Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Stargate Worlds

Game » consists of 0 releases.

Stargate Worlds was to be an MMORPG based on the Stargate TV show. This MMORPG has since been canceled.

The Gate Likely Shut On Stargate MMO

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 14

Edited By snide
    Chalk this up to awesome concept art gone to waste.
    Over at Stargate fan-site GateWorld Executive Producer and Creative Consultant Brad Wight indicates that the Stargate Worlds MMO is likely shuttered. While he seems a little cloudy on the subject, by the end of the confession it seems the MMO from first-time developer Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment is no longer in production.
    “We don’t know. It’s a shame. If it doesn’t happen — and, let’s be honest, it should be happening now if it was happening. It’s a shame. It’s a terrible shame. They had an opportunity and they got our support, and they obviously had significant funding, and it didn’t happen. It’s kind of a drag for the fans and the time that we invested — what little of it there really was, in comparison to what they did — was still a shame that it was wasted, because it should have happened.”
    According to some digging by GateWorld the final reasons seem to be lack of funding. Although this is sad news for Stargate fans it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise. Anytime I see the words first-time developer and first-time publisher (in this case Firesky) tied to an MMO I normally write it off from the get-go. Still, it's a shame the rich Stargate universe with its rabid fan-base won't see a new game anytime soon. Richard Dean Anderson fans though are in the clear with the recent rumor that a MacGuyver movie is in the works.
    snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By snide
    Over at Stargate fan-site GateWorld Executive Producer and Creative Consultant Brad Wight indicates that the Stargate Worlds MMO is likely shuttered. While he seems a little cloudy on the subject, by the end of the confession it seems the MMO from first-time developer Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment is no longer in production.
    “We don’t know. It’s a shame. If it doesn’t happen — and, let’s be honest, it should be happening now if it was happening. It’s a shame. It’s a terrible shame. They had an opportunity and they got our support, and they obviously had significant funding, and it didn’t happen. It’s kind of a drag for the fans and the time that we invested — what little of it there really was, in comparison to what they did — was still a shame that it was wasted, because it should have happened.”
    According to some digging by GateWorld the final reasons seem to be lack of funding. Although this is sad news for Stargate fans it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise. Anytime I see the words first-time developer and first-time publisher (in this case Firesky) tied to an MMO I normally write it off from the get-go. Still, it's a shame the rich Stargate universe with its rabid fan-base won't see a new game anytime soon. Richard Dean Anderson fans though are in the clear with the recent rumor that a MacGuyver movie is in the works.
    GaZZuM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By GaZZuM

:[

Duck44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Duck44

Its a real shame indeed.....

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

GOOD! because every thing i saw of it showed me that it would suck, Just like the last 4 seasons of stargate sucked cause richard dean anderson was pretty much gone and they kept going back to the stupid replicator/ascended being storyline, and atlantis sucked and then stargate universe will suck.

first 5 seasons of stargate were the best and the original movie.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm sure we all figured it would happen.

erinfizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By erinfizz

Yeah, kind of expected. It's too bad there haven't been any other games based on the TV show. I would totally dig a strategy game set in the Stargate universe.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Systech

I totally expected this to happen one way or another. It's sad that there were employees that put a lot of work in a project that would eventually be scrapped. Just stop making MMO's. Period.

stealthdf2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By stealthdf2

wow WilliamRbaker certainly has no idea what good sci fi is. If good sci fi = richard dean andersons lame jokes then have fun watching the reptile of the week offering from the new sy fy network......
    However i do admit from the previews of the new stargate show it looks like the gayest thing ever conceieved. some kind of alternate universe or something = dumb move

but it is ashame this game didnt make it, would have been amzing to explore the stargate universe

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By toowalrus

That's probably for the best. I've seen the past few Stargate movies, they're OK. I can't say I'd want to play a Stargate MMO. I guess I just wouldn't want them to MAKE a Stargate MMO and see it fail.

Actually, Anderson was one of my favorite parts about that show. Maybe that's why I'm not interested in this MMO, or why I find Atlantis so boring...

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Venatio

:(  Sadly I kind of expected this but I was still looking forward to this game, after all, it could have been so awesome

Mostly because Im a huge Stargate fan, SG-1, Stargate Atlantis and the movies were awesome, not so sure about Stargate Universe though and I really hope that a MacGuyver is in the works

Lepuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Lepuke

Doctor Who is better :)
    ...Sorry had to say it. But, as a condolence that would definitely fail as an MMO too.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

stealthdf2 said:
    "

wow WilliamRbaker certainly has no idea what good sci fi is. If good sci fi = richard dean andersons lame jokes then have fun watching the reptile of the week offering from the new sy fy network......
    However i do admit from the previews of the new stargate show it looks like the gayest thing ever conceieved. some kind of alternate universe or something = dumb move

but it is ashame this game didnt make it, would have been amzing to explore the stargate universe

"

The original cast made that show. I think one of the reasons the show was doomed to failure was it's reliance on the perfect chemistry between the original cast. There are others, like the cheesy Ori and the other silly shit they started to do. They seemed to have gotten bored with the down to earth cultural stuff that made Stargate so interesting and unique in the first place.
    Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14  Edited By Cerza

Nooooooo! Oh man this is some depressing news. I really wanted this game to happen even though I knew from the first initial announcements about it that it wouldn't :(

Enda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Enda

god damn it its one of the only shows i watch on tv and was looking forward to the video game!thank god there is universe next year!or i would go bonkers without my fix!

Nzwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Nzwei

Damn, the only MMO i would play additionally to WoW and it got kicked in the code :( . Bring Stargate back !!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
    deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

I was in beta for awhile and to tell you the truth I could tell it would be canceled cause it just wasn't good. Normally in a closed beta all the features are mostly in and they're just testing them but if that was all it had to offer then it would have been a giant flop. Noone was even playing the closed beta too which was a bad sign and I dunno it just felt really boring and akward to play. The characters for example looked like they came outta c omic book and they animated like all over the top like a comic book too.

ShiroMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ShiroMe

I'll just have to settle for the Samantha Carter poster on my wall with the lips worn off.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19  Edited By Deusoma

Wasn't there supposed to be a Stargate SG-1 third-person shooter a while back that got cancelled as well? This news sucks hard.

Contra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Contra

: (

I was looking forward to it, and I wanted to help...

I don't have tend of thousands of dollars though : /

EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By EntwineX

A shame. I'm not one into MMOs but I'm a big fan of stargate and thought this was looking promising. Oh well, maybe someone more capable will do something with the IP, a series with so many seasons and fans you would think someone would bother to make something from it, they've done it with far crappier shows.

borgmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#22  Edited By borgmaster

I followed this game until I heard about the "ice zat".....maybe this is for the best....

wh1terav3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By wh1terav3n

Damn it, seriously, I'm ticked that every stargate game gets shuttered. Why announce the game years in advance for it only to run out of funding? I wish to God I had never heard of the game because now I'm seriously pissed off. I wanted that game so bad. Please somebody, ANYBODY for God's sake, pick it up and run with it. please?

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#24  Edited By MeatSim

I forgot they were even making this game.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#25  Edited By falconer

It is really unfortunate. They made a lovely beta and everything (though I haven't played it myself). I'm a HUGE Stargate fan (as if the chevron icon didn't tip you off ;) ) and would of loved to of played SG Worlds.

And on the MacGyver note, RDA has absolutely nothing to do with the movie. He will, however, be in a few episodes of the first season of Stargate Universe.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    stealthdf2 said:
    "

"
    If your idea is if in doubt bring up some machines that are ever powerful yet some how get beat by lowly humans then by all means, Because it was pretty much the exact same thing with the ascended beings.

Replicators near invincible machines that some how repel and absorb super powered energy weapons BUT cannot stand gun powered and lead bullets.......And some how with a collective conciousness are defeated by single stand alone humans.

Ascended beings capable of taking every one out dont wanna interact with us but seemingly in another galaxy they do yet some how a whole faith based dynamic makes them more powerful and in having an entire galaxy believe in them they cannot take out the other galaxies ascended beings for no known reason.
    Stargate SG1 shouldn't have lasted 10 seasons it should have stopped at 5-6 seasons and the movies? oh my god are they bad its like a 2 hour version of what should have been a single stargate episode.
    As well Richard Dean Anderson made the show literally he was producer and writer for the show for quite a while did you even know that? so if you hated his lame jokes but loved the rest of the show then you have richard dean anderson to thank for it, till about the 4th -5th season which was about the time they started becoming obsessed with replicators and ascended beings  when he started phoning in his role and then pretty much retired from the show except for guest appearances.

Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By Sunjammer

Hell, they should just make a Richard Dean Anderson MMO, set in the Richard Dean Anderverse. That'd have broader appeal anyway. A time/space travelling MacGyver. Just thinking about the crafting system is making me go BANANERS

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#28  Edited By falconer

Sunjammer, that is quite possibly the most epic thing I've ever heard in the history of ever.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b65b74e68e3e
    deactivated-5b65b74e68e3e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why waste the effort they've put in so far. Maybe they can turn it into an quest-driven Oblivion/Fallout 3 type of game?

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Media_Master

O'well...

GozerTC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By GozerTC

Dang.  My wife was looking forward to being a Jafa.  :(

Oh well.   Aion is still in the works right?  There's also WoW still and Knights of the Old Republic and Star Trek Online to look forward to. :)

Psyx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Psyx2

My brother was in beta and I watched him play it for awhile. We both thought it seemed clunky and boring; it just wasn't good. (and he's a huge Stargate fan by the way) I'm not too surprised this happened.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.