Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released May 23, 2010

The first Mario sequel in over 15 years to appear on the same console as its predecessor, Mario is back in the galactic platforming game, joined by Yoshi as he explores additional planets with new mechanics, power-ups, and boss battles.

Miyamoto - No Rivals to Galaxy 2

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

No Caption Provided
    Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto has been speaking about Super Mario Galaxy 2 with UK games magazine Games TM. The full interview is now here

I have never approached development in terms of competing with any other existing or future game software from other companies at all. Our own goal is to try to make some unique games that cannot be compared with anything else on the marketplace, so I think that because there are no rivals to Mario Galaxy 2, we really needed to make a game that people consider to be very new.  

- Shigeru Miyamoto
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By ryanwho

He's not wrong. Nobody else makes comparable platformers. Its not even close. I'm sure someone will find a way to misinterpret what he said though.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By MysteriousBob

Hey Miyamoto- a direct sequel that keeps almost the exact same gameplay can only be so "new".

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By emkeighcameron

There is ALWAYS a rival. Assuming that your product will have no rivals is just stupid. This sounds like simple posturing, he can't honestly believe that behind closed doors.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @MysteriousBob said:
    " Hey Miyamoto- a direct sequel that keeps almost the exact same gameplay can only be so "new". "
    You don't appear to know much about either games.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ryanwho
    @emkeighcameron said:

" There is ALWAYS a rival. Assuming that your product will have no rivals is just stupid. This sounds like simple posturing, he can't honestly believe that behind closed doors. "

Name one comparable platformer. One. The closest thing is the next Prince of Persia game, and that's not even close. Not even in the same hemisphere.
    MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " @MysteriousBob said:
    " Hey Miyamoto- a direct sequel that keeps almost the exact same gameplay can only be so "new". "
    You don't appear to know much about either games. "
    You're right- I've never liked Nintendo.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ryanwho
    @MysteriousBob said:

" @Linkyshinks said:

" @MysteriousBob said:
    You don't appear to know much about either games. "
    You're right- I've never liked Nintendo. "
    You wrote a blog about Pokemon. So. 
    So I guess you're just trolling. Babble on.
    emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By emkeighcameron
    @ryanwho said:
    " @emkeighcameron said:

" There is ALWAYS a rival. Assuming that your product will have no rivals is just stupid. This sounds like simple posturing, he can't honestly believe that behind closed doors. "

Name one comparable platformer. One. The closest thing is the next Prince of Persia game, and that's not even close. Not even in the same hemisphere. "
    I don't know enough about platformers to give one (Rayman 2, I guess? best platformer ever, duh). But I know that believing "we have no rivals" is retarded.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ryanwho

Yes Im sure Galaxy 2 and Rayman 2 will be competing for sales. You definitely know what the word rival means.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Linkyshinks

The original Galaxy despite being a innovative masterpiece was criticized by Miyamoto himself, he admitted openly that he stemmed a large amount of creativity that went into it, mainly because he feared gamers would suffer motion sickness and might be bewildered by complex gameplay mechanics found in levels that were sent to him (remote in-house testing) by the Tokyo team making the game. He "upended the tea table" with the original, but promised early that Galaxy 2 will include the gameplay models that were cut. while also adding a large number of new ones. 

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By emkeighcameron
    @ryanwho said:
    " Yes Im sure Galaxy 2 and Rayman 2 will be competing for sales. You definitely know what the word rival means. "
    what I can't understand you
    Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

He's right

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By oldschool
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " The original Galaxy despite being a innovative masterpiece was criticized by Miyamoto himself, he admitted openly that he stemmed a large amount of creativity that went into it, mainly because he feared gamers would suffer motion sickness and might be bewildered by complex gameplay mechanics found in levels that were sent to him (remote in-house testing) by the Tokyo team making the game. He "upended the tea table" with the original, but promised early that Galaxy 2 will include the gameplay models that were cut. while also adding a large number of new ones.  "
    Well, it certainly made me sick.  Probably why I never got close to finishing it.  Still - I am up for 2 and can't wait.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Willy105

That's not true!

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 is coming out!

OK, maybe he is right.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ryanwho
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " The original Galaxy despite being a innovative masterpiece was criticized by Miyamoto himself, he admitted openly that he stemmed a large amount of creativity that went into it, mainly because he feared gamers would suffer motion sickness and might be bewildered by complex gameplay mechanics found in levels that were sent to him (remote in-house testing) by the Tokyo team making the game. He "upended the tea table" with the original, but promised early that Galaxy 2 will include the gameplay models that were cut. while also adding a large number of new ones.  "
    The idea that Galaxy 2 could be pulled off of shelves for making people sick or end up with some kind of surgeon general's warning just takes it to a whole new level.
    drwrong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By drwrong

Mario will beat Sonic because that games is going a different route.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By ArchScabby

A guy is hyping his own game stop freaking out.  He's not gonna say, "Oh, my game is sooo generic, why would anyone want to play such a piece of garbage?"  The developer with the worst game in the world would say the exact same thing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.