Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Steam-savvy people, help me figure this out

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Rattle618

So I got into the hole Steam thing with the very recent addition of Team Fortress 2 to the list of F2P games and I dont really have any other games in it, therefore Im stuck with a restricted account (I cant send friend invites or join chats and other minor stuff),  
    I would quickly remedy this problem by dumping money into it, the thing is I severed all my ties to banking entities (hence no credit card) not long ago so I have money but no way to put it into my steam account. 
    Here is my question: do you guys know of any way I could get money into Steam without a credit card?. Id be glad to buy something from the TF2 store or another game maybe, and I do have the cash. Or maybe there is some sort of site that offers a few cents of steam money in exchange for something else?. I have no idea, help!

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

You can use PayPal, and you can link a bank account directly to PayPal without needing a credit or debit card.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Rhaknar

there is no site that gives you..."steam money"as you call it. Dont you have a debit card? that works too. If you have no card at all, than how do you expect to buy shit online? you cant even use paypal.

edit: well according to matty you CAN use paypal. there you go then, i thought you couldnt without some kind of card.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Aus_azn
    @MattyFTM said:

You can use PayPal, and you can link a bank account directly to PayPal without needing a credit or debit card.

If he severed all ties with his banking entities, I don't think TC has an account.

If you're saying that you have straight cash and want to put it into Steam, I don't think there's a way of doing that without getting some sort of prepaid debit/credit card of sorts.
    Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Where do you live? Steam seems to have quite a few options for specific customers. For example, we Dutch are given the option to pay with our iDEAL system.

KarlHungus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By KarlHungus

Purchase an American Express giftcard (or something similar) at your lo9cal grocery store. Use that on steam where Credit card info would normally be used.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You could buy a pre-paid card at a store.  That's the only way I know of if you don't have a bank account anymore.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Vodun

All ties? So you basically keep your money in your mattress?

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By UnrealDP

Buy a retail game at you're local best buy or something and make sure that its a valve game, then add the game to steam with the retail key or do what everyone above me is saying.

GreyColor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GreyColor

Try to track down Gabe. He'll accept payment directly if it's in the form of a knife.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Rattle618
    @S0ndor: Im in Argentina, I haven´t noticed any way to get this done here, no pre-paid cards or dedicated services that would help me out. 

@Vodun said:

A safe in a closet actually, but you were close enough.  

I have no bank account access whatsoever. 

@UnrealDP said:  This seems like it might work, I´ll check it out.
    project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By project343
    Step 1 - Head to your nearest Walmart and pick up a $20-50 pre-paid VISA 
    Step 2 - Create a Paypal account 
    Step 3 - Link your new pre-paid VISA to your Paypal account, and dump all the money onto Paypal 
    Step 4 - Go into Steam and use your newly-filled Paypal account to purchase something 
    Step 5 - ??? 
    Step 6 - PROFIT! 

@UnrealDP said: 

Buy a retail game at you're local best buy or something and make sure that its a valve game, then add the game to steam with the retail key or do what everyone above me is saying.

This also works. Pick up whatever Valve PC game that you don't currently own. Add the CD key to the Steam store. ???. PROFIT!
    Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Kyle

You can buy "cash cards" at convenience stores and stuff like that. I think they have paypal ones now, but honestly (and I know you won't actually do this) you should really just come back to civilization and get a bank account. Don't be ridiculous.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Wait I don't understand the problem itself... restricted wah?

ekajarmstro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ekajarmstro

I think if you get someone to gift you something you get a full account.

Avatar image for thekeyboarddemon
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon

Find someone you know, someone that trusts you, get them to pay for you on their card or through their paypal account (paypal might be better as you need their password to spend on it when they are not around and they get email notifications when you try and do this, not that you would! right?) and then pay them back immediately.

@project343: Nearest might be a few thousand miiles away, he's in Argentina.

@UnrealDP: Does it have to be a Valve game? Won't any game that requires Steam activation do the same thing? Ubisoft games such as Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell games and Assassin's Creed games are all activated on Steam, so is Alien Vs Predator to name a few.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By Marz

debit card or paypal is your best bet.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

Wow you seem really fucking crazy. Nice.

sionweeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sionweeks

If you have a paypal account you can get someone to send money to your account, then you can use it in steam, thus passing the credit card part. So if you have a friend you can give him $20 or whatever and he/she can send you the money via paypal > paypal.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Coombs
    @Rattle618 said:
    @S0ndor: Im in Argentina, I haven´t noticed any way to get this done here, no pre-paid cards or dedicated services that would help me out. 

@Vodun said:

A safe in a closet actually, but you were close enough.  

I have no bank account access whatsoever. 

@UnrealDP said:  This seems like it might work, I´ll check it out.
    Where do you live again? 

...and what kind of safe are we talking about, could it be carried by one pers.....  I mean.... 
    safes are heavy, how did you get it in there.....
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Find a friend with a credit card.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Coombs
    @sionweeks said:
    If you have a paypal account you can get someone to send money to your account, then you can use it in steam, thus passing the credit card part. So if you have a friend you can give him $20 or whatever and he/she can send you the money via paypal > paypal.
    This is probably the best bet
    commodore64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By commodore64

@Rattle618 said:

So I got into the hole Steam thing with the very recent addition of Team Fortress 2 to the list of F2P games and I dont really have any other games in it, therefore Im stuck with a restricted account (I cant send friend invites or join chats and other minor stuff), I would quickly remedy this problem by dumping money into it, the thing is I severed all my ties to banking entities (hence no credit card) not long ago so I have money but no way to put it into my steam account. Here is my question: do you guys know of any way I could get money into Steam without a credit card?. Id be glad to buy something from the TF2 store or another game maybe, and I do have the cash. Or maybe there is some sort of site that offers a few cents of steam money in exchange for something else?. I have no idea, help!

Some places sell those pre paid credit cards or if you have a paypal that would work as well.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Pinworm45
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    Wait I don't understand the problem itself... restricted wah?
    Steam restricts accounts until they have a game that costs money on it. TF2 F2P does not count. This is preventing him from messaging people and things like that.
    Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By Nekroskop

OP is either:

• A drugdealer
    • An escaped convict
    • A crazy person
    • Under witness protection
    • All of the above

Anyway, those pre-paid VISA cards work with Steam. Pick one up if you have the chance

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Subjugation

I'm still trying to figure out why you would sever all ties to your bank and continue on without a new bank. Maybe things are different in Argentina.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By SSully

@weeman105 said:

I'm still trying to figure out why you would sever all ties to your bank and continue on without a new bank. Maybe things are different in Argentina.

Go ask John Connor. Sometimes being the resistance for the human race has a few downsides.

yorick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By yorick
    @Rattle618
    Go to walgreens, buy a visa gift card, register the card with your zip code then use it to buy something on steam. I just bought something the other day that way. Unless you don't live in the US, then I don't know what to do. Maybe buy a boxed game like they suggested above
    Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Rattle618
    Problem solved guys, a really awesome duder (who didn´t post here so he probably wants to remain anonymous) made a gift to my account so now I can add all the friends I want to. 

I hate the banking system in principle and in practice, I found myself using cash most of the time anyway so I figured "fuck these assholes, Im going off the grid". Besides there is a really nasty precedent of banks destroying peoples lives here (as there are all over the world, but here it was massive). 

@Coombs
    : Buenos Aires, Argentina. The safe came with the apartment when I bought the place, it´s built into the closet (pretty cool right?). 
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By valrog

I use paysafecard.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.