Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Last day of the free month

• 83 results
    Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Zithe

I cancelled about a week ago. I might come back when they add in a dungeon finder to instantly create groups. That's a must for me after playing WoW.

g00ber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By g00ber

@ajamafalous said:

@g00ber said:

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

I love when unemployed people complain that they got to maximum level in under a month and act like it's the game's fault that they had 250 hours of time on their hands in a single month.

And no, I can't be arsed. It's $15. Who cares? I'm still playing it here and there.

So true. How in the flying *&^% do you have that much time? Even if you're unemployed... Go do something else. ANYTHING. Stop bitching that you conquered every fucking thing in the game because you have an inordinate amount of time to play. This is a solid, entertaining MMO. Especially after a long day at work. It's unfortunate how offended and entitled people feel when it comes to something they willingly paid for.

Why would it matter how much time someone took to see everything? It suddenly invalidates their opinion because they, in your eyes, rushed through it?

I'm not saying it invalidates their opinion nor am I telling them how they should spend their time. But if you rush to the level cap in a brand new MMO, and allegedly complete all content there is to be completed in a month, then I really don't have much sympathy for you. It's an MMO and most people know what they are getting into when they subscribe to one; minimal content at launch with progressive content released over the weeks/months/years or whatever. SWTOR isn't perfect by a long shot, but don't expect Bioware to release new content or improvements on your time schedule because you drained the well so quickly. I just wish people would be a little patient and not throw their arms up in the air like children and scream "ZomG! CANCELED - fuck u biowear!!" if the game isn't perfect at launch.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By CaptainCody

@ajamafalous said:

@g00ber said:

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

I love when unemployed people complain that they got to maximum level in under a month and act like it's the game's fault that they had 250 hours of time on their hands in a single month.

And no, I can't be arsed. It's $15. Who cares? I'm still playing it here and there.

So true. How in the flying *&^% do you have that much time? Even if you're unemployed... Go do something else. ANYTHING. Stop bitching that you conquered every fucking thing in the game because you have an inordinate amount of time to play. This is a solid, entertaining MMO. Especially after a long day at work. It's unfortunate how offended and entitled people feel when it comes to something they willingly paid for.

Why would it matter how much time someone took to see everything? It suddenly invalidates their opinion because they, in your eyes, rushed through it?

Isn't this free time argument self-defeating when people could just play good games rather than a cloned MMO that is already, at this point, outdated?

megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

#54  Edited By megalowho

I cancelled about a week ago. It did scratch that MMO itch for a little bit, but I find that itch is getting easier and easier to satisfy as more MMO's come and go. They all bring something interesting to the table but the overall formula/grind is just too familiar for me at this point to really get sucked in for the long haul.

I did enjoy some parts of the game, story stuff was cool for the most part. I might resub down the line when I have some free time with nothing else to play and try to hit the cap with my IA. Just not worth the monthly fee/time investment for me right now.

EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By EmuLeader

@CaptainCody said:

@ajamafalous said:

@g00ber said:

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

Isn't this free time argument self-defeating when people could just play good games rather than a cloned MMO that is already, at this point, outdated?

Clearly the people who sink that much time into the game were enjoying it at some point enough to play for an excess amount of time. You contributed nothing in your comment beyond making it an excuse to bash the game. The whole point of the argument is not centered around free time. Its based on people playing alot of the game in a short amount of time and complaining there isn't more. Most people who have normal schedules do will play at a much slower pace, and so all the content will last them a much longer (real time not game time) experience. The game must be "good" to them if they are willing to play over a hundred hours of it, so please refrain making a useless comment bashing people's opinion of a game, when they could really care less about yours.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Ares42
    @g00ber said:

@ajamafalous said:

@g00ber said:

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

I'm not saying it invalidates their opinion nor am I telling them how they should spend their time. But if you rush to the level cap in a brand new MMO, and allegedly complete all content there is to be completed in a month, then I really don't have much sympathy for you. It's an MMO and most people know what they are getting into when they subscribe to one; minimal content at launch with progressive content released over the weeks/months/years or whatever. SWTOR isn't perfect by a long shot, but don't expect Bioware to release new content or improvements on your time schedule because you drained the well so quickly. I just wish people would be a little patient and not throw their arms up in the air like children and scream "ZomG! CANCELED - fuck u biowear!!" if the game isn't perfect at launch.

Tbh I haven't really seen a lot of "I finished the game, so I'm leaving" posts, either here or on the official forums. Sure there's a lot of people that rushed to the end-game that are upset about the game, not because of the lack of content but because the content that's there has many and major issues. I already said this in the other thread about Ilum, but it's not about Bioware making a single mistake. Although what you often see is someone raging about a specific topic most of the time it's just a "straw that broke the camels back" thing. Personally I didn't expect the game to be perfect at all, but when there's almost nothing I can do at end-game that doesn't have some major issue in one way or another and whenever Bioware tries to fix things they end up screwing up things even more it's hard to keep supporting the game.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#57  Edited By ajamafalous

I still don't understand how the speed at which someone exhausts the content has anything to do with whether they can say they want more. 

If I play through Super Mario Bros. and limit myself to one level a day every day until I beat it, it's okay for me to want more when it's over, but if I play through the whole game in one sitting, I'm not allowed that same opinion? I still completed the same amount of content, I just did it in a different time frame. Why should that have any effect on whether I'm allowed to pass judgement on the game?

Onced

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Onced

I'm kinda torn. I really enjoy the story content, dungeons and to a lesser extent the voice acting but it's constantly being tinged with unlikeability. The sloppy controls, poor UI , lack of LFD and unresponsive abilities (which the devs finally addressed) are really sinking my enjoyment. I may come back in a few months and see what's changed, hopefully Bioware nails down the few loose screws that have stuck out.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Ares42
    @ajamafalous said:
    I still don't understand how the speed at which someone exhausts the content has anything to do with whether they can say they want more.  If I play through Super Mario Bros. and limit myself to one level a day every day until I beat it, it's okay for me to want more when it's over, but if I play through the whole game in one sitting, I'm not allowed that same opinion? I still completed the same amount of content, I just did it in a different time frame. Why should that have any effect on whether I'm allowed to pass judgement on the game?
    Not to mention the fact that 250 hours is a very generous estimate. I hit 50 in 73 hours, counting the early access that would be less than 2 hours played every day averaged over the first free month.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#60  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Ares42 said:
    @ajamafalous said:
    I still don't understand how the speed at which someone exhausts the content has anything to do with whether they can say they want more.  If I play through Super Mario Bros. and limit myself to one level a day every day until I beat it, it's okay for me to want more when it's over, but if I play through the whole game in one sitting, I'm not allowed that same opinion? I still completed the same amount of content, I just did it in a different time frame. Why should that have any effect on whether I'm allowed to pass judgement on the game?
    Not to mention the fact that 250 hours is a very generous estimate. I hit 50 in 73 hours, counting the early access that would be less than 2 hours played every day averaged over the first free month.
    I played nowhere near 250 hours and I have a 50 and two 30s. I mean, for fuck's sake, I wasn't even home for the first 10 days the game was out. Went home for Christmas, and all that.

I'd log in and get screenshots to confirm, but my subscription already lapsed.
    Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Heltom92

I swear most people on this site only hate on this game cos Jeff doesn't like it.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Funkydupe

I started following this site because of Jeff, Ryan and Brad. They're entitled to their own opinion on TOR or any other game. I played TOR quite intensively and I know that, in part, is why I can't pick it up again now. I enjoyed it for this first month, but now I feel I'm over it. A new year, new games. It is a really well made game, and one of the more stable launches I've ever participated in.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#63  Edited By emergency

@Heltom92 said:

I swear most people on this site only hate on this game cos Jeff doesn't like it.

You sound a bit peeved that not everybody loves this game? I'm sure everybody has valid reasons personally as to why they don't like this game.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#64  Edited By MrMazz

Nope im down for the next 6 months. Can't make snap judgements on MMOs and I have nothing better to do (thank you ACL surgery). I'm digging it finishing up my Sith Jugg and working on a Merc alt. Hooked up with a nice guild runnign flashpoints and stuff fun stuff.

The_Drizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By The_Drizzle

I'm still on the fence, i played WoW to 40 and had a blast but that was during the summer. I played a hour or so every morning before work and thoroughly enjoyed what i experienced. That was my first MMO. The semester is back in full swing, so being a full time student and having a part-time job i would in no way be able to rush it. The majority of negativity has been keeping me on the fence. What selling points would you duders say are what make the game worth it? I don't need validation , i just like hearing about what fun people are having then decide on WHEN i will pick it up, not IF.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#66  Edited By StarvingGamer

I'll stick with it until my guild drastically outpaces me since I'm rarely on during HM/Op time. Had a blast getting to 50 with my SW and am loving the hell out of my 24 BH.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By CaptainCody

@EmuLeader said:

@CaptainCody said:

@ajamafalous said:

@g00ber said:

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

Clearly the people who sink that much time into the game were enjoying it at some point enough to play for an excess amount of time. You contributed nothing in your comment beyond making it an excuse to bash the game. The whole point of the argument is not centered around free time. Its based on people playing alot of the game in a short amount of time and complaining there isn't more. Most people who have normal schedules do will play at a much slower pace, and so all the content will last them a much longer (real time not game time) experience. The game must be "good" to them if they are willing to play over a hundred hours of it, so please refrain making a useless comment bashing people's opinion of a game, when they could really care less about yours.

You clearly are going for a one-sided point, and it sounds like you have practically no MMO experience. They're called time sinks for a reason, most of the game is structured to make you waste more of your day. I imagine anything actually relevant or exciting in SW:TOR can be summarized to a few hours of content. Also, spending 15$ a month to play a game on occasion? How about buying a game that actually has some meaning in it when the goal for this game is to make money, and doesn't try to be anything interesting beyond WoW in space.

@The_Drizzle said:

I'm still on the fence, i played WoW to 40 and had a blast but that was during the summer. I played a hour or so every morning before work and thoroughly enjoyed what i experienced. That was my first MMO. The semester is back in full swing, so being a full time student and having a part-time job i would in no way be able to rush it. The majority of negativity has been keeping me on the fence. What selling points would you duders say are what make the game worth it? I don't need validation , i just like hearing about what fun people are having then decide on WHEN i will pick it up, not IF.

If you're looking to just burn spare time you may be better off with TOR, if you have the intention to raid or do something serious then WoW would probably be for the best.

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By blueduck

@CaptainCody said:

If you're looking to just burn spare time you may be better off with TOR, if you have the intention to raid or do something serious then WoW would probably be for the best.

Raiding in wow became a joke in the tail end of BC and never recovered. No one knows how SWTOR's end game will turn out but if they stay away from the crap wow did it could be better.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Sooty

@blueduck said:

@CaptainCody said:

Raiding in wow became a joke in the tail end of BC and never recovered. No one knows how SWTOR's end game will turn out but if they stay away from the crap wow did it could be better.

Raiding in WoW was great in BC, Black Temple and Sunwell were excellent. Ulduar 25 hard modes was probably the best they've done since then, the bringing back old raids all the time is just boring.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By CaptainCody

@blueduck said:

@CaptainCody said:

I disagree, I admit to the decline in the raid's quality in Cataclysm but, even still, TOR still doesn't come close to having anything remotely similar.

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By blueduck

@CaptainCody said:

@blueduck said:

@CaptainCody said:

I disagree, I admit to the decline in the raid's quality in Cataclysm but, even still, TOR still doesn't come close to having anything remotely similar.

The only people who thought WOTLK had great raids were people who didn't raid before that. I don't play SWTOR but it did just come out so you can't really say what it's raids will be like just yet. However I can say without a doubt that wows raiding glory days are long gone.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By CaptainCody

@blueduck said:

@CaptainCody said:

@blueduck said:

@CaptainCody said:

The only people who thought WOTLK had great raids were people who didn't raid before that. I don't play SWTOR but it did just come out so you can't really say what it's raids will be like just yet. However I can say without a doubt that wows raiding glory days are long gone.

Ulduar and ICC had their charm, but yes, them days be over.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#73  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@CaptainCody said:

Also, spending 15$ a month to play a game on occasion? How about buying a game that actually has some meaning in it when the goal for this game is to make money, and doesn't try to be anything interesting beyond WoW in space.

$15 has a different value for different people. For me, I really don't give a shit. That's a couple coffees. If I play it twice a month that's enough to justify the cost. For other people, that might be their gaming budget for the month.

SWTOR is not even in the top 5 MMOs I have played (neither is WoW, by a long shot), but it's fun enough (for me) to justify not cancelling it yet.

EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By EmuLeader

@blueduck said:

@CaptainCody said:

@blueduck said:

@CaptainCody said:

Exactly. It's not fair to try to compare the end content of a game that is a month old with end content of a game that has been around for 8 (?) years with a fourth expansions coming. GB and many other people have said to wait until the game is about 6 months old before passing judgement. At that point the player base will be more solidified and more of the content will be released/unlocked for end game. I cannot say it will be that way for certain, but that is the clear pattern for MMO's at this point.

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By blueduck

@EmuLeader said:

@blueduck said:

@CaptainCody said:

@blueduck said:

@CaptainCody said:

Exactly. It's not fair to try to compare the end content of a game that is a month old with end content of a game that has been around for 8 (?) years with a fourth expansions coming. GB and many other people have said to wait until the game is about 6 months old before passing judgement. At that point the player base will be more solidified and more of the content will be released/unlocked for end game. I cannot say it will be that way for certain, but that is the clear pattern for MMO's at this point.

I don't agree with 6 months. You'll be able to tell in the first 1-2 raids. If they copy wow now which is mostly what they've been doing it will be awful.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#76  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

A few months from now bioware will realize they made a terrible mistake. 200million on this game, what a shame it will just be another warhammer/ageofconan/aion/rift.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By CaptainCody

@blueduck said:

@EmuLeader said:

@blueduck said:

@CaptainCody said:

@blueduck said:

@CaptainCody said:

I don't agree with 6 months. You'll be able to tell in the first 1-2 raids. If they copy wow now which is mostly what they've been doing it will be awful.

The, "it hasn't been out long!" argument is the same one people used when the game was in beta. "It's just a beta!" every time someone had a gripe about the game. If endgame isn't good now chances are it wont be for a while. EA needs to make their money back so they're going to try and convince people to stay subscribed while in the mean time they flush out middling content till the game is ready for another expansion. Sure, you can probably expect a raid or two in the near future, just don't expect much.

Kiri90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#78  Edited By Kiri90

I probably don't belong in this conversation, but I was actually thinking of getting the game. I just built my gaming PC a week ago, and have friends who are playing this (even though they are really high levels). I've never played a game with a subscription fee, so that'd be a change, but I also don't know how much time I'd have to play it with my college coursework.

Decisions, decisions...

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Ares42
    @blueduck said:

@CaptainCody said:

Hmm, think I can pretty much tell you right now how SWTOR end-game raiding will be. They have some original ideas here and there, but they are strictly following the same scheme of WoW where normal is faceroll for any raid with some coordination, while harder modes are the same fights with just higher numbers. While this sometimes forces you to deal with mechanics that you didn't have to bother with at easier levels, it's still in my opinion extremely boring. They are pandering to the crowd that just wants to see the content and the crowd that would play a game a second time on a harder difficulty, but the crowd that actually wants new challenges (like me) are completely left out. One of the things that really killed WoW for me was when the raids went into "1 new mechanic per raid" mode. Sure it was fun that Yogg'Saron had a new mechanic, but having to kill 7 bosses to get to an original fight just wasn't fun.
    blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By blueduck

@Ares42: The main problem was when they decided to make raid groups smaller and smaller. While I understood that it let more people raid it also has the effect of limiting the mechanics they could use while at the same time forcing them to use more mechanics per fight to make it harder. With 40 people in a raid even the smallest mechanic is a task to get the group to do right.

Not to turn this into a wow rant, but I'm going to. WOTLK was the point where I realized Blizzard was just harvesting their customers for money. The first raids they released were a carbon copy and two one boss raids. Most guilds cleared the carbon copy of naxx the first 2-3 weeks and then had to sit around and wait for like 5 months for anything new. Uldar was good but again waiting so long for something just wasn't worth it, were we supposed to be doing naxx for that long? Then after Uldar they launch Trail which was total trash lore wise and game wise. Then again we wait for months. ICC was not worth the wait. You really have to ask yourself with all the money blizzard pulls in why it takes them so long to make new content which more times than not turns out to be short and shitty.

EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By EmuLeader

@blueduck said:

@EmuLeader said:

@blueduck said:

@CaptainCody said:

@blueduck said:

@CaptainCody said:

You're right. It was actually 90 days. I guess I wasn't thinking when I said 6 months. Half a year is a little long.

BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#82  Edited By BiG_Weasel

I played the beta, and was very underwhelmed by what I saw (this was just before launch). Quest hubs, repetitive quests (go here, kill X of these, bring X of these back to me, talk to this guy) were exactly the same as I experienced in any other MMO out there. That, in and of itself, wasn't so bad. What did it for me is that it didn't "feel" like Star Wars. I forced myself to play until the beta weekend was up, but what I saw then (and am hearing now) makes me relieved that I cancelled my pre-order. I'm hoping Guild Wars 2 redeems MMOs for me. Otherwise, I'll consider it a lost genre.

Hiraga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#83  Edited By Hiraga

I cancelled. The game itself seems okay, although the only stories that really drew me in were the trooper and imperial agent classes. This is probably due to Bioware having a little more leeway in how they frame those classes due to them being somewhat new to the universe. My biggest problem with the game is the setting; which obviously isn't going to change (it being a Star Wars game). This is no fault of the game, just my own personal taste. I'm more of a Star Trek guy. I think the game has some solid mechanics to build on but needs to differentiate itself from WoW a little more.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.