Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

Japanese wiki site's SSF4 tier list

• 67 results
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Jeffsekai
    A+
    Rufus, Abel, Sagat, Guile

A

Dhalsim, M. Bison (Dictator), Ryu, Ken, Balrog (Boxer), Chun-Li, Ibuki, E. Honda, Akuma

B+

Dee Jay, T. Hawk, C. Viper, Zangief, Dudley, Seth, Rose

B

El Fuerte, Adon, Vega (Claw), Blanka, Cammy, Cody, Juri, Gouken

C+

Hakan, Guy, Fei Long, Gen, Makoto, Sakura

C

Dan  

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2010/may/15/very-early-super-street-fighter-4-tier-list-speculation/ 

Honestly I don''t know why I am posting this, no name is given as to who made this list...oh well. 

I think its good to see Blanka in B (average) weird that Ken is in A with Ryu tho. 
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By dbz1995

For me, this looks a bit more right than the iplaywinner one.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

Dayum, Guy's still pretty close to the bottom, though. =(

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jeffsekai

I bet Abel is ranked as high as he is because of his U2. That thing is crazy.

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By renmckormack
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " I bet Abel is ranked as high as he is because of his U2. That thing is crazy. "
    I am going to guess the same with El Fuerte whose Ultra 2 apparently hits from anywhere? And does approx one million damage
    Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By lilbigsupermario
    @Jeffsekai said:

" I bet Abel is ranked as high as he is because of his U2. That thing is crazy. "

I really hate fighting against Abel's Breathless ultra, I always get caught by it... :(
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By lordofultima

This looks pretty spot on, I like the clarification that even the lowest tier is C, showing you how viable every character is.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By meteora

There seems to be quite a bit of characters in A status. 

Can anyone also explain to me what the hell do tiers ever mean?

Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Plasma
    @Meteora said:

" There seems to be quite a bit of characters in A status.  Can anyone also explain to me what the hell do tiers ever mean? "

Pretty obvious, it shows which characters are best.  

Its based of each character vs. every other character, so 38 different scores, and characters that have lots of good matchups are high, while characters with bad matchups get put in lower tiers. The scores are done by if each character was played to the best of its capability, who would win in 10 matches. So an even matchup would be 5 - 5. 
    Tuggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Tuggah

does A+ mean easier?

copycatzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By copycatzen

So what changed from SF4 that now Guile is A+ ? 

Is it the sonic boom charge? the new ultra? or what? 

I think it's the ultra.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lordofultima
    @Tuggah said:

" does A+ mean easier? "

No, it means the best. 

@copycatzen

said:

" So what changed from SF4 that now Guile is A+ ?  Is it the sonic boom charge? the new ultra? or what?  I think it's the ultra. "

No, it's SSFIV's increased dependency on normal attacks, and the nerfing of special moves in general. Guile has amazing normals and already a great keep out and corner game, so it's natural that he shines a lot more in this version of SFIV than the last.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Stang

Ken and Honda do not belong in A tier, that is for sure. Besides that, it looks a hell of a lot better then the first tier list.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By napalm
    @copycatzen said:

" So what changed from SF4 that now Guile is A+ ?  Is it the sonic boom charge? the new ultra? or what?  I think it's the ultra. "

Pretty much everything. Reduced Sonic Boom charges means you can apply pressure more quickly and get them in the corner, and it's near impossible to jump in or attack in front of Guile once he has U2 stocked as even if you hit him first, you'll still eat the full damage. 

I figured Guile would be better, but I didn't think A+. Once somebody puts out an official list and if he's still seen as A+, all of the scrubby little shits will jump on the Daigo nut-hugging train and start maining Guile. Not that this hasn't happened already. I've already put my share fair of Guile players to rest so far, and I've only been beaten by two. I assume this number is going to go up.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lordofultima
    @Stang said:
    " Ken and Honda do not belong in A tier, that is for sure. Besides that, it looks a hell of a lot better then the first tier list. "
    We don't really know the potential of Ken yet, but I'd say Honda DEFINITELY belongs in A tier. He was already a beast.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Stang
    @lordofultima: You really think so? I don't know, Honda has such a tough time against plasma spammers. But ya, when he gets in shit gets real. 

I stand by my Ken placement though. He is as good as Akuma or Ryu? What? Damage output is relatively bad, fireball still is the worst etc etc. Cowboy Ken is fucking amazing, but not A tier amazing.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By lordofultima
    @Stang said:
    " @lordofultima: You really think so? I don't know, Honda has such a tough time against plasma spammers. But ya, when he gets in shit gets real.   I stand by my Ken placement though. He is as good as Akuma or Ryu? What? Damage output is relatively bad, fireball still is the worst etc etc. Cowboy Ken is fucking amazing, but not A tier amazing.   "
    I think Ken is as good as Akuma pretty much, maybe not Ryu but we can't all be godlike. I think those distinctions only need to be made between characters when two players of the highest skill meet in battle, otherwise tiers are moot. Obviously Akuma was/is fantastic in SFIV, but those tier match-ups were all based on the highest skill Japanese players, so it didn't stop me from having horrible match-ups.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Stang
    @lordofultima: Me vs you = highest skill level meeting in battle. REAL TALK.

Akuma is god like....in the right hands. Unfortunately, those hands are not mine. Getting my ass raped with him makes me respect good Akuma's a bit more, things are not as "free" as I thought they were a few months ago. Really fun character to learn, but the learning curve is absolutely brutal. I will paypal you $16.33 if you teach me.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Yummylee

I guess Guy might be down to C because of his pretty lame Ultimates. Least that's all I could pick at, when I think of Guy's faults.

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By gosukiller

Dan is in a league of his own :)

Sh4ft3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Sh4ft3d

What tier do you think Makoto would be in if the range of the various karakusas?

Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By killroycantkill

Can't wait to not suck ass with abel. I know he deserves that A+ but man... I'm terrible LOL.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By ravensword

lol, I remember when rufus was first announced for SF 4. people were like "WTF, this guy is gonna suck" Now hes top tier apparently.
    Gahzoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Gahzoo

Bleh, both lists put Makoto down low. 

I KNEW IT!

CAPCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM 

(I'm still pissed at 950 stam)
    MaskedGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By MaskedGamer

I would rate guy higher maybe I'm biased but I've been playing him exclusively since he was my favorite character in Alpha 

yetiantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#26  Edited By yetiantics

you best BELIEVE that Guile is now top tier. His recovery from [L] Sonic Boom is BANANAS. Can't punish it!
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Yummylee
    @MaskedGamer said:
    " I would rate guy higher maybe I'm biased but I've been playing him exclusively since he was my favorite character in Alpha  "
    He was pretty beasty in Alpha 3. Cody was still just as annoying too...  Shame Rolento didn't make it in.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#28  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Haha. And remember when we were all hearing that Guile was worse than he was before? It's the sunglasses, I tell ya. Slip those shades on for instant god tier. 

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By napalm
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " Haha. And remember when we were all hearing that Guile was worse than he was before? It's the sunglasses, I tell ya. Slip those shades on for instant god tier.  "
    It's quickly becoming a noob thing which is what I expected. I only throw them on if I feel my opponent needs to play better, or if they are dizzied and I can df.FK > EX Flash Kick for a win.
    Schizoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Schizoid

Abel is A+? Wow, I wasn't really expecting that at all. I expect in the future he'll probably drop down to A. 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jakob187

I'm kind of saddened to see Juri in flat-B territory, but then again, I'm not surprised because of how paper thin her health is.  I'm thoroughly surprised at how low Makoto and Guy are, though.  They have some strong move sets and good target combos.  Maybe people still haven't fully figured out their usage?  Maybe the same can be said for Juri as well. 

I don't know how seriously I will take early tier lists, as the game hasn't been out too terribly long to see where the full potential of some of the new characters is at.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By lordofultima
    @jakob187 said:
    " I'm kind of saddened to see Juri in flat-B territory, but then again, I'm not surprised because of how paper thin her health is.  I'm thoroughly surprised at how low Makoto and Guy are, though.  They have some strong move sets and good target combos.  Maybe people still haven't fully figured out their usage?  Maybe the same can be said for Juri as well.  I don't know how seriously I will take early tier lists, as the game hasn't been out too terribly long to see where the full potential of some of the new characters is at. "
    I was stoked when I got a B in a high school class, we must look at B differently.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @lordofultima said:
    " @jakob187 said:
    " I'm kind of saddened to see Juri in flat-B territory, but then again, I'm not surprised because of how paper thin her health is.  I'm thoroughly surprised at how low Makoto and Guy are, though.  They have some strong move sets and good target combos.  Maybe people still haven't fully figured out their usage?  Maybe the same can be said for Juri as well.  I don't know how seriously I will take early tier lists, as the game hasn't been out too terribly long to see where the full potential of some of the new characters is at. "
    I was stoked when I got a B in a high school class, we must look at B differently. "
    Ultima, what did I tell you about using logic on the SSF4 boards? hmmm?
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jakob187
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " @lordofultima said:
    " @jakob187 said:
    I was stoked when I got a B in a high school class, we must look at B differently. "
    Ultima, what did I tell you about using logic on the SSF4 boards? hmmm? "
    Right, but the idea is that there are six tiers.  Saying A+, A, B+, whatever...that doesn't say as much to me as Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3, Tier 4, Tier 5, and Tier 6.  Tier 1 to Tier 4 is a BIIIIIIIIIIG gap. 

Having played Juri since the launch of the game, I've seen a lot of bad Juris online.  I don't think people are realizing how versatile she really is.  Between her Shikusen being overused by people as some way to close range, the lack of projectile charges and proper usage in combos, and the noobs throwing wake-up Senpushas... 

People just don't seem to be using her properly AT ALL!  I mean, she's so anti-Shoto that it's not even funny.  Remember how pissed you would get, loltima, whenever I'd throw an EX Hooligan on you when you'd Hadoken?  Juri's Shikusen is that same thing, as well as a great fake-out mindfuck move to force a whiffed SRK. 

As for Makoto, I think her paper thin health is the sole issue on that, as she's got TREMENDOUS power.  I saw an amazing Makoto at our recent tournament, and that dood could wreck a bulldozer with her.  With Guy, there's a lot of potential, but again...I don't think people have found how to use him well against this line-up of characters. 

And that's where the biggest issue comes up:  the majority of the A+ and A guys...are all core Street Fighter characters.  The Alpha and III characters, with the exception of Ibuki, are all below A tier. 

Maybe there is an issue of stamina that needs to be addressed amongst those characters?  I don't know.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @jakob187:  

1. these teir lists cannot be taken seriously. 
    2. The gap between A+ and C is something like 50 points which is friggan amazing.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By lordofultima
    @jakob187: On the contrary, the reason the letters are listed as they are is because the gap is really small..
    EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By EightBitShik

Rufus is at the top but almost 300 matches now and I have fought him once. 

AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AniMoney
    @EightBitShik said:
    " Rufus is at the top but almost 300 matches now and I have fought him once.  "
    Top tier doesn't always mean popular. 

Online does not indicate the tier lists.
    KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#39  Edited By KingBroly

Juri is probably mid-tier because she has very low stamina.  If she had more, she'd be higher.  I don't agree with Ryu and Ken being on the same tier, though.

MarceloAbans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MarceloAbans

I'm sure this will evolve with time. A lot of characters have seen their full potential yet, also remember it's arburtriary. A Dhalsim (Sabin) beat a Ryu (Daigo) and it was one of the best matches I saw in 2009. Also guile is on there because of daigo, he was generally considered Mid-teir at best but because Daigo's ability to use him so effectively he got moved up and is considered God Teir. Not sure if he belongs there but he's always been a very powerful frustrating character to play against for me. 

Xcessive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Xcessive

Dhalsim and ryu are even if i remember correctly. i would have thought dudley was higher than what he is on this list but i havent had much first hand experience

MarceloAbans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MarceloAbans

Right but many people do you think conceptually would have thought that would have been a tough fight for Ryu? I know what Sims about and he's really an amazing zone character.. So awesome..

s0mah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By s0mah
    @Xcessive: 

Dudley has good tools but has a lot of trouble getting in to use them.
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Akuma and Abel don't surprise me in the least. Their new ultras are freaking crazy. Easy to combo into, tons of damage, and they look awesome.  

Edit: I figured Juri was going to be low on the list. Low health, damage isn't too great, and her moves are  wildly predictable. All that said...still love her lol. Used to main Cammy, but I just gave her up. Not sure why, but w/e.

Heylook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Heylook

Lol, Dan.

I've never actually fought a crazy good Dan. I will pee my pants when I finally do.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By The_A_Drain

A+ Abel??? Hmm, havn't really played against him enough to notice. 

I fucking love how Guile has gone from middling to god-teir though, as much as he has always been my favourite SF character, this is bullshit. Guile is fucking hideously good now :\ too good, perhaps. 

As for Guy, yeah it doesn't surprise me he's so low when his fucking cross-up never works properly, some of his combos just flat out fail to connect sometimes, and other problems (try bloody ff chain to ex hurricane kick on a smaller character, sometimes flat out misses, wtf is up with that) shame really :\ cos now i'm stuck with him as my main.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#47  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @The_A_Drain: Breathless alone makes Abel broken.  I mean, powerful.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By lordofultima
    @PrimeSynergy said:

" Akuma and Abel don't surprise me in the least. Their new ultras are freaking crazy. Easy to combo into, tons of damage, and they look awesome.   Edit: I figured Juri was going to be low on the list. Low health, damage isn't too great, and her moves are  wildly predictable. All that said...still love her lol. Used to main Cammy, but I just gave her up. Not sure why, but w/e. "

Akuma's Ultra 2 is easy to combo into? Are you mad? Abels ultra 2? Don't even think you can combo that, it's a grab ultra..statistically speaking, Akuma was better before than he is now, slightly anyway.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Scooper
    @lordofultima said:
    "  Akuma was better before than he is now, slightly anyway. "
    I think Akuma was alot better in vanilla. His roundhouse loop did so much damage, and they took it out! Just as I was starting to get good with it ;'(.
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By BabyChooChoo
    @lordofultima said:

" @PrimeSynergy said:

" Akuma and Abel don't surprise me in the least. Their new ultras are freaking crazy. Easy to combo into, tons of damage, and they look awesome.   Edit: I figured Juri was going to be low on the list. Low health, damage isn't too great, and her moves are  wildly predictable. All that said...still love her lol. Used to main Cammy, but I just gave her up. Not sure why, but w/e. "

Akuma's Ultra 2 is easy to combo into? Are you mad? Abels ultra 2? Don't even think you can combo that, it's a grab ultra..statistically speaking, Akuma was better before than he is now, slightly anyway. "
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't his 2nd ultra 2xUP + LMH-K? Or am I thinking about something else...lol 

Edit: didn't even see the comment about Abel. But yeah, you can combo into that if you do a crouching HP. Knock 'em up, wait for the right moment and bam. I guess easy isn't the right word, but when you practice it non-stop it becomes easy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.