Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Did i make a mistake buying this with no stick/pad?

NukeGoBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NukeGoBoom

So im betting you people are hardcore tourney people or nostalgia filled players.Nothing personal of course.
    I first could not get into the hype of the game.But then after it starts getting old a bought it in a late to the party fashion.And im thinking i made a mistake.
    Maybe im playing wrong but im just unable to play well with just a PS3 d-pad.I tried going the generic Ken/Ryu/Dan(Sorta) character but it didnt work, my thumb even hurt from too much quorter circles.And started finding a character that plays well.
    My best luck was with Bison becouse hes just a charger and he sorta works minus the ultra/super which is almost impossible to pull out in a good time,Abel sorta works but his Tornado Throw is too hard to pull off in a usefull time either.I also tried Zangief becouse of some Russian pride i had and failed horribly.
    But im losing constantly.Even against people who sit in a corner throwing firebawls.
    So after explaining my sucky bitchy experience what do you think? Was it a mistake getting it without a stick? Did all the reviews took it as a standart for people to have a stick?Is it playable with just a Dualshock D-Pad ( if so explain.)?

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By CL60

It's fine with a regular controller. Just practice more.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    At least you dont have to use a 360 Dpad.
    SirSynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SirSynapse

well, buying a stick does make a huge difference but it's definitely possible to play the game using just a controller. I usually revert back to a controller whenever someone comes over to my place and I find the experience Ive gained on a fightstick carries over. I mainly use analog, not dpad (never got the hang of it).

Slunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Slunks

Use the analog sticks if you're having that much trouble with the D-pad. I have a friend who insists the PS3 controller's D-pad works great, but I honestly cannot wrap my head around it -- the pad is too deep into the controller, and it's nearly impossible to do a back/forward/back. On the other side, the 360 d-pad feels great to play with because it sticks out of the controller; however, the actual execution is usually pretty terrible because of the high sensitivity.

Simply put, analog is the best way to go for a regular controller.

Jake_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Jake_K

Keep in mind I use the joystick on 360 controller, so I don't know how the PS3 D-Pad works, but I assume it's around the same (maybe better?) What it comes down to is it depends on the level of play you are looking at. If you just want to play some matches online and with friends fairly casually you can get by with a controller just fine. It sounds like you are having trouble pulling off moves, and to put it simply... you can do that fine with a controller. Only things I have trouble with on a controller is kara throwing with Ken, and FADC as fast as you need to on Ken's hard trial #4. (which is much faster than you ever actually need to in game...)

You just need to train your hands to be as fast and as accurate as your mind. So.... in a nutshell; practice, practice, practice.

Also, the trials aren't very good for practicing in my opinion, because you do it once and it's over, so it could easily be a fluke. Go into training mode and do the same move until you can do it 10 times in a row or something.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Lashe

In all honesty after a couple of days of playing with the 360 analog stick I feel I am pretty damn adept with the 360 controller in both HD Remix and SFIV. Persistence, determination and down-right tightfistedness are all virtues, and don't forget it!

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By AndrewJD
    No...........................................No

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#9  Edited By gla55jAw

I never used a stick before so I'm still better with my regular 360 controller than my TE stick, although it is fun to play with the stick, I'm not used to it yet so I mostly play with the controller.

Reale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Reale

you can get by with a pad and enjoy it, the thumb thing is natural, you have to break in both the pad and your thumb, i played alot of street fighter vs snk 2 at uni and it ruined my thumb! and i mean ruined it... SFIV has done the same, after reciveing it on release i spent the hole day playing it! then had to have a week to let my thumb calus to go down :| and even now it hurts after long play but with time it will become a hardend warrior lol.

you answered your own question though and i feel your only asking the question because you feel bad that you have bought something you dont like, just trade it in if it aint your thing!

slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By slinky6

I know it's not good to blame controllers or whatever but I'm getting to the point where I'm almost sure my pad is screwing me over.   Like I'm following a strategy that's working then I jump when I don't mean to and bam get hit by some nasty combo.   If you get a high quality stick it lets you pretty much rule out the controller as a problem.

Avatar image for adamantiumfiend
    adamantiumfiend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By adamantiumfiend

i'd agree with those who suggest practice...with time i'm sure you could get used to it.  i personally prefer the fightpad (but at the same time am a huge street fighter fan and don't mind spending 40 bucks on a dedicated controller)

Avatar image for vitaminwateryum
    VitaminWaterYum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By VitaminWaterYum

Unless you're either A) a hardcore Street Fighter fan, or B) plan on playing a lot more fighting games, I'd suggest just getting better with a controller until you're sure of whether or not you really like the game.

NukeGoBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NukeGoBoom

If anybody wants to help me/kick my ass/get surprised i kicked your ass add me ...
    PSN: NukeGoBoom...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.