Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Silent Hill

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jan 31, 1999

Everyman Harry Mason searches the desolate town of Silent Hill for his missing daughter in the first of a series of survival horror titles that rely more on unsettling atmosphere than jump scares for tension.

Silent Hill gets re-rated, Wii & PSP remake hopefully coming.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By Icemael
    The first Silent Hill has gotten re-rated. I really doubt they'd be re-rating 10 year old games unless a remake is coming soon. It's probably a remake for PSP and Wii(which already has been rumored), which makes me very happy. True survival horror games are rare these days, and I've never played Silent Hill, so getting it with updated graphics would be really awesome.
    jmr1500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By jmr1500

If one was going to reboot Silent Hill, wouldn't they do it on the PS3 and 360?  PSP and Wii just seem like odd places for it.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Icemael

PSP and Wii isn't weird at all. A lot of PSone games are ported to PSP, and Wii is the only home console that doesn't have a Silent Hill game.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By LiquidPrince
    jmr1500 said:
    "

If one was going to reboot Silent Hill, wouldn't they do it on the PS3 and 360?  PSP and Wii just seem like odd places for it.

"
    Maybe they don't have the cash to invest in a remake.

jmr1500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jmr1500

Icemael you mentioned getting it with updated graphics, in that case, wouldn't you want it on the graphically superior systems?

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By fr0br0

Let's say if they just released the original on the Playstation Store, would that re-release need a re-rate?

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Icemael
    LiquidPrince said:
    "jmr1500 said:
    "If one was going to reboot Silent Hill, wouldn't they do it on the PS3 and 360?  PSP and Wii just seem like odd places for it."
    Maybe they don't have the cash to invest in a remake."
    If it's for Wii, it's got to be a remake. Nobody would buy a game with those graphics. But you may be right about them not wanting to spend a lot of money - updating the graphics to PS360 level would cost more than updating them to Wii level.
    jmr1500 said:
    "Icemael you mentioned getting it with updated graphics, in that case, wouldn't you want it on the graphically superior systems?"
    Of course I would. Did I say I don't?
    jmr1500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jmr1500

Alright fair enough. Is there any news regarding how the game will play? I can't imagine that the first SIlent Hill has aged well.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Icemael

There aren't any news as of now, just rumors. But while we don't have any facts, we can be pretty sure that it's coming - a rumor followed by a re-rating. Coincidence? I think not.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By PureRok

They could be making good games, but they're wasting their time porting/upconverting an old, bad game.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By daniel_beck_90

I am really excited about this . As a long time silent hill fan I hope this rumor 'd be more than just a rumor .

PureRok said:

"They could be making good games, but they're wasting their time porting/upconverting an old, bad game."
      Silent hill 1 was not a bad game whatsoever .

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Meowayne

Uhm, correct me if I'm wrong, but if they remade the game, wouldn't that remake have to be rated instead of the original? It's not the same game, not the same content, and that content might have a different influence. The only reason why they would have the original game rerated is if they wanted to port it in it's original form.

I'd say this is for a PSN release.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Meowayne

Also, submitted to a european ratings board by Konami of Europe? Keep in mind that Homecoming was just released here. Maybe they just had the first game rerated to see if they can use it / footage from it for marketing purposes?

Is there SH1 footage in Homecoming?

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Icemael
    Meowayne said:
    "Uhm, correct me if I'm wrong, but if they remade the game, wouldn't that remake have to be rated instead of the original?"
    If the remake is exactly the same as the original but with updated graphics, no.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Meowayne

Really? But why? Updated graphics can have a huge impact on the portrayal of certain things, can't they?

I just saw that Climax games, the guys who are working on the undisclosed "Konami Wii & PSP Project", are a british company, and that the studio in Portsmouth is looking for new crew members. That might explain the BBfC/Konami of Europe thing.

Humm.

RichieRaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#16  Edited By RichieRaw

Huge Silent Hill fan here.....I'll be happy with a Silent Hill remake on the Wii that at least runs on the SH3 engine....IMO, the original gameplay may not be stellar, but a good enough vehicle to get through the experience, and the audio still holds up, save for the so-so voice acting and the long pause(loading?) between every sentence, the original graphics on the other hand.....hasn't fared so well....SH3's graphics are still really good for a SH experience for me. And give me a GC controller option, I like the Wii, but don't care for waggling on a Silent Hill...that's just me.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Icemael
    RichieRaw said:
    "And give me a GC controller option, I like the Wii, but don't care for waggling on a Silent Hill...that's just me."
    Yeah, I really hope they don't include tacked on motion control just because they can. As long as they don't, I'm fine with the Wiimote though.

Meowayne said:
    "Really? But why? Updated graphics can have a huge impact on the portrayal of certain things, can't they?"
    I don't know how the BBFC works, but I'd say a decapitation is a decapitation and should be rated equally regardless of the graphics.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Al3xand3r

"Waggle" worked excellent in RE4. Pointer for aiming and looking around rocks, while waggling to me is better than rapidly tapping buttons in QTEvents. That said, I don't think SH had any of those events so there's not much room for waggle replacements of them, unless they add such things which again is not an issue and is just another extra thing to look at over the original, probably some chase sequences.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Meowayne

I wouldn't want any motion sensing, and I wouldn't want pointer aiming, either. Why? Because the first two Silent Hills purposely didn't have ANY on-screen displays or icons whatsoever. Just you and the world. That is a shamefully underused and extremely powerful storytelling device that I wouldn't wanna miss, and one of the things that made the other Silent Hills so awful.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Al3xand3r

A dot to aim doesn't sound game breaking. It could even lack that, aiming in relation to your flashlight's beam. Maybe add that little vibration when your aim is right on an enemy. The odd blood squirt, wall puff or tracer would help fine tune your aim. I still hope that Climax game is a new IP.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Meowayne
    Al3xand3r said:
     Heck, it could even lack that, just aim in relation to your flashlight.
    Oh, you're right. That would be good, controlling your flashlight with the wiimote.

Ah, sweet speculation. I don't see it happening, though, a rerelease of the first Silent Hill game. A port maybe, or perhaps they're making a proper compilation now that Homecoming didn't do too bad.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Icemael
    Al3xand3r said:
    "A dot to aim doesn't sound game breaking. It could even lack that, aiming in relation to your flashlight's beam."
    I don't think that'd work without a dot for aiming. It would feel weird, and be horrible for combat.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Meowayne

Silent Hill combat is supposed to be horrible. You're not supposed to want to fight. On top of that, Harry and James are awful shots, and the games had you missing a lot, especially when the enemies are further away and/or there's not enough light.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By Hexpane

Silent Hill 1 is a pure classic, and would NOT really benefit from a mild graphical update to the PSP or Wii.  I agree w/ the above poster that if it ran on the SH3 engine then maybe ... But the PS1 version is almost perfect as is.  It actually works *better* as a horror game IMO w/ the lower res graphics and heavy fogging.

Why remake 1 when they cant get SH4 or SH5 or SHO correct?  They SH1 , SH2 and SH3 are great games, the rest have been pointless.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By Black_Rose

I loved the first SH, but the last time I played it was like 8 years ago, they should do a complete remake, meaning not only graphical but also add new gameplay elements because I doubt the original controls still hold up.

pictoben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By pictoben

This article just suddenly makes sense of something - Silent Hill, one of the PSN downloads I'd wanded to happen did hit the UK PSN Store a few weeks back, but having spotted this, when I cam back to buy it it had dissapeared. If a port / remake is in the works you wouldn't want to pre-emptively burn out your market by flogging the original for a super bargain £3.99 would you?

Apparently the official word is that if you bought it when it was there, you get to keep it, but if not "it may be returned in the future", though I'm not holding my breath. Cheers Sony, another dissapointment.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Al3xand3r

Well, Nintendo think the opposite as they put Punch Out and Super Punch Out on Virtual Console just before the Punch Out Wii launch to get the hype going. But I guess it makes sense to try and pull it when it's on a machine the "reimagining" won't show up on.

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By raven_squad
    Hexpane said:
    "Silent Hill 1 is a pure classic, and would NOT really benefit from a mild graphical update to the PSP or Wii.  I agree w/ the above poster that if it ran on the SH3 engine then maybe ... But the PS1 version is almost perfect as is.  It actually works *better* as a horror game IMO w/ the lower res graphics and heavy fogging.Why remake 1 when they cant get SH4 or SH5 or SHO correct?  They SH1 , SH2 and SH3 are great games, the rest have been pointless."
    Its not a remake exactly, more like a drastic re-imagining. They have entirely changed and removed certain elements and added in new ones. It's going to be more then just a face lift. 

I'm personally looking forward to it as of now. Hopefully nothing is released to change my mind. The potential for its failure is massive but at this point I remain optomistic. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.