How do you feel about guest characters or artists in SCV?

#2 Posted by melcene (3056 posts) -

I'm fine with the guest artists.  I thought some of those characters were pretty interesting.  Guest characters are always cheesy though.

#3 Posted by EuanDewar (4796 posts) -

Guest characters are weird and the ones you suggested dont fulfill the main point of a guest character which is to sell the game to people who would otherwise be uninterested.

#4 Posted by The_Patriarch (277 posts) -

I don't like guest characters in any fighting game. Characters designed by guest artists, why not? As long as they're well designed of course.

#5 Edited by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

i like the guest artist creating new characters
#6 Posted by Danbo (191 posts) -

Since its Namco I think it'd be awesome if Duke from Tales of Vesperia made an appearance. He's one bad mutha.

#7 Posted by animateria (3252 posts) -

I liked the guest artists characters. I wouldn't mind seeing more of those.

Didn't care much for Vader or Yoda though.
#8 Edited by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

Some of the guest characters they've used just don't mesh with the setting and atmosphere of the game. Star Wars??? Come on. This is a martial arts brawler, don't lose sight of that Namco-Bandai.

Dun goofed.
#9 Edited by bartok (2436 posts) -

Soul Caliber has only had two really fun guest character and that was Link and Yoshimitsu.  Otherwise they have been lame like Heihachi and Spawn or cheap and out of place like the Star Wars characters.

#10 Posted by ProfessorK (819 posts) -

To be honest, the SC franchise has become known for the trend, and thats great. But last games choices were my least favorite so far. The cool thing about it from a collectors stand point is it gives me incentive to buy all versions of the game. I remember how even though I never really played the Xbox or PS2 versions, I tracked down and got all 3 versions of SC2 because all three of those characters I liked. 

That said, this time around I hope for some more iconic characters from video games, not other forms of media. If I had to pick I'd choose characters from Capcom's weapon fighters (really only because of the Tekken x Street Fighter and vice versa). Though, it'd be cool as hell to see Dante or better yet Sparda in SC. Saki's cool but I'd rather Samanosuke be in. But aside from Capcom may be a Tales of MC, like Yuri from Vesperia.  Hell, for the PS3 throw in one of the bosses from Demon's Souls, I mean, just anyone besides Kratos again, lol.

#11 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

SC just piles gimmick after gimmick ontop of itself so if guest characters, on disk content that's locked out, etc is what they want, then more power to them.

#12 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

Guest characters are silly and the guest artists take focus away from the main fighters.  Almost all of the new characters in SCIV (four out of five) were collaborations from anime artists, none of them had personalities or stories and none of them will be returning in the new game, so what was the point?  Has the SC universe really become that shallow?

I also thought every single one of them was terrible.
#13 Posted by mazik765 (2315 posts) -

I love the guest characters, but as much as I loved jumping around as Yoda, the Star Wars characters were a bit too out of place for me. Spawn and Link were awesome though, so I'd love to have more like them. And Necrid is awesome.

#15 Posted by ProfessorK (819 posts) -
@bartok: don't mean to be nitpicky, but yoshi's been a staple SC character for a good while now. though, yes I know he was initially a guest.
#16 Edited by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -

I'm don't like the concept of guest characters in any fighting game (Versus games and Smash Bros. excepted,of course). They never quite fit in.

EDIT: Although, I guess Cody and Guy are guest characters in SF, right? They're great.
#18 Posted by melcene (3056 posts) -
@Sreya said:
"

Also correct me if I'm wrong but don't characters created by guest artists share move sets with pre existing Soul Calibur characters.
Guest characters however have completely original move sets, right? I'd rather have a whole new character than a clone. 
"
While I can understand, agree with that to an extent, sometimes it works.  Using Astaroth's moves as Ashlotte, without using that ugly brute works for me.
#19 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6191 posts) -

If the guest characters act as console-exclusive novelty, then it's a waste of time for people in the competitive perspective.

#20 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

I don't want another Yoda 

#21 Posted by TechHits (1373 posts) -
@ThePhantomnaut said:
If the guest characters act as console-exclusive novelty, then it's a waste of time for people in the competitive perspective.
SC has never really had a competitve scene, and now with the fighting game market having exploded, I would doubt if this game will be the one to get that kind of attention.
#22 Posted by Shadowx (26 posts) -

Guest Characters  yes. Guest artist maybe? As long as there new Characters have unique movesets, I don't really like clones. I personally would love to see somebody from Fire Emblem, (mainly Ike, Lyn, Roy, or Hector( I chose out of the leaders, since if it were somebody from Fire Emblem it would most likely be them))If it were to come to the new Nintendo system. But somebody from Capcom does seem likely since they are already working on The SFXT and TXSF together, and they have done Namco X Capcom before.

#24 Posted by Shadowx (26 posts) -
@Sreya

Well it has been confirmed before that there will be guest characters. I think Bayonetta would be an ok choise for Ps3 or Xbox30(which system is it on again). But i would prefer somebody else I guess. But it wouldnt matter to me is she is the guess character for thosse systems if it does come out on Project cafe/Wii HD/ Stream.
#25 Posted by JJOR64 (18916 posts) -

No please, but it will will happen again.   :(

#26 Posted by Shaymarx (113 posts) -

Thank you for reminding me of Necrid.  I miss him.

#27 Posted by zityz (2360 posts) -

The ONLY guest character that would be amazing for this game would be Haohmaru from Samurai Showdown.

Tell me that wouldn't be amazing?
#28 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -

Kamikirimusi was up there in my favourites from SC4 as a nicer Nightmare skin. I approve.

However, tie-ins from other franchises... NO.

#29 Posted by Lonely_Ogre (94 posts) -

I think it's fun having guest characters. Even if it is "cheesy" to have Yoda and Vader in the game, it made it fun. Besides, the whole Soul Calibur story is a little cheesy...(but I love it) I'm one of the few who looks forward to guest characters I guess.

#30 Posted by Spoonybard37 (300 posts) -
 @ThePhantomnaut said:
This ^
#31 Posted by DekuSword (27 posts) -
@weeman105 said:
Some of the guest characters they've used just don't mesh with the setting and atmosphere of the game. Star Wars??? Come on. This is a martial arts brawler, don't lose sight of that Capcom.

Almost died of laughter :P
#32 Posted by LiquidPrince (15857 posts) -

Kratos was in Soul Calibur? Oh the PSP game... right.

#33 Edited by DMC (10 posts) -

I have no problem with guest characters as long as they (more or less) fit the time period. I didn't mind it in SC2 (though I really only played the GC version) but it was one of the many reasons I HATED Soul Calibur IV.

Who should make it this time around? Hmmm haven't thought about it much for other systems other than nintendo but these would be my pics. 

Nariko :PS3
  Her blade functions in 3 ways. Nuff said

One of these 3 for the XBox 360

Myifee : since he has a unique weapon

Epharr : cause of her sword and she's hot ^_^
 Inphyy : eh why not

Link vs Ganondorf? SOLD!!
Ganondorf  : WiiU

Link : as a DLC
#34 Posted by DMC (10 posts) -
@Sreya said:
I just watched this episode of Invisible Walls where they talk about SCV at about the five minute mark.
One member of the show says that there will be a guest character, which is odd because I thought Namco didn't confirm or deny that.
He goes on to say that theres a rumor the guest character will be Bayonetta.

Personally I hope this is just a rumor, but what do you guys think?
Bayonetta? 
Dear God NO
#35 Posted by Deusoma (3001 posts) -

If we're naming guest characters, then how about Alice Liddell of American McGee's Alice / Alice: Madness Returns fame?
Distinctive outfit (with alternate costumes a-plenty provided by the new sequel), sharp melee weapon, experience with murdering fools... You have to admit, she fits in a hell of a lot better than Yoda and Starkiller ever did. Plus, she has a very small chest, so they can't ruin her image with a ridiculous amount of bounce. Maybe she and Tira could hang out and talk about being crazy over some nice tea.

Lethal!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.