Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

No LAN support for Starcraft 2

• 69 results
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By Jayge_
    @Jimbo said:
    " Edit: In response to Jayge.

Well, no, you can't.  I can and did and am perfectly happy with my conclusion.

But that still isn't 'the point'.  The point is that they aren't happy with piracy rates whatever they are, and removing unrestricted LAN is an attempted anti-piracy measure.  I'm not saying it will work, I'm not saying it won't be counterproductive - I'm saying that is why they've done it.  They certainly haven't decided to remove LAN through spite or because it's 'too hard'.Anybody not into PC gaming might not have understood the correlation between LAN mode specifically and piracy, so I explained it.  "
    Nobody thinking logically can. It's certainly possible that piracy based on P2P networks and file sharing may have risen tremendously with the rise of broadband, but surmising that piracy rates as a whole have risen (in proportion to sales) is impossible to justify.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By Jimbo

Piracy is easier and cheaper, therefore the rate of piracy will rise.  Seems pretty logical to me.  If you want to believe that isn't the case then feel free, but you could at least attempt to explain what the rate of piracy has to do with the issue at hand.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Jayge_
    @Jimbo said:
    " Piracy is easier and cheaper, therefore the rate of piracy will rise.  Seems pretty logical to me.  If you want to believe that isn't the case then feel free, but you could at least attempt to explain what the rate of piracy has to do with the issue at hand. "
    The original premise of AndrewB's response was that piracy had increased hugely, therefore requiring more drastic measures, as though there weren't pirates physically copying disks or using tons of other methods to score free games beforehand.
    velt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By velt

There is allready an online petition.

http://www.petitiononline.com/LANSC2/petition.html

I think that for once we should sign one of these.
    No LAN in a game like Starcraft 2 is a bad idea.

skywing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#55  Edited By skywing

yea wtf I had a lan party with starcraft like 3 days ago

WTF BLIZZARD!!!
    tanline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By tanline

this makes no sense. hopefully if the fans speak out enough blizzard will take notice. so what if this delays the game couple of more weeks.......we've been waiting 10+ years for a sequel, two more weeks doesnt hurt.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#57  Edited By TheHBK

How the fuck?  no lan?  Shit, that was the only reason I was gonna get it with my friends.  Oh man.. so how do you play with friends in the same place?  All have to be online?  I also hate online confrimation DRM that forces you to be online to play.  This is all shit, they better hear the backlash and change that.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By weltal

*Shrug* Never used lan. Anytime I'd play was over B-net with friends.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#59  Edited By tebbit

Are blizzard in any doubt that people arn't gonna buy their game? battle.net is sale for me on its own, and something to do with it being starcraft is another winner.

Leaving out Lan is just saying to your audience "you guys are all pirates, and we don't trust you. By the way, make sure you take a bullet for us".

The reason I buy Blizzard games is that they've built up good-will between us over the years. Their games are always fully featured, and I'll play them for years after i've brought them. What they're doing now is going back on that completely.
    velt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By velt

You know what? I made a decision, I was a customer, but I wont get fucked over because of that, so I will be a pirate.
    They want to fight piracy? They will have to fight me now.

Idiots.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#61  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Is the relationship between LAN use and piracy really so strong that they have to remove LAN from the game entirely? This sucks.

velt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By velt
    @Gamer_152 said:
    " Is the relationship between LAN use and piracy really so strong that they have to remove LAN from the game entirely? This sucks. "
    There is not... is that they want to promote the new battle.net at all costs.
    But LAN has nothing to do with battle.net  How are you going to set up a LAN game now?
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#63  Edited By RsistncE
    @Jimbo said:
    " @RsistncE: I'm sorry you find it ludicrous, but that's almost certainly why they've done it.  There is nothing 'local' about LAN anymore.You have a better explanation I presume?  You think they just woke up one morning and decided to take unrestricted LAN out to piss people off?  Oh, you got me, that's totally it. "
    I meant that reasoning used by Blizzard to remove the LAN feature is ludicrous, because it most definitely won't have any effect on how much Starcraft 2 gets pirated. Guess I placed my comma wrong.
    ToTida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By ToTida

Ugh, greedy greedy blizzard

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#65  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @ToTida said:
    " Ugh, greedy greedy blizzard "
    How dare they expect to get paid for the game they spent years developing!?  Shame!
    Lethkhar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Lethkhar
    @Gargantuan said:
    " I think they've also said that they have no plans for Diablo 3 LAN. "
    Now THAT would be stupid as fuck.
    Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By unsolvedparadox

I still think this is crazy, but I'm always online so it probably won't impact my gameplay experience. At least they have a robust achievement system to go with it.

mikbal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By mikbal

i m sure some group will emulate battle.net and add some lan support.
    i like to see face of my opponent when i beat him.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#69  Edited By Jeust
    @Jayge said: 

@Jimbo said: 

" Piracy is easier and cheaper, therefore the rate of piracy will rise.  Seems pretty logical to me.  If you want to believe that isn't the case then feel free, but you could at least attempt to explain what the rate of piracy has to do with the issue at hand. "

The original premise of AndrewB's response was that piracy had increased hugely, therefore requiring more drastic measures, as though there weren't pirates physically copying disks or using tons of other methods to score free games beforehand. "
    I don't think this has directly to do with piracy. But with increase of profits. In the sense that though they risk alienating a part of the fan base, the profits predicted by having every buyer playing on Battle.net will be greater, than by introducing LAN and pleasing everyone.  This way they can sell new maps, items, membership accounts, maybe voice chatting... $$$$$

The truth is that the administrators at Activision-Blizzard couldn't care less about their costumers, but they do care about their profits. But then again this business thrives due to the enthusiasts, and if software companies press them too hard they will eventually start to see a decline in their precious gains.

@velt  said: 

" @Gamer_152 said:

" Is the relationship between LAN use and piracy really so strong that they have to remove LAN from the game entirely? This sucks. "

There is not... is that they want to promote the new battle.net at all costs.
    But LAN has nothing to do with battle.net  How are you going to set up a LAN game now?
    "

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.