EA Will Make All Your Star Wars Games Now

Posted by Alex (2168 posts) -
Something tells me that, for a lot of you, EA was not the publisher you were looking for.

Ever since Disney shuttered former all-things-Star Wars publisher LucasArts in the wake of its purchase of Lucasfilm, we have been left wondering who would be tasked with resuming production on the world's supply of Star Wars video games. Now we know the answer.

EA has stepped up and Jedi mind-tricked Disney (or, more likely, paid handsomely) for the exclusive license for all Star Wars games in the "core games" category. This means Disney will still have the license to produce its own games in the mobile, tablet, and online gaming categories. However, if you want to make a major console, handheld, or PC game with the words "Star" and "Wars" in the title, you'd best be working for an EA studio.

It would extra help if you worked for DICE, Visceral Games, or BioWare, as EA's announcement of the deal specifically cites these studios as the ones tasked with bringing more Star Wars video games into the world. BioWare, of course, already has experience working with the Star Wars brand, producing the original Knights of the Old Republic RPG games (though only developing the first one internally), as well as the Old Republic MMO, which is perhaps most notable for costing EA an exceptional amount of money. On a possibly related note, financial terms for this deal were not disclosed.

"Every developer dreams of creating games for the Star Wars universe,” said EA Labels President Frank Gibeau. "Now, we own the exclusive rights to those dreams," he did not add, but I imagine he thought to himself at least once.

We'll bring you more on this deal as it becomes available.

Staff
#1 Posted by gamefreak9 (2359 posts) -

Yay?

#2 Posted by JoeyRavn (4974 posts) -

At least they can't fuck up worse than Jar Jar Binks, right?

... right?

#3 Posted by TheCableKid (206 posts) -

1313 back on?

#4 Edited by Krakn3Dfx (2490 posts) -

SimCity city sets for all major Star War's universe planets forthcoming?

I think the best thing that could come out of this would be the ability to build my own Mos Eisley.

Also, the obligatory:

#5 Posted by Rodiard (439 posts) -

Star Wars: Need For Lightspeed: Podracers

#6 Edited by TorMasturba (1094 posts) -

I naively proclaim! Maybe now we will get an ACTUAL KOTOR 3 instead a homogenized KOTOR MMO.

#7 Edited by Extreme_Popcorn (842 posts) -

DICE, Visceral and BioWare are cracking studios, I'd love to see what they could do with the Star Wars universe.

#8 Edited by Nightriff (5084 posts) -

KoOR 3 Proper please

#9 Posted by RoyCampbell (1096 posts) -

#10 Posted by PopeShabooda (46 posts) -

This isn't as bad as it sounds. I did a bunch of research on this, and

To continue reading this comment, purchase our Platinum Comment Pak™ (available only on Origin™), or purchase five (5) Crest™ products between now and May 8th, 2013!

#11 Posted by HadesTimes (804 posts) -

I'm sorry this wasn't the publisher we were looking for....

#12 Edited by Jackhole (376 posts) -

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that DICE is probably going to make a Star War first person shooter that may or may not resemble a certain modern military first person shooter that they currently make while also being a sequel to a game that may or may not feature a lot of similarities to the aforementioned shooter, but instead, is located in a science fiction based setting.

DICE is totally making Battlefront 3

#13 Posted by djou (875 posts) -

Mass Effect and SWKOTR cross over game from Bioware!

#14 Posted by JayEH (533 posts) -

I am so excited about this. The great part is that they are giving Star Wars to three great developers so I hope to see Battlefront 3, KOTOR 3, and a Star Wars Horror Game?

#15 Posted by Toxin066 (3288 posts) -

Could be okay with this. Battlefront 3. KEEP HOPE ALIVE.

#16 Edited by PsychoPenguin (168 posts) -

BioWare made a great Star Wars game in the past. I'm not that optimistic given EA's recent track record, but I'm not angry that they got the license.

#17 Posted by Itwastuesday (965 posts) -

star wars sucks

#18 Edited by XplusY (64 posts) -

Can I get BioWare to make a proper Knights of the Old Republic III now?

#19 Posted by mcmax3000 (282 posts) -

There is no way this goes over well with the internet NO WAY.

#20 Posted by SeanFoster (868 posts) -

They deserve each other.

#21 Edited by HubrisRanger (489 posts) -

Well that didn't take long. I wonder if this was the plan all along (IE, license out to a major publisher who is willing to pony up for the benefit of having a top shelf IP under their belt), or if EA made a rather convincing pitch/blank check. Either way, kinda surprised they'd double down on Star Wars after The Old Republic fizzled.

#22 Edited by Wacomole (819 posts) -

At least now we'll finally find out the proper currency exchange rate for Imperial Datari Credits to the Dollar.

#23 Edited by Xristophoros (18 posts) -

I never imagined things could get any worse for the Star Wars franchise... It appears I spoke too soon.

#24 Edited by WeskerResi001 (24 posts) -

I've got a bad feeling about this...

#25 Edited by rebgav (1429 posts) -

@rodiard said:

Star Wars: Need For Lightspeed: Podracers

Best possible outcome.

#26 Posted by machinerebel (121 posts) -

Guess that means another generation of terribly mediocre Star Wars games. Mark it down, because I guaranty that every release is going to be met with hostile reactions by the gaming community, justified or not.

#27 Edited by Draxyle (1852 posts) -

Urgh. I don't doubt the ability of their developers to make good games from that franchise, but there's always the question of, "How will EA screw over the consumer this time?". Them getting exclusive rights is only good for EA, not for the development community or consumer at large.

I suppose this is still a better scenario than Lucasarts making more games in what their state was, but still, not optimistic here.

#28 Posted by Vyper (109 posts) -

Finally, we can get Madden X Star Wars.

#29 Posted by Rirse (266 posts) -

RIP Star Wars

#30 Posted by ajamafalous (11994 posts) -

@extreme_popcorn said:

BioWare [...] I'd love to see what they could do with the Star Wars universe.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

#31 Edited by Shevar (136 posts) -

So one money grabbing company strikes a deal with another money grabbing company? Makes sense.

#32 Posted by ErikSchroder (207 posts) -

New Rogue Squadron, please! <3

#33 Posted by Anupsis (293 posts) -

FUCK

#34 Edited by raikoh05 (416 posts) -

what the fuck?

#35 Edited by Katkillad (142 posts) -

New Tie Fighter or no thanks.

#36 Posted by wrecks (2256 posts) -

IT'S A TRAP!

#37 Posted by Irvandus (2879 posts) -

Cause Star Wars games were awesome before this.

#38 Posted by Slay3r1583 (612 posts) -

Great idea. That certainly went well for them last time.

#39 Edited by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

Ew.

#40 Posted by Bamsen (342 posts) -

aawww man that sucks

#41 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -
  • A multiplayer-centric Battlefield-like DICE game set in the Star Wars universe? Hell yes! That's going to put an end to the dismal invisible inaudible shit-for-feedback bullets of late. Laserfight! *pew pew*
  • The chances of Bioware making a KotOR-like RPG experience just skyrocketed. *salivating*
  • Visceral is the wildcard here. Looking forward to seeing what they're going to come up with. Most likely Visceral will be tasked with the inevitable movie tie-ins. Star Wars with strategic dismemberment? Check.

Great news, as far as I'm concerned. I want to play all of these games like now! Hopefully the guys and gals at DICE and Bioware and Visceral feel the same way about this news, and bring their games to life with an extra dose of passion.

*cheer*

#42 Posted by Shuborno (938 posts) -

Somebody's gotta make the yearly licensed cash in titles for those upcoming yearly Star Wars movies. Might as well be the company completely unconcerned with a negative public perception.

#43 Edited by Riptide0 (28 posts) -

Awesome!...if they let Bioware/Pandemic (they're still a part of them, right?) make some more single-player KOTOR games instead of janky-ass boring MMOs and make that goddamn Battlefront 3 this is the best thing. If neither of those things happen this is the worst thing in the entire world ever.

#44 Posted by Parsnip (1086 posts) -

Turns out, I kind of don't care. Star Wars has no special place in my heart, so this doesn't really move me in any direction.

#45 Edited by Veektarius (4833 posts) -

I bet EA coughed up a lot of cash for this. They've backed themselves into a corner IP wise and this might be the secret door hidden behind a bookshelf that they were looking for.

#46 Posted by teekomeeko (624 posts) -

At least EA has the cash and clout to be able to handle this. Better than friggin' Disney and their terrible game development decision-making.

I'll keep myself hopeful for some good Star Wars content. I don't like the universe in general, but a fun game is a fun game. And I hope they revive 1313; that had some actual positive buzz around it, unlike darn near anything else Star Wars related is a very long time.

#47 Edited by Baltimore (273 posts) -

FORCEBALL! The newest sports video game sensation! Pre-order your copy today at your local GameStore location.

#48 Edited by Xristophoros (18 posts) -
#49 Edited by whatisdelicious (1216 posts) -

If this means we actually get some decent Star Wars games coming out because EA now feels the pressure to make money back from that deal, then great.

#50 Posted by drumpsycho89 (505 posts) -

hmmmmmmmmmmm i cant decide if this is good news or bad news....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.