Valve christmas presents - what did you get?

#1 Edited by Deleth (250 posts) -

Well so far I got:

Failed to load web page (unknown error).-118

Failed to load web page (unknown error).

And you?

#2 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

Wanna trade? I got nothing.

#3 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

I'm waiting until the 5 million people log off so I can go check. Jesus christ Steam prints money... I should have worked for Valve. :(

#4 Posted by Deleth (250 posts) -

No wai! I'm going to enjoy my unknown error -118 now. I'm so excited!

#5 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

I got a 50% off Valve games code... Probably gonna use it on HL1 or save it for a new game release like CSGO or DotA 2. 

I'm really tempted to just buy these games to get more achievements and gifts, but I'm so damn low on cash right now.

#6 Posted by Creamypies (4049 posts) -

I got stabbed by Gabe Newell.

#7 Posted by MrKlorox (11203 posts) -

Valve Christmas Presents: Madea Pwns some Noobs

#8 Edited by animathias (1170 posts) -

I got a

Guru Meditation

Just what I've always wanted! (I have no idea what that means, but that's the error I get.)

#9 Posted by Adamsons (877 posts) -
@Jack268 said:
I got a 50% off Valve games code... Probably gonna use it on HL1 or save it for a new game release like CSGO or DotA 2.  I'm really tempted to just buy these games to get more achievements and gifts, but I'm so damn low on cash right now.
Pretty sure the codes say they cant be used on games released after Jan 2nd.

I got a 25% off code and Men of War: Vietnam, whatever that is.
#10 Posted by AlexAlterisio (88 posts) -

Can you use a gift coupon on items already marked down or on full priced items only?

#11 Posted by HellBrendy (992 posts) -

What is this gift you are talking about?

#12 Posted by Deleth (250 posts) -

So I was able to retrieve one of my two gifts, it's 50% on Valve. If anyone is interested in it and has ANYTHING at all he's willing to give for it let me know. I've got most Valve games and do not need it. I wish I'd know what the other one is. But it doesn't show up anywhere.

#13 Posted by h0lgr (908 posts) -

It said "Just to get started we'll give you a free gift" then I pressed Get Started, gave me an error, reloaded and now nothing.
=(

#14 Posted by CycloneDE (46 posts) -

@Jack268: i cant check now because steam is obviously not quite willing to cooperate but i think it said the code is only valid for games released before january 2nd. which sucks because i basically have all the valve games i want that are out now... Oh well, cant really complain i guess.

#15 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

@NekuSakuraba said:

Wanna trade? I got nothing.

Oh wait, now I have no items in my TF2 inventory.

Great.

#16 Posted by MrKlorox (11203 posts) -
@animathias said:

I got a

Guru Meditation:

XID: 1036531578

Just what I've always wanted! (I have no idea what that means, but that's the error I get.)

You found the secret phone number. Call it and you'll get a recorded message from Insane Clown Posse wishing you a merry Christmas and telling you to buy the new album.
#17 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

@Deleth: What presents do you speak of? I didn't get anything...

#18 Posted by Skytylz (4029 posts) -

I got a %25 of valve games code, probably gonna use it on portal 2.

#19 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5250 posts) -

Well I got all the way to my inventory before Steam broke again. So what I'm reading on that top banner is that you can possibly win everything on Steam? That would be pretty cool if that's the case.

#20 Posted by B0nd07 (1697 posts) -

The Steam Inventory was slow and buggy for me before the sale, now it's just flat out broken. However, the one time it did work I saw that I got a 66% off coupon for Two Words II, which I'll totally use 'cause it's not like I don't already have Skyrim or anything...

#21 Posted by Deleth (250 posts) -

You should get one on steam just for looking at the whole thing. If you're able to get into your steam inventory and it shows up there. You also get more of them (or coal) for doing achievments. I should have three by now. Only one showed up.

It however seems like if you already own a game, the gift just "vanishes" from your inventory. Some people reported having Portal 2 (who already owned the game) and having it vanish and instead getting an friggin useless 25-50% valve coupon. Obviously valve doesn't feel like letting them trade or swap it for something else.

#22 Edited by AndrewB (7481 posts) -

Thank fucking Jobs I'm not alone on this one. My gifting is broken. I got the page to half load once and I think I had a 25% off coupon (if so, then fuck yeah!), but I think I'd rather, you know, have the ability to gift the games I had purchased as Christmas presents over a month ago now.

I know I'm being one of those asshole customers I hate so much, but I kind of panicked when I realized that I might have zilch to give to some people in a few days here.

Valve's Christmas present was a big middle finger.

#23 Posted by Talis12 (488 posts) -

@animathias said:

I got a

Guru Meditation:

XID: 1036531578

same here

#24 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

So... I think I got nothing?

#25 Posted by fisk0 (3849 posts) -

I'm also getting:

Guru Meditation:
XID: 2169615339
Varnish cache server

Now, if they only gave me an Amiga computer to display it on (Guru Meditation is a reference to the Amiga's version of Blue Screen of Death, which had the text "Guru Meditation, Press left mouse button to continue").

#26 Posted by Video_Game_King (35975 posts) -

I think I won Portal 2, but I'm not entirely sure. It's listing that I have no inventory items for it, but I don't even see the game in my library.

#27 Posted by AndrewB (7481 posts) -

It's going to suck if I have a percent off any Valve product anyway, since I own literally every Valve title to date.

#28 Posted by BeachThunder (11686 posts) -

You currently have 0 items in your Steam inventory.

=(

#29 Posted by canucks23 (1087 posts) -

I got a 503 error.

#30 Edited by Mr_Skeleton (5137 posts) -

Null presents.

Edit: Holy shit I got Episode 2!!!

#31 Posted by Lazyaza (2166 posts) -

I'd like to know myself, all of Steam is lagged so intensely right now its unusable.

#32 Posted by Mnemoidian (955 posts) -

I'd just chill for a bit, Steam servers appear to be getting hammered at the moment. Will probably(?) get better if you are patient.

#33 Edited by mak_wikus (502 posts) -

The tab says "Steam (2)", but the window says that I have 0 items :(

EDIT: The Team Fortress 2 window says the same(tab - 32) o_O

#34 Edited by AndrewB (7481 posts) -

New thread title: what varnish would you gurus use on the Valve servers? Personally, I'd use cherrywood. Matches most of my living room furniture.

#35 Edited by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

So...Steam is completely on fire now right? I can't even get in to buy Singularity.

EDIT: Well, I finally got the store functioning (it still threw me an error, but the game is downloading now...I think...) but my inventory is still busted. Valve needs to adapt their service to deal with these high volumes of traffic, especially given that we will be getting new deals for the next 2 weeks.

#36 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5137 posts) -

I guess I don't have a Steam inventory? Mine only shows my TF2 inventory (which is empty for some reason). These sales make everything so slow...

#37 Posted by DjCmeP (1148 posts) -

I got a 25% off Valve code but I already own every Valve game so I have no use for it.

#38 Posted by MayorFeedback (674 posts) -

Poor Valve. It must be hard being so popular and having so many people trying to give you money that your website falls apart.

My inventory worked earlier (coupon for 25% any Valve game, I have all of those and you know it, Steam!!), but now it's busted.

Also this whole thing reminded me how many extra copies of games I have just sitting around. Geez. Gotta find a way to give that stuff away to folks who'd appreciate them.

#39 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

I got Error 533 if anyone wants it!  

There we go -33% off steam games. Valid from January 2... yaay

#40 Posted by animathias (1170 posts) -

@nintendoeats said:

So...Steam is completely on fire now right? I can't even get in to buy Singularity.

Burning and huddled in a corner while 4 million people try to steal its candy. I thought it'd be more stable now than when it started, but nope.

At least Dead Island says it's $27 now instead of flipping between $10 and $27. So there's that.

#41 Posted by NickL (2246 posts) -

Im getting the error too =( I'll wait until tonight i guess (I wanna buy orcs must die for me and my friend!)

Just gonna put this here in case you didn't read it:

Grand Prize of the January 2nd giveaway: Every game on steam.

what...

the...

fuck...

#42 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@Deleth said:

Well so far I got:

Failed to load web page (unknown error).-118

Failed to load web page (unknown error).

And you?

I had a good, hearty chuckle at this. Haha.
#43 Posted by animathias (1170 posts) -
@NickL: Just fair warning, Orcs Must Die! is single-player only. A great game, but single player. Sorry if you already knew that. :) 

Also, yeah. Every game on Steam. That sounds insane. Imagine what your library would look like.
#44 Posted by NickL (2246 posts) -

@animathias said:

@NickL: Just fair warning, Orcs Must Die! is single-player only. A great game, but single player. Sorry if you already knew that. :) Also, yeah. Every game on Steam. That sounds insane. Imagine what your library would look like.

Yeah I realized it was single player shortly after that post but me and my friend decided to go super cheap with christmas presents so 3.74 for a game he wants is a great deal. Sucks that we can't play together but oh well.

#45 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -
@animathias said:

I got a

Guru Meditation

yeah, it's what i got and 503 error. i'll wait for people to get offline when it's night time.
#46 Posted by fisk0 (3849 posts) -

finally got my gift(s), turned out to be two coupons, one "25% off Valve titles", and one "10% off Codemasters titles".

#47 Edited by Jackel2072 (2236 posts) -

25% off Valve games.  kind of worthless seeing as how i pretty much own every game from Valve. Oh boy Counter-Strike condition zero just what i always wanted...  

it says the item is tradable so if any buddy wants its. i will gladly give it to them. 

#48 Posted by fisk0 (3849 posts) -

@Jackel2072 said:

hmm says i have something then when i click it says you have 0 items in your steam inventory.

Had that issue for about 2 hours too. Just corrected itself.

#49 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -

I'm not having a huge issue getting around, but my inventory doesn't have anything steam-related in it...

#50 Posted by crusader8463 (14413 posts) -

Still waiting for something I don't already own goes on sale. As I said in one of the other threads about this, there are only a handful of games that I want on Steam that I don't already own and they are still too new for them to drop to a price I would be willing pay for.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.