Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

This episode 130 onwards stuff got kinda nuts all of a sudden.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By I_smell

Adachi was a cool twist that I didn't see coming. I can handle him putting on his NOW I'M EVIL voice, and him being a creepy raper guy is kind of believable. But what the fuck; now he can teleport, knows all about the TV world, make duplicate bodies of himself, manipulate portals in the TV world, can project his voice apparently, and wants to destroy the real world for some reason. So now when did he turn into generic JRPG villain?

I mean the whole game is kind of insane, they still never explained how Teddie produced a human inside himself but whatever, stuff like that's fine. This Adachi thing just sucks because games do it all the time, and instead of being a weird twist it's a boring overused cliche.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @I_smell: There still is one more twist coming up, but that's for the true ending route.
    Shiftshaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Shiftshaper

I cant really say much without giving spoilers, but not everything you're saying is true. And having some control in the tv world makes him a generic villan?
    Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
    Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Emandudeguyperson

I hate Persona.
    Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Happy

It's not like there is a history of people going batshit when they enter the TV the first time or anything.

Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Metroid545

since I already had it spoiled too me and played through the game myself this week was fine but yeah this is THE END OF THE GAME BRO it all goes downhill from here but ps there are still more surprises too come and unlike my best friend, the jerk who spoiled it I won't mention those

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BradBrains

flamebait what.

adachi is a sweet villian. hes pissed cause he didn't get any. i find people are having trouble with his change though.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Otacon

The change is a little ridiculous but at least the world or the universe isn't threatened.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Explaining any of that would be spoilerish.  But remember Adachi said that the shadows don't attack him because they have the same goal? 

Edit: But he doesn't know all about the TV world, that was already explained.  He knew just as much as Namatame but he wasn't as naive to think that that place was safe, in his mind a place inside a TV would be a death trap.  

Edit 2:  And Teddie's a shadow; he can basically do anything.  It's just that he was a shadow created by the human mind to appeal to humans and his initial teddy bear appearance appeals universally to everyone.  His human shape was specifically created to appeal to girls as he wanted to score with them.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By I_smell
    @Otacon said:
    " The change is a little ridiculous but at least the world or the universe isn't threatened. "
    Iniba is, and I kind of got the sense that the world was aswell.

@FluxWaveZ said:
    " But he doesn't know all about the TV world, that was already explained. "
    Well he's doin a pretty good job at teleporting, regardless.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @I_smell said:

@FluxWaveZ

said:
    " But he doesn't know all about the TV world, that was already explained. "
    Well he's doin a pretty good job at teleporting, regardless. "

His objective is the same as the shadows and they're his allies...
    Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Metroid545
    @Otacon said:
    " The change is a little ridiculous but at least the world or the universe isn't threatened. "
    I would say the fact that are world is going to be consumed and everyone turned into shadows that the world has a little chrisis on its hands
    MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MetalGearSunny

If Jeff and Vinny go for the true ending (which is highly unlikely), there will be a surprise....more or less.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
    "If Jeff and Vinny go for the true ending (which is highly unlikely), there will be a surprise....more or less. "

It's not more or less, it's freakin' unpredictable how crazy it is!
    Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By Coltonio7

Adachi likes hi-5's.

Maybe a little too much...

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Otacon

Yep you guys raise a great point, shadows invading inaba would not be good for the world.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BradBrains

i think the main problem is that becuase its more a murder mystery where the killer is revelaed and kind of goes in a differnt direction a bit fast story wise. though i think if they found out he was the killer earler and bul thim up it wouldnt work well either.

as for the true ending. was not a fan. found it a bit silly

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @Darkstalker: But it did close up loose threads did it not?
    MiserableGerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MiserableGerm

Hell hath no fury like a...woman scorned.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @gakon5 said:

" @FluxWaveZ said:

" @Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
    "If Jeff and Vinny go for the true ending (which is highly unlikely), there will be a surprise....more or less. "
    It's not more or less, it's freakin' unpredictable how crazy it is! "
    This is true, but the surprise feels a little cheap, because there were no pieces for the player to put together.  No clues as to what's really going on.  You get some of that with Adachi; looking back, you can see all the times he was around you, or when he gave you "insider info" on the police investigation.  The time he was very quick to haul in the photographer with no evidence.  They all point to what Adachi was really up to, but nobody noticed.  A plot twist is always best when it's something you could have figured out if you had just thought long enough.  The True Ending, while definitely tying up a few loose ends (and in an interesting way), feels a bit too out-of-left-field. "

Another foreshadowing factor about Adachi that I like: when he tells Nanako how smart he is. 

Potential Spoiler Alert

But yeah, I had pretty much argued what happens in the true ending path with fellow user Hailinel who seems to very much like that plot twist.  I don't really want to get into it too much here because there are no spoiler tags, but I feel like what happens was not truly supposed to and the real ending was supposed to be the normal ending.  But Atlus remembered how they added The Answer to P3 FES and how it explained more stuff about the plot and they didn't want to ignore those aspects again so after the developement of the game, they just added that part in the beginning of the game, made the NPC available and added that part in the end.  If you just remove all of that, the story still works. 

Man I wish Giant Bomb had a type of spoiler system like NeoGAF for comments...
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @gakon5: Yeah, there was not a lot I liked about The Answer plot-wise either except for the fact that they explain to you how exactly you came to seemingly "defeat" Nyx when you were repeated "Nyx cannot be defeated!" millions of times.  I also liked the character Metis, except for at the end where we finally find out who she is, which was pretty stupid but kind of links with the whole "shadow inside of you" concept in Persona 4. 

And ever since the ghost incident with Yukari I decided I should stay away from her, but how Mitsuru was acting was very not like her.  I would think she would have had the same mindset as Junpei, or Akihiko at least.  I think Yukari may have had a bad influence on her...
    endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By endaround

Adachi ties in thematically with the Tower SL and givnet eh high reqiruements the game would have you doing it the same time you find out about Adachi.  Bascially Adachi is one path the kid you're tutoring could take.  Jeff and Vinny aren't going to go into it enough to show how it ties together. 

alsnuts2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By alsnuts2

As someone who hasnt played the game I agree with you totally, I was almost getting bored with the ER now its like edge of your seat stuff.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @endaround said:
    "Adachi ties in thematically with the Tower SL and givnet eh high reqiruements the game would have you doing it the same time you find out about Adachi.  Bascially Adachi is one path the kid you're tutoring could take.  Jeff and Vinny aren't going to go into it enough to show how it ties together.  "

Wow really?  Next time I go through the game I'll have to look out for that.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @gakon5 said:
    It was how Yukari approached the situation at hand after you finish the doors and everyone gets those keys.  I found myself saying "Really?" 
    Wait, what?  After...?  What's strange about her then?  Or are you talking about her reconciliation with Aigis in the end?
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#29  Edited By Hailinel

The thing about Adachi really isn't all that bizarre or unrealistic if you're at all familiar with the mentality of sociopaths.  He fits the profile of someone with Antisocial Personality Disorder perfectly.  He has no empathy and his emotional qualities are shallow to non-existent, yet he displays a superficial charm throughout most of the game that allows him to fit into society.  Professionally, he's highly irresponsible, yet he has an incredibly inflated sense of his own importance and talent.  He feels nothing Mayumi and Saki and reacts with violent, domineering anger when they both "reject" him (as Adachi perceives their behavior).   He blames both of them for their fates despite him being the one that shoved them into the TV.  He cons people into believing that he's a harmless dope when he's anything but, and once the murder investigation starts, he manages to keep things going merely for his own amusement and nothing more.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#30  Edited By Hailinel
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    Another foreshadowing factor about Adachi that I like: when he tells Nanako how smart he is. 

Potential Spoiler Alert   But yeah, I had pretty much argued what happens in the true ending path with fellow user Hailinel who seems to very much like that plot twist.  I don't really want to get into it too much here because there are no spoiler tags, but I feel like what happens was not truly supposed to and the real ending was supposed to be the normal ending.  But Atlus remembered how they added The Answer to P3 FES and how it explained more stuff about the plot and they didn't want to ignore those aspects again so after the developement of the game, they just added that part in the beginning of the game, made the NPC available and added that part in the end.  If you just remove all of that, the story still works.  Man I wish Giant Bomb had a type of spoiler system like NeoGAF for comments... "
    I still feel that the true ending and the path leading too it aren't as out of left field as some believe.  There were a number of elements throughout the game that foreshadowed the true ending, even from the very beginning.  It's just that they're very subtle, or revolve around aspects that we in western culture wouldn't think of at first due largely to an unfamiliarity with Japanese mythology and folklore.  If you were to remove the entirety of the true ending path from the endgame and ignore certain other events, it wouldn't really help the story because a number of key issues would be left unanswered.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By HandsomeDead

Considering what's happened in the game so far, the stuff with Adachi is basically mundane. I love his evil voice and borderline paedo grin.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Hailinel: Yeah, that's the thing.  A lot of aspects of the game would not be explained if not for the true ending, which served that purpose much like The Answer in Persona 3.  I still feel as though you could erase all the aspects related to that plot twist and the game could finish with the player having to connect certain dots himself.  But I did not see it from the Japanese mythology aspect before...  I've heard that all the Personas from everyone in your party have something to do with Izanagi's story, so maybe that plot twist was somewhat expected for Japanese players familiar with that?  Anyways, I still liked the true ending and how it basically cleared up the whole plot.  I just would have liked to have had more hints about what was about to happen.  The only thing that I suspected was the relation to Izanagi's wife to the story thanks to Mr. Edogawa, but that's about it.
    damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#33  Edited By damswedon

the evil voice just reminds me of this.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @Emandudeguyperson said:
    " I hate Persona. "
    Then dont post in a thread about Persona.
    Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Kohe321

Bring on the twists, I think it's awesome.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ghostiet

I hate how people talk about the Adachi plot twist that he has CHANGED, like he has a multiple personality disorder or experienced depersonification. And people still talk about him CHANGING even after watching the flashbacks. Flashbacks. Especially that if you play the game again, or listen to Naoto's assumptions, you can find hints about his role in the game.

Shiftshaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Shiftshaper
    @Ghostiet: Well he doesnt really change, he just takes off his mask. I think some people just find it unbelieveable that he behaves so differently all of a sudden. 

Although something I dont really understand is why he's throwing up when discovering Mayumi's body in the beginning of the game. He must he have thought he sent her to her death anyway, why was he so shocked to find her body? He showed that he did not seem to care for others when he was found out. Doing it just to avoid suspicion seemed unessecary, as there was nothing to link him to the murder.
    pandamonium22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By pandamonium22
    @Shiftshaper: Maybe he really didn't know that Mayumi would end up dead in such a way and he was truly surprised. I mean, all he knew was that people could be thrown inside and he probably knew she would die in there because there probably wasn't a way out, but he had no way of knowing that the bodies would be strung up on telephone poles or antennas.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#39  Edited By LordAndrew

Adachi's situation made a lot of sense once it was explained. It felt real (as real as an explanation for a guy who kills people by throwing them into TVs can be) so I was plenty satisfied.

Although the true ending does tie up some loose ends, I never really found myself worrying about those things in the first place. It's good enough closure, but I would have also been plenty satisfied with just the good ending.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @LordAndrew: I'm not too sure about that...  I'd still wonder what the hell the Midnight Channel's about.
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Ghostiet
    @FluxWaveZ: Those discussions kinda suck now, because you can't really talk about it until the Run ends...
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By I_smell

A lot of people missed my point. I get that he was a creepy raper guy all along: That's believable and cool. I just hate how he's turned into a level 99 sephiroth super mage for no reason.
    It's a bit like in Bioshock where they did that big reveal scene, then he turned into the hulk and you had to do a boss fight while he was shouting YOU'LL NEVER DEFEAT ME IM SO POWERFUL HAHAHAHAHA!!

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @I_smell: ...I don't know if you're acknowledging what I typed about him and the shadows having the same goal, but it's somewhat explained later and it has already been hinted at.  Do you just want me to tell you with spoilers so that you're not annoyed about it anymore? 

And what do you mean it's like Bioshock?  It's not like that at all!  Fontaine injected himself full of Adam because you would have killed him easily if not for that and he wanted to be a powerful being.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.