Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: Battlefront II

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Nov 01, 2005

The sequel to Star Wars: Battlefront, adding new game modes, new playable classes and abilities, revamped single-player modes, and huge space battles.

There is a Star Wars Battlefront 3 fan remake coming out on Steam

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By mikemcn

Oh boy, that would be cool, but disney is not going to play games with it's star wars ip, we'll see what happens.

EDIT: Yea so they didn't even bother to let disney find out about it, this is going to get shutdown real fast. At least contact them and say you're doing a free-work instead of spending lots of time only to see it taken down by copyright nonsense.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Well, at least by not contacting Disney, they can maybe get some hot scoops when the big and evil corporation eventually takes their game down.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems it would have been safer to make this a mod for some game, mods aren't under the same scrutiny, even if this is free, so too have other free fan projects got shut down.
    Disney is notorious for protecting its brand, and EA would be involved too of course and EA cut all ties with Steam after a certain date.
    The only proof so far Valve has agreed to this is the guy saying so. Did some searching, haven't seen anything official yet (correct me if I'm wrong).

This is just speculation on my part, but this just seems like a guy who thinks that if the game gets a lot of attention it will be safe because people will defend it? Or he is just super naive. Either way there is the lowest of low chances that this will be okay in the end, think we're looking at another dead fan project.
    Should have just been a mod.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yeah, this won't make it long until they get a cease and desist letter.

BrettVandelay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Battlefront 3 remake? There is no Battlefront 3.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

With places like Gamespot and Kotaku reporting on it, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney gives them a C&D here soon.

Trenox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disney has to stop this. If not, you will see lots of scammers (not fan projects) trying to take advantage of the Star Wars IP.. Sadly that is the world we live in.

RickRockmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder how far along this is? They'd be smart to keep this project on the down-low until they're totally ready for a public release. If this game ends up being really cool, Disney can only stop development; they can't really do anything about fans sharing it and playing on their own servers.

This actually reminds me of Galactic Warfare, a rad Star Wars conversion mod for Call of Duty 4 that I played a bunch of. It's a different situation, being a mod and also coming out before the Disney buyout but still, I don't think the dudes who made it ever got in any legal trouble for it?

Avatar image for deactivated-5835c1f29813e
    deactivated-5835c1f29813e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love to see fan made projects like this, even if they are hardly ever allowed to be released. There's a person on YouTube who has made levels from Super Mario 64, the Ocarina of Time, and Mario Kart 64 in the Unreal Engine with modern graphics and they look amazing. Then there's another person who's working on a project called Shadow Moses, remaking the first Metal Gear Solid with modern game dev tools. Awesome stuff!

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I love to see fan made projects like this, even if they are hardly ever allowed to be released. There's a person on YouTube who has made levels from Super Mario 64, the Ocarina of Time, and Mario Kart 64 in the Unreal Engine with modern graphics and they look amazing. Then there's another person who's working on a project called Shadow Moses, remaking the first Metal Gear Solid with modern game dev tools. Awesome stuff!

My favourite thing like that was the CryEngine remake of Crash Bandicoot...

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#12 fisk0  Moderator

Steam pretty notoriously doesn't really do any curation on the stuff that appears on Steam any more, so they being OK with having it on there doesn't say much. They've just put a button on each store page to flag products after release instead, and have removed plenty of games from the store after reports from users and publishers.

The guy Gamespot talked to seemed to think they would be the publishers by allowing that, which wouldn't be the case.

Avatar image for deactivated-5835c1f29813e
    deactivated-5835c1f29813e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard: Wow, I haven't seen that one yet. Looks great!

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I probably shouldn't be, but I'm surprised Valve would actually let something like this through Greenlight. Also kinda surprised by how safe the developers think they are from a cease and desist. It seems more than a bit delusional to think that Disney would just let this slide.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Just waiting for the other shoe to drop and the title of this thread changed to past tense.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By The_Nubster

@bollard: I can't get over how garish these UE4 "remakes" look. Slapping high-res textures on existing geometry or making 1:1 recreations with better assets looks just... bad. It's great practice and a muoy bueno way to learn the tools, but to see people get excited over them as if they could be a full game is baffling.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a PR ploy. Developer likely has other projects in the works, and did this to drum up attention for themselves and those other projects. When Disney inevitably drops the hammer, they are going to try their best to play up the underdog angle to make themselves seem like the victim just wanting to do right by Battlefront.

Krighten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like this could escape the Disney hammer only because of how large of an IP Star Wars is and the confidence that they have in the IP. They might have the mindset that more SW stuff on the market just feeds the behemoth, whether it be officially licensed, mods, etc. If this ends up being better than what Dice has done, then there's definitely a problem with Dice

schlorgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@brayvonmartin: That's what I was thinking. Unless they've somehow gotten ahold of code from the cancelled game (which I doubt).

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No doubt it'll get shut down, but for sure this is just for show. Others have done this in the past, it's a good way to get noticed, have it seen by a developer. Builds up notoriety quickly, not just from professional outlets but from consumers who might retain interest in what the studio does down the line.

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did the remake for crash bandicoot get nixed or what? Cuz that would be amazing

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.