Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Free 2 Play Old Republic Hits November 15th

• 74 results
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By jakob187

Is anyone still playing Old Republic? Does anyone still have any interest in checking the game out? Honestly, the game should've been a Free 2 Play all along. Nonetheless, if you never got a chance to play the game...or you were one of the multiple haters that didn't bother playing it to actually solidify your opinion, The Old Republic's F2P launch has a date now: November 15th. That's in seven days, folks!

Anyone plan on jumping back in or even trying the game out for the first time?

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By iceman228433

Yea when it goes Free 2 Play people should play it for no other reason then the story and all of that will be free.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#3  Edited By Kidavenger

I bought the game when they were selling it for $10 in the summer, still haven't installed it, I wanted to finish KotOR 2 before getting into this but I just haven't had the time, too many games too little time...

Edit: would there be any reason to register a paid copy before the switch over, I was kind of planning to play up to 50 for free then register and see if I could get through all the gated content within the free month.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Maybe you get some republic credits or whatever?

I'll give it a go, though maybe after Christmas as there's so many other games to play.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By breadfan

Man, I really really wanted to love the Old Republic. I had some fun with it at launch, but I just couldn't bring myself to continue passed the free monthly membership. There was always this underlying feeling that the game should have been free to play since the beginning.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I played in the beta and immediately cancelled my pre-order. The monthly fee was one of the biggest barriers though, the story stuff is handled quite well, it's just the gameplay and mechanics that are horrible.

I'll consider jumping into the F2P version so I can see the end of the story, but I'm not overly excited for it and I don't see this resurrecting the game. There are far better MMO's out there, paid and F2P.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jakob187

I subscribed for a good three or four months. The endgame was just too easy (aside from Nightmare Soa, what a fucking douchebag!) and the updates weren't often enough for me. I'll definitely check out the F2P myself, but with Guild Wars 2 consuming my fucking soul...plus all these games coming out, man...it's just a hard thing to commit to right now.

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By Nev

I'm curious to play it again, after getting into Guild Wars 2. I played a month or so at launch, and thought the game was fine, but it never quite stuck, so I'll gladly give it a go sooner or later to see how it holds up.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Animasta

gonna finally finish that game, I got up to level 40 world and stopped with my imperial agent

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Not interested personally, but it's pretty sad to see the game going free to play so soon.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ajamafalous

I'd still be playing it now but I couldn't justify the monthly fee when I was already paying for that yearly sub of WoW that I did to get Diablo III free (a whole hell of a lot of bad decisions piling up).

I had already hit 50 and had three other 30s so I won't really be 'discovering' anything, just continuing to play a game that I found to be a lot of fun. It's a shame that the PVP is gated so hard because that's really what I enjoyed the most in the game. For those wondering, here's how the F2P breaks down.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Fredchuckdave

I may just to see the random storyline stuff, but have other games to play first and don't care nearly as much about Star Wars as I did a decade ago.

nightonyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By nightonyx

I bought the game when it came out and played for a bit but stopped due to the subscription. I will definitely start playing again though because I did enjoy it quite a bit. I'm actually pretty excited about being able to finish the storyline of my character.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Funkydupe

I will check out the game again.

I'm curious, do people still have to buy the game before they can play, or is it free entry as well as free to play per month?

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Venatio

It's sad that it's free so soon but I can't wait to play it for mostly free, really enjoyed what I played on a friends account

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Funkydupe

They're limiting hotbar access for free users, is it true? I'd think that at least the GUI was the same for everyone, but apparently not.

smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By smcn

As someone who quit a couple months after launch I'm super excited. I burned out on raiding pretty quickly (mainly because there was so little of it and it was not difficult) but I still want to see some of the other class stories.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By clstirens

I quit the game because it had gotten so deserted on my server, it just wasn't an MMO.

I really was enjoying 4-player co-op stories, though, so I hope to jump right back in.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jakob187

@Funkydupe said:

I will check out the game again.

I'm curious, do people still have to buy the game before they can play, or is it free entry as well as free to play per month?

It's free entry all around. Just download the client from their site when it launches on November 15th and download.

I would encourage everyone to give the game a shot. The story stuff is fucking excellent (Sith Warrior is such a brutal storyline). The raids and dungeons are pretty cool, if not a little simple overall. I quit playing shortly after patch 1.2 (I believe that was the one) as healers were beaten to death with a nerf bat, making it rather impossible to run dungeons and raids at the time. They eventually fixed it, but it was too late for me. Once you get off a raid schedule, it's a bit tough to get back into it.

I do miss our guild, though. My friends and I started a guild called The Billy Joel Tribute Band. We played Billy Joel over the system at the start of every raid. In Billy Joel We Trust.

Ryan would fucking HATE me for that.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By AndrewB

I'll play it for the story, absolutely. If that part is unrestricted, why wouldn't I at the price of free, when it's the only part of the package I'd be interested in.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d4cf64585b7
    deactivated-57d4cf64585b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cannot say that I am really all that curious in this game. I will probably play through the story as the first KOTR was great. Though after that I won't be really sticking around.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By uhtaree

@Funkydupe said:

They're limiting hotbar access for free users, is it true? I'd think that at least the GUI was the same for everyone, but apparently not.

The highly customizable UI was the best part of that game when I tried it, lame. This free-to-play model seems all wrong, my interest in this game isn't gonna get me over the hump to pay for the features they lock away for subscribers, I just won't play it at all. Get me addicted to the full featured product then rip it away from me at level 20 or something...

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@aquamarin said:

@Funkydupe said:

The highly customizable UI was the best part of that game when I tried it, lame. This free-to-play model seems all wrong, my interest in this game isn't gonna get me over the hump to pay for the features they lock away for subscribers, I just won't play it at all. Get me addicted to the full featured product then rip it away from me at level 20 or something...

they stopped limiting hotbars after negative fan reaction

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@jakob187: what server?

NuclearPanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NuclearPanic

@Kidavenger said:

I bought the game when they were selling it for $10 in the summer, still haven't installed it, I wanted to finish KotOR 2 before getting into this but I just haven't had the time, too many games too little time...

Edit: would there be any reason to register a paid copy before the switch over, I was kind of planning to play up to 50 for free then register and see if I could get through all the gated content within the free month.

http://www.swtor.com/free

This is the only one I am aware of.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By penguindust

I'm interested but, geez, how big is the download going to be? I imagine around 30 gigs, at least. That would take a couple of days for me at best.

donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By donkeycow

I might check it out now that it's free to play, but i highly doubt it will hold my interest for any significant length of time.

m16mojo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By m16mojo2

Thank you SO much for posting the "launch" date! The main site was about as helpful, as would banging your head against the wall. lol.

I bought the Collectors Edition. /facepalm. Anyway, I got the e-mail they sent out about it. And, I get 1300... coins? ...yay?

I haven't played in a long time, so maybe I can buy a cool hat with that, and dance like a fool around town. Maybe become a french robot.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Wuddel

@clstirens: They have changed their server model. Here in europe this means there is only one server per languange-type combination e.g. only one german PvE server. I guess it is similar across the pond. Servers are PACKED!

I still have been playing all these months since I have long time friends which are pretty dedicated. However we switched from PvE focus to PvP.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By clstirens

@Wuddel: Good. Servers when the game launched were packed, and to reduce performance problems, zones were instanced to keep population down. But we already had a ton of individual servers, too. So it felt pretty sparse anyways.

It works better to have one server, that can break into sub-servers, than a ton of servers.

So maybe this way is better.

SagaciousJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SagaciousJones

@Kidavenger said:

I wanted to finish KotOR 2 before getting into this but I just haven't had the time, too many games too little time...

Bad idea. If you're interested if TOR for the story, playing 2 first may just frustrate you. TOR's over-arching plot spits in the face of Obsidian and KOTOR 2 fans, retconning anything of importance and outright stealing some story elements.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#32  Edited By Jeust

I will play it, but not now, as I have little time to spend on mmos.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AngelN7

Call of Duty 3... for the Wii

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@SagaciousJones: its not the game itself that ruined it it was the reven tie in book if i remember correctly@SagaciousJones said:

@Kidavenger said:

I wanted to finish KotOR 2 before getting into this but I just haven't had the time, too many games too little time...

Bad idea. If you're interested if TOR for the story, playing 2 first may just frustrate you. TOR's over-arching plot spits in the face of Obsidian and KOTOR 2 fans, retconning anything of importance and outright stealing some story elements.

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By NekuCTR

Welp, have at it.

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By david3cm

@NekuCTR: Is it in affect now?

IceColdGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By IceColdGamer

I bought the Digital Deluxe version. Played it for about 3 weeks, and haven't played it since. Just wasn't impressed. Sad, I was really stoked.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By artelinarose

I met Brodehouse through TOR so great or awful, I love this game. Free to play is absolutely worth it.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TheHT

sorry TOR, when i pull myself away from ps all stars and get my pc situation all sorted out, it's straight back to GW2 and X-COM. good to know it'll be available soon though.

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By topsteer

@david3cm: I don't believe so. I think they're doing maintenance until 1 P.M. Eastern time. When it comes back up it should be with the 1.5 patch and free to play.

byterunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By byterunner

i have a few alts that I would like to see the story with. I don't have much problem with all the restrictions since almost all of it is end game post leveling things that, while I don't mind doing, is something I don't need. The only issue I have with the game is that they've locked Sprint. Seriously, its almost impossible to play that game without Sprint.

deathbyyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By deathbyyeti

a bad game is still a bad no matter how free you make it

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By devilzrule27

Wasn't a bad game.

nights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By nights

I decided to resub the other day. I don't know how it's happened, but it has. I pre-ordered SWTOR at the last minute, played it for about a week and then dropped it cold. Never went past the free month. I've been laughing at EA and Bioware ever since. In some ways, I view SWTOR as the anti-MMO (due to the heavy focus on story), yet here I am. I'M SO CONFUSED.

Anyway, being able to jump back into SWTOR with prior knowledge as to what the game is actually all about, allows me to appreciate its strengths. Story and the fact that it's Star Wars, though the latter depends on personal taste. If you're looking for an expansive MMORPG littered with freedom and non-combat related content to keep things fresh (what I usually look for), you've come to the wrong place. I know a few people picking it back up once it goes F2P later today, so it should make for an enjoyable leveling experience.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Benny

Well you can also try guild wars 2 for free this weekend if a player invites you so I'd recommend you try that first before this.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Wuddel

@byterunner: If you had a subscription at some point you should be "prefered" and get level 1 sprint - FTP should get it at 15.

Gnorbooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Gnorbooth

I still actively play and will stay subbed for the time being. So come on over to The Harbinger and get some levels, see some stories, and eat some space chips.

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By NekuCTR

"Today’s server maintenance has been extended with no ETA. We will update as soon as we have more info. Thank you for your patience." says the devs on twitter.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Funkydupe

Great...

No ETA... after a 12 hour announced "maintenance".

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By superfriend

Oh man, I was looking forward to playing this... seems like they can´t even handle going free to play. Fix yer shit, devs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.