Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

No PC version Due to Piracy, also no Steam-Only version

newmarcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By newmarcom

In an interview with 4gamer.net, Yoshinori Ono says there won't be a PC version because the vanilla version was so heavily pirated. He also says a Steam-Only version is out of the question because it would be unfair to regions who don't have access to Steam.

4gamers.net link (in Japanese)
    andriasang.com link (English translated)

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By HitmanAgent47

What bullshit, damn pirates won't let me have a perfect version with perfect graphics. So much for supporting the game since I bought a copy of street fighter 4.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

I understand if they don't release a version that can be pirated, but the logic for not having a steam version makes no sense.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By metal_mills

Pathetic excuse. It sold strong on PC...so lets not release the next version. Yep, makes perfect sense.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By ch13696

I thought that game sold a crap load on PC. Apparently if your developing on the PC, your scapegoat is gonna be the pirates. Is that the fad now? I'm really starting to think that pirating is not the issue. It's the fact that fighting games aren't meant for PC. And this is coming from someone who buys most of his games on the PC.

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By bwmcmaste
    @zudthespud said:
    " I understand if they don't release a version that can be pirated, but the logic for not having a steam version makes no sense. "
    I would probably interpret it as, "we don't want to deal with Valve, and we can't distribute it on our own with confidence: So there will be none of this high falutin' digital distribution crap!" 
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By scarace360

Well dont worry you'll always have an arcade to go to and play it.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SeriouslyNow

$10 says he sacrificed a PC release to appease MS who're probably not thrilled at how strongly SF4 sold on PC.  MS have a vested interest in keeping as many exclusives on PC as they can.

@bwmcmaste said:

" @zudthespud said:

" I understand if they don't release a version that can be pirated, but the logic for not having a steam version makes no sense. "
    I would probably interpret it as, "we don't want to deal with Valve, and we can't distribute it on our own with confidence: So there will be none of this high falutin' digital distribution crap!"  "

That would make sense if EVERY OTHER major Capcom hit wasn't released via Steam.  They are.
    MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By MysteriousBob

Would anyone even want to play SF on a PC?

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @MysteriousBob said:
    " Would anyone even want to play SF on a PC? "
    We do have USB ports and access to the same Arcade Sticks you console guys do, yaknow? ;)

SF4 looks incredible @ 1080P with FSAA and higher detail effects and textures.  It's also hella easy to record matches n stuff with FRAPS.
    Skogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Skogen

Makes sense, the online was junk and it was pirated up the wazoo. It makes little sense to spend time optimizing a port where the majority of people are going to pirate it.

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By AndrewJD

That's a bummer. Doesn't affect me directly but I know people who only game on PC who would have been interested in it. 

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By xyzygy

This isn't surprising with all the people that pirate. I honestly don't think I know anyone who bought a PC game in the past few years. Everyone just torrents them. 

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14  Edited By yukoasho

PC gamers reap what they sow, so no sympathy here.  Game companies aren't charities.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Too bad, I was waiting on a PC version so I could try out all the crazy character moveset swaps people were doing with vanilla on PC. Minus one sale, Capcom...

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jimbo

What a shame.

MarceloAbans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MarceloAbans

I started with the PC version then got the PS3 and working on the XBOX next. In all honesty, the more time would pass the better the game would actually get. With computers life spans being so short, you also have more of a uniform platform for everyone to play on really.. It'd be sick to have a game like 3rd strike be officially released.. Not sure what exact percentages it would be but I would imagine it could be huge.. I'm actually goign to play PC, PSN is down all day so I'll visit vanilla for a bit with sim..   I don't think Ono understand how steam works.. Someone should break it down for him.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#18  Edited By alistercat

Always disappointing to hear about this kind of thing. I had no intention of buying it or pirating it, but still a shame for the platform.  
    @xyzygy said:

" This isn't surprising with all the people that pirate. I honestly don't think I know anyone who bought a PC game in the past few years. Everyone just torrents them.  "

@YukoAsho said:

" PC gamers reap what they sow, so no sympathy here.  Game companies aren't charities. "

Please don't generalise. I've bought almost 30 PC games this year alone.

Edit: I messed up that post because the tools were buggy. Fixed now.

EpicVandal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By EpicVandal

To be fair, it is highly unlikely Ono's decision to make as to what platforms the game is released on. Almost everyone has higher ups to answer to and it's just the suits at Capcom being a bit on the retarded side of things.  

Often times i get the impression that Capcom Japan is going through some growing pains with the stuff they are putting out and seem to be trying to find a way to please their customers as well as not make the mistakes of the Bionic Commando and Lost Planet 2 games.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By phrosnite

I haven't even played SFIV yet... I'm more interested in MK but due to piracy they will never make a PC version *sad face*

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#21  Edited By Geno

Apparently they actually sold fairly well with the first one on the PC. The Super version is not being made due to "moral" reasons, he sees the IP as too precious to be in the hands of pirates, even if they will make a net profit overall and even though it will get the game more exposure.  

In other words, he's crazy. 

Dawglet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By Dawglet

We don't want to alienate any regions from playing this game on PC, so instead we're going to make sure nobody gets to play it.

Cool.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By chrissedoff

hum de dum let's all pretend that pirates don't outnumber the people who pay for games on pc 10 to 1, so we have a real good excuse to get worked up every time this happens.

TrakMastaTom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TrakMastaTom
    @chrissedoff: 
    Let's also pretend that it's impossible to pirate 360 games...
    NuDimon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By NuDimon
    @chrissedoff said:

" hum de dum let's all pretend that pirates don't outnumber the people who pay for games on pc 10 to 1, so we have a real good excuse to get worked up every time this happens. "

Number of illigal copies =/= lost revenue. No PC version = no PC sales. So they just get less sales in total. I seriously doubt that many will concider getting SSF IV on a console just because they can't get it on PC. A lot of PC gamers don't even have a console. So this is just retarded imho. But it doesnt effect me since I got it on 360. Sucks for the guys that want the PC version tho... 
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By Driadon

:( 
    There's other digital distribution methods, like Direct 2 Drive, that could reach all of those without Steam... Please Capcom....Please....

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By chrissedoff
    @TrakMastaTom:  hum de dum let's reassure ourselves with the same old false equivalency that console games can be pirated too, never mind that it happens at 2% the rate of pc piracy, it just feels good to think that we're being persecuted for no reason.

@NuDimon: except for all the people who didn't buy the playstation version of street fighter 4 because they were able to pirate it on the pc. even if you could make a little bit of money, i think you'd have to be a sucker to waste time and money paying people to port a game to an audience that is 90% pirates who have no intention of paying you anything for your trouble. instead of moaning and groaning about not getting super street fighter 4, you would think pc gamers would think to themselves how neat it was that capcom decided to make a pc version of the original street fighter iv, not just because of piracy but because it's never been a game people associate with the pc. in my opinion that was pretty cool of them, and should not be taken as a sign that they owe you a pc version of every game they make now, because that is some fucked up logic.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#28  Edited By wefwefasdf

That is pretty messed up.

sonny4mayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By sonny4mayor

Bummer, but I kinda had the feeling this would be the excuse for no PC version. The capcom higher ups probably looked at the piracy numbers and decided to just force everyone to buy a console version. The steam comment made no sense at all however. But we'll see what happens about 4 months from now just like last time.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Phished0ne

do they even have to "port" it?  i would imagine SF is developed on PC for arcade reasons. Aren't  arcade machines just PCs with fancy boxes around them? even more so now than in the past. 

I remember before vanilla came out Jeff saying  "it will come out on PC because its developed on PC for arcades to begin with".

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By meteora

When I think about the fighting genre, I don't particularly think of PC platform.

mariussmit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#32  Edited By mariussmit

For cases like these I actually wish that Steam had a "Buy by petition" system. It combines two things PC gamers love. Geting ports of good games and signing up for petition. 

The way it could work is that people could put their money down for the game and if they have enough before a certain time the game gets ported and released. It should be a no brainer for them to port SSFIV since they already did it for SFIV and the petition system would ensure that they would be profitable since they can set the amount at which that happens. They would even get free marketing from the PC gamers who would want the port to happen. 

Amp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Amp
    @murse2008: That is a horrible idea.

Yes, let's donate money to Valve so Capcom can fund development of such-and-such game we want!

@chrissedoff:
    I remember one of the bigger torrent trackers releasing a statement saying that SF4 was pirated more on consoles than it was for the PC. Yes, it is harder to pirate, and thus the ratio is lower, this means there are more people pirating games on consoles than on PC. It's like whether you think a nation's GDP or Per Capita is more important.

Piracy is a buzzword issue that will never be solved. The PC gaming market is very different from consoles for multiple reasons, yes, piracy being really easy is one of them, but not the only one. You can't take the same approach with selling games on the PC platform as you do with consoles and just expect it to work. But it's easy to blame piracy for when a game doesn't sell on the PC, because it's your excuse to say, "Oh! Well! Obviously my game is great and should have sold, but it didn't! People MUST be playing my/our game (because it's so great, did I mention how great it is?), but they're just not paying for it!"

What offends me and a whole lot of PC gamers on this specific example is the fact that the way the Ono interview was presented, it was implied that he does not want the game to be considered "Free" to certain people. When piracy happens on consoles just as much, if not moreso than the PC (and watch PS3 piracy numbers skyrocket here pretty soon now that PS3 has jailbreaking), it's evident that the PC platform is suddenly going to suffer because of the perception of a problem, rather than an actual problem.
    Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Lemoncookie01

PC gamers are getting screwed.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Diamond
    @Amp said:

@chrissedoff: I remember one of the bigger torrent trackers releasing a statement saying that SF4 was pirated more on consoles than it was for the PC.

No, the sheer numbers were much higher on PC, if you believe the source.  Personally I believe all those numbers were bloated, there is no way to accurately track torrented games.

The problem is, as some have stated, that not only does PC have a large number of pirates, but they have a much smaller level of sales.  Capcom has to consider what sales they lose if they continue to make PC versions.  Some console & PC owners will simply wait to pirate the PC version.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By ajamafalous
    @xyzygy said:
    " This isn't surprising with all the people that pirate. I honestly don't think I know anyone who bought a PC game in the past few years. Everyone just torrents them.  "
    You need better friends.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By xyzygy
    @ajamafalous said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    You need better friends. "
    Just because they pirate doesn't mean they're bad friends.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38  Edited By Animasta
    @chrissedoff said:
    " hum de dum let's all pretend that pirates don't outnumber the people who pay for games on pc 10 to 1, so we have a real good excuse to get worked up every time this happens. "
    haha cool number dude

did you know 1 out of a 100 people kick kittens for fun?
    Flameinc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Flameinc

Also, Steam is localized into like 19 different languages.. if you can't understand ONE of them, odds are you arn't the PC gaming type.

EpicVandal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By EpicVandal
    @Laketown said:
    haha cool number dude   did you know 1 out of a 100 people kick kittens for fun? "
    I'm one of them... that means i'm a statistic.. YAY!!!!
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Amp said:
    @chrissedoff: I remember one of the bigger torrent trackers releasing a statement saying that SF4 was pirated more on consoles than it was for the PC. Yes, it is harder to pirate, and thus the ratio is lower, this means there are more people pirating games on consoles than on PC. It's like whether you think a nation's GDP or Per Capita is more important.  Piracy is a buzzword issue that will never be solved. The PC gaming market is very different from consoles for multiple reasons, yes, piracy being really easy is one of them, but not the only one. You can't take the same approach with selling games on the PC platform as you do with consoles and just expect it to work. But it's easy to blame piracy for when a game doesn't sell on the PC, because it's your excuse to say, "Oh! Well! Obviously my game is great and should have sold, but it didn't! People MUST be playing my/our game (because it's so great, did I mention how great it is?), but they're just not paying for it!"  What offends me and a whole lot of PC gamers on this specific example is the fact that the way the Ono interview was presented, it was implied that he does not want the game to be considered "Free" to certain people. When piracy happens on consoles just as much, if not moreso than the PC (and watch PS3 piracy numbers skyrocket here pretty soon now that PS3 has jailbreaking), it's evident that the PC platform is suddenly going to suffer because of the perception of a problem, rather than an actual problem. "
    QFT.  I think it's safe to say that there's no valid reason pertaining to piracy why this game is not releasing on PC when all of Capcom's other major titles are being released on the platform.  Capcom are either being told by Sony and MS not to do a PC release or they are just being short sighted because they don't want to manage different art assets for the PC release OR they just think the game will be lost on PC in terms of sales when MvsC3 is just around the corner.  

Also, it could have to do with the previous game being Games for Windows Live centric and maybe Capcom aren't interested in that network platform anymore after seeing other AAA devs drop it for complete Steamworks integration a la DoW2.  In any case, piracy is just an easy out as far as excuses go, but based on Capcom's PC release schedule, it doesn't wash.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.