Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Let's Talk: Star Wars The Old Republic Weekend Beta

• 60 results
    pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pw2566ch

For the first time since World of Warcraft back in 2004, I'm actually excited about an MMO. In all aspects of MMOs, The Old Republic doesn't feel like one. It feels more like a Bioware game... with multiplayer. It literally feels like you're making the decisions in the game. It literally feels like you're a Jedi and not just another character class. It's been a long time since I pre-ordered a game, let alone pay full price. Ladies and gentlemen, I think we found our World of Warcraft killer. And if not that, a game that will actually compete with WoW.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I'm going to have to disagree on a few points. Obviously this is just my personal opinion, but sure it feels like I'm making decisions, but it doesn't feel like those decisions really matter. I can't quite put my finger on it, but when I play something like KOTOR, Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, etc, it feels like it's my world. It's my story and I hold all the power in my hands. When I play SWTOR, it feels like I'm a a miniscule part of a grandiose picture. It feels like I ultimately don't matter at the end of the day. This feeling is even worse when you think about how the storyline is trying to make you the center of the story. Something somewhere in the narrative and in the world just doesn't work the way it should for what they're trying to do.

Also, it doesn't feel like I'm playing a Jedi. I point to this article from Massively to explain why:

In Star Wars films, novels, comics, and other video games, Jedi are demi-gods who strike fear in the hearts of their opponents and win a lot more battles than they lose. You know what Jedi do in SWTOR? They whack on mobs with their lightsabers 20,000 times in order to deplete health bars. Sure they've got some nice-looking combat animations, but they're ultimately no more powerful than your average Joe who picks up a blaster.

I don't agree with everything in that article and I'm not going to dissect it bit by bit as the overall point of it isn't relevant here, but I agree with the statement above as it describes why I don't feel like a Jedi.

And I know I'm being tough on the game, but I did enjoy what I played. It is definitely fun, however for me, the things that are being hyped up about this game aren't as special as Bioware would make it seem.

It's a good MMO and I'll just leave it at that.

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle

Yeah, no. This seems like a decent MMO, but nothing to topple WoW. The voice acting was the only true differentiation from other MMOs, other than the brand, and even that's not consistent enough to be a strong selling point.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By coakroach

After seeing some of the beta leaks for the trooper class featuring a god awful attempt at romance and a weightless final story decision i'm more cynical about this game than ever before.

Some people really seem to dig it including a lot of the beta testers, but the footage i've seen just looks lame.

Avatar image for lady_of_the_patriots
    Lady_of_the_patriots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it could kill WoW. But at the same time I think theres to many fanboys of WoW.

Does anyone know when the beta actually starts? I got an invitation but I dont kno if it was this weekend or next or what.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By emergency

@Lady_of_the_patriots said:

I think it could kill WoW. But at the same time I think theres to many fanboys of WoW.

Does anyone know when the beta actually starts? I got an invitation but I dont kno if it was this weekend or next or what.

Yawn. The word "fanboy" makes me think you are just a moron. I think you mean 'fans'.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hunkulese

@Lady_of_the_patriots: What exactly is a fanboy? People always seem to use it in the context that if somebody likes a game they don't then they're a fanboy.

Wow can't be killed. As long as they keep putting out content the game will do well. A lot of people feel invested in WoW and don't really want to start over from scratch. WoW has over 10 million active subscribers and shows no signs of slowing down. The next biggest MMO has 1 million subscribers. I think TOR will start out with a maximum of 2 million subscribers. Even if every one of those subscribers came from WoW they would still be left with 8 million subscriptions. People like WoW, people are comfortable with WoW and there is no way it's going to die unless Blizzard pulls the plug on the servers.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By ZenaxPure

It blows my mind that people still think that WoW can be crushed by a different MMO, I mean really. As someone who still actively plays WoW most of the playerbase (who you know aren't actually gamers but WoW has transcended that) doesn't even know what the hell this game is.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @BabyChooChoo: I couldn't agree more, Force Unleashed had similar problems with their depiction of the lightsaber..  In this, it's a bit more understandable, but it still makes the Jedi seem really weak.  My biggest problem though is the restriction on the classes, which is pretty typical in most MMO's, but it still just feels very old fashioned.  If you want to be a healer, you HAVE to be a specific class, if you want to use duel lightsabers, you HAVE to be a specific class, etc.  I thought we were past this sort of thing in games, and it makes your character feel very plain.  You're not special at all, you're exactly the same as the thousands of others playing the same class. 

I do think the story stuff is quite good, but unlike the OP, I think that's a negative factor.  Rather than feeling like an MMO with a deep single player experience, it feels like a single player MMO with multiplayer tacked on.. I'd much rather be playing KotOR 3 and have a more indepth single player, rather than two half-assed modes.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

NDA breaking stuff:
    I really enjoyed it.

Non-NDA breaking stuff:   As said elsewhere, the basic combat manages to become more interesting merely by increasing the average number of mobs you fight.  MMOs have traditionally been a series of one-on-one grinds against enemies, while modern action/rpgs send one or a few guys against whole waves of enemies.  By making you deal with four guys at once, you begin to actually think spatially like you would in a Dragon Age.

As for the story stuff, MMOs traditionally have an incredibly deep well of fiction, but can never get it across that you are living in it.  At most it seems like it happens around your character.  By giving your character a voice when you interact with faction heores, dungeon bosses, you get the sense of being there and actively taking part.  It's not vanilla WoW where the dungeon boss spouts a bunch of storyline stuff while you wait for his second phase to start.

I'm not sure I'll ever understand the petulance some gamers have towards Old Republic.  I'm trying to figure out if it's that BioWare DARES to try making an MMO rather than remake Baldur's Gate 2, or that WoW has been the definition for so long that they actively want everything else to fail.  Maybe they just see the amount of money and time BioWare has invested and want to see it fail because the misery of others is the only way they can feel happiness.  Who knows.

G0rd0nFr33m4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By G0rd0nFr33m4n

@A_Cute_Squirtle said:

Yeah, no. This seems like a decent MMO, but nothing to topple WoW. The voice acting was the only true differentiation from other MMOs, other than the brand, and even that's not consistent enough to be a strong selling point.

This. As a person who got into the beta a while ago, this game is good but not great, enjoyable, but not worth $60 up front and $15 per month. I shall be waiting for it to be Free to Play.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I'll be happy if its fun when you level a second character, or if there's actually anything to do besides pvp or raid at level cap.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TaliciaDragonsong said:
    I'll be happy if its fun when you level a second character, or if there's actually anything to do besides pvp or raid at level cap.
    I played a couple different classes, saw their opening stories and quests... they feel different enough on a surface level that you could easily spend your time just going through the eight class stories.  At very least you can get two unique playthroughs by switching sides.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Brodehouse said:
    I'm trying to figure out if it's that BioWare DARES to try making an MMO rather than remake Baldur's Gate 2, or that WoW has been the definition for so long that they actively want everything else to fail.  Maybe they just see the amount of money and time BioWare has invested and want to see it fail because the misery of others is the only way they can feel happiness.  Who knows.
    Sorry to bring it up in yet another TOR thread..  But look at the amount of hype and praise Guild Wars 2 is getting, which in my opinion, is doing a hell of a lot more (including deep single player/story elements) to move the MMO genre into modern times.  TOR isn't being bashed so heavily because people want to see it or Bioware fail..  but simply because people think it's a bad game.  After being able to participate in the beta, I wouldn't say it's bad, just not particularly exciting.  I'm certainly not going to be paying a subscription for it.
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Brodehouse: Oh sure, but the real killer here is only having a set of planets to walk through.
    Far as I know there's kind of a set path for both sides and doing that once, perhaps twice, will be enough.
    In WoW or Lotro you'd almost always have 2 zones available to level in, making follow up play throughs a lot more doable instead of only for the mindless ones so to speak.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WinterSnowblind said:
    @Brodehouse said:
    I'm trying to figure out if it's that BioWare DARES to try making an MMO rather than remake Baldur's Gate 2, or that WoW has been the definition for so long that they actively want everything else to fail.  Maybe they just see the amount of money and time BioWare has invested and want to see it fail because the misery of others is the only way they can feel happiness.  Who knows.
    Sorry to bring it up in yet another TOR thread..  But look at the amount of hype and praise Guild Wars 2 is getting, which in my opinion, is doing a hell of a lot more (including deep single player/story elements) to move the MMO genre into modern times.  TOR isn't being bashed so heavily because people want to see it or Bioware fail..  but simply because people think it's a bad game.  After being able to participate in the beta, I wouldn't say it's bad, just not particularly exciting.  I'm certainly not going to be paying a subscription for it.
    No.  When games are 'bad' and people aren't interested in them, they don't bother talking about them.  I had a real bad experience with Rage, but I have 0 posts on the Rage board, because I'm not interested in thinking about Rage.  The amount of vitriol Old Republic has received defies reason.  People don't bother to follow games they don't like if they don't have some emotional component attached.  And I'll go ahead and assume it's because they want it to fail so their interest in their MMO of choice is vindicated.
    solidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By solidlife

If its got good PVP i will switch.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hunkulese

@G0rd0nFr33m4n: You're going to be waiting a long time

@WinterSnowblind said:

@Brodehouse said:
    I'm trying to figure out if it's that BioWare DARES to try making an MMO rather than remake Baldur's Gate 2, or that WoW has been the definition for so long that they actively want everything else to fail. Maybe they just see the amount of money and time BioWare has invested and want to see it fail because the misery of others is the only way they can feel happiness. Who knows.
    Sorry to bring it up in yet another TOR thread.. But look at the amount of hype and praise Guild Wars 2 is getting, which in my opinion, is doing a hell of a lot more (including deep single player/story elements) to move the MMO genre into modern times. TOR isn't being bashed so heavily because people want to see it or Bioware fail.. but simply because people think it's a bad game. After being able to participate in the beta, I wouldn't say it's bad, just not particularly exciting. I'm certainly not going to be paying a subscription for it.

What exactly is Guild Wars 2 doing that is so revolutionary. I gave the first one a fair shot but it was an MMO in name only.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TaliciaDragonsong said:
    @Brodehouse: Oh sure, but the real killer here is only having a set of planets to walk through. Far as I know there's kind of a set path for both sides and doing that once, perhaps twice, will be enough. In WoW or Lotro you'd almost always have 2 zones available to level in, making follow up play throughs a lot more doable instead of only for the mindless ones so to speak.
    Just taking from news sources, after the first two planets you get some options of where you want to head next (hypothetical: Tatooine is level 20-30 or Hoth is 20-30).  You're as capable of seeing all the content as you are in WoW if you choose to go back to a lower-leveled zone just to see all the quests (and considering the quest quality in WoW, no one does that).  There are class-specific storyline stuff, and then there's (I'll assume a wide variety) faction-specific stuff.  There's also the flashpoints (dungeons) and operations (raids).  As far as I know, nothing other than the class-specific storyline is mandatory.
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Brodehouse: We can only hope, as much as I love Bio's style, dragging through an mmo a couple times again is not on my to do list, not even because of them.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Brodehouse: I assume you haven't played WoW in a long time? Quest quality in WoW is amazing since Cataclysm (other than Outland and Northrend to a degree). It feels like a proper game now with zones having 1 major storyline to play through and interesting characters/quest variety along the way. Heck, a lot of the quests even have proper cutscenes now, though a lot of them still lack voice acting. It's something I can't stress enough really.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Zenaxzd: I stopped playing about a month after Lich King.  Went up there and it was still plain ole WoW.  Part of it was probably my fault for putting about 2800 hours into that game, so all the seams were obvious.  You get to the point where you're not trying to cleanse the corruption that threatens to overtake all of Feralas, you're just looking at 1s and 0s like Neo in the Matrix.  That kind of robs it of any immersion.
    welshguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By welshguy

@WinterSnowblind: You pretty much sum up everything that put me off this game.

My dislike of the game is not the vitrolic hatred of "i hope it fails" but rather the jaded attitude of someone who has followed it a long time and seen a lot things turn out not as I hoped. In my eyes (and by my standard of what I look for) Bioware have made some bad choices regarding game mechanics, classes and several other aspectt to the extent that a game i was so looking forward to I no longer desire. I don't want this game to fail because a shit load of people are employed as a result of it, the money invested in it and the amount of work that's gone into it. Honestly, I hope its a success even though I won't be a part of it. It is not the star wars I love and I accept that.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Brodehouse: I see, well questing in cataclysm is completely different. Very refreshing actually coming from someone who has been playing since almost launch. There is a lack of freedom which has been one of the biggest gripes from the playerbase because now you get funneled through a zone usually only doing 1 or 2 quests at a time and while they still have the generic kill x dudes they have stepped it up a lot and have some really fun quests and then completely bat-shit insane quests. That aside, like I said it's cool to see an actual narrative and character development in zones now, and they even went out of their way to make legendary item quest chains something special, the upcoming rogue legendary items even have some crazy Assassin's Creed/MGS stuff going on.  

It makes me laugh how much people knock WoW for being outdated and stuff even they completely redefine things every expansion and move MMOs forward instead of sticking in the past, but people love to ignore all the amazing stuff they do.
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@WinterSnowblind said:

I do think the story stuff is quite good, but unlike the OP, I think that's a negative factor. Rather than feeling like an MMO with a deep single player experience, it feels like a single player MMO with multiplayer tacked on.. I'd much rather be playing KotOR 3 and have a more indepth single player, rather than two half-assed modes.

You know what, scratch what I said about the story. I think this is really my issue. Like it just feels weird. I can't think of any other way to describe it. I think half-assed is the perfect way to put it too because it doesn't feel like it goes far enough in either direction. It's very clear they want to appeal to Bioware fans and MMO fans, but it's just the odd mix of "well, yeah, you're the center of the story, but so are the other half a million people you see running around."

It's like your significant other telling you that you're their one and only, but then fucking someone else after you leave the house. Then you try and bring it up and they're just like, "you are my one and only, but only when you're around. When X comes around then they're my one and only." Ok ok, that was a shitty example lol, but still, I just can't think of another way to put it.

It's as if they're serving two masters without being fully committed to either. I know this entire post sounds like one big broken record, but it just. feels. frakking. weird.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Patman99

Personally, I am looking forward to TOR. I've played a lot of MMOs in the past and have always quit them in 3 months because I lost the driving force to continue playing. What I am hoping is that TOR's story will continue to drive me to play the game. I like the standard MMO mechanics and I love the Star Wars universe so TOR seems like a good choice. On top of all that, lots of my friends and lots of my friend's friends want to get this game so I will have a possy of 10-15 people who I personally know that I can jump on and play with.

I think the main audience TOR will attract are the hardcore Star Wars fans who dont mind MMO mechanics and the old WoW players who want a slightly different taste. I dont think that TOR will bring in people who do not like MMOs and people should not look for this. It's like looking at MW3 and saying that you dont like it because it is an FPS that has first person shooting in a modern combat setting. That is what the game is so if you do not like that part of the game, then it is not for you. No sense in bitching what it isnt.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BabyChooChoo said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

I do think the story stuff is quite good, but unlike the OP, I think that's a negative factor. Rather than feeling like an MMO with a deep single player experience, it feels like a single player MMO with multiplayer tacked on.. I'd much rather be playing KotOR 3 and have a more indepth single player, rather than two half-assed modes.

You know what, scratch what I said about the story. I think this is really my issue. Like it just feels weird. I can't think of any other way to describe it. I think half-assed is the perfect way to put it too because it doesn't feel like it goes far enough in either direction. It's very clear they want to appeal to Bioware fans and MMO fans, but it's just the odd mix of "well, yeah, you're the center of the story, but so are the other half a million people you see running around."

It's like your significant other telling you that you're their one and only, but then fucking someone else after you leave the house. Then you try and bring it up and they're just like, "you are my one and only, but only when you're around. When X comes around then they're my one and only." Ok ok, that was a shitty example lol, but still, I just can't think of another way to put it.

It's as if they're serving two masters without being fully committed to either. I know this entire post sounds like one big broken record, but it just. feels. frakking. weird.

I felt like I was the center of my story, not necessarily that I was the center of the galaxy.  I'm sure a lot of spoiled brats expect the story to fellate them and call them awesome like Mass Effect, but all I got was that my character is an important piece of a much greater puzzle.  That might change based on the class (and I'm sure near the end it'll get to my character being treated like an elite despite having 23 other dudes in my raid).  I do think it might have immersed a bit better with some more phasing and instancing, but that's something that can be worked on.

If you're talking about like, a guy standing there with a problem, and then I talk to him and solve it for him... I don't see him handing out quests to anyone else.  I see some people gathered around, but whatever.  I find it funny you use the 'serving two masters' because so far all I've heard are people complain it's too single-player, people complain it's not single-player enough, or people complain that it blends the two.
    tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By tunaburn

it was really fun. but i got bored pretty quick. but then i found a group of 4 people and it was really fun again. $15 a month every month seems dumb to me though. ive never paid for a game each month. WOW was never even a thought to me because of this. I really had fun but there are so many games to play that dont charge me every single month to play.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#29  Edited By Brackynews

What I've wanted and expected out of SWTOR is really KOTOR 3: Online. Not KOTOR 3: Single Player Epic Adventure. Sure that would be nice, but we already have 2 of those games. Like Wintersnowblind said, we are currently in an era of "two half-assed modes". Bioshock 2, Fable 3, (Mass Effect 3?), Brutal Legend... I don't dislike any of those games, but I see what they are. Developers are trying to strike a hybrid balance, and it's bloody hard to get it right.

After 20 hours and 3 characters I haven't been disappointed with the gameplay. It's rare that I read quest notes, but here the fully voiced cutscenes are selling me. I actually understand why it's useful for my character to go out and scan things for a questgiver. And why I'm likely to be attacked while doing it. I can suspend my disbelief for the 10 minutes that it takes to do a mob run. I think that is what it brings to the table, weaving a narrative. Just like you might expect from a BioWare game. Maybe the choices I make won't matter to the galaxy, but it's still a story I'm interested in hearing.

Also I desperately want to murder that Sith overseer, multiple times if possible. What a dick.... URRRG.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By tekmojo

I hope it's a legit bioware experience, but even still they need to out do themselves by 500%. MMOs have so many moving parts, I'm just worried they're forgetting to polish certain areas. The launch content needs to be enormous and varied, can't wait to play it.

Maurdakar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By Maurdakar

If this weekend beta taught me anything its that all the whining in the beta forums is just nonsense.

The game isn't some genre changing demi-god, at least not at launch. It can compete easily in the MMO scene but probably not kill WoW.

This game won't change your opinions of an MMO. But it is a very good MMO that will have an impact on the MMO environment.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#32  Edited By Kidavenger

I'm about 5 hours in, level 6 and this game is in really rough shape for being just over a month away from release.

I'm not sure what can be said or not with the NDA so I won't say anything specific, but there are many minor to semi serious bugs in the very small amount of the game that I've seen so far.

This game really did try to copy WoW but they didn't capture any of the magic that made wow special, right from the first 30 minutes I just felt like I was in a boring leveling grind heading towards a boring end game grind which all of these games inevitably become.

I'm going to keep with it, but I can't see myself spending any money at all on this game when it comes out.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Funkydupe

So BioWare hyping their story doesn't make players think more about what they're experience at present instead of always looking towards the end-game?

Branwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#34  Edited By Branwulf

I think anyone getting grandiose ideas about it being vastly different from WoW are going to be dissapointed, however it looks to be a solid game with the kind of polish at launch that few MMOs get these days, i'm sure it will be far more successful than the likes of AoC and WAR purely off Bioware's prestige, the Star Wars name and it's obscene budget and marketing. Those CGI trailers probably cost more together than some entire MMO development costs.

I've played wow on and off, mostly on, since 2005 and have grown tired of it as many have, i'm not adverse to a similar styled game in a different universe however and am looking forward to SW:TOR despite not having a great interest in Star Wars outside of enjoying the films.

As everyone and their mother can get into the stress test i'm looking forward to getting a feel for the mechanics myself, inbetween server resets login queues.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Funkydupe said:

So BioWare hyping their story doesn't make players think more about what they're experience at present instead of always looking towards the end-game?

I'm not really sure what you're attempting to say here, but I can say without breaking the NDA that I was way more interested in what I was doing moment to moment rather than what I was going to do once I hit the next level.  I was doing a quest to see where it would lead and what would happen next rather than to get a new pair of boots.
    Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Funkydupe

Ah yes the question was terribly written, sorry about that. I just want the game to feel like a video game from the start with a sense of overall purpose in what you do throughout the game besides leveling up.

My worries at the moment: That the combat is too standard and that it might be tedious to find people that want to team up as 98% of the game is soloable supposedly.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Funkydupe I received one quest that suggested I party up, but I just decided not to do it, because I hate playing with strangers. I did not play extremely far, but it seems like a lot of the content is soloable, most people appeared to be teaming up to share objectives or boss kills.

And like I said, they give you good purpose for everything you do. My character was given a long-term reason for being on the planet, a short-term objective and then given freedom to explore. Progressing through the planet felt way more like progressing through a story than just a series of higher-level enemies to fight.
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#38  Edited By TheHT

I found myself hitting F5 to quicksave before going to talk to an NPC or into a big area only to remember that 'oh yeah, it's an MMO'.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Funkydupe

Beta weekend for the end of November.

So yes, let's just say I'm fairly excited to try TOR today. Of course keeping in mind that the servers will be raped and so forth, granted I get in and get to try a few quests I'll be happy. I'm sure a bunch of you guys will try it for the first time today also. I'm interested in finding how combat looks and feels, and maybe try some PvP if its available.

They will simulate the staggered release, simply by letting people test the game in waves, gradually letting people onto the servers.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By scarace360

i can't even get into the weekend beta that's a great start to this MMO.

FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By FilipHolm

Enjoying it so far.I'm still on the "Prologe" though... I hope the planets are bigger than this...

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Buscemi

@BabyChooChoo said:

I'm going to have to disagree on a few points. Obviously this is just my personal opinion, but sure it feels like I'm making decisions, but it doesn't feel like those decisions really matter. I can't quite put my finger on it, but when I play something like KOTOR, Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, etc, it feels like it's my world. It's my story and I hold all the power in my hands. When I play SWTOR, it feels like I'm a a miniscule part of a grandiose picture. It feels like I ultimately don't matter at the end of the day. This feeling is even worse when you think about how the storyline is trying to make you the center of the story. Something somewhere in the narrative and in the world just doesn't work the way it should for what they're trying to do.

This is my experience with every Bioware RPG out there. They promise a lot of choices that will have impact on the world, but hell no, shit didn't go down. YOU SAVE RACHNI? NOBODY CARED

Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By Nentisys

Not too deep in (and propably wont play that much more of the beta) and not really diggin' it. Some things I like but overall its not working for me.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#44  Edited By CL60
    @FilipHolm said:

Enjoying it so far.I'm still on the "Prologe" though... I hope the planets are bigger than this...

The game is tutorial until you get your space ship, then it opens up.
    FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By FilipHolm

@CL60 said:

@FilipHolm said:

The game is tutorial until you get your space ship, then it opens up.

That's what I was hoping for. Thanks bro

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Funkydupe

Didn't crash on me once for 6 hours straight.. A bit long loading times between planets though for me at least. Smuggler was fun. Haven't gotten a ship yet. Seems like a solid game so far in the prologue parts. I like that there's a story going throughout.

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
    Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

@Titus said:

@BabyChooChoo said:

This is my experience with every Bioware RPG out there. They promise a lot of choices that will have impact on the world, but hell no, shit didn't go down. YOU SAVE RACHNI? NOBODY CARED

It's pretty well known that the Rachni are a major part of Mass Effect 3

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Buscemi

@Extreme_Popcorn: Yeah, but that was kind of my point. If you've read that leaked information about the story, then some of the things you've done won't really make a difference. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Mass Effect, particularly the first one, and I'm going to buy ME3 on release, I'm just bummed that Bioware are turning their RPGs into action games with RPG elements.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Besides the game randomly shutting down my pc I am madly in love.
    The prologue is a little long but I just got my ship (did space missions, awesome!) and I thought but one thing.

Mass Effect Online.

I played Trooper and I'm hooked, the combat is really diverse with all the different skills and my moves feel real good to execute on enemies, healing is done very well too for as far as I could tell.
    Nice mix of doing damage and healing, not just running behind the group healing them while they do all the fun work.

Loomies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Loomies

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Besides the game randomly shutting down my pc I am madly in love. The prologue is a little long but I just got my ship (did space missions, awesome!) and I thought but one thing. Mass Effect Online. I played Trooper and I'm hooked, the combat is really diverse with all the different skills and my moves feel real good to execute on enemies, healing is done very well too for as far as I could tell. Nice mix of doing damage and healing, not just running behind the group healing them while they do all the fun work.

Yeah this game is very GPU/CPU intensive but it seems like your card is overheating. You should look into cleaning the dust out of your GPU...it's never a good thing when your PC gets shut down.

Also enjoying this game too. level 14 bounty hunter and really kept me intrigued in the storyline.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.