Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

This will be my first RTS taken seriously

HairyMike87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By HairyMike87

It seems that I'm alone in this. Almost everyone I know has played starcraft but me and it was because I could never get into rts games. Should I just bite the bullet and pre order it now or just stay away. I'm pretty sure a lot of people are going to be getting this.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Jams

I personally suck ass at RTS games. I used to play age of empires all the time on easy and just build everything up. When I tried to play it online or even against my sister, I would get my ass kicked. So be warned if you are anything like me, multilayer is going to chew you up and spit you out.

Feels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Feels

Hit up the Starcraft Battle Chest and see what it's about. It's going to be your best indicator of whether you're going to enjoy # 2

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Jeust
    @HairyMike87:  

The game will be great, but it isn't probably the best place to start. Maybe you should start with the first Starcraft or Warcraft III.  

This one won't have LAN, it will feature a improved Battle.net ( = more expensive) and the online play will be murderous.  
    TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By TomA

you obviously haven't played the right RTS games. alot of people think RTS's start and stop with the Blizzard games( Warcraft and Starcraft) but they are soooooo wrong. I reccomend playing some other RTS games before SC2. 

Examples:
     Medieval 2 Total War
    Company of Heroes
    Demigod
    Red Alert 3
    World in Conflict
    Warhammer 40k Dawn of War+ add ons(not Dawn of war 2 though it's less RTS and more rpg)
    Order of War
    Dungeon Keeper

zephyrox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By zephyrox
    @HairyMike87 said:
    " It seems that I'm alone in this. Almost everyone I know has played starcraft but me and it was because I could never get into rts games. Should I just bite the bullet and pre order it now or just stay away. I'm pretty sure a lot of people are going to be getting this. "
    My RTS is experience pre-Starcraft II is almost nonexistant.   I tried a little bit of Warcraft 3 campaign and really enjoyed it.  When i got into the SC II Beta though it was really truly an absolute blast.  The more i played it, the more i wanted to play.  These past few weeks without it have been trying times.  The ranking system is excellent in the game so I almost always got paired up with someone of similar skill level even though i was terrible.  Yes, occasionally I did face off against someone who was obviously a 10 yr RTS veteran.  However it was rare and usually only after a ranking wipe.  I think you should pre-order.  It is extremely fun and I can't wait to play it.
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Pinworm45

I played the motherfucking SHIT out of Warcraft 3 and Starcraft, but only as custom games or for fun. 

It's only recently that I got into serious vanilla competitive RTS. I am going to be taking SC2 very seriously. 

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By mikemcn

Competitive RTS is terrifying to me. I always wanted to get into it, but never could. I would say try starting out with Starcraft 1 and at least warm up.

ColMirage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ColMirage

Getitgetitgetitgetitgetitgetit.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Skytylz

I usually only play RTSs agains the computer, but I might try to play SC2 online too.

Makula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Makula
    @Feels said:
    " Hit up the Starcraft Battle Chest and see what it's about. It's going to be your best indicator of whether you're going to enjoy # 2 "
    Try this.

And definitely pick up SC2, you don't need RTS skills. Just try to coop with some friends.
    Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Semition

You should just buy it but don't jump directly into ladder.

If you have no experience with RTS, you'll get completely destroyed. 

I recommend you start by playing custom games or compstomps. They'll at least help you get some of the basic mouse/keyboard'ing skills you'll need for ladder.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sixghost
    @Jeust said:

" @HairyMike87:   The game will be great, but it isn't probably the best place to start. Maybe you should start with the first Starcraft or Warcraft III.   This one won't have LAN, it will feature a improved Battle.net ( = more expensive) and the online play will be murderous.   "

No offense, but that's not great advice. Starcraft:BW is so much different from SC2 at this point, and if you consider the SC2 multiplayer competition to be hard, you can't even imagine what it's like on BW.

Also, WC3 is a completely different kind of RTS.

Just go put a $5 preorder on the game at gamestop to get a beta code when the beta goes back up. Don't worry about getting crushed when playing online, SC2 is going to be absolutely huge, and there will be plenty of people just like you who aren't great at the game. Plus, the matchmaking has been pretty good in the beta.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#14  Edited By Atlas

I can beat the hardest level AI in Age of Empires II, but I've never wanted to take those skills online because I don't like people and will take any steps necessary to avoid them. I don't feel that playing against an AI in an RTS/TBS is really any worse than playing against a human being; in fact the only genre I think is actively better when played with real people is fighting games.

I'm not really a PC gamer anymore, and I never played the original StarCraft because as I said, AoE II was my RTS love, so I'll doubt I'll get into it. Maybe if the single player is good.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By jmrwacko

Lots of people are starting RTS'ing with Starcraft II. There's a lot of WoW players coming over to actual gaming because of SCII ;-)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.