just...no. That isn't possible. How can that be possible?!

The scum's defense for this blasphemy was that in performing the move the end result was less Exp. at the end of battles. As a result, he never let Chie do it anymore.

In my head I thought to tell the ignorant slut that in Persona 4, compared to Persona 3, it is much easier to grind for Exp. since there is no game mechanic that stops you from running through the dungeons like there was in P3 with the risk of getting tired and sick. At worst you run out of SP but at a certain point you can just pay Fox if you are somehow incredibly under leveled.

This is what I should of said. Instead the rage overtook my body and I woke up the the next day with a mixture of mud and blood dried to the insides of my fingernails. Also I can't find my shovel or my bag of lime.

Weird.

Just thought you guys may be interested that there are were people like this out there in the world.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I see where he is coming form but Galactic punt is too amazing to care about a bit of XP.

linkster7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By linkster7

But she's so excited how could one possibly say no?

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By mosespippy

Chie is a starting character. She's weak in the end game so she's easy to not use.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By InfiniteGeass

I don't much care for Chie at all to be honest.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Winternet

@mosespippy said:

Chie is a starting character. She's weak in the end game so she's easy to not use.

@InfiniteGeass said:

I don't much care for Chie at all to be honest.

You guys are bat shit crazy.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By YI_Orange

Galactic Punt is cool, but Yukiko's too useful, Yosuke is my bro, and Kanji is Kanji, so I never used Chie anyway. I can understand not using Galactic Punt.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EvilTwin
    @mosespippy said:

Err, what?  She's weak in mid game.  Power charge + God's Hand rules end game.
    coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By coakroach

If you dont like Chie or how she rolls you can eat shit and die.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By IBurningStar

If someone doesn't like Galactic Punt then I don't like them.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#11  Edited By Hailinel

@mosespippy said:

Man, what.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By mosespippy

@EvilTwin: Naoto's Mind Charge/Megidolaon is my jam. With Teddie as the stronger healer I don't need another Ice caster so Chie gets sidelined after Teddie joins.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hailinel

@mosespippy said:

@EvilTwin: Naoto's Mind Charge/Megidolaon is my jam. With Teddie as the stronger healer I don't need another Ice caster so Chie gets sidelined after Teddie joins.

Chie isn't a long-term ice character, anyway. Her most powerful attacks are physical skills. She's only meant to fill the gap ice element-specific character until you get Teddie.

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MikeFightNight

I can't min/max games like that, I just don't care enough, especially if I am doing it at the expense fun. If seeing something as awesome and endearing as the Galactic Punt means less xp then be it.

Bigheart711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By Bigheart711

Actually, I'm fine with using the Galactic Punt regardless of EXP gain. That's because my team has one less shadow to deal with if it's triggered. Also, Chie's really way more of a physical user than a magic user, so it's okay to scrap her bufu spells once Teddie joins in.

daveg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By daveg

Kanji vastly outdmgs Chie at end game.

MrAristocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MrAristocrates

I got pissed when using Galactic Punt recently because I was grinding item drops for a quest, and she Punted one of the enemies that dropped the item.

EDIT: Chie is also not that great in the mid-to-endgame. She has basically one move to justify using her, and Kanji is just an all-around better character.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By laserbolts

Why are people treating persona 4 like it's a difficult game where min/maxing is relevant?

Avatar image for deactivated-63e39f84edec3
    deactivated-63e39f84edec3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When a woman kicks a 20 feet tall robot out into space...

it's always worth it

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By natetodamax

Chie sucks, duder.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@IBurningStar said:

If someone doesn't like Galactic Punt then I don't like them.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mutha3

@papercut said:

Hm? I'm pretty sure that shit ain't true, your friend is crazy!

@mosespippy said:

That is the worst jam possible, son. Naoto is a tremendous SP hog, and she loses out in the damage department to every other character.....even with Mind charge+Megidolan. She's OK for random encouters, but boss battles?

@mosespippy said:

Chie is one of the best in the endgame. Its the middle-game where she blows.....to be fair "the middle-game" means 80% of the game's length in this context, but still!

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

Chie is a good character, but a meh character for battle. I prefer Kanji in just about every way possible, and I use the MC for Ice spells by that point.

However, some dude rocking Naoto for boss battles? Yo, that's insane. She's an item-user/assist character for boss battles for me. However, for randoms, she's literally one of the best characters in the game with the SP-halver and dark/light spells. Grinding/Dungeon runnin' takes minutes.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TehFlan

Dude be trippin.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#26  Edited By Dagbiker

I played p3&p4; the right way, with a gameshark.

SilvarusLupus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By SilvarusLupus

@mutha3 said:

@mosespippy said:

That is the worst jam possible, son. Naoto is a tremendous SP hog, and she loses out in the damage department to every other character.....even with Mind charge+Megidolan. She's OK for random encouters, but boss battles?

I used Naoto on the last boss, true ending boss, and had no SP problems. It also helps to get the item that halves SP cost. Did the final boss with Naoto, Chie, and Yukiko.

Also, Naoto is amazing for random encounters. There are quite a few enemies weak to light and dark when you first get her and not having any weaknesses right off the bat is a big plus for me.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#28  Edited By Commisar123

Eisenhorn says burn the heretic

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#29  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@laserbolts said:

Why are people treating persona 4 like it's a difficult game where min/maxing is relevant?

This. If Vinny and Jeff can stumble their way through Persona 4 on normal difficulty, not understanding some fairly basic gameplay concepts until a few dozen hours in, then it doesn't really matter that Chie is technically the worst party member for most of the game because the game isn't some sort of insurmountable obstacle to begin with. If anything, min/maxing kind of ruined Skyrim for me because of how easy it got by the end, when I was one-shotting people with 15x backstabs and basically otherwise being invisible

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By shirogane

Oh wow, it does? I never realised that. I thought it counted as an instant kill, not eject from battle.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mutha3

@ArbitraryWater said:

@laserbolts said:

This. If Vinny and Jeff can stumble their way through Persona 4 on normal difficulty, not understanding some fairly basic gameplay concepts until a few dozen hours in, then it doesn't really matter that Chie is technically the worst party member for most of the game because the game isn't some sort of insurmountable obstacle to begin with. If anything, min/maxing kind of ruined Skyrim for me because of how easy it got by the end, when I was one-shotting people with 15x backstabs and basically otherwise being invisible

Eh, I think that's more a sign of the game being well-balanced than it being easy. The game is actually fairy challenging by the genre's standard. Its no Nocturne or whatever, but its no final fantasy either.

Also, Jeff and Vinny had people writing long paragraphs of text explaining what they did wrong on a weekly basis. And they read it.

Also, min-maxing is fun.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Vexxan

Always be Galactic Punting. Who cares about the XP, it's all about the animation!

Vyse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Vyse

Once Kanji and Teddie come into the picture, Chie just doesn't cut it for me. I think Galactic punk is an awesome looking skill, but I think Kanji's Hit-All Insta-Knockdown move is much better (I forget its name). Not to mention that Kanji is a better character overall since he gets access to all levels of Zio and he has good psychical attacks.

I just rolled with Yousuke, Teddie, and Kanji throughout and had little to no problems. Still, this is probably the easiest SMT game so you can probably go with any group and still do fine.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By Milkman

Kill this person.

QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By QuistisTrepe

@EvilTwin said:

@mosespippy said:

Err, what? She's weak in mid game. Power charge + God's Hand rules end game.

Those attacks don't matter much if she lacks the attack power to put them to use. Even power charge doesn't make a significant difference.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Chop

Chie is the most effective physical party member end game. Kanji can out damage her but you end up having to heal him every round...

Anyways, I agree with the others. Persona 4 isn't the type of game where you have to worry about having an optimal party or the most exp. YOUR FRIEND IS CRAZY.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By EvilTwin
    @QuistisTrepe said:

@EvilTwin said:

@mosespippy said:

Those attacks don't matter much if she lacks the attack power to put them to use. Even power charge doesn't make a significant difference.

I suppose it would be more accurate to say that physical damage rules end game.  I'm not a Persona 4 theorycrafter, but her damage seemed just fine to me.  Who keeps up with her besides Kanji and the MC?  And since you have 4 party members, what reason would there be not to bring her other than personal preference? 
    EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By EightBitShik

I could of sworn I got the exact same xp from a battle that I did GP to the one I didn't do GP. I don't care who is in my party as long I have Yuki sorry I have to go everywhere with my girlfriend.

QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By QuistisTrepe

@EvilTwin said:

@QuistisTrepe said:

@EvilTwin said:

@mosespippy said:

I suppose it would be more accurate to say that physical damage rules end game. I'm not a Persona 4 theorycrafter, but her damage seemed just fine to me. Who keeps up with her besides Kanji and the MC? And since you have 4 party members, what reason would there be not to bring her other than personal preference?

I was comfortable with the lineup that I had. I didn't even use Kanji much by games end. My lineup was mostly Yukiko, Teddy, and Naoto.

The_Patriarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By The_Patriarch

Dumped her for Kanji, because he's fucking Kanji, but I am pro galactic punt, exp loss or not.

SilvarusLupus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SilvarusLupus

Next time I play though the game, I think I'll use Kanji. I've just never seem to use him and don't know why...

Still prefer Yukiko to Teddie so that will stay the same.

And Naoto will have a spot, so Yosuke is gonna have to sit out.

Anyone else notice that the males get the buffs and the females get the charges?

• Yosuke -> Masukukaja and he also gets Dekaja
    • Kanji -> Matarukaja
    • Teddie -> Marakukaja and Matarukaja
    • Chie -> Power Charge
    • Naoto -> Mind Charge

Weird.

Not like it matters by the end since I will just provide the buffs, debuffs, and resets.

Oh god, if Yukiko got mind charge everything would be doomed.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Hailinel

@SilvarusLupus said:

Oh god, if Yukiko got mind charge everything would be doomed.

She would set fire to ALL THE THINGS.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.