Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

It's True: EA Limiting Star Wars: The Old Republic Pre-Orders

• 177 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
    EA isn't saying what the magic cut-off moment is for pre-order sales of The Old Republic.
    EA isn't saying what the magic cut-off moment is for pre-order sales of The Old Republic.

Electronic Arts is going to prevent you from buying Star Wars: The Old Republic at some point--and I'm not talking about the inevitable future where the servers are coming down. EA has confirmed reports out of Gamescom the publisher will be limiting both retail and digital pre-orders of BioWare's Star Wars MMO, in order to control the game's initial rollout.

"We are limiting launch quantities of Star Wars: The Old Republic to ensure players have a smooth and high quality game experience and service at launch," said a company spokesperson over email.

The spokesperson was unwilling to disclose what the cut-off number is for The Old Republic sales, but did confirm its extension into retail.

MMOs have notoriously bad launches, with companies consistently finding themselves unable to handle the first waves of players jumping onto the servers. Early adopters can find themselves without a game to play. MMOs have proven time and time again that you can stress test for months and still not be prepared for the real thing.

A cynic would look at this news and figure it's just a way to generate more headlines, with eventual press releases proclaiming the game being "sold out" or "almost sold out" to help encourage early sales. It'd be nice to be proven wrong.

We don't have a release date for the game yet, however. EA has said it's definitely coming before the end of its fiscal year at the end of next March, but is hoping to release it before the end of the year.

"We’re holding the date for two reasons," said EA Games president Frank Gibeau back in May. "First, we don't want to tip off the competition; second, we want more data from the beta test to guarantee a spectacular experience at launch."

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek

Electronic Arts is going to prevent you from buying Star Wars: The Old Republic at some point--and I'm not talking about the inevitable future where the servers are coming down. EA has confirmed reports out of Gamescom the publisher will be limiting both retail and digital pre-orders of BioWare's Star Wars MMO, in order to control the game's initial rollout.

"We are limiting launch quantities of Star Wars: The Old Republic to ensure players have a smooth and high quality game experience and service at launch," said a company spokesperson over email.

The spokesperson was unwilling to disclose what the cut-off number is for The Old Republic sales, but did confirm its extension into retail.

MMOs have notoriously bad launches, with companies consistently finding themselves unable to handle the first waves of players jumping onto the servers. Early adopters can find themselves without a game to play. MMOs have proven time and time again that you can stress test for months and still not be prepared for the real thing.

A cynic would look at this news and figure it's just a way to generate more headlines, with eventual press releases proclaiming the game being "sold out" or "almost sold out" to help encourage early sales. It'd be nice to be proven wrong.

We don't have a release date for the game yet, however. EA has said it's definitely coming before the end of its fiscal year at the end of next March, but is hoping to release it before the end of the year.

"We’re holding the date for two reasons," said EA Games president Frank Gibeau back in May. "First, we don't want to tip off the competition; second, we want more data from the beta test to guarantee a spectacular experience at launch."

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Icon

first?

as for the story, I don't think this is such a bad idea. if they're confident their game is good enough to hook people, limiting the amount of customers to ensure a smooth roll-out sounds like a good plan. this is also one of the rare instances of EA refusing to take your money at any opportunity.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Animasta

uh, this sure seems like a smart decision that could never backfire at all

Malphye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Malphye

I totally believe this bs.

madlaughter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By madlaughter

Sounds good to me.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Giantstalker

Yet another reason not to play SW:TOR at launch.

zyzus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By zyzus

Here's to wondering how phased potential SWTOR buyers will be by this move...

Skogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Skogen

Makes sense.

Nothing is more off putting than spending the money and having an unplayable game for the first couple weeks.

darth_infamous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By darth_infamous

I still don't understand why this is news, they said this a month ago at Comic-Con.

proflate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By proflate

This game is going to be such a colossal failure oh my god.

Avatar image for white_silhouette
    White_Silhouette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By White_Silhouette

This makes complete sense. A highly anticipated game is going to have limited quantities so they make less money on sales then possible if not limited. Or they say the are limiting the sales so those who really want in will pre-order thinking it'll ensure they get in. While they have no intention of limiting but want to boost pre-order numbers to show investors.

Not that I'm jaded gamer or anything either ;)

fleethefactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By fleethefactory
    @Icon said:

first?

as for the story, I don't think this is such a bad idea. if they're confident their game is good enough to hook people, limiting the amount of customers to ensure a smooth roll-out sounds like a good plan. this is also one of the rare instances of EA refusing to take your money at any opportunity.

I don't think this is so bad either. Maybe if publishers did this more often it would help people not purchase things with a certain expectation. $50 is a lot to pay to play a game for 30 days and have it sit on your shelf forever (I'm looking at you DC Universe).
    Taka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Taka

Even with these restrictions in place....the storm at lauchday will take them servers down anyway

zFUBARz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By zFUBARz

OH GOD!!! I have to go preorder my copy now while i still can!

MarcusCoxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MarcusCoxus

I think this is a terrible idea.

What EA should do is start a closed beta and slowly widen it over a period of time. Then once the servers are stable they should open it up, giving people a trial and then at full launch asking them to pay for the full game.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By GaspoweR

This seems everything will be for naught for this game...

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By asmo917

I pre-ordered a copy when they became available because I'm really, really curious to see how this turns out. Does that mean I might be able to get a copy on release day? What percentage of pre-orders are guaranteed? Is it retailer specific?

sirchode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#18  Edited By sirchode

Smart idea. If they know their launch servers can handle 2,000,000 users then they'll sell 2,000,000 copies and make it, what, the first smooth MMO launch in history? It never occurred to me that MMO launches are a bit like the airline industry who will sell 300 tickets for a plane that only holds 250 people.

Curious to see how they handle the ramp-up after launch since the buzz will probably be positive following a good launch and even more people will want in

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By vitor

MMOs live and die by their initial launch - the market has proven that you cannot come back from a bad launch time and time again. If the money EA invested in this is as much as people claim, then they're in it for the long run and they can't afford a bad launch.

Seems like a wise move to me. The game is already getting insane preorder numbers - them claiming it to be sold out due to limited initial copies doesn't generate more positive buzz than that.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Subjugation

This is silly. Watch them have launch day catastrophe anyway and screw sales with this silly move.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sirdesmond

I think this is a good concept, but I am interested to see how it actually pays off for Bioware and EA in the end.

All of the bad press, complaints, tweets, etc. that go along with some of the more notable horrendous MMO launches (Aion) can be avoided for a game that will unquestionably have far more people looking to get in on day one. In those cases, most people weren't even able to really play for nearly a week or so later due to the ridiculous queues, server-outages, etc. that this seems like a much better approach. They could always lift their digital download cap immediately when they realize that they can now handle more players.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Example1013

I take it they're going to combine this with a phased digital rollout of pre-loads so the patch, login, and distribution servers aren't going to be crippled when everyone goes to download like StarCraft 2 or whatever was?

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TotalEklypse
    @MarcusCoxus said:

I think this is a terrible idea.

What EA should do is start a closed beta and slowly widen it over a period of time. Then once the servers are stable they should open it up, giving people a trial and then at full launch asking them to pay for the full game.

You know, that is a pretty damn good idea. 
    Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Funkydupe

Pre-Ordered! So now I don't care about any of this news.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#25  Edited By Dagbiker

Dude, im totally going to preorder it now.

darkjester74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By darkjester74

How great would it be if they never hit their pre-order limits? 
    Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is still no way in hell EA pulls any sort of a profit out of this game. Its so horrendously over budget at this point that there isn't much they can do.

thenexus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By thenexus
    @President_Barackbar said:

There is still no way in hell EA pulls any sort of a profit out of this game. Its so horrendously over budget at this point that there isn't much they can do.

Have you got any facts on this? When I last saw an interview Bioware said they were well on track etc.

This is actually nothing new, we have seen this on other MMO's - It is just a means to get people to pre-order.
    jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jozzy

Anyone that endured the Warhammer Online launch will tell you this is a very good idea. Nothing is more damning than an overcrowded launch. MMO players are fickle as hell, they all jump on the next big thing and a large chunk, however good the game may be, will return to their invested game leaving half empty servers.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Meowshi
    @President_Barackbar said:

Bullshit.  They've already stated how many subscribers they need to break even and make a profit.  It's not small, but it's not exactly WoW numbers either.
    Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Funkydupe
    @darkjester74 said:
    How great would it be if they never hit their pre-order limits? 
    Smooth launch ahead, surely. I want that smooth launch. The rest of you can piss off as long as it means I get my smooth launch.
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By benjaebe

This makes complete sense to me. Not only does a limited launch size take the stress off the servers, it also gives the developers time to squash bugs that will arise when you have a massive number of players playing the game. I've heard horror stories from people who have worked on MMO launches that were swamped with bug tickets because their initial player base was so high and, as such, were unable to fix them quickly. 

I hope that the gradual launch process works for them. It's an interesting and seemingly viable solution to an all-too-common problem that MMOs face at launch.

BinaryDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By BinaryDragon

dumb. How much money do they have? They should just buy more servers.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Meowshi
    @Ezekeilpurger said:

This game is going to be such a colossal failure oh my god.

Uh, what? 

How is this indicative of the game being a "colossal failure oh my god"?  They've seen the launches of other MMOs, where the servers were not able to handle the sheer number of players; and they've taken steps to eliminate that problem.  They saw something that was done wrong and are attempting to do right.  This is a good decision.   

Use your brain.
    Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Funkydupe
    @BinaryDragon said:

dumb. How much money do they have? They should just buy more servers.

I think they've got plenty of servers. EA is spinning your little mind.
    Avatar image for deactivated-6620058d9fa01
    deactivated-6620058d9fa01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The servers are going to blow up anyway.

Nocall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Nocall

Well, at least it seems they have a lot of faith in the game's quality.

I mean, if it was crap--and they knew it--then this would be an incredibly dumb move. The "delayed launch" would give a large number of consumers time to really read reviews (both professional and amateur) and, if it was crap, actually not buy it (thereby losing them revenue).

So, if that roundabout logic is true (probably? probably not?), then this game won't be gawdawful.

pandashake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By pandashake

I am going to be that cynic. No company will want to limit themselves from getting more revenue.

saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39  Edited By saddlebrown

This is smart. World of Warcraft didn't come out of the gate strong, but got way better over time to become the juggernaut it is today. MMOs today don't have that luxury because they're competing with World of Warcraft at its most refined. If they don't hit the ground running, they're totally screwed. Server problems, balance issues, bugs, etc. all need to be ironed out quickly without it ruining the game's reputation before it's even a week or two old. Probably the smartest decision EA could've made here.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Funkydupe
    @Skooky said:

The servers are going to blow up anyway.

Too many Imperial players, the Emo-radiation level will melt the servers. Then the level of nerd rage will make the EA customer support center implode.
    TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TorMasturba

That settles it then, I'm not buying it until I know it's good game, based on other gamer's opinions and even then I'll wait until Bioware have ironed out some of the gameplay kinks in it first

megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

#42  Edited By megalowho

So this is the new pre-order bonus, getting the chance to play the game after it's released? MMO launches can be rocky but I never expected a company as big as EA would actually turn away potential customers because their infrastructure can't support the full launch of their product. Have an open beta, do stress tests, buy servers. Don't turn away customers.

pandashake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By pandashake
    @whatisdelicious: That's true, but there's no way they can implement timely patches for bugs and too early for balance issues while still not letting people buy the game. The only thing they may be ensuring is less lag which doesn't make financial sense since they can just tell people to "be patient with the lag" and get all the pre-order revenue.
    Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Funkydupe

Its probably smart to wait knowing how MMOs can be right after launch especially. But I'm not that smart, so fuck it.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#45  Edited By crusader8463
    @PandaShake said:
    I am going to be that cynic. No company will want to limit themselves from getting more revenue.
    They do if by selling more copies at launch means fucking themselves over in the long run when the game they are selling only makes money by keep a long time player base. By limiting those sales they can maximize the number of happy people that will be more likely to keep playing for a long time instead of a large influx of people at the start who just quit a few months later because of a terrible experience.
    sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#46  Edited By sammo21

I bet $100 that there will still be server problems.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#47  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

YAY MORE REASON FOR THE HATERS TO HATE!

Ugh... I got my pre-order in and I am going to enjoy the damn game!

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Meowshi
    @PandaShake said:
    If the game has a terrible launch, there revenue will be shit anyway.  Any smart company would realize this.  They aren't limited their revenue.  They are securing a subscriber base by releasing a well-polished product at launch.   

Or at least, that's what they want us to believe.  
    pandashake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By pandashake
    @crusader8463: True, but there's also a possible chance of there being a ton of furious angry pc game players when they are still not able to buy the game within a week leading to boycott, badmouthing, etc etc just because their servers are not "well-polished" enough at launch the poster below me seem to say.
    This_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By This_Dude

Sounds to me like a stunt to drive up pre-orders.   Otherwise this is just nonsense.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.