Keeping It Simple #27

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By sweep  Moderator

Recently I feel I have got back into the swing of writing. Sometimes I go through a phase where I feel obligated to blog and it becomes a chore. However if there is one thing I never feel obligated to do, it's keeping it simple... 

YES 

The final chunk of the bridge between Gears 2 and 3, Anvil Gate is due to be released on September 16th. I have already placed my pre-order. 

For 400 MS points this is perhaps the best deal on XBLA right now. It has a small story arc, multiple characters, bosses and, oh yeah, zombies. It looks beautiful and runs much smoother than I remember the original ever performing. Still not convinced? It gives you the ability to strap a garden rake onto a car battery. You are breaking the law if you do not buy this. 

• Free Weekends 

I hopped back into LOVE and it's amazing how much has changed since a few months ago, let alone since launch. There is now a full weather system and when it rains, the entire planet can flood - leaving surviving players stranded on islands and mountain-tops. Magical game! 

NO 

I can't understand why people are getting excited for this. I hate all you "Always bet on duke!" smug bastards. Call me when it hits shelves, then we can talk. Until then I refuse to accept DNF for anything more than smoke and mirrors.   

You lazy fuckers contribute NOTHING. 

• America 

I'm just jealous because I can't go to PAX :'( 

Thanks For Reading 
    Love Sweep
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Recently I feel I have got back into the swing of writing. Sometimes I go through a phase where I feel obligated to blog and it becomes a chore. However if there is one thing I never feel obligated to do, it's keeping it simple... 

YES 

The final chunk of the bridge between Gears 2 and 3, Anvil Gate is due to be released on September 16th. I have already placed my pre-order. 

For 400 MS points this is perhaps the best deal on XBLA right now. It has a small story arc, multiple characters, bosses and, oh yeah, zombies. It looks beautiful and runs much smoother than I remember the original ever performing. Still not convinced? It gives you the ability to strap a garden rake onto a car battery. You are breaking the law if you do not buy this. 

• Free Weekends 

I hopped back into LOVE and it's amazing how much has changed since a few months ago, let alone since launch. There is now a full weather system and when it rains, the entire planet can flood - leaving surviving players stranded on islands and mountain-tops. Magical game! 

NO 

I can't understand why people are getting excited for this. I hate all you "Always bet on duke!" smug bastards. Call me when it hits shelves, then we can talk. Until then I refuse to accept DNF for anything more than smoke and mirrors.   

You lazy fuckers contribute NOTHING. 

• America 

I'm just jealous because I can't go to PAX :'( 

Thanks For Reading 
    Love Sweep
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee
    Hell yaw for Case Zero! 

And I have enough fond memories of Duke Nukem: 3D aswell as confidence with Gearbox that DNF may turn out to be a surprisingly alright game. This is literally going by just the memories and confidence, mind you. Haven't seen a single gameplay vid/shot annnd honestly...I'd prefer it that way for now...
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By jakob187

But...but Jeff played it.  He has confirmed that it exists.  Besides, who are you to tell us we can't get excited about something?  You're the one that bought a Save Carmine shirt...and Gears of War books!!!  If you are allowed to be excited about mindless muscle-bound freaks of nature that take themselves too seriously and make emo-as-hell commercials, then I think we have the right to be excited about a mindless muscle-bound freak of nature that cusses, offers politically incorrect commentary, and may or may not exist beyond two playable levels at PAX!!! 

Also, I agree completely on Case Zero.  Such an awesome little bite-sized version of Dead Rising gameplay.  It made me start thinking about what it would be like to make a little bite-sized version of other games out there and how well they could translate for the same price.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By BulletproofMonk
    @jakob187: I love you.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Fallen189

I'm entirely with you on the DNF front, friend. 

Bearing in mind it was announced in 97, I'm just completely skeptical about it. I was barely in double digits when it was even ANNOUNCED, and every fucker is talking about how they're gonna "Bet on Duke", when it just feels like they're doing it because of the hype, or to be popular (on the internet?!) 

Hey, I'm sure it'll be competent. But growing up playing DN and DN3D, I can't see how this can be anywhere near the thing I'm anticipating. It's just been too long... 

I assume all the review of the game (I am of course referring to the alternate reality in which the game actually comes out. Because it's NOT GOING TO) will preface with "How do I even review this thing".

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By RobotHamster
    @Sweep:  Anvil Gate is out already I got mine three days ago from Amazon.  Where are you that you don't get it until the 16th? 

And I just got the 200 points from Case 0, really great for 5 bucks.
    MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By MarkWahlberg

What is love?

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Brendan

Agreed as far as the dumb "HAHAHA DNF LOL CAN'T WAIT!" responses on threads go.  It's a joke with a punchline that's long stopped being funny.  Personally I could not care less Duke, he is a figment of the past and a (probably) middle of the road game of the future.  Whoop-de-fucking-doo.
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @jakob187 said:
    " But...but Jeff played it.  He has confirmed that it exists.  Besides, who are you to tell us we can't get excited about something?  You're the one that bought a Save Carmine shirt...and Gears of War books!!!  If you are allowed to be excited about mindless muscle-bound freaks of nature that take themselves too seriously and make emo-as-hell commercials, then I think we have the right to be excited about a mindless muscle-bound freak of nature that cusses, offers politically incorrect commentary, and may or may not exist beyond two playable levels at PAX!!!"
     Don't get me wrong - I know i'm an idiot for liking Gears Of War. But that doesn't change the fact that Duke Nukem' Forever has had the most fucked up development cycle of any game, ever.  I don't resent the character of Duke, I resent this "AW YEAH SON, ALWAYS BET ON DUKE! WE ALWAYS KNEW THIS GAME WAS GOING TO BE AWESOME!" mentality that seems to be sweeping the internet. It's a fucking miracle that game still exists, let's not blow our own minds speculating on it's quality just yet.

And I liked the emo gears commercials :'(

@RobotHamster:
     England. Bleurgh. 

@MarkWahlberg: 

Welcome to Giantbomb, the worlds largest editable videogame database. We're into LOVE, somersaults, and users just like you!

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MarkWahlberg
    @Sweep: It was a poor attempt at humor. My apologies.
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @MarkWahlberg: My point still stands :D
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#12  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I'm excited for Duke because the original was a pretty huge landmark on my gaming map.  I know, it's hard to imagine being excited for sequels for shit that was released before some of the users of Giant Bomb were even born, but still - it was an awesome game then, and the coverage done by Jeff today makes it look awesome today.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with being excited for a game - if you're not, that's cool.  But don't rip on all of us for being excited for this one.  It's been a long time coming.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By Claude

I didn't care about Duke Nukem even when he was cool and not a joke. Let me check, yep, other than it's a cool story, bro, still don't care.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Daveyo520
    @Sweep: I could Stalk you better here in America. Then we can go to PAX East together.
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @Sparky_Buzzsaw: Everytime someone blurts out "Always bet on duke!" it's so fucking desperate! It's un-deserved smugness, that's what it is.
    ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By ZeroCast

Stop Cheatin'. ;)

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#17  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw
    @Sweep:
    All right, I'll allow ripping on the smug bastards.  But for some of us out there (especially those of us who don't utter that phrase), that game's announced release and the Gearbox development are pretty cool bits of news.
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Red12b

DNF...Why call a game DNF... Did Not Finish  

Prophetic anyone? 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By jakob187
    @Sweep: But if you are allowed to be an idiot for Gears of War, aren't we allowed to be idiots for Duke Nukem Forever?  Also, "Always Bet On Duke!" has been the catchphrase for the game forever.  Some of us never lost faith that the game would come out, and that line has been a mantra for us for a long time.  Those who are just now jumping on the bandwagon, however, can eat a dick.  I agree with that.  I mean, I was 15 when DNF was announced, and it was such a huge deal at that point for me and my friends as gamers.  We were huge fans of FPS games, and especially when it came to id Software and 3D Realms.  We've been waiting and waiting patiently, and whenever the "cancellation" happened, we just couldn't believe it.  This has brightened our day, and as I said in my own blog - we're not expecting the greatest FPS to ever have lived.  Hell, The Expendables wasn't the greatest action movie ever made...but it was something that finally happened and it was fucking awesome nonetheless, despite its obvious flaws. 

It's about the game coming out and just being Duke.  That's all we want.  Nothing more, nothing less.  If they can deliver that, then fuckin' eh.
    danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By danielkempster

Man, I do love it when Sweep keeps it simple. 

Funny thing - I've been thinking about picking up Case Zero. Why is this a funny thing? Because I never played the original Dead Rising, and I (at present) have no intention of picking up Dead Rising 2. However, the notion of putting out a "mini-game" at that price point seems like something I should support, and all the hype and coverage around it has got me genuinely interested in playing it. I'm still sitting on 520 MSP, so we'll see what happens.

thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By thedj93

I can live with smoke and mirrors if it's videogame gunsmoke and shiny chromed pistols! 
    (I am also the lowest common denominator when it comes to the audience for mass media) 
     In fact, I consider this website a tribute to me, personally!     

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By mikemcn

Sweep! You share my belief in Snipers! FInally someone who understands why they suck.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#23  Edited By Oni

Case Zero is awesome, but it definitely does not run smoother than DR1. I played the original right after I finished CZ, and the framerate is a LOT smoother in it. On the downside, DR1 tears like a motherfucker, no V-sync whatsoever, whereas Case Zero seems to be V-locked. I hope the full DR2 finds a middle ground, because I'd rather the game unlock V-sync to boost the framerate when things get too hectic.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @Oni: Mate, there must be something wrong with your TV because I swear you are always complaining about tearing!
    Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#26  Edited By Oni
    @Sweep: Go play DR1 and tell me I'm wrong. That game has it, and lots of it. More than any other game I've played.
    Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By Disgaeamad

BETTING IT
    ALL.
    ON.
    DUKE.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.