Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

Persona 4 or 3?

PaperPlain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By PaperPlain

I'd say P4. I don't know why. I really like the story a lot.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#2  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

Persona 4. The tweaks they made to the combat and the story were phenomenal. I honestly, can't imagine myself going back to P3 other than to play the expanded portion in FES.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By kush

I would definitely pick Persona 4 over Persona 3. I found the characters to be more interesting overall and all the little tweaks really made the game almost "perfect". It's definitely not a series for everyone, but it's one of my personal favorites.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By BoG

I can't decide, I love them both. Truly, they're very different games then they appear on the surface. I have a class that is all about rhetorical analysis this semester, and I've actually been applying that stuff to these games (and therefore I might be crazy) and I'm astounded how different they really are.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By RHCPfan24

I have only played Persona 4, and I love it. I recently ordered Persona 3 FES on Amazon and it arrived yesterday, so I will play that sometime soon. Still, Persona 4 is awesome...from what I played.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By zitosilva

I'd have to say P4. I love P3, but the changes made in 4, like the more smooth navigation, better written dialogues, the changes in combat, the way your social links can interfere with each other and how they can improve combat... all that made the experience of P4 much more enjoyable than of the previous entry. Both are great games, but P4 is on a step above of P3.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By BoG

The further I go, I think that I liked MOST aspects of P3's gameplay more, but P4 has better pacing and a better story. I think one thing that benefits P4 is that the firs 3/4 of the game don't seem like a waste, as they did in P3. Near the end of P3, when major revelations occur, it just made it all feel like a waste of time. The majority of the game was a waste, killing all those shadows, and now the bulk of the story takes place in the last 5+ hours of the game. P4 did a better job of making it all flow into the conclusion, not, "Oh, this is what it actually is!"

Ransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Ransom

i think persona 3's story was more epic, but i find that persona 4 is a better game overall since it had some much needed gameplay improvements

Avatar image for valkyriegoddess
    ValkyrieGoddess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By ValkyrieGoddess

I'd have to say Persona 4. I have Persona 3 but i just haven't been able to stop playing part 4 to try it.

Ouroboros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Ouroboros

I had the privelege of playing 3 before 4 due to it coming out first of course so I enjoyed both games greatly.  Honestly, I enjoy 3s mechanics more and story and how the dungeon gets handled (random dungeons, 250 or so levels - no real time limit outside of trying to get stronger and go futher) - but with 4s combat mechanic changes, mostly the ability to control your allies its hard to reccomend anything else other then 4.  4 is a much easier game as well, this can be good or bad - for me kinda bad - but there still is full of tons of frustrating parts.  I find generally 3 had a lot more mudo/hama deaths whereas 4 had a lot more careless/cocky deaths.

I would suggest getting both to anyone - 3 is a little more tight but with the gameplay changes and the amazing battle music, 4 is a good to start on.
    xDot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By xDot

You should play P3 before P4, if you play P4 first 3 will feel incredibly dated and annoying as it doesn't have any of the improvements.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Red

I played half-way through P3 and beat P4 for a reason.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.