Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Combos: They Matter

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

Edited By lordofultima

I know it's hard for some people to grasp here, but combos DO make the difference between winning and losing. I had not been approached with such an anti-combo sentiment until recently, and it's since snowballed into claims that are obviously false. If two equally skilled opponents take on each other, it'll be the one that can optimize their damage dealing opportunities that will be the victor. Footsies and zoning are very important, and it's very possible to win with just doing c.MK -> Fireball as Ryu. Although that in itself is a combo anyway.

When I whiff a HP Shoryuken, I feel pretty dumb. I'm anticipating the hurt, but when someone just walks up and throws me I get pissed. Not because they threw me per say, but because they weren't smart enough to capitalize on that blatant opportunity to deal damage to me. Weren't smart enough, simple as that. If you deny the use of combos you simply aren't smart, I said it. You might not want to put in the time and practice to do the big dealers, the flashy double FADC combos, and you can debate those all you want. But this is in itself your inadequacy and not my f'ing problem. Combos work, whether you choose to accept it or not.

Now I FADC in my combos pretty liberally, so let me hit this point pretty quick. EightBitWarrior brings up a perfectly valid point in that why would I burn that meter to get 40 more damage or whatever -- and that's simply a difference in standpoints. He thinks it's neglegable enough to where it means nothing, and I say that an extra 40 damage at the right time will win the match. Some people may be more conservative like him, and I'm fine with that. He's not opposed to combos at all, but at the same time he might as well get used to it since it only gets crazier from here (at least from me).

This was not a response to him, but if you think about the other uses of Akuma's EX Meter, the only thing I adore is the EX Tatsu. I don't care about super, I don't even care about EX Air Fireballs. The EX Demonflip is good for predicting fireballs, but those are all very situational. If I have the opportunity to cancel my LP SRK into an HP Red Fireball, I'm going to. Simple as that.

Here's an example of a game-winning combo that burned Momochi's entire Super Meter. Starts at 3:55 - ish. Demon Flip Palm Reset, c.MK -> Fireball -> FADC, s.HP(c) -> LK Tatsu, LP Shoryuken -> FADC, HP Shakunetsu

In case you haven't picked up on it, I'm recording Theory Fighter 001 over these next couple days, and it's about the Anatomy of a Combo. You're probably interested if you've read this whole blog, so make sure you check it out when I release it (probably as several parts since a combo is a huge thing to break down). Let me know what you guys think, no cross-handed opinions allowed though. (kidding)

edit: I actually displayed that combo in my Demon Flip tutorial video, I feel so pro! Haha.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By lordofultima

I know it's hard for some people to grasp here, but combos DO make the difference between winning and losing. I had not been approached with such an anti-combo sentiment until recently, and it's since snowballed into claims that are obviously false. If two equally skilled opponents take on each other, it'll be the one that can optimize their damage dealing opportunities that will be the victor. Footsies and zoning are very important, and it's very possible to win with just doing c.MK -> Fireball as Ryu. Although that in itself is a combo anyway.

When I whiff a HP Shoryuken, I feel pretty dumb. I'm anticipating the hurt, but when someone just walks up and throws me I get pissed. Not because they threw me per say, but because they weren't smart enough to capitalize on that blatant opportunity to deal damage to me. Weren't smart enough, simple as that. If you deny the use of combos you simply aren't smart, I said it. You might not want to put in the time and practice to do the big dealers, the flashy double FADC combos, and you can debate those all you want. But this is in itself your inadequacy and not my f'ing problem. Combos work, whether you choose to accept it or not.

Now I FADC in my combos pretty liberally, so let me hit this point pretty quick. EightBitWarrior brings up a perfectly valid point in that why would I burn that meter to get 40 more damage or whatever -- and that's simply a difference in standpoints. He thinks it's neglegable enough to where it means nothing, and I say that an extra 40 damage at the right time will win the match. Some people may be more conservative like him, and I'm fine with that. He's not opposed to combos at all, but at the same time he might as well get used to it since it only gets crazier from here (at least from me).

This was not a response to him, but if you think about the other uses of Akuma's EX Meter, the only thing I adore is the EX Tatsu. I don't care about super, I don't even care about EX Air Fireballs. The EX Demonflip is good for predicting fireballs, but those are all very situational. If I have the opportunity to cancel my LP SRK into an HP Red Fireball, I'm going to. Simple as that.

Here's an example of a game-winning combo that burned Momochi's entire Super Meter. Starts at 3:55 - ish. Demon Flip Palm Reset, c.MK -> Fireball -> FADC, s.HP(c) -> LK Tatsu, LP Shoryuken -> FADC, HP Shakunetsu

In case you haven't picked up on it, I'm recording Theory Fighter 001 over these next couple days, and it's about the Anatomy of a Combo. You're probably interested if you've read this whole blog, so make sure you check it out when I release it (probably as several parts since a combo is a huge thing to break down). Let me know what you guys think, no cross-handed opinions allowed though. (kidding)

edit: I actually displayed that combo in my Demon Flip tutorial video, I feel so pro! Haha.
    Avatar image for eightbitwarrior
    EightBitWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By EightBitWarrior

Pulling off 14 hit combos every other second makes you look like you're trying to prove something way too hard. Combos win you the match? Sure they help, but wit, experience, and last but not least reflexes play a much, much larger role.

My point about said combos is that you could probably do 6 hit combos that deal the same damage as some of your 12 hit combos, substituting a harder punch/kick. Throwing them in once in a while for shock value or cool value is neat, but when that's ALL you do, it just looks silly. Do you ever watch Justin Wong (or any other pros) dealing out LARGE combos every other moment in regular SF games? I sure don't.

Your combos are only going to get more crazy from here on out? If I have to sit through 25 hit combos every time you get a hit off on me, and wait 15 seconds while you do a medium punch worth of damage, I'm sorry to say I will not be playing vs you anymore (for sanity's sake).
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Stang

Although that fight was pretty fucking boring, that last Akuma combo was sick. It looked pretty, but I will stick to the smaller, more accessible combos. Trying combos that complicated will result in my face in the asphalt, no exceptions.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By lordofultima
    @EightBitWarrior: I'm sorry if you're taking offense to this, but sometimes you have to do combos that hit more times and do less damage. If you did any research you'd realize the importance of hit-confirming. This blog wasn't even directed towards you, yet you take so much hostility.

Even though I just finished recording all the footage for this (probably epic) Theory Fighter, I'll go through the trouble of explaining this. You over-exaggerate how much less combos with more hits do, a good combo with a hit-string  (c.LP, c.LP, c.MP for example) before hand can end up being 8-10 hits, which will do the same damage as a combo that starts only with a s.HP, and is 5 hits in total.

This does not make those combos irrelevant, since NO HUMAN BEING will consistently be able to react to whether or not the opponent blocks that s.HP (close). That's 4 frames of start-up, plus 2 active. SIX FRAMES. How many frames per second does this game run. 60. If you can react to that you honestly are the son of god, I'm sorry. s.HP also has HORRIBLE recovery time if you throw it in hopes of it connecting, you're playing a losing game.

If you ASSUME without knowing for sure that the fierce will connect, and you do the LK Hurricane Kick in fucking auto-pilot mode, if that fierce is blocked you're going to get punished. Simple as that. Hit-confirming with the aid of hit/block strings with quick normals which are safe on block (read: no biggie if they block them) into a combo makes it far more efficient in regards to actually ever connecting a combo. I know it's a big change instead of 35% damage it does 25%, OH MY. THAT'S STILL 25% of your total health, and an apt punishment for you not being prepared. End of story.

edit: also of note, talking to me about what pros do is awfully ironic when I follow the scene intently where as you can't watch a Street Fighter video for more than 3 minutes. Ed Ma performed several of my combos in question here at the SBO Qualifiers at Denjin Arcade. As in, he was in the grand finals and ALMOST got the trip to Japan. Momochi as seen here is not afraid to use meter when applicable, he's one of the top Akuma's in the world. Your argument has no base.
    EightBitWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By EightBitWarrior
    @lordofultima: I'll just comment on that hit confirming BS. I can totally get what you're saying with that, but you're telling me it takes you 15 hits to realize if you've hit a person or not? If so, you must have reflexes of a slug. I'm not commenting on "man you should just do 1 punch instead of any combos" No, you might be misinterpretting that. I'm saying that all of the crazy, long winded combos are superfluous and boring to see played every second. I take my hands off the control and sigh half the time we fight and I have to watch your brain kick into the same pre-determined mode that you've practice for 600 hours in training mode to do.

Also, It's funny that you think you're a pro because you watch videos. I don't think I'm a pro, but I've been around the block enough to have as much or more opinion than a theory fighter. You also tell me Street Fighter IS combos, and they're so, so important to do all these crazy ass combos, but have you ever played Street Fighter II? Hardly.
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#6  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Speaking strictly as a mediocre-to-poor old school Street Fighter gamer, I think the best are the ones that use only the tools needed for the job.  The joy of Street Fighter IV is in its options - a player may not need combos, but they exist and are there to help change up the game.  The strongest players are either not going to follow set patterns, or set up their opponent to believe that they follow a set pattern and then sucker them into something completely different.  I think it helps to learn both sides - heavy, short combos and lighter multi-hit combos.

Hell, half the time against a shitty opponent like me, all you'd basically have to do is mash a button while I continually walk right into you.  Hah!

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CL60

blasphemy.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Scooper
    "When I whiff a HP Shoryuken, I feel pretty dumb. I'm anticipating the hurt, but when someone just walks up and throws me I get pissed. Not because they threw me per say, but because they weren't smart enough to capitalize on that blatant opportunity to deal damage to me. Weren't smart enough, simple as that. If you deny the use of combos you simply aren't smart, I said it. You might not want to put in the time and practice to do the big dealers, the flashy double FADC combos, and you can debate those all you want."

I am smart enough to know I should do a big fancy combo at every chance, I'm just not good enough to do so, so instead of risking that I'll do a throw or maybe an EX Hurricane kick or a simple combo. Thanks for the insult, though.

To be honest I don't want to be doing that all the time anyways, it looks good and is impressive when it's being done but then you look at the healthbar afterwards and you wonder if it was worth all the effort. Sometimes if I'm just playing people online I don't need to be all "WIN OR GO HOME SUCKAAA!!!", I'll just throw him on the floor after he fluffs his uppercut. Sure I may loose X amount of "POTENTIAL DAMAGE AAAAAAAA!!!!!!!" but........... whatever.

Ps. EightBit, I love SFII! I've got my SNES hooked up with Super Street Fighter II constantly and just find myself always turning it on and playing it even though I've got SFIV right there. No Supers, no ultras, no 10 minute combos, just you and a guy playing some damn SF. So fun.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9  Edited By jakob187

I think that while combos ARE important, knowing your situation is the most important of them all.  What EightBit might not be understanding is that combos do more than just damage in the game.  They will easily frustrate and fluster the opponent because they keep happening, which in turn throws them off their guard and make them play sloppier.  There's a much greater mind-game to all of this than just "combos win the match" or "instinct wins the match".  There are a LOT of things that go all together to win the match.

With that said, combos ARE important, whether you like to believe so or not.  I think Gen pretty much proves that.  =  /  They aren't the MOST important, but they are important.
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By ImperiousRix
    @Scooper said:
    I am smart enough to know I should do a big fancy combo at every chance, I'm just not good enough to do so, so instead of risking that I'll do a throw or maybe an EX Hurricane kick or a simple combo.

I can totally relate.  Yes, if somebody misses a move or if I find some kind of opening, I would LIKE to give him some kind of crazy juggle combo or something, but the fact is is that I'm far more confident in my ability to just throw the guy or give him some other simple knockdown combo that does solid damage and get back on the defensive.  I'm sure it means I'll never be elevating my game past its current "serviceable" level, but I just can't do long combo strings.
    EightBitWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EightBitWarrior

I just pray Yun never gets added to SF4.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Scooper
    @ImperiousRix said:
    " @Scooper said:
    I am smart enough to know I should do a big fancy combo at every chance, I'm just not good enough to do so, so instead of risking that I'll do a throw or maybe an EX Hurricane kick or a simple combo.
    I can totally relate.  Yes, if somebody misses a move or if I find some kind of opening, I would LIKE to give him some kind of crazy juggle combo or something, but the fact is is that I'm far more confident in my ability to just throw the guy or give him some other simple knockdown combo that does solid damage and get back on the defensive.  I'm sure it means I'll never be elevating my game past its current "serviceable" level, but I just can't do long combo strings. "
    And why would you want to either, it would be fun and interesting and really cool to be able to do that and destroy a few people but then you find out that person doesn't fancy playing much with you anymore. SF (to me at least) has always been about having fun with friends. When you start getting all snot-nosed about it all then you alienate the friends you play the game with and then what's even the point.

At this point I only really want to be able to do the crazy combos so I can unlock those stupid achievements in challenge mode.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jakob187

I will say one thing though, loltima:  the general tone that you are using is all wrong for a "tutorial" and "learning" vibe.  Very hostile, man.  Just because you don't like the OTHER side of thought as much as you like yours, that doesn't mean you should flat-out say "well, you just aren't smart" and generally talk down to people who are playing a game because, well, they just like to play it.  Not everyone wants to be pro.  Some just want to have fun.  If you are making the videos as a general way to say "look what I can do, I'm better than you, fuck off"...then it seems you are going on the right track...which sucks.  Hopefully, you'll be using this video series as something more constructive for those that want to watch it.

With that said, I'm looking forward to Theory Fighter.  Been waiting for it to kick up.
    RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By RipTheVeins

There's nothing wrong with using combos at all, as long as you don't rely on them to win you the matches.  Instead you have to be good at knowing the timing of most or all of a certain char.'s who you prefer using to be able to overcome another person's offense, and if some of those situations lead to a combo you have in mind then, by all means, don't hold back.  However by relying on a certain combo you've practiced over and over to win your matches for you, then as soon as your opponent finds out your strategy you're essentially useless for the rest of that fight.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lordofultima

This blog is a rant because of all the hostile remarks I've gotten about combos in the first place. The fact that EightBitWarrior is even taking hostility to this is a little odd, because I said he had fair points to begin with and the blog wasn't intended to signal to him.

Thanks for all the comments, all I'm saying is that combos are important. I apologize to any I've genuinely offended, I should rephrase that I'm referring to people that have the potential to do combos but at every opportunity choose not to do so. My videos are with the intention of getting better at street fighter. I'm actually pretty average at the game hence why I'm trying to get better.

As for EightBit's comment, hit-confirming is very real. I'd like you to give me an example where I do tons of hits unnecessary to a combo. Akuma's combos generally end in one of 3 ways or so, so the "long-winded" nature of his combos are in all of them -- regardless of hit-confirming. The only difference is the 3-4 hits in the beginning of one as opposed to the 1-2. I've never done a 15-hit combo legit without a stun or demon. Mike you're a good friend of mine so it is sort of a bummer that you feel this post was directed towards you.

And furthermore, I don't see what's wrong with wanting to have a good time doing combos. Even if they were completely superfluous I'd still probably do them because they're damn fun. You guys think it's fun playing casually, and this is my fun. No one thinks they're a pro here, I'm saying that I've watched a lot of major tournaments in the country for SFIV. Not SFII.

EightBitWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By EightBitWarrior

I only took a bit of offense because your post had a very offensive tone. You were all "LOOK, this is how it is. End of story!"... like there was absolutely no opinion possible, which isn't cool.

And I'd say for the most part, the end of almost all of your combos are a lot of work for little result. Doing a bunch of extra hits and cancelling into a red fireball.....all for the price of almost unnoticeable damage just seems silly to me. I mean if it wasn't for the life bar doing that weird pulse thing when you land a hit, I probably wouldn't even know damage was being dealt. I've sat there a couple of times staring at the life bar at the end of these combos, and was blown away how useless they were. Seems the effort could be used elsewhere for greater result?

Also, no I don't feel this was directed towards me, but I have a strong opinion on it I guess. Did I reply more angry than was needed? Yeah, sure. I get hot blooded when I debate. Get's me in trouble. I always have to delete many, many lines that are just uncalled for when I write replies. See, I'm getting better! Fuck you. (LOL just kidding)

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By End_Boss

I've gotta' say, loltima (and this probably won't matter to you because I'm a bit player when it comes to Giant Bomb), I'm feeling the hostility that others have mentioned. You say that the reason you are so aggressive in your post is that you've received hostility from others in the past regarding your opinions on combos--wouldn't it make more sense to calmly, rationally explain why they are valuable tools as opposed to the angry, erudite fashion in which you presented your points? I think I would find it a lot easier to swallow the information you're presenting me with if I didn't feel like you were looking down your nose at me the whole time.

As a disclaimer, I'll just say that I'm an extremely mediocre SFIV player (just made it to G2 in Championship mode and am getting my ass kicked left and right) who mains Abel of all people and relies heavily on his "Change of Direction" move to win matches, since Abel's combos (at least to me) are fucking hard. I myself used to play Akuma and had some basic combos down, but moved on to Abel as I find him a generally more interesting character with a more challenging play-style (again, my opinion only).

To close this out, I think I would find your videos (and I assume the upcoming Theory Fighter series) more interesting if you varied your character selection a little. I understand you main Akuma and that that brings a lot of love for him, but I find it ends up looking less like how to play SFIV and more like how to play Akuma specifically. That being said, I will definitely give Theory Fighter a chance.

There you have it. End Boss's two cents.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By lordofultima
    @End_Boss: Theory fighter will feature the anatomy of a combo, this is general information that can be helpful for any character. Even some footage will be with other characters to illustrate some points! But still, most combo footage will be Akuma, but strangely enough displaying combos isn't the point of this Theory Fighter.

As for playing other characters in general, I play Balrog, Fuerte, Ken, and sometimes Vega for lulz. Not for capturing, since I believe bad matches make a bad watching. The videos are more for me to analyze my own play (my Akuma play specifically), learn from my mistakes and learn about my opponent (for future matches with them).
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lordofultima
    @EightBitWarrior: Agree to disagree. Speaking of Yun, he did juggles for fucking days. And while the latter hits do tiny damage he still continues to juggle just for that small sliver of damage. If I do a bunch of hits I will still end in Akuma's signature LK Tatsu, HP/LP SRK fashion -- just because it's guaranteed at that point, is mad easy to do, and will take that sliver of health.

Some of my FADC's are wreckless and online I feel there's no point to manage meter, a lot of the times I DO get more hits in my combos just to practice my timing. It's all in the larger scheme of things.
    yagami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By yagami

Bah, I like this. ^^
    You guys shouldn't be so freaking close-minded about things.

Good job Ultima!

c0ncubine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#21  Edited By c0ncubine

Combo's help, but if you don't combo every single offensive attempt that is perfectly fine, damage scaling elimates then need of a combo over 6-8 hits anyways.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lordofultima
    @c0ncubine: No one is denying that fact, I generally always land 5-8 hit combos. If it goes longer than that isn't a detriment though, the damage increase may be silly and tiny, but it's still a damage increase nonetheless.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jakob187

Look, loltima.  All I know is that I've started working on my Rufus.  So, give me a couple of weeks for training, and we'll meet back up for some matches!!!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By mike

The number of combos I use is inversely proportional to my winning percentage. I'm terrible at combos, maybe it's me, maybe it's the controller, so I concentrate on mind games and timing to win. Plus c.MK.

c0ncubine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By c0ncubine
    @lordofultima said:
    " @c0ncubine: No one is denying that fact, I generally always land 5-8 hit combos. If it goes longer than that isn't a detriment though, the damage increase may be silly and tiny, but it's still a damage increase nonetheless. "
    A tiny damage increase is always well and good, but anybody with a brain will counter and punish you if that's what you constantly try and do. I play a lot more like MB, I'm not amazing at combo's but I can do the basic ones with Akuma but more often that not my win % comes from mind games and timing. I'm not an overly aggressive player like some of the pro's, but I don't strait up turtle and/or run away constantly. I'm not good enough at the game to play so aggressively like that first of all, and I really haven' t thought about learning to play like that, due to me playing with a controller.
    SpecialBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SpecialBuddy
    @MB said:
    "The number of combos I use is inversely proportional to my winning percentage. I'm terrible at combos, maybe it's me, maybe it's the controller, so I concentrate on mind games and timing to win. Plus c.MK."

Damn that c.MK. Its so good!
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By lordofultima
    @c0ncubine: No one can counter and punish hits that are guaranteed. Simple as that. The signature Akuma combo ends with LK Tatsu, HP Shoryuken (or) LP Shoryuken FADC Red Fireball. There's NOTHING the opponent can do at that point, so those are the final hits I'm talking about.
    Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Flushes

I know I'm kind of bringing this discussion back from the dead, but after reading this conversation, it is clear that ultima has a far, far more informed opinion about this topic than all of you combined. If you dismiss hitconfirming jab/short strings or deny that they're crucial in making a medicore player into an intermediate or excellent player, then you are wrong. I like to quote Combofiend whenever this conversation is brought up; he said something along the lines of no matter how good a player is, a perfectly executed combo forced upon his tiny error will completely unfurl him. If your opponent knows that every time they make a mistake that you're landing a safely-confirmed, damaging combo on them, their entire mindset and gameplan will change. Landing a combo is about more than maximizing damage.

The first post after ultima in this thread sounds like a bad SRK troll.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By lordofultima
    @Flushes: Weird to see this back at the top of the threads, but hey at least someone finally sided with me here after all this time! Good shit, man. Wise words from Combofiend, too.
    Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#30  Edited By Atlas

I've learnt that when I properly learn how to use combos in fighting games, I come to rely on them too much and use them repeatedly, which means I fall into some really obvious traps and make mistakes. I always try and make sure I'm mixing up my game to get the best results. But yes, combos are probably the most useful thing to learn in Street Fighter, in the same way you need to learn the juggles in Virtua Fighter.

Oh how I wish I was better at Street Fighter...

Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Flushes
    @Atlas said:
    " I've learnt that when I properly learn how to use combos in fighting games, I come to rely on them too much and use them repeatedly, which means I fall into some really obvious traps and make mistakes. I always try and make sure I'm mixing up my game to get the best results. But yes, combos are probably the most useful thing to learn in Street Fighter, in the same way you need to learn the juggles in Virtua Fighter.Oh how I wish I was better at Street Fighter... "
    The most useful things to learn in Street Fighter 4 are zoning, defense, and footsies. Learn how to space your opponent and shut down their offense to limit their options. Once you've got it in their head that you know the exact distances that your and their moves are effective, attack when they begin to hesitate. Once you've got that stuff down, then you can start learning that bananas Akuma reset string.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

MK Brutalities, now that was a mans combo.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.