Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

South Park: The Stick of Truth

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Mar 04, 2014

An Obsidian-developed role-playing game based on the South Park animated TV series, in which players control a new kid in the eponymous town of South Park and takes part in an epic pretend-fantasy story that threatens the entire town.

When are review supposed to hit?

• 77 results
    Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Anyone know when the review embargo is up? I am super interested but obsidian games have been hit and miss in terms of performance and quality and want to wait for the reviews to start rolling in

Yusar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Yusar

I found a link to what is supposedly a review guide from Ubisoft. It's from Neogaf and unverified, so you know, grain of salt.

Here it is. Says the embargo lifts 8AM UK time on release day. Guess that's midnigt on the west coast?

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Wolfgame

Any predictions on scores? I think a lot of it will come down to the games length and ability to maintain humor throughout

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A release day embargo scares me a little bit makes me wonder if there confident or if they know something there hoping people dont find out about till they payed there money.

@wolfgame: Honestly if its a good 16-20 hour rpg that isn't technically busted that's more then enough for me, there haven't been may of those lately

Yusar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfgame: Yeah maintaining the humor through 10+ hours of game sounds challenging, but if they nail it it could be potentially amazing. I really liked the quick look of the first 20 minutes and if that's indicative of the game as a whole I've got pretty high hopes.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yusar said:

@wolfgame: Yeah maintaining the humor through 10+ hours of game sounds challenging, but if they nail it it could be potentially amazing. I really liked the quick look of the first 20 minutes and if that's indicative of the game as a whole I've got pretty high hopes.

if there are two guys I trust to make something funny over a long period of time its the southpark guys, though if it is just 10+ hours of cartman that could get super old

ian280291

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Alex said on Bombin' the AM that it was a release day embargo

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#8  Edited By MachoFantastico

Been playing a fair amount of RPG's lately, but I'm intrigued by the Stick of Truth. Enjoyed what I've seen of it so far.

Hell, even if it's not great there's something about the South Park humor mixed in with what looks like solid RPG mechanics that interests me, they could do some crazy things. Shame it's being censored on console, PC version it is then.

bunnymud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what I saw on Twitch over the weekend, I noticed the enemies hit like beasts. Still, take this with a grain of salt.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@yusar said:

I found a link to what is supposedly a review guide from Ubisoft. It's from Neogaf and unverified, so you know, grain of salt.

Here it is. Says the embargo lifts 8AM UK time on release day. Guess that's midnigt on the west coast?

thank you for giving the UK time :D

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BasketSnake

It IS great. I'm level 13. Don't worry. I won't spoil it. The humor is the same old south park we love and it is consistent throughout. The jokes are also part of the battles. Homless people will ask you for chaaaaaange during battle.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#12  Edited By alistercat

This is exactly right. Seems like a solid game and will hinge mostly on your enjoyment of south park humour. For example... (minor spoiler)

The game seems based around a nazi zombie virus, and all the enemies use (intentionally) poorly cut excerpts from Hitler's speeches.

@machofantastico said:

Been playing a fair amount of RPG's lately, but I'm intrigued by the Stick of Truth. Enjoyed what I've seen of it so far.

Hell, even if it's not great there's something about the South Park humor mixed in with what looks like solid RPG mechanics that interests me, they could do some crazy things. Shame it's being censored on console, PC version it is then.

I watched two of the censored scenes on a stream and the abortion minigame just seemed bad. The streamer failed over a dozen times due to unclear instructions. Censorship sucks but at least you aren't missing anything. Hopefully they still keep the song though...

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alistercat: I wonder how they will handle the German version with that. LOL

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not gonna link to any of the channels, but walkthrough/LP vids are already popping up on youtube for the game, I haven't watched any outside of seeing that it was clearly new footage, so that is one option if you are desperate to see how the game is handling its humor later in game. They will probably be pulled down or they may just let it slide since it is so close to release, either way its an option to see more of the game at the time of this post.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

As someone who has finished the game I'll just say that the final boss fight sure does leave a lasting impression

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Darji

@wolfgame said:

Not gonna link to any of the channels, but walkthrough/LP vids are already popping up on youtube for the game, I haven't watched any outside of seeing that it was clearly new footage, so that is one option if you are desperate to see how the game is handling its humor later in game. They will probably be pulled down or they may just let it slide since it is so close to release, either way its an option to see more of the game at the time of this post.

There are twitch channels since a few days and they do not get pulled down at all. Someone actually finished the game 3 times already on twitch. Games length seems to be 15 hours with doing some sidequests so thats perfectly fine for me.

As for the score I am not really worried from what I saw it is great. However I really can not wait for some social commentary how you can not chose a woman as character or how this scene is racist, sexist etc. I really hope someone will something stupid like that with this game XD

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfgame said:

Any predictions on scores? I think a lot of it will come down to the games length and ability to maintain humor throughout

Don't forget to factor in the classic Obsidian glitch fest they are famous for.
    I'm thinking if there are really bad bugs we will see lots of 7's, 70's and high 3's and low 4's.
    But a lot of the time Obsidian is only glitchy due to having a forced time limit (KOTORII) or using or using an engine that is already notoriously buggy (Fallout New Vegas) I could see this game being well developed engine wise and probably getting high 4's low 5's and 8's and 80's.
    Of course I am pulling all of this from my ass, but it's fun to guess.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@wolfgame said:

There are twitch channels since a few days and they do not get pulled down at all. Someone actually finished the game 3 times already on twitch. Games length seems to be 15 hours with doing some sidequests so thats perfectly fine for me.

As for the score I am not really worried from what I saw it is great. However I really can not wait for some social commentary how you can not chose a woman as character or how this scene is racist, sexist etc. I really hope someone will something stupid like that with this game XD

Your wish will surely be granted, we are at all time high for grand standing bs on those social issues. On the point of 15 hours of gameplay while completing side quests I can't say that feels adequate to me. I will probably look closer at this game in a month or two for price drops because $60 for 15 hours doesn't ring well for me. I was honestly hoping for at least 25-30 hours.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfgame said:

@darji said:

@wolfgame said:

Your wish will surely be granted, we are at all time high for grand standing bs on those social issues. On the point of 15 hours of gameplay while completing side quests I can't say that feels adequate to me. I will probably look closer at this game in a month or two for price drops because $60 for 15 hours doesn't ring well for me. I was honestly hoping for at least 25-30 hours.

Length depends all on how you spend these hours in my opinion. Is it just meaningless stuff and filler I really do not want 20-30 hours. Of course long RPGs are great but I do not expect this much content from Southpark which is usually pretty fast and straightforward

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: quote tree getting long ;-p

but, that is a good point. I think I might be approaching it from the wrong angle, if the length was chosen in order to make sure that we aren't wading through 10+ hours of filler or grinding I can't really say that would be a bad decision. I think as gamers we have a gut reaction to make snap judgement calls as soon as we start hearing game length vs cost(at least I do). Most recently that came up concerning the new Metal Gear game. Even if it means grabbing this over spring break from red box, options exist to play the game without shelling out a full $60. So I won't continue my "sky is falling" overreaction just yet :-p

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Darji

@wolfgame said:

@darji: quote tree getting long ;-p

but, that is a good point. I think I might be approaching it from the wrong angle, if the length was chosen in order to make sure that we aren't wading through 10+ hours of filler or grinding I can't really say that would be a bad decision. I think as gamers we have a gut reaction to make snap judgement calls as soon as we start hearing game length vs cost(at least I do). Most recently that came up concerning the new Metal Gear game. Even if it means grabbing this over spring break from red box, options exist to play the game without shelling out a full $60. So I won't continue my "sky is falling" overreaction just yet :-p

Yeah people make too much fuss about the length of a game. back than games were 30-40 minutes and did cost the same but no one ever complained. Now with games getting more and more complex but also way more streamlined through which makes them shorter on purpose. Most importantly for me is. Will I be having a great time or not,

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

15 hours sounds perfect to me. Especially since I can imagine there being a fair bit of replayability anyway.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am so excited for this game. Anyone know if it's going to be available at midnight on steam?

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spraynardtatum: steam is good about updating product page with countdown timer, but it looks like they are gonna be waiting till early afternoon tomorrow to unlock the game on steam, not sure why that is the case.

No Caption Provided

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AlexW00d

@wolfgame said:

@spraynardtatum: steam is good about updating product page with countdown timer, but it looks like they are gonna be waiting till early afternoon tomorrow to unlock the game on steam, not sure why that is the case.

No Caption Provided

A lot of 'worldwide' releases (IE Tuesday everywhere) are done in America time. So it's 10am for Valve, which is when the store is updated. It's dumb, but whatever.

E: Oh wait nm it's not a worldwide release so you must be East Coast America instead? Same thing applies, 10am Valve time.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfgame said:

No Caption Provided

Okay thanks!

kurtkless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have we seen anything about the PC version? Will it use that terrible Ubisoft DRM? That's probably going to push me toward buying or not, I don't have a 360/ps3 hooked up anymore.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@kurtkless: you've been able to disable that since Assasins Creed 3 I believe.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Darji

Have we seen anything about the PC version? Will it use that terrible Ubisoft DRM? That's probably going to push me toward buying or not, I don't have a 360/ps3 hooked up anymore.

no it uses steamworks

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm more excited to see the reviews for this than I am for the actual game itself.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think reviews will largely be mixed simply because South Park humor seems as though you either love it, or you think it's extremely stupid.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krullban: chances are the person who is reviewing the game has some sort of fondness for southpark. Giving a game a bad score because you don't like the source material is pretty unfair. It's like assigning someone who despises Batman to review the arkham games.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krullban: chances are the person who is reviewing the game has some sort of fondness for southpark. Giving a game a bad score because you don't like the source material is pretty unfair. It's like assigning someone who despises Batman to review the arkham games.

But thats how stupid these reviewers are. Look at some reviews who people who hate racing games review racing games. Look how people who do not like RPgs review rpgs. There is no standard at all for this thing and its a damn shame.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Krullban

I dunno. I've seen my fair share of reviews from people who admittedly don't even like(Or even hate in some cases) the genre of the game they're reviewing.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Sackmanjones

@darji: what are your examples of this? Unless there is some circumstance that the person has to review it, people most likely people are asked what they want to review. I write for a website and that's exactly how they do it.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sackmanjones: A site I wrote for a few years ago had a "pool" system in which it was first come, first serve for reviewers. I got stuck with genres I hated twice. It wasn't strictly a game site so much as a general media site, though. (not that that makes the system any less questionable)

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By EthanielRain
    @wolfgame said:

I think it's gonna score really well in general, 9's and 10's.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@wolfgame said:

That, and I think also the individual reviewer's feeling toward an RPG's worth of South Park humor. A little can go an incredibly long way.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39  Edited By JJOR64

12:01 AM PST via Alex's Twitter.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490
    deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I say it will see low scores of 6.5, and high scores of 8.0, with an average of around 7. Being a lifelong South Park fan, I "know" that I'm going to love it more than the average person, unless it is a truly terrible game, which is always possible.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: what are your examples of this? Unless there is some circumstance that the person has to review it, people most likely people are asked what they want to review. I write for a website and that's exactly how they do it.

Latest one was Gran Turismo 6 one: A person who admits that she hates racing games thinks that they are boring and even said she does not even know why she is reviewing it reviewed the game and gave it a 6 and called it boring car porn XD

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quick Look too, this game is either going to be a train wreck or a south park fan's wet dream.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigjeffrey: so for stupid Europeans (Germans) In how many hours will it be there?

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Steadying

@darji: Around 5 hours. It should tell you when the quick look's coming on the front page.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like GB is doing the quick look at 12AM PST, or 3AM EST on release day. I'm sure the review will follow shortly (a quick look is kind of a review these days anyway). I know for a fact that some YouTube guys are doing Lets Play video of it (I'm watching the pewdiepie one as I type this) so there is content getting out there. Not sure if that violates any embargo, but it's out there if you want to see it.

I haven't played it yet, but from the trailers I've seen it looks like it might be pretty good. I love South Park so if this game is actually good It will be awesome. Like @bigjeffrey said, it's either going to be a train wreck or a South Park fan's wet dream.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#46  Edited By cornbredx

I have a feeling, and have for awhile, that this game is pretty good.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My guess is that this will be one of those games that nails exactly what it is trying to do and if that's what you want great. But if not, it won't be anything earthshattering. Luckily, I enjoy South Park and a little RPG from time to time.

devitiffany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By devitiffany

@darji said:

@wolfgame said:

Wait, can you not play as a female in the game?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Loading Video...

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devitiffany: does not look like there is a sex option. But long hair and looked like there's a lot of clothing choices. So umm...yes? Lol.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.