Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Xbox Controller with Steam

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Vinchenzo

Does it have to be wired? I have a wireless with the charge cable so I can plug it into my computer's USB port. I'm hoping there's a way to use this controller with Steam, otherwise I have to buy a wired controller? Once I plug it in I shouldn't have to do anything, isn't that right?

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

I have no experience with Steam but the wireless + charger cable works for me for any other game that supports it.
    Don't forget the official microsoft driver thingie.

ribeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By ribeye

Yes it has to be wired, I happened to have one, Assassin's Creed is much more enjoyable with a controller btw.  I have Windows 7 and it found it when I plugged it in, but I still had to update the drivers before it recognized it.  All in all it's totally worth it

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @RipTheVeins said:

" Nope, you'll have to have an actual wired conrtoller.  The charge kit only charges the battery pack, it doesn't actually transfer the controller's actions to anything.  Or you could also get one of Microsoft's wireless controllers made for PCs  http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox-Wireless-Controller-Windows/dp/accessories/B000KA5T6A  Personally, I like the wired controller since it's easier to go back and forth between the consoles and you don't have to worry about charging or replacing batteries.  "

Yep, this is right.  

Although, you can also get the stand alone wireless dongle for $20 if you don't need another controller.
    owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By owl_of_minerva

The play+charge kit w/wireless works, nothing more is needed. 

Edit: Actually, never tried that with a steam game. Will try it out myself.

Karolis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#6  Edited By Karolis

You might need to get the wireless adapter dongle thing, but first try it out with the charger cable. Let us know how it goes :)

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Doctorchimp

For Steam it has to be wired, go to Fry's and buy a wired 360 controller. 

Just remember it only has to be wired, I remember I was at like Best Buy and it had the wired controllers next to the official Microsoft 360 pads for PC controllers and they were like 10 dollars more expensive.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

You either need a wired controller, or an Microsoft's wireless Xbox receiver for windows (this thing). The Play & Charge kit won't work, all that cable does is charge the battery pack - no data about your button presses is being transmitted via the wire. All that data is still going via the wireless connection, and you'll need the wireless receiver for that data to be received by a PC.

mattyhochs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By mattyhochs

Does anyone know a way to control the Steam UI with a controller? I'm trying to set up a PC in my living room as a console, and being able to launch a game via a controller would really help.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By meteora

^No idea, I'd like to see the Xbox Guide button being used instead of doing nothing really but powering the controller on. 

Its funny how I ended up from using a 360, jumping on the PC and buying a controller for that after being fed up with the funky movements on keyboards...

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By defaulttag
    @Masijet: no way to do that. you can use xpadder to map the mouse arrow to the right analog stick if you want. but that's just worse than using an actual mouse. just use a wireless mouse and keyboard. it's not a big deal. 
    sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By sfighter21

Don't know if this is cheaper, but my cousin got me this for Christmas.  Works great.  Man, so glad I got this just before I started playing Prince of Persia.  Comp controls would have been ridiculous!!  Now I can also buy racing games!

EDIT:  To be specific, I actually own this one.  Cheaper cuz of no rumble...

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By IncredibleBulk92
    @MattyFTM said:
    " You either need a wired controller, or an Microsoft's wireless Xbox receiver for windows (this thing). The Play & Charge kit won't work, all that cable does is charge the battery pack - no data about your button presses is being transmitted via the wire. All that data is still going via the wireless connection, and you'll need the wireless receiver for that data to be received by a PC. "
    Yea "this thing" is awesome, it syncs up to your computer as easy as your Xbox and most games these days recognise the Xbox 360 controller.  As far as I care to find out this is the only thing that'll let you use a wireless pad with your computer.  Use your charge kit to charge it in your computer if you feel like but not every game will work with this.  SupCom for example, is not suited to an xbox controller.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.