Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Why is this a MMO?

• 74 results
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By kingzetta

From what I see and hear this game would be an amazing offline singleplayer RPG.

You get a team of AI teammates, which you can bone apparently.

Each class has it's own main quest

It's super story heavy, an the combat is actiony

Why the hell is this even an MMO? They really should put it on consoles as a single player RPG. They'd sell a lot more copies if they did.

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Brians

@kingzetta: companies like recurring money

silentghost227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By silentghost227

World of Warcraft makes a lot of money....constantly

ick_bop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ick_bop

They'd rather make potential billions, instead of guaranteed hundreds of millions.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By xyzygy

Because EA decided to take advantage and assrape an awesome franchise and basically turn it into a way to steal WoW's market share. That doesn't meant there won't be a REAL Knights 3 though so don't think it's the end for the franchise.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Rhaknar

because WoW

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ryanwho

Because visiting the same cave 100 times for 100 different quests is par for the course in an MMO. Its the perfect fit for a developer that loves cutting corners.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@silentghost227 said:

World of Warcraft makes a lot of money....constantly

This is the only reason.

Really disappointing, as I'd really have been interested if it were another single player game. And now we're seeing even Dragon Quest make the same mistake :(

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FateOfNever

Because why not?

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jozzy

I don't see this game reaching WoW-like success. I bet it sells quite well but it wont be able to retain most players for longer than 3-6 months. The amount of money poured into this project is insane, such a waste.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By CheapPoison

Monthly subscriptions!

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@FateOfNever said:

Because why not?

Because it can't be enjoyed as a single player gam, put up with other players ruining your experience and pay monthly, even for the single player campaign elements?

Plus it's loaded down with grinding, poor combat and janky WoW-esque mechanics.

Fans wanted a KotOR 3, not this. It's an MMO solely so they can make money on a level similar to WoW.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@Rhaknar said:

because WoW

and because monies

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By CL60

@WinterSnowblind said:

@FateOfNever said:

Because why not?

Because it can't be enjoyed as a single player gam, put up with other players ruining your experience and pay monthly, even for the single player campaign elements?

Fans wanted a KotOR 3, not this. It's an MMO solely so they can make money on a level similar to WoW.

It's got like...no grinding at all., and a ton of group quests that can't be soloed. The general consensus actually seems to be a little TOO many group quests.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ryanwho

CL60 has played the game ask him anything.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FateOfNever

@WinterSnowblind said:

@FateOfNever said:

Because why not?

Here's the thing though - you clearly have some interest in the concept of the game, otherwise you wouldn't care at all that it's an MMO. That fact means that they've done something right with the design of the game. You also CAN enjoy the game as a single player game. You can assume the worst about MMO's and take it that everyone that plays an MMO is a jackass that's out to ruin everyone else's fun every single chance they get, but that's just not the way it is. And why is playing in a fake world with other people such an awful thing? Does the interaction with other people terrify you?

As for the monthly fee, that's a bonus for them. You may not jump for joy over it, but, they love it. It also isn't as awful as it sounds if you want the game JUST for the single player experience. Example, if you plan on only playing the single player experience and saying "fuck off" to anything that requires playing with other people, you probably wouldn't play the game for more than... what, a month? Maybe two or three? Look at it as you not needing to buy another game during those months and that 0-30$ beyond the initial purchase price really isn't that crazy. You may not be fond of it, but it's also not insane. It's like buying DLC for the game. It just so happens the DLC happens to be allowing you to play the game for another month.

I also am not sure how the game is loaded down with grinding - have you played it? Is the combat really that poor? It would be combat better than what you would see in the first two KotOR games. Did you want a FPS? A total 3rd Person Action game with no RPG elements? What exactly would you prefer the combat in the game be if not what it is? Did you want ME2 gameplay? Did you want Dragon Age 2 gameplay?

Fans want something in the KotOR universe. I'd say the buzz this game has around it says that fans DO want this. Not ALL fans, but fans. Don't claim to speak for all fans of the KotOR franchise just because you and some percentage of the players out there don't like it, because even those people, all combined, do not equal ALL fans.

People had a somewhat similar reaction when WoW was announced. Warcraft went from a successful RTS to an MMORPG format. And you know what? It worked. People got over it and realized what they had done was something enjoyable, even if it hadn't been what they had expected or wanted.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CL60

@ryanwho said:

CL60 has played the game ask him anything.

Is that sarcasm? Because I've been in the beta for like a month + now.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Bocam

@CL60: No it's fact.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kingzetta

I'm just saying it sounds like a nornal bioware game but it's online.

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Nephrahim

@kingzetta said:

The only DIFFERENCE between MMOs and traditionally RPGs are that you're playing with a bunch of other players. It's no diffrence here.

The companions are interesting,but they don't replace groups with actual players. I'm looking forward to that aspect of it.

That said, I WOULD have enjoyed a Kotor 3 too.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By triple07

@kingzetta said:

Yep it does which is what I like about it since I loved the old KOTOR games and pretty much all of Bioware's stuff. However I don't really like paying a monthly fee for a game so I'm gonna have to pass on this game which is a shame since it seems like a game I'd like if you took out the MMO.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kingzetta

@triple07 said:

@kingzetta said:

Yep it does which is what I like about it since I loved the old KOTOR games and pretty much all of Bioware's stuff. However I don't really like paying a monthly fee for a game so I'm gonna have to pass on this game which is a shame since it seems like a game I'd like if you took out the MMO.

Yeah I feel same exact way.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

money

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By metalmoog

@kingzetta said:

@triple07 said:

@kingzetta said:

Yeah I feel same exact way.

Me too. Oh and the fact that it's only coming out on Windows.

Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Zithe

@kingzetta: If you really want to know, it's because they set out to make it an MMO from the start and now there's no turning back. They gave the game a huge budget and built a massive game. You can't build a game of that size and release it as a 60 dollar game alongside the shooters with their 6 hour campaigns. Now that the money is spent, they are locked in to try and make as much of it back as they can with monthly subscription fees.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By kingzetta

@Zithe said:

@kingzetta: If you really want to know, it's because they set out to make it an MMO from the start and now there's no turning back. They gave the game a huge budget and built a massive game. You can't build a game of that size and release it as a 60 dollar game alongside the shooters with their 6 hour campaigns. Now that the money is spent, they are locked in to try and make as much of it back as they can with monthly subscription fees.

they could do both. PC players are paying for online. console players don't pay monthly but don't get any online

Lotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Lotus

Guys, i'm not gonna convince you, just buy it, play it, and get lost in it.

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Nephrahim

15 dollars a month isin't that much. Most people will spend much more money on video games then then that.

If you want to play it on a console, well... it was designed from the start to be a PC game. Just because anything can be ported to the PC, it doesn't work the other way. There's a reason WoW never made it, even though it makes more money then god.

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By amomjc

Another one of these bitching threads? Really? Why is it that every time an Non-MMO franchise gets the MMO shine, people go fucking hay-wire? This happened with WC3 to WoW, and look how that turned out. Against all the haters, WoW is a successful MMO bar none, and I think Kotor can do the same.

People need to stop bitching and if they don't want to play the game just don't, your non-nonsensical bitching isn't going to turn a multi-million dollar project around, it just makes a community of people hate you for no reason what-so-ever.

If I could post it I would, but i'll say it.

You're going to buy it.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CL60

@kingzetta said:

@Zithe said:

they could do both. PC players are paying for online. console players don't pay monthly but don't get any online

You are severely underestimating the MMO/multiplayer aspect of the game.. >.> It's not nearly as much singleplayer RPG as you are making it out to be.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mikey87144

I wish this game wasn't a MMO. Really wanted to play this when I first heard of it. After they announced it is an MMO my interest dropped to zero.

CornishRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#32  Edited By CornishRocker

Because monies, and George Lucas.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33  Edited By Deranged

@kingzetta: I agree, I would to see this on the 360 and PS3. Just like KOTR 2 was on the Xbox and PS2, but they're all money grabbers now...

SpartanAmbrose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SpartanAmbrose

@Rhaknar said:

because WoW

Pretty much this.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By FateOfNever

@kingzetta said:

@Zithe said:

You do realize that that wouldn't be a simple port over to the console, right? Beyond reworking all of the controls, and probably overhauling some systems, just to get it to work on a console, making it a single player experience would mean having to go back through and rebalance everything in the game, remove content, possibly add new content to make up for the removed content, and it wouldn't even be the same game and then they'd come off looking kind of weird and shady for having a single player and mmo version of the game. And then they'd have to suffer through being forced to maintain both the single player and multiplayer versions of the game and it seriously wouldn't be worth it for them.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Doctorchimp

@xyzygy said:

Because EA decided to take advantage and assrape an awesome franchise and basically turn it into a way to steal WoW's market share. That doesn't meant there won't be a REAL Knights 3 though so don't think it's the end for the franchise.

Well seeing as how troubled Knights 2 went and Bioware is going MMO for The Old Republic. Then you add in how Bioware made their own awesome sci-fi universe with tons of back-story and history with Mass Effect. I'm fairly certain it does mean Knights 3 is out of the question...

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By kingzetta

@FateOfNever said:

@kingzetta said:

@Zithe said:

You do realize that that wouldn't be a simple port over to the console, right? Beyond reworking all of the controls, and probably overhauling some systems, just to get it to work on a console, making it a single player experience would mean having to go back through and rebalance everything in the game, remove content, possibly add new content to make up for the removed content, and it wouldn't even be the same game and then they'd come off looking kind of weird and shady for having a single player and mmo version of the game. And then they'd have to suffer through being forced to maintain both the single player and multiplayer versions of the game and it seriously wouldn't be worth it for them.

Bah! Bah I say

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Doctorchimp

@kingzetta said:

@Zithe said:

They would much rather you buy an average PC that can run it for cheap and pay them the monthly subscription...weird I know. But they sort of built this fucking game with the sort of budget that would require millions of players to funnel them 15 dollars a month constantly.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By beforet

So can I, like, turn the online off? It sounds like it could be cool, but going through a single player experience with multiple people is almost always terrible.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By xyzygy

@Doctorchimp said:

@xyzygy said:

Well seeing as how troubled Knights 2 went and Bioware is going MMO for The Old Republic. Then you add in how Bioware made their own awesome sci-fi universe with tons of back-story and history with Mass Effect. I'm fairly certain it does mean Knights 3 is out of the question...

Why should Bioware's making of Mass Effect affect the Star Wars franchise in any way? The SW backstory is so open and expansive and there is still tons of time in between the Old Republic era and the era we see in the films, and the eras before and beyond them. Just because they make Mass Effect doesn't mean they can't make another Star Wars. I would even go so far as to say that a Knights 3 (developed by Bioware, not Obsidian like Knights 2 which was why it had it's share of problems) would sell better than a ME game because it is proven to be a lasting and important franchise, and come on, it's another KOTOR on next gen consoles.

cbk486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By cbk486

It looks like online KOTOR for me, and I have no issue with that. Just keep adding content with the same level of quality that bioware is known for and I'll happily pay for it.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@Lotus said:

You've convinced me.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By benpicko

I honestly don't know.

Also, can someone tell me how this looks good?

NakAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By NakAttack

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@Lotus said:

You've convinced me.

me too

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#45  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

The Old Republic is BioWare's first entry into the MMORPG market, and it will be the second Star Wars MMORPG after Star Wars Galaxies. BioWare had long been interested in working on a MMORPG, but waited until they had "the right partners, the right team, and the right I.P." A major focus in the game is on developing characters' individual stories and, in October 2008, BioWare considered this game to have more story content than all of their other games combined. The writing team has been working on the project longer than any of the game's other development teams. An October 2008 preview noted some of the 12 full-time writers had been working on The Old Republic for more than two years at that point.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Hunkulese

@WinterSnowblind said:

@FateOfNever said:

Because why not?

Please don't say fans when you're referring to yourself. There are a lot of people that have friends that would prefer an MMO to KOTOR 3. If you're only interested in single player aspects buy the game and don't pay for the subscription. I'm sure you can see the majority of the game in the first month and I'd be shocked if a free month wasn't included.

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Hunkulese: There are plenty of people who feel the same, a quick look through even the official forums will show you this. And no thanks, I'm not paying £40 to rent a game.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Dany

This is KOTOR 3,4,5,6...and more all wrapped in one!

:)

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Dany said:

This is KOTOR 3,4,5,6...and more all wrapped in one!

:)

No it's not. It's another mediocre MMO masquerading as a continuation (thousands of years, after the events we wanted to see continued).

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#50  Edited By Slaker117
    @Rhaknar said:

because WoW

Yep. Every business man in the industry looks to WoW as a continual free money machine and asks, drooling, "How do I get that?". As discussed in the latest Bombcast, it's an extremely attractive proposition, so it's easy to understand why everyone wants a piece of it, but to actually make it happen and get WoW-like numbers is nigh impossible at this point.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.