Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released May 23, 2010

The first Mario sequel in over 15 years to appear on the same console as its predecessor, Mario is back in the galactic platforming game, joined by Yoshi as he explores additional planets with new mechanics, power-ups, and boss battles.

Why did Nintendo bother putting Galaxy 2 on the Wii U store?

Kerafyrm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It isn't upscaled to 1080p and you need a WiiMote...

I bought it thinking it was now a Wii U game, but NOPE!

All I saw was how it doesn't require to go into Wii mode and how it could be controlled with the Wii U pad, but that was a lie as you need the WiiMote.

Again Nintendo let me down and tbh this is the straw, never again will I invest in their bullshit products. Sadly their great games are let down by their shoddy hardware and service.

dotpatrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

They made it pretty clear during the Direct that it is just a Wii rom. They also very clearly stated that only games that supported to the use of the Classic Controller could be played on the Game Pad.

If you didn't pay attention or read the description on the eShop then that is on you.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@kerafyrm said:

All I saw was how it doesn't require to go into Wii mode and how it could be controlled with the Wii U pad, but that was a lie as you need the WiiMote.

Again Nintendo let me down and tbh this is the straw, never again will I invest in their bullshit products. Sadly their great games are let down by their shoddy hardware and service.

That's all your fault, duder. But creating a thread isn't really going to solve your problem. Short answer to your question: to make money. But all over the place today, there's loads of news and info about that this isn't uprezzed. Did you really think you'd get a remastered, Gamepad configured copy of SMG2 for just $10?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Welp, this one is on you and your inattention to detail, OP.

These aren't MGS HD remakes that cost full retail price. They're $10-$20 downloadable games with minimal work done to them other than making sure they properly run on the Wii U. They're not getting any significant graphical improvements. They're using the original control scheme, and since many Wii games used the pointer in a significant way (often more significantly than motion controls), there would be no way to play the game on the Gamepad since it has no IR sensor to act as a pointer. They'd have to do a bunch of extra programming work to substitute an analog stick as the pointer or something, and this is clearly not the sort of project where Nintendo is interested in monkeying around with the game code.

The information's been out there from the start, you just wildly made up expectations even though it's only a $10-$20 basic rerelease, and now you're mad that your completely arbitrary expectations weren't met.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Marz

there are some people who probably don't have a wii and they have a wii u and want to buy it digital, so why not?

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This seems right up my alley having never played smg2, plus $10 seems like a steal. Alas im drowning in games atm and really need to play what ive got.

discomposure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read that they're working on putting loads of wii games on the WiiU store, including the Metroid Prime Trilogy, Mario galaxy games and Donkey Kong Country for like £18 each (half that in the week they release).
    I think it's a very good thing, I really can't see a problem with it at all. If you already have the game, then don't buy it but not everyone does. They aren't being marketed or priced as full remakes and Wii motes can be bought dead cheap now, I've seen plenty selling at around £5 so that's not really a problem either. Most of the games support the pro controller anyway afaik

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Rafaelfc

I don't get people absolute hate for the Wii remote, I just started using it last year (never had a Wii before), but I really like how it works, specially when coupled with a nunchuck.

Short answer for OPs question:

more ways to buy a game >>>>>>>>> less ways to buy a game.

discomposure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rafaelfc: I agree I also quite like the wii mote, my only slight problem I find with it is it can start getting a bit uncomfortable if you're using it for more than a couple hours without a break. Heck I've been playing Smash Bros WiiU loads with a Wii mote recently without a problem.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
    GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: yeah but that price! If you haven't played it, I suggest throwing it on your pile of shame and getting to it when you can.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because people like you and me are stupid enough to buy it on impulse before realizing we have to dig out our Wii remotes just to play the damn thing. I don't even have a Wii remote anymore, after giving mine to my nephews. I literally do not have the ability to play the game I just bought. But Nintendo has my $10.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didnt know it was a requirement to update every classic game that shows up in a digital store.

DrM2theJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SMG2 for $10 natively running on my Wii U?

You need to ask why I need this?

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get mad when things I buy do exactly what they are advertised to do, also.

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cerberus3dog

All they said was SMG2 didn't need to be booted from Wii mode. They said nothing about up-scaling it or making it work for Wii U controllers in the Direct this morning. Perhaps they mention controller compatibility on the store page, idk. Either way, you just made assumptions.

Hopefully ranting a little helped you calm down a bit. Sucks that you bought a product and it didn't meet your assumed expectations.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Wolfgame

@bisonhero: @mbradley1992: @erinisadrunk: Sometimes you screw up and just want someone to say "damn dude, that sucks" , seems like I come into every thread these days and multiple people are already just piling on. It's a detail that could have been missed and apparently was by the OP, that doesn't mean he won't be more careful in future, but I can still empathize with the situation.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry to say duder but this one is on you. They made it pretty clear the games were just being booted automatically through the Wii mode, without having to do it manually. Also, they said the Gamepad could only be used as a controller for games that supported the classic controller. A quick Google search would have shown you that Mario Galaxy 2 was not one of those games.

With that being said, I played about 10 minutes of the game and it doesn't really look that bad to me, even in shitty 480p. I really don't get why you have to use the Wiimote, since everything could have just as easily been mapped to buttons... Oh well. At least the amount of motion needed is pretty minimal.

dotpatrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@wolfgame:

For sure but I take exception to someone coming and blaming Nintendo by claiming that they had lied and deceived him when they did no such thing. It is fair game to point out to him that he misunderstood or missed what was said when he is blaming the company for his mistake.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its to tease Brad to finally finish a SMG game. Also, this is like complaining Sony/Atlus for putting Persona 3: FES as a PS2 classic on PS3 which i bought cause i haven't played it before.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kerafyrm said:

And it's your fault for buying it thinking that. They were very clear in the Nintendo Direct.

And their great games run perfect on their hardware, not let down. Don't invest in their "bullshit" products anymore for sure, especially since you can't pay attention to the information they give you.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfgame: Except they didn't start a thread to get empathy. They started a thread asking why Nintendo released this game and trying to make it out like Nintendo screwed them over. If the guy just said he made a mistake, then that's fine. But the blame shouldn't rest on Nintendo's shoulders for this.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@rafaelfc said:

I don't get people absolute hate for the Wii remote, I just started using it last year (never had a Wii before), but I really like how it works, specially when coupled with a nunchuck.

Hmmm....

@rafaelfc: I agree I also quite like the wii mote, my only slight problem I find with it is it can start getting a bit uncomfortable if you're using it for more than a couple hours without a break.

Yep that's why. Plus some games just don't need this uncomfortable controller separation. Xenoblade Chronicles with nunchuk and Wiimote is unnecessary. Resident Evil Archives I solely use a Wiimote and its terrible, even worse with the nunchuk too.

But it does suit some games mind you.

On topic: No sympathy OP, sorry. Not just because of your situation but also because of your negative venting thread.

Beyond_Recall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did enjoy some of what the wiimote brought to the table, but i would have liked it if there was a way of attaching the wiimote and nunchuk parts together to form a more standard controller. Best of both worlds, but i guess that's for bizzaro world ninty.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's too bad because the only thing in those games that "need" a wiimote are the pseudo-Super Monkey Ball levels anyway(which don't need it really.) It's a strange move after what they did with The Wind Waker, but oh well have your roms.

Kerafyrm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Kerafyrm

It said you could use your Wii U Pad...

Why the fuck would I want 480p on a 1080p LCD TV? It looks terrible, upscale it, that requires no effort.

schnoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rkofan87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This seems right up my alley having never played smg2, plus $10 seems like a steal. Alas im drowning in games atm and really need to play what ive got.

just get it now and play it later.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rafaelfc said:

Hmmm....

@discomposure said:

@rafaelfc: I agree I also quite like the wii mote, my only slight problem I find with it is it can start getting a bit uncomfortable if you're using it for more than a couple hours without a break.

Yep that's why. Plus some games just don't need this uncomfortable controller separation. Xenoblade Chronicles with nunchuk and Wiimote is unnecessary. Resident Evil Archives I solely use a Wiimote and its terrible, even worse with the nunchuk too.

But it does suit some games mind you.

On topic: No sympathy OP, sorry. Not just because of your situation but also because of your negative venting thread.

I played Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, Twilight Princess, Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Super Mario 3D World and Super Smash Bros. all with the Wii remote and Nunchuck on my Wii U and really had no issues whatsoever with it.

I'm not saying it is great for EVERY game, absolutely not. But people dismissing playing a great game simply because of the Wii Remote is kinda crazy to me.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kerafyrm said:

It said you could use your Wii U Pad...

Why the fuck would I want 480p on a 1080p LCD TV? It looks terrible, upscale it, that requires no effort.

Of course it requires effort. The Wii U has the guts of the original Wii inside it. This isn't a port and they aren't emulating the game, it is running natively on Wii hardware just as if you were playing it on an original Wii. To add any sort of new control options or up scaled visuals they would have to actually port it to Wii U, which would be significantly more work than just offering a digital download version of the original game.

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@schnoo said:

That information about the controller was mentioned in the Direct is an exceptionally weak argument. It should be clear from the store page what you are buying and I don't think it is.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/pvqEpTCeo0N6UW0Da3T1f1c2vzWP7iCd

Truly they should add a list of compatible controllers on that page. On the eShop every game has a list of compatible controllers, which every Wii U user should've learned to study closely because of Nintendo's crazy controller situation.

To answer the OPs question: I'm interested in buying any great Wii games that I never played because I didn't own that console. And the idea of getting the Metroid Prime trilogy makes me extremely goddamned happy.

I don't expect a game that isn't specifically marketed as a remaster to be a remaster; it they'd done any work upressing the graphics or added control possibilities, they sure as shit would've said so front and center.

Pudge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I for one would have paid $30 for a version of the game that worked with a controller instead of the shitty Wiimote. Guess I'll just stick to Dolphin instead.

discomposure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rebel_scum: Eh don't get me wrong, I do see that as an issue but I guess because it happened so rarely to me I wasn't really bothered. I had no problem at all with the nunchuck being seperate, quite liked that actually it was just holding the wii remote vertically for more than a couple hours sometimes made my hand start to ache a bit - even then a 5 minute break was all that was needed personally. I honestly don't think it was designed for really long play sessions. I get why people would prefer not to use it if the game doesn't need it, but to hate it / outright refuse to play anything on it just seems silly imo.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#34  Edited By Atwa

Why does Sony put old games on PSN?

Its a way to get game that are out of print/low in stock, in a convenient manner. Everyone does it, and its your own fault for not reading properly.

I also find the complaints about wii mote in galaxy of all games funny, its like the least intrusive wii-mote usage ever.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

It is your fault, OP, but I do sympathize with you. No doubt it sucked to find out you couldn't play the game right away. At least Wiimotes are cheap and easy to find.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BisonHero

@ll_exile_ll: It's really disappointing that so few people understand that the reason the Wii U runs Wii games is that it literally has a miniaturized Wii that runs the games in exactly the same way they ran on the Wii. I believe this is the same principle that led to backwards compatibility in basically every instance where the system will directly read the discs/carts from an older system. The MGS collections are different in that I believe they're basically porting the entire game to work on PS3 hardware, and having to fiddle with a bunch of code to make sure the port loads all of the assets and runs all of the code properly despite all the differences between PS2 hardware and PS3 hardware.

I feel like almost no one realizes that software emulation is actually hugely taxing on hardware which is why Nintendo always releases NES Virtual Console games first (and most frequently), because they're so simple that they're almost trivial to emulate for any modern computing device.

If future consoles continue to be built on consistent x86 architecture then going forward this may be less of an issue, but up until this point, each console/handheld generation was working from such a different framework that it's actually really admirable how many companies put in the effort to have backwards compatibility. I feel like this thread is a great example of how many gamers just completely take HD remakes and upscaling and emulation for granted as if it's all as trivial as emulating NES games.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@kerafyrm: Is this a joke? It's their responsibility to warn you that it's just an emulated version and/or port, but it's YOURS to read the info. Come on, step your game up.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kerafyrm said:

It looks terrible, upscale it, that requires no effort.

Learn how technology works. That's like saying you want to buy a 2014 Ford Mustang body and drop a F150 engine in it because it "requires no effort".

Actually, that'd be pretty rad. But that's not the point. The point is, you aren't just gonna be able to drop that big guy in the Mustang and call it a day.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Upscaling" isn't a one button effort. People watch Dolphin videos and think its so simple. Do you understand in order to run Galaxy smooth on Dolphin upscaled you need a pretty fucking good rig? People half versed in technology acting like this is some easy thing to do. If all Nintendo did was upscale it with zero optimization, you're playing a game with single digit FPS. Like, do a modicum of research before mouthing off, honestly.

CollegeGuyMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I didn't play SMG2 on my Wii, and haven't felt like paying $30 for a physical copy! Sure it doesn't look amazing on a huge TV but it's still a great Mario game.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry you got tricked into buying the best game of 2010 for $10 and you're disappointed because you didn't read what you were buying.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is a bit dumb, I've never had to play any of the rereleases of other older games with their original controller only.

Shame they didn't just put it in the Wii shop to avoid confusion.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BisonHero

@ottoman673 said:

It is a bit dumb, I've never had to play any of the rereleases of other older games with their original controller only.

In all fairness:

• Xbox -> Xbox 360 -> Xbox One, the controller barely changed, aside from the removal of the black and white buttons. So using the new controller isn't an issue.
    • PS1 -> PS2 -> PS3 -> PS4, c'mon dawg, that is basically the same fucking controller. The analog sticks got added really early in the PS1 lifecycle, and since then, all they've really added is the Sixaxis motion sensor thing, and replaced Start and Select with a dumb touch pad. So using the new controller isn't an issue.
    • Wii -> Wii U, the controllers are so different. The Wii U basically has an extra shoulder button and one more face button, but the Wii U gamepad doesn't have the IR sensor/pointer that the Wii remote has, and a LOT of games used that pointer ability (I believe the Wii U gamepad does have some kind of gyro/accelerometer in it?). It's not nearly as easy to just 1:1 map Wii controls to the Wii U gamepad so it doesn't seem like a sensible complaint to say "Well I never had to use the original controllers on the other systems", because the other systems haven't changed their controller in like a decade.
    mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Half of the appeal was releasing it for Wii U owners (not Wii owners) and making it a menu choice that didn't require booting up that slow Wii channel. What you're suggesting isn't even remotely what they wanted to accomplish here. Also, you realize that the game is twice the size of the built in Wii storage space, right?

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I just want to play the entire nes/snes/n64/gc library on that thing. Come on Nintendo, make Nintendoflix

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

So that wii games can be conveniently bought and downloaded on the WiiU at a reasonable price. It's the same on other consoles. The PS3 sells PS2 games and such.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.