KOTOR trouble

#1 Posted by Rezonator (66 posts) -

I just recently bought KOTOR on steam and it crashes at the main menu I'm having no luck finding a fix on the Lucas Arts forums i was wondering has anyone else encountered this problem and found a fix 
I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit  

#2 Edited by rjayb89 (7720 posts) -
#3 Posted by Rezonator (66 posts) -

iv tried that running with compatibility mode and having it set to administrative rights i thought installing the patch would help but it makes the game unplayable as it says at the start you need the disk even though its a digital download ah well thats 8 euro down the drain  

#4 Edited by Rezonator (66 posts) -

if anyone else is having this problem I found the solution to the problem what you must do is go to  
control panel -> system -> advance -> data and performance and then add then add the .exe on to the DEP list  

#5 Posted by Jadeskye (4367 posts) -
@Rezonator: i was just about to suggest that. oh well, glad you fixed it =) keep in mind that most games will run on win 7 64bit with the right tinkering.
#6 Edited by MattyFTM (14370 posts) -

I had a similar problem on vista (it would actually play, but freeze & stop after playing for 5 minutes). I tried a few things to fix it, but I think the one that worked was program that disabled one of my processor cores (on my dual core processor) and it ran fine. Apparently KOTOR doesn't like multi-core processors, & disabling the additional cores helps. 

I can't remember the exact program I used (sorry I couldn't be more help) but hopefully a google search should be able to find it.

EDIT: Just read the replies in more detail and have seen you actually fixed it. Obviously wasn't the same problem I had then.

#7 Posted by Jeust (10559 posts) -

DEP sucks!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.