Thief Collection finds its way to Steam

#1 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

Just saw this, and I'm hoping that they will bring even more games (Like Alice for example, and some other great titles that are currently missing). Thief Collection is now available on Steam, and with a 50% discount too.

If you like stealth games, Thief is definitely worth checking out.

#2 Posted by Death_Burnout (3792 posts) -

OH DUDE! My favourite games of all time. Thief Gold and Thief II....On Steam. The pleasure of buying these games again will be all mine. As far I'm concerned they are the best stealth games. Ever. Done.

#3 Posted by Sin4profit (2903 posts) -

I just bought the collection on Steam just now despite owning physical copies as well as copies that i bought from GoG.com

#4 Posted by mordukai (7125 posts) -

@Death_Burnout said:

OH DUDE! My favourite games of all time. Thief Gold and Thief II....On Steam. The pleasure of buying these games again will be all mine. As far I'm concerned they are the best stealth games. Ever. Done.

I wonder what version of Thief 2 steam has. I wanted to try Thief 2X over the winter but for some reason never got it to work.

#5 Edited by Death_Burnout (3792 posts) -

@mordukai said:

@Death_Burnout said:

I wonder what version of Thief 2 steam has. I wanted to try Thief 2X over the winter but for some reason never got it to work.

Actually that's a good point, I wonder if you could get T2X to work, not that it matters. I mean I have at least two T2 discs.

T2X is great, I was a little sceptical at first and aside from one or two missions, It is amazing.

#6 Posted by ItBeStefYo (1021 posts) -

@Death_Burnout: I just bought Thief gold on its own, figuring that the sequel is just unnecessary more of of a great (supposedly) game.

Am I correct in assuming this?

#7 Posted by Death_Burnout (3792 posts) -

@ItBeStefYo said:

@Death_Burnout: I just bought Thief gold on its own, figuring that the sequel is just unnecessary more of of a great (supposedly) game.

Am I correct in assuming this?

Oh man, no Thief 2 is absolutely worth getting. Only if you like the game of course, I look at it as a mission pack expansion to the first game with a few tweaks and additions, oh and story of course. Thief 2 has some of the most beloved Thief missions in it. I personally prefer the theme and tone of the first game myself, but T2 is a must. I would say that though!

#8 Posted by oraknabo (1453 posts) -

1 & 2 have been on GOG for a while and I got Deadly Shadows on Steam at least a year ago for almost nothing.

#9 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5137 posts) -

Are these games worth playing if you've never played them before? Do they hold up OK?

#10 Posted by Raethen (180 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse: The Thief series is great and well worth going back to. Deadly Shadows (the most recent) is the weakest of the series, but there is one level in the game that every fan of horror games should play, and makes purchasing Deadly Shadows worth it in my opinion. If you can afford it, get the whole pack.

#11 Posted by J12088 (434 posts) -

WOOO! About time. Buying 1 and 2. Already own 3. I thin the fourth is coming soon too. Tho i hear it has multiplayer which is worrying.

#12 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11419 posts) -

Already have them on GOG, but in general the Thief series is excellent and people should buy them.

#13 Edited by squirrelnacho (329 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse said:

Are these games worth playing if you've never played them before? Do they hold up OK?

They are very good games. However, they require a level of patience that newer games don't. Some people who are only used to playing new action games won't like them. Most major games have become linear, easy, and action oriented. It's too bad, moderately challenging games can be fun. The third game is probably the best to start with.

#14 Posted by ItBeStefYo (1021 posts) -

@Death_Burnout: Wait, Thief deadly shadows and Thief Gold are different things?! oh no what have I done.

#15 Posted by squirrelnacho (329 posts) -

@ItBeStefYo

Did you look at the individual game descriptions at all? They are 3 different games, each getting slightly newer graphics and different features.

#16 Posted by supermonkey122 (809 posts) -

They need the Diablo games on Steam, unless Blizzard won't let them or something.

#17 Posted by ItBeStefYo (1021 posts) -

@squirrelnacho: This is a terrible mistake, gonna have to go to steam support for the first time, see what happens!

#18 Posted by Tesla (1903 posts) -

Oh snap, thanks for the heads up.

#19 Posted by mordukai (7125 posts) -

@Death_Burnout: Seems like steam has the latest official patch they had for the games so the games are vanilla. You'll have to install the FOV mods for those games and some fan made mods to make the game look better.

#20 Posted by Death_Burnout (3792 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse: They hold up incredibly well, like...I get more enjoyment playing these games to death now than playing most games that come out today. There are some problems with platforming and climbing, but nothing you can't handle. I still love the visuals, in fact the visuals are part of why I love the game so much as well as the sound design, both create an atmosphere you will be hard pressed finding better in games today.

#21 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5137 posts) -

@GDYoder: @squirrelnacho: @Death_Burnout:

Sounds pretty rad, thanks for the information.

#22 Posted by Raethen (180 posts) -

@ItBeStefYo: Keep it. Deadly Shadows is still a great stealth game. Mechanically, it is probably the best in the series though I've only played the first two without mods. There is a little less exploring, but the world is still fun to explore and the Cradle is incredible.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.