Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Assassin's Creed 2 Failed to start Error code 83.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

So I bought Assassin's Creed 2 Deluxe Edition of Steam but when I try to play it I get an Error Coder (83) I have tried to verify the game cache but it did not fix the problem. 

This also happens with Battlefield: Bad company 2. 

What can I do to fix it? 

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By LiquidPrince

Buy a conosole? No sorry... I don't know.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " Buy a conosole? No sorry... I don't know. "
    Not a great answer, but thanks for bumping! :D
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NekuSakuraba

T__T  

Anyone?        

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By wefwefasdf

I know this is very simple, but, have you tried restarting Steam? 

You might want to put in a ticket with Valve.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Restart steam. If that fails, try and reinstall the game.

Either that or Steam is just being a little bitch at the moment.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @SpikeSpiegel: @wolf_blitzer85: Restarting Steam did not work, sadly.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Okay, I reinstalled the game and get to the Ubisoft launcher and it says '' An internet connection is required to play this game. Failed to connect to the Ubisoft master servers. Please verify that your internet connection is functional and try again.''

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By ZombiePie
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " Okay, I reinstalled the game and get to the Ubisoft launcher and it says '' An internet connection is required to play this game. Failed to connect to the Ubisoft master servers. Please verify that your internet connection is functional and try again.'' "
    All Ubisoft games must be connected to the internet AT ALL TIMES in order to play them on the PC as this is their form of DRM. If you lose your interent connect during the game you will have your session terminated immediately and not be given the option to save. It's messed up.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @ZombiePie
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " Okay, I reinstalled the game and get to the Ubisoft launcher and it says '' An internet connection is required to play this game. Failed to connect to the Ubisoft master servers. Please verify that your internet connection is functional and try again.'' "
    All Ubisoft games must be connected to the internet AT ALL TIMES in order to play them on the PC as this is their form of DRM. If you lose your interent connect during the game you will have your session terminated immediately and not be given the option to save. It's messed up.
    Yeah, the thing is I am connected to the internet yet lit still will bit work.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @NekuSakuraba
    @ZombiePie
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    Will not work* sorry I can't edit, on mobile.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Jeust
    @NekuSakuraba said:

" @NekuSakuraba

@ZombiePie
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    Will not work* sorry I can't edit, on mobile. "
    The servers are unreliable. You're in murky waters. You can always try to mod, as that seems to be the best and easiest solution.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Jeust said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:

" @NekuSakuraba

@ZombiePie
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    The servers are unreliable. You're in murky waters. You can always try to mod, as that seems to be the best and easiest solution. "
    How can I get it to work without mods or anything? It should be able to tell I am using the internet.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jeust
    @NekuSakuraba said:

" @Jeust said:

" @NekuSakuraba said:

" @NekuSakuraba

@ZombiePie
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    The servers are unreliable. You're in murky waters. You can always try to mod, as that seems to be the best and easiest solution. "
    How can I get it to work without mods or anything? It should be able to tell I am using the internet. "
    Not if their servers are down.  
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Jeust said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @Jeust said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:

" @NekuSakuraba

@ZombiePie
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    How can I get it to work without mods or anything? It should be able to tell I am using the internet. "
    Not if their servers are down.   The connection with their servers isn't reliable. "
    So how do I know when they are down or if it is my problem? 
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jeust
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @Jeust said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @Jeust said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:

" @NekuSakuraba

@ZombiePie
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    Not if their servers are down.   The connection with their servers isn't reliable. "
    So how do I know when they are down or if it is my problem?  "
    You don't.  You can go to the Ubisoft forums and go through the normal procedure, but there are no guarantees it will work. 
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SeriouslyNow

It's a known problem and has to do with some Software Firewall conflicts.   The simplest solution, aside from disabling/uninstalling your Firewall software, seems to be to start Steam in Offline Mode, by unplugging your LAN cable as before you start Steam then running the game.  Once this is done for each gaming giving your the unlock error (83), it shouldn't happen again when you start Steam as normal (with the LAN cable plugged in).

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " It's a known problem and has to do with some Software Firewall conflicts.   The simplest solution, aside from disabling/uninstalling your Firewall software, seems to be to start Steam in Offline Mode, by unplugging your LAN cable as before you start Steam then running the game.  Once this is done for each gaming giving your the unlock error (83), it shouldn't happen again when you start Steam as normal (with the LAN cable plugged in). "
    So I have fixed the error 83 for now but now it is this - 

@NekuSakuraba said:
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @NekuSakuraba:   Welcome to the wonderful world of Ubisoft in Windows.  UGH.  It's probably their servers being down.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @NekuSakuraba:   Welcome to the wonderful world of Ubisoft in Windows.  UGH.  It's probably their servers being down. "
    I had a friend try his copy out and it worked.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jeust
    @NekuSakuraba said:

" @SeriouslyNow said:

" @NekuSakuraba:   Welcome to the wonderful world of Ubisoft in Windows.  UGH.  It's probably their servers being down. "
    I had a friend try his copy out and it worked. "
    But it is a hard copy? 

If it is try modding. It's the most reliable solution. 

One possible explanation is that the servers weren't down at the time your friend tried, but truthfully the DRM is very temperamental and can have several problems of incompatibility and such.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:
    I had a friend try his copy out and it worked. "
    Then server load is greater than server capacity.  Or, simple english, Ubisoft doesn't properly support their paying customers.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @ZombiePie said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:
    All Ubisoft games must be connected to the internet AT ALL TIMES in order to play them on the PC as this is their form of DRM. If you lose your interent connect during the game you will have your session terminated immediately and not be given the option to save. It's messed up. "
    update 1.01 came out ages ago and it saves your progress exactly where you stopped
    Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By Origina1Penguin

You may have a problem with your internet settings. I've read that the game is very strict with that stuff. I also found this bizarre solution post:  

If your not able to play Assassins Creed II due to DRM other problems check here

The Ubisoft Launcher fails to authenticate the game. It seems to believe that Im offline.

"An internet connection is required to play this game. Failed to connect to Ubisoft master servers. Please verify that your internet connection is functional and try again."

Solution: 
    After having uninstalled the following programs I was able to play AC2.

Widecap http://www.widecap.com/
    WTFast http://www.wtfast.com/
    Python 2.6 x64 http://python.org
    Google Apps Engine http://google.com

An educated guess would be that Widecap and WTFast were the culprits.
    Of course if you guys like you could test this reproduce this error.

Im only sharing this because Im sure Im not the only one that had this problem.
    A lot of MMO gamers install widecap and WTFast, in order to use services such as lowping.com

Other Possible Solutions
    NOTE: If you are running in Windows Vista or Windows 7, please completely exit Steam, and right-click on the shortcut which you use to launch Steam and select "Run as Administrator."

You may need to manually run secondary installers required by this game.

Exit Steam entirely.

Browse to your Assassin's Creed 2 installation folder (Usually C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\assassin's creed 2\)

You will need to run the following installers:

...\steamapps\common\assassin's creed 2\redist\DirectX\DXSETUP.exe

...\steamapps\common\assassin's creed 2\redist\GameLauncher\UbisoftGameLauncherInstaller .exe

...\steamapps\common\assassin's creed 2\redist\VCRedist\vcredist_x86.exe

Then, restart your computer and test the issue again.    
    Most of the Steam forum for the game was not much help. Everything else I found I read said it was probably a server issue or proxy conflict.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Turn off your firewall and exit it. See if it works or not, it might be just a  firewall problem. If not, their servers might be down.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#26  Edited By MrKlorox

Does it do the same when you launch the exe directly form your steamapps folder? What about when doing so and choosing Run as Administrator?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.