Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Skate 2

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jan 21, 2009

Skate 2 adds additional trick modifiers, a wide-open career mode, and a host of new multiplayer content to the original Skate formula.

Skate 2 Demo Live on 360, Hitting PSN Next Week

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
    Here's a picture of Skate 2.
    As previously posted, the Skate 2 demo has indeed surfaced on the Xbox Live Marketplace today. It's a 1.51GB download that gives you a time-limited look at a skate park area and a brief set of local multiplayer challenges for up to four players.

The demo also contains a brief tutorial video, but it stays pretty simple. If you're looking to get a leg up on all the new tricks and modifiers, the game has a trick guide on the pause menu that'll show you how to nail all the one foot tricks, how to boneless, grabbing during grinds, and so on.

Giant Bomb's hot user of the minute, GreggD, posted up some of his thoughts on the demo in the forums, so go ahead and read what he's got to say and then get into a big argument with him over something. That's what forums are for, kid!
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff
    As previously posted, the Skate 2 demo has indeed surfaced on the Xbox Live Marketplace today. It's a 1.51GB download that gives you a time-limited look at a skate park area and a brief set of local multiplayer challenges for up to four players.

The demo also contains a brief tutorial video, but it stays pretty simple. If you're looking to get a leg up on all the new tricks and modifiers, the game has a trick guide on the pause menu that'll show you how to nail all the one foot tricks, how to boneless, grabbing during grinds, and so on.

Giant Bomb's hot user of the minute, GreggD, posted up some of his thoughts on the demo in the forums, so go ahead and read what he's got to say and then get into a big argument with him over something. That's what forums are for, kid!
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Rowr

Downloading right now.

dimpley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By dimpley

Played it...
    Its skate...
    but theres definately something different that isnt quite hit all the buzzers that the last one did
    Whether there is actually something wrong or its just the horrible time limit only time will tell with the full version.
    But i sure hope its good because what the Black Box team had was a formula that seemed untouchable, and would be a shame to see it drop down a peg or two

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By RHCPfan24

I am going to download this.....now.

jonnyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By jonnyp

only for gold members?!  forget that shit. 

pablodiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By pablodiablo

You got it Jeff. Downloading now.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Chummy8

I'll give it a shot later tonight.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A nice little aperitif. Definitely picking it up, I loved the first skate. Though I must agree that running around on foot is a little too stiff.

Avatar image for onemanfreakshow
    onemanfreakshow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By onemanfreakshow
    First, let me get this out of the way: I loved skate. It's easily the best skateboarding game I have ever played. Everything about it hit all the right notes; The controls were simple to use yet difficult to perfect, the tone was very realistic, and the overall presentation and gameplay was top-notch.

So, naturally, I was pretty excited to play the Skate 2 demo. How does it stack up to the original?

Not. At. All.

To start off with, you are greeted with an intro that's full of cheesy stuff about living in the ghetto after getting out of jail or something. Instantly, this reminds me of the later Need for Speed games or something, and that's certainly not a good thing. Then, I see the Black Box logo. Black Box made Need for Speed Undercover, the latest and worst in the Need for Speed series. It was plagued with the same problems, storytelling-wise. STOP KILLING MY GAMES, BLACK BOX.

So, when you jump into the demo, you create a character. Although it may seem easier to use than the original's, it is most certainly not. It's not nearly as customizable, and there's only about ten hairstyles to choose from. And if you accidentally skip something? Too bad. The game won't let you go back and change it.

It then drops you into the gameplay. Your cameraman is the same from skate., and although it's apparently been several years, and THE WHOLE CITY HAS CHANGED, he still has the same voice and manages to be more annoying than ever. He was kind of charming in the original game; The character that thinks he's the best person in the world, but a bigger nerd than anyone else in the city. Here, he's just obnoxious, screaming things like "HOLY COW, AAAAH, GAHHH," every time you bail. I'm not even kidding. He really says "Holy cow."

You can now get off your skateboard and go up staircases this time around, but that doesn't feel like it should. The controls for walking are incredibly stiff, and quite frankly, awkward. You can also move stuff around, but that doesn't ever feel right either.

The skaters are also more punk-acting this time. They're just kind of big jerks that you can't really like. In the first game, they were like they are (presumably) in real life. Here, though, they're just stereotypes of themselves.

Speaking of stereotypes, that is my biggest problem with the game. The first game nailed a realistic setting, and it really set it leagues ahead of the Tony Hawk games. Here, they changed all the characters to what the Tony Hawk games made them out to be, and they did the same with the setting, story, and gameplay. They took the park-editing stuff right from 2007's Proving Grounds, and they manage to be somehow worse here. It's hard to place something where you want it to be, and once you do, it never feels satisfying. There just isn't a whole lot of customization. There's no way to move stuff around where you want it; There are always boundaries keeping you from doing so.

On top of that, I can tell this game has a "crazy" kind of vibe to it. In the full game, you'll be able to customize your own bails. In fact, they don't even have the excellent ragdoll physics from the first in the game. The bails in this one are just plain lame, and watching them doesn't ever make you feel uneasy. Also, the controls feel somehow sloppy in this one. I don't know what it is, but they feel a lot more loose than the super-tight controls of the original.

What went wrong? I mean, I'm still going to at least rent the final product when it comes out in a couple of weeks, but if I didn't know better, I would think it's a Tony Hawk game. The game's mellow and realistic representation of skateboarding as a sport and lifestyle that was seen in the original is gone in favor of stupid stereotypes, and the gameplay is nowhere near on the same level of the first game. All in all, I'm very disappointed with what I've played of it.
    Rasgueado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Rasgueado

Wow... after reading the comment from onemanfreakshow... I can't help but wondering if we're playing the same games. With the exception of the dialogue almost everything is better so far (though I haven't run into anyone acting like a jerk yet). To be fair, the dialogue in the first game wasn't good either. I don't tend to play skateboarding games for a Shakespearean deconstruction of quantum theory though...

fishinwithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By fishinwithguns

I'm tired of people being overly conservative when it comes to game design.  It's like the only difference people can tolerate is the addition of the number 2.  First of all, you're only so attached to the first game's design because it's the FIRST GAME, stop being so sentimental...allow for a game to progress unless you just want to be playing Halo for the rest of your life.  I don't understand the "more of the same is better" philosophy.  Everything different about skate 2 is an improvement.  First of all, the frame rate is INCREDIBLE.  The bails look more realistic, the ability to get off your board is an added convenience, just because the Tony Hawk games supposedly started sucking after they allowed this feature doesn't mean the same for skate. (by the way, I thought the Tony Hawk games started to suck shit way before they added that feature anyway).  Honestly, I don't know why there weren't any handplants or fastplants in the first game, so the addition of these moves just makes sense to me.  Overall, the realism and challenge factor hasn't diminished, everything that made the first game what it is is still there...the replay editor, the skate community, etc.  And also, I don't understand complaining about the characters being "jerks," grow some balls kid,  I've never heard anyone complain about a game being too "rude," that's like complaining that a horror movie is "too scary" or some shit. 

By the way, the "ragdoll" physics made many of the bails in the first one look ridiculous, have you ever seen anyone bail in real life?  You're not just gonna go completely limp if you're 20 feet in the air, you're gonna flail like a madman and try to put your hands out in front of you or whatever you can do to lessen the impact.  It's the realism that made the first what it was, so I don't see how adding to that is detrimental.  And it's not a "park editing" tool, you're simply just moving objects around like you would in real life, if you were skating and trying to set something up.  I shouldn't care what anyone else thinks, but none of your complaints make any sense to me.  Plus, you're comparing like a 15 minute demo to a full game.  It's ridiculous to say that the pros are "stereotypes of themselves,"  why would the skaters want to represent themselves as stereotypes, and what stereotype are you referring to?  They're not going around saying "radical" and drinking Mountain Dew the whole time...plus how can you justify any of this with like the 20 lines of dialogue that are in the demo?  Whatever, it's your loss if you can't see the greatness of it.  But then again I myself couldn't see why everyone went so apeshit over Fallout 3 and Left 4 Dead...both were very mediocre in my opinion.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12  Edited By Death_Burnout

Yeah its another horrid Gold only demo...*sigh*

I'm getting it regardless of demo but, uuugh.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MrKlorox

The first skate demo was the way to do a demo. 30 mins of a medium sized skate park with all the tricks in the game was awesome. So awesome that I never felt I needed to buy the retail game and could just play the demo a thousand times. Now they've gone and pulled an EA and limited it to 7 minutes of actual gameplay maximum. Fuckin EA.

EDIT: Anybody notice the shirts/hoodies that had the Thrasher Skate and Destroy logo featured on them? Now that's a proper throwback to the game that kicked off this whole realistic skateboard game phenomenon.

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14  Edited By insanejedi
    MrKlorox said:
    "The first skate demo was the way to do a demo. 30 mins of a medium sized skate park with all the tricks in the game was awesome.

So awesome that I never felt I needed to buy the retail game and could just play the demo a thousand times.

Now they've gone and pulled an EA and limited it to 7 minutes of actual gameplay maximum. Fuckin EA.

EDIT: Anybody notice the shirts/hoodies that had the Thrasher Skate and Destroy logo featured on them? Now that's a proper throwback to the game that kicked off this whole realistic skateboard game phenomenon."
    That's why they paired it down to 7 minutes, and it's not like you can demand anything from a FREE demo. It showed off what you can do in the game, some new stuff, and it did it well. First people complain about the length of full retail games, then they complain about how they finished a game on rental, now people are complaining about a FREE PRODUCT? Ridiculous.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MrKlorox

You've got issues. I never complained that I beat it in a rental. I mentioned it. My only complaint was that 7 minutes is ridiculously short. Also it's actually 5 minutes unless you complete challenges, which add less than a minute each time.

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By insanejedi
    MrKlorox said:
    "You've got issues. I never complained that I beat it in a rental. I mentioned it. My only complaint was that 7 minutes is ridiculously short. Also it's actually 5 minutes unless you complete challenges, which add less than a minute each time."
    No i'm saying the general gaming complaints about length. People complain that some games are 5 hours long regardless of quality, some even complain they beat rentals and feel cheated out of there money. And now people are complaining the length of a demo that gives you enough time to show you everything? That's just... the demo is not there for you to not buy the game, it's the opposite. That's why it's called a demo. It's not the full version of a game.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MrKlorox

The first skate demo was good because it did essentially just that. Showed you almost everything and gave you time to get a groove going before it kicked you out. Skate2 demo doesn't do this. It doesn't really show much of the new features and starts off on a note of pressure to finish challenges or get booted from the game. That's not the relaxed attitude that is associated with games like this.

Also there were many circumstances that lead me to never buying the first skate. If XBL wasn't the fickle bandwagon that it is, I wouldn't have to plan out my purchases months in advance to make sure I own the same games my online crews are playing. By the time I could buy the first one, my friends were into the next big thing. Screw that.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JoelTGM

It's a lot of fun.  Try the multiplayer it's awesome.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Death_Burnout said:
    "Yeah its another horrid Gold only demo...*sigh*

I'm getting it regardless of demo but, uuugh."
    *GASP* A Silver member?! I thought we sent you all to the labor camps!
    That whole Gold/Silver demo release things is such bullshit on par with the Killzone 2 pre-order demo shit.
    Whoever decided that should be dragged out in the street and shot
    XaiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By XaiaX

Don't start that class warfare crap.

Damn plebians.

You'll get the demo when us humans are good and done with it, until then, back to mopping your cave!
    Fiziks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Fiziks

Sure the time limit bites, but at least it made me want to actually go out and get the game.

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By insanejedi
    MrKlorox said:
    "The first skate demo was good because it did essentially just that. Showed you almost everything and gave you time to get a groove going before it kicked you out. Skate2 demo doesn't do this. It doesn't really show much of the new features and starts off on a note of pressure to finish challenges or get booted from the game. That's not the relaxed attitude that is associated with games like this.

Also there were many circumstances that lead me to never buying the first skate. If XBL wasn't the fickle bandwagon that it is, I wouldn't have to plan out my purchases months in advance to make sure I own the same games my online crews are playing. By the time I could buy the first one, my friends were into the next big thing. Screw that."
    This also showed you almost everything new in the game. It showed you the new character creation features, it showed you that you can get off the board, it showed you that you can move stuff, the trick point or whatever so you can go back to where you set yourself, and it also showed the new camera capturing system. It also helped set up the plot line and the story. Overall it did everything. If you want to play around with the skating system, dude go buy Skate 2 once it comes out. It also gave you a bit of free time when you finished all the challenges to play around with the system a bit more. As a demo it did its job.
    Civraz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23  Edited By Civraz

The worst thing for me is the timer. You get into a good line of doing tricks, or your off trying to explore, then sooner than you know it, the time is up and you need to restart from the beginning. Bummer.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MrKlorox

If you'd have read all my comments, you'd see that I am going to buy the game, dude. They didn't even mention the handplants or footplants or any of those new moves. They're in the trick list for those that look for them and want to play through a few times to figure them out. That's hardly "showed".

There's demo, and then there's teaser. This sample of Skate2 is closer to the latter.

marcio1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By marcio1986

Thx for the heads up Jeff.

Never got to play the first one, nows my chance to try this analog trick scheme.
    But gotta wait till next week  -_-

killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By killdave

Seems the PS3 is last to get everything - makes me angry to think of the money I wasted on my bluray player

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28  Edited By Death_Burnout

Yeah agreed, at least its not a killzone 2 demo, i said that before once.

And yeah people can make jokes about silver members being another life-form, but when it comes to online gaming...i go to the PC, so theres no need for me to be Gold, at all.

Like i said!! to counter my argument, i dont need a demo to tell me to get Skate 2 at all, but what if someone did? (they'd wait a week) oh yeah

ultrapeanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ultrapeanut
    I think a lot of people have some extremely rose-tinted memories of the original Skate. It's one of my favorite games of all time, and I still play(ed) it (until the Skate 2 demo dropped). Yes, Skate 2 is different, but only slightly, and only in ways that vastly improve the experience once you adjust. They did not sell out, they did not Tony Hawkify the game, and they did not, under any circumstances, offer less customization options than were available before (The hairstyle options in the original were abysmal, OneManFreakShow). If you're feeling let down by the demo, play it and then go back to Skate and see if your conceptions hold up.

The demo is fast-paced in order to show the new features and the timer's a bummer, but Jesus, it's a demo. It's not a sign that EA is out to screw you over and eat your loved ones.  It sucked having to restart the original demo after thirty minutes, too. The difference is that Skate is no longer a brand new concept which required a lot of time to learn. Ergo, shorter demo for the sequel.
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Media_Master

the game looks fantastic!

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By Snail

I played the preview, and it looks awesome.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By ArchScabby

Played the demo, and it seems like skate.
    Not that that's a bad thing, in fact it probably convinced me to pick it up some time, because I really want to explore the rest of the city besides slappy's skate park.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.