Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

Mashers, why do you do it?

• 162 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By Stang
    @XII_Sniper: For what feels like the millionth time, this is not directed to casual/beginning players. More to the sort of player Jeff mentioned, JR style. JR mashes harder then anybody online, offline he does not. 

YOUR STRING MEANS NOTHING, I CAN DEMON THAT BITCH SON!

C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#52  Edited By C2C

I normally don't mash.  I only do so when I panic -or- when I am playing much more aggressively than normal.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#53  Edited By frankxiv

because i don't care enough. i played like 200 matches in sf4 so i think that counts as a regular player, but i'm more of a casual regular because i know moves and stuff but don't own a stick or care if you think or know or think you know i'm mashing out a panicked attack at the last second. 

at the end of the day it's still a game to me, i don't care if i have perfect execution i just want to go online and have fun. 

edit: for the record i only play cammy. i'm actually quite terrible with "shotos"

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Stang
    @onimonkii: People with 200 matches are not who I am aiming at, that is a very small amount of experience in the grand scheme of things. To put it in perspective, I have over 10,000 matches played.

Cammy may as well be a shoto as far as this thread is concerned seeing as she has a mashable move in her cannon spike.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By napalm
    @Stang said:
    " @Spiral_Stars: Good point. I don't mash under pressure, I resort to gimmicks. Typically fish for an air cross up ex tatsu so I can get an easy ultra. In the end it usually gets me in trouble just like a masher :/   Damn I quick with the replies. IM ON FIRE. "
    People are going to do stupid shit when they are under pressure. I wake up Ultra like a little bitch when I'm way down on life. Mashers typically don't resort to mashing when they are under pressure, most of them see it as a legitimate strategy, and they go in with the attitude of, "well if it's bullshit to you, then why can't you stop it?" "And, stop whining because you can get out of it."
    Ulquiorra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Ulquiorra

I admit it...I mash on pretty much every fighting game except Street Fighter why can't other fighters get it right?

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#57  Edited By frankxiv
    @Stang said:
    " @onimonkii: People with 200 matches are not who I am aiming at, that is a very small amount of experience in the grand scheme of things. To put it in perspective, I have over 10,000 matches played.  Cammy may as well be a shoto as far as this thread is concerned seeing as she has a mashable move in her cannon spike. "
    i'm sure i have more, i'm just going by the ranked match trophy, it was the last one i got before i sold the game. and fair enough about cannon spike, but i mean like most people who know nothing and default to ryu/ken, but i knew nothing and couldn't play them for shit.
    KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#58  Edited By KingBroly

I mash when I get frustrated.  But it's not something I do consistently.

Kumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Kumo

I know this isn't directed at me, but I'll reply anyway. I don't mash through blockstrings, but I have a nasty habit of mashing random buttons when I'm being pressured. Trying to get rid of that habit.. I don't do it on purpose.

NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#60  Edited By NinjaHunter

I mash when I'm desperate. Especially if someone is rushing me down really well and basically locking me down.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#61  Edited By demontium

I don't mash. but it doesnt get anywhere without extreme luck

Jemenez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Jemenez

@cap123 said:

"casual street fighter players i guess, who don't commit enough to learn a moveset but still like playing fighting games "

this

AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By AniMoney

I mash if it works, if the player is smart enough to adjust, then I'll stop. 

Then again I play Balrog so the only mashing I get to do regularly is on jab. :P

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Stang
    @Kumo said:
    " I know this isn't directed at me, but I'll reply anyway. I don't mash through blockstrings, but I have a nasty habit of mashing random buttons when I'm being pressured. Trying to get rid of that habit.. I don't do it on purpose. "
    Respect. I have a set on youtube to prove it! Skill level means little to me when playing a person, not abusing lag is what matters. Online mashers abuse lag. BOO ON THEM.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By napalm
    @AniMoney said:
    " I mash if it works, if the player is smart enough to adjust, then I'll stop.  Then again I play Balrog so the only mashing I get to do regularly is on jab. :P "
    I think there's a difference with trying to mash a special during a blockstring, and hitting jabs a lot to put space between you and the player. Sometimes if a player tries to get in close quick, or do M. Bison's Psycho Crusher, they always end up right next to me, so I can immediately start a c.LP combo. I'm still not great at teching throws, so I opt for that.
    s0mah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#66  Edited By s0mah
    @Stang:

lol @ another river well cried.

Complaining about scrubs mashing out from lag or your loose strings is getting to be so goddamned passe.   IMO find an arcade or some local friends if you find latency chronically ruining your flowchart good times.   
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Stang
    @s0mah: 
    Haha it looks like Kou Lou whatever has an alt. Come play me big guy, lets see how it turns out.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @s0mah said:
    " @Stang:   lol @ another river well cried.   Complaining about scrubs mashing out from lag or your loose strings is getting to be so goddamned passe.   IMO find an arcade or some local friends if you find latency chronically ruining your flowchart good times.    "
    Stang isn't complaining hes asking why they do it, like if its a lack of skill or  understanding. There is a difference between that and just straight up bitching about mashers.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Stang
    @Jeffsekai: Thanks man, but let the troll do what he does best.  I love this stuff. This guy would make great fodder  for a youtube first to ten.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By napalm
    @s0mah: There's no way you're serious. That has to be the most retarded post in this thread. It's well established Stang is one of the best players on the Street Fighter IV board. Maybe you should go look at some of his videos and you can learn a thing or two. Around here we settle disputes with a good ol' first to ten. So either put up or shut up.

@Stang said:
    " @Jeffsekai: Thanks man, but let the troll do what he does best.  I love this stuff. This guy would make great fodder  for a youtube first to ten. "

And that's your open invitation.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @Stang said:
    " @Jeffsekai: Thanks man, but let the troll do what he does best.  I love this stuff. This guy would make great fodder  for a youtube first to ten. "
    I don;t think that guy is Kou, just some random guy.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Stang
    @Napalm said:

" @s0mah: There's no way you're serious. That has to be the most retarded post in this thread. It's well established Stang is one of the best players on the Street Fighter IV board. Maybe you should go look at some of his videos and you can learn a thing or two. Around here we settle disputes with a good ol' first to ten. So either put up or shut up. "

Thank you sir :) 

edit

@Jeffsekai:
    Yeah, you are right. We are typically troll free here though, 2 in 1 day is insane.
    s0mah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By s0mah
    @Stang: 

lol let's get out our salty internet tough gai personas on the count of three.

No need to wax all emotional pal, I was just making a passing comment.  I mean, it wasn't like I was suggesting that your point almost entirely resonates alongside newbish comments concerning the cheapness of throws, the scrubiness of a magneto rushdown, or how roll canceling is maximum gay to the maximum power.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Stang
    @s0mah: You insulted me first genius. OH MY GOD, I DEFENDED MYSELF!!! I am not some punk kid who talks trash on the internet. I don't take kindly to those who act like you. I guarantee you would not speak to me like you have the past two posts if I were to meet you in person.

Your opinion has little validity. That is all. We don't like trolls here. I would still like you to own my flowchart ass though. I am a flowchart as you say, shouldn't take you long.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By napalm
    @Stang: He's trying to pull that cross-sarcastic I'm-kinda-serious-but-kinda-not pretentious attitude to try to confuse you. I suggest ignoring him.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Stang
    @Napalm: Yeah, you are right. Damn it Napalm, when did you get so mature? I APPROVE!
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By napalm
    @Stang said:
    " @Napalm: Yeah, you are right. Damn it Napalm, when did you get so mature? I APPROVE! "
    When you read his comment and you have no idea what he means or what he's trying to say and no idea how to respond, that's when it's a good idea to not even try to reason.
    s0mah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By s0mah
    @Stang: 

If I met you in person?  Who the fuck on the internet still says shit like that?

I was not trying to troll you, bro-  initially I stated my opinion.  Now though, I'm laughing audibly at a small fish acting hard in a even smaller Giant Bomb pond.  Head to SRK with a thread like this and get 10000X posts similar to my original.

ps:

I lifted flowchart from your own post.  lol +++ if you've found yourself offended, by yourself.
    newhaap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By newhaap
    @Stang said:
    " @Kumo said:
    " I know this isn't directed at me, but I'll reply anyway. I don't mash through blockstrings, but I have a nasty habit of mashing random buttons when I'm being pressured. Trying to get rid of that habit.. I don't do it on purpose. "
    Respect. I have a set on youtube to prove it! Skill level means little to me when playing a person, not abusing lag is what matters. Online mashers abuse lag. BOO ON THEM. "
    What do you mean by abusing lag?
    On some laggy games I sometimes feel like I get beaten because somehow the other player is using the lag to his advantage. Is that what you mean? And if so what do they do / how do they do it?
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Stang
    @s0mah said:

" I am a miserable troll, sorry for acting like a douche"

Apology accepted. Now go away. 

edit

@newhaap:

Whether the lag is glarring or not, it is always there. Lag spikes can hit at any time. Most links are between what, 1-3 frames. If you were not aware, 1 frame equates to 1/60 of a second. Think about that. If you are trying a one frame link, and there is lag, what are the odds of it connecting? If somebody is mashing dp, you just lost.

Offline, there is no lag. If your links are solid, your opponent can mash all they want, it will not work. My links are extremely solid offline, shaky online since I play tons of people and every connection has a varying amount of lag.

See why I have a problem with online mashing now?
    Kumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Kumo
    @newhaap said:
    " @Stang said:
    " @Kumo said:
    Respect. I have a set on youtube to prove it! Skill level means little to me when playing a person, not abusing lag is what matters. Online mashers abuse lag. BOO ON THEM. "
    What do you mean by abusing lag? On some laggy games I sometimes feel like I get beaten because somehow the other player is using the lag to his advantage. Is that what you mean? And if so what do they do / how do they do it? "
    He's talking about how links are harder to perform online when there's lag. People abuse that lag by mashing out a srk during what would've been a link combo if not for lag. Stuff like that.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By napalm
    @newhaap said:
    " @Stang said:
    " @Kumo said:
    What do you mean by abusing lag? On some laggy games I sometimes feel like I get beaten because somehow the other player is using the lag to his advantage. Is that what you mean? And if so what do they do / how do they do it? "

Occasionally, online lag will take out a frame or two from certain moves. A good example is Bison can Scissor Kick in between the sweep from Guile's double sweep, but since a frame is occasionally missing from his move, he is unable to punish that attack online.
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By meteora
    @Stang: Stang when I get Super Street Fighter IV and play with you, you will literally hate me for button mashing.

Just to refresh your memory this is the guy who played with you on MW2.
    Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Coombs

Button mashing is the go to for anyone who doesn't play fighting games daily
    or
    Anyone that does not have an arcade stick

It's the lazy way to play, And well... people are fucking lazy.
    I try not to button mash in any fighting game, But I do catch myself doing it alot more than I would like

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Stang
    @Meteora said:
    " @Stang: Stang when I get Super Street Fighter IV and play with you, you will literally hate me for button mashing.  Just to refresh your memory this is the guy who played with you on MW2. "
    Haha, I know who you are :p Feel free to mash against me, this thread is not directed at you or the super casual crowd.
    s0mah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By s0mah
    @Sir Stang: 
     What a clever and inventive way to manipulate my words via quote.  I must confess that I have never seen such a bold tactic on these, or any, interwebs.  Kudos sir!  Kudos to your vast intellect and unprecedented quick thinking.

As I am a true gentlemen of an extremely sporting nature, I honorably and immediately concede this discourse to you.   Good show Stang, old chum!  Good show!

LET US RECOMMENCE WITH THE LAMENTATIONS! 111!!

stephengotlost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By stephengotlost

Someone who hasn't dedicated the time to learn the specifics and just wants to play the game and extract some enjoyment out of it?

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Stang
    @s0mah: You try far too hard. Nobody cares.
    s0mah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By s0mah
    @Stang: 
    Yah I know.

Check it out though, where on teh youtube.com can I find these amazing vids of you?  A quick search nets 3 of JR kinda abusing you. ;(
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Stang
    @s0mah: OMG I LOST TO JR!!!!!!!!! Everybody here gets stomped by JR (best masher on Live). How long ago was that? Furthermore, who cares? Nice try diverting the convo to something completely unrelated. I would destroy you, that is the only thing important here.
    Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Coombs
    @s0mah said:
    " @Stang:  Yah I know.  Check it out though, where on teh youtube.com can I find these amazing vids of you?  A quick search nets 3 of JR kinda abusing you. ;( "

No Caption Provided

Your both Online,  
    Grudge Match time?

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Stang
    @Coombs: Dude doesn't stand a chance. I will go unlock Dan again and beat him exclusively with him. I can back up my talk, all he can do is talk. Any time after 4:30 pm pst tomorrow I am game. Camera will be rolling.
    s0mah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By s0mah
    @Coombs: 

lol school has never allowed me to play SFIV competitively.  

TBH, I made the single initial comment and after seeing Stang react like a 13 year old, I decided to troll him for an hour as a break from CS homework.

We could GGPO some 3S or XBL some MVC2, but I could give only a slight fuck about a win or loss in SFIV.
    RedPanda77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By RedPanda77

I have had a hell of a time lately; learning to play Dhalsim against a sea of shotokan clones could not be more frustrating. 
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#95  Edited By lordofultima
    @s0mah: And likewise, most people on these boards give only a slight fuck about 3S and MVC2, so the feeling is mutual! Huzzah for common ground!
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Scooper
    @Napalm said:
    " @Stang said:
    " @Spiral_Stars: Good point. I don't mash under pressure, I resort to gimmicks. Typically fish for an air cross up ex tatsu so I can get an easy ultra. In the end it usually gets me in trouble just like a masher :/   Damn I quick with the replies. IM ON FIRE. "
    People are going to do stupid shit when they are under pressure. I wake up Ultra like a little bitch when I'm way down on life. Mashers typically don't resort to mashing when they are under pressure, most of them see it as a legitimate strategy, and they go in with the attitude of, "well if it's bullshit to you, then why can't you stop it?" "And, stop whining because you can get out of it." "
    I gotta give you credit, you are good at EX flashing on a weak link. That stuff I can't complain about because at least then you've got to pick like a 17 frame window of when you think the link is weakest and slot a flash in there (I'm guessing the charge is kept something like 17 frames after back/downback is moved away from, I can't remember exactaly, Ultima, educate me please if I'm wrong). It's not like it's a shoto that can mash from the first jab to the last 2 frame link. And wakeup ultra isn't always a bad thing. If you're on 5% health and your opponent is on 50%, throw out an ultra! I mean if you don't a blocked fireball or whatever is gunna kill you anyway. The only problem is your opponent is most likely expecting an ultra and will block it everytime and you end up looking the fool. Lately I've had some really awesome combacks that were uncanny. I'd be 1 hit away from death and my opponent on 60% or whatever and he starts to taunt and jump back being cocky and I've actualy gone full out assault and before he knows it he's dead and I'm through. Now I make sure I finish a mother fucker off asap lmao.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By napalm
    @Scooper: Ha, thanks man. I don't really know how I got to reading when there's a weak link or not. I'm not guessing at all, but I think just listening to how close the attack sounds are together and the stance of my character when there's a weak link, I just know where a Flash Kick goes. It's one of those things you instinctively know, I guess.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @lordofultima said:

" @s0mah: And likewise, most people on these boards give only a slight fuck about 3S and MVC2, so the feeling is mutual! Huzzah for common ground! "

Word.

@s0mah:
    If you have no intention of backing up all this trolling with SF4 play because you suck you can't really come in here yelling at Stang for getting rolled by JR.  I mean you telling Stang hes horrible, then you say "but I would never  back this up because im terrible as well, except more so." kinda weird don't ya think?

Also JR has beat Yeb, Valle, and Ed Ma. Go troll them now too.

wtf is with all the trolls lately .
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Stang
    @Jeffsekai: 

It is just my winning personality. On top of attracting Jessica Albaesque ladies with my charm, I also get the nerdiest of nerds hating on me for no apparent reason. Can't blame them though, haters just can't handle my winning personality as well as my god tier looks. 

On top of that, I have a sweet I love mom tat on my right shoulder and my bff is Ryu. BEAT THAT!
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#100  Edited By lordofultima
    @Stang said:
    " @Jeffsekai:   It is just my winning personality. On top of attracting Jessica Albaesque ladies with my charm, I also get the nerdiest of nerds hating on me for no apparent reason. Can't blame them though, haters just can't handle my winning personality as well as my god tier looks.   On top of that, I have a sweet I love mom tat on my right shoulder and my bff is Ryu. BEAT THAT! "
    I'm coming to evo cosplaying as ryu, at which point we can re-create the main menu of Super Street Fighter IV alone in the hotel room.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.