Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Mar 23, 2011

Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP is an adventure game from Capybara Games. As the Scythian, the player seeks the mysterious Megatome in a beautiful fantasy world rendered in a distinctive pixel art style. "EP" is a music reference; the soundtrack is part of the package and gameplay.

Sword & Sworcery EP Also Coming to PC, Mac

• 121 results
    Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#101  Edited By Dan_CiTi

@abara said:

@Dan_CiTi said:

I'll wait for Sword & Sworcery LP.

Sucker. I'll keep repping the first demo (before they sold out their aesthetic).

You're right, I need to stick with the original 7 inch I got back in the day.

@depecheload said:

@Dan_CiTi said:

You mean the soundtrack?

You missed the joke.

Avatar image for deactivated-63c9a5152a56a
    deactivated-63c9a5152a56a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@Dan_CiTi said:

@abara said:

@Dan_CiTi said:

Sucker. I'll keep repping the first demo (before they sold out their aesthetic).

You're right, I need to stick with the original 7 inch I got back in the day.

@depecheload said:

@Dan_CiTi said:

You mean the soundtrack?

You missed the joke.

What joke? The game is called "Sword & Sworcery EP" while the soundtrack is called "Sword & Sworcery LP."

capt_ventris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#103  Edited By capt_ventris

Interested to give the game a try.

getonBJslevel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#105  Edited By getonBJslevel

I am stoked to finally be able to play this! I have been wanting to for some time.

kosayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By kosayn

Cool. One of the few smartphone games that I've been wanting to try.

Good choice of platform. I would be cautious if it were attempted on PS3.

smiddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By smiddy

I've wanted to play this for a long time, especially since it's made by Capybara. But when they released it on iOS my first gen iPhone couldn't run it. And it never came to Android or WP7.

It's great to hear that it's finally coming to a platform I can play it on, but I wish it hadn't taken so long.

Chemin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#108  Edited By Chemin

Perfect. I've wanted to play this ever since Patrick brought it up in the GOTY discussions (or even before that, I can't remember).

PXAbstraction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By PXAbstraction

@JazGalaxy said:

@PXAbstraction said:

@DriftSPace said:

@PXAbstraction said:

I use the term pretentious but I don't even think that's a bad thing in general sense. High-brow, intellectual stories are a great thing and I'm all for strong narrative in games that explore unique and different themes.

Pretentious does not mean "high-brow, intellectual" at all, and people should not use it to describe those things.

"Pretentious" is used to describe a statement about something which is unfounded, assumes a lot, or contains pretense; pretense is an attempt to make something sound true which is not, or is presumed to be true without a supporting argument. Pretentious is always a "bad thing in general sense," because it usually comes out in the opinion of someone who doesn't understand what they are discussing. Just saying "professional sports sucks" is pretentious because it objectifies someone's opinion by defining an object with a subjective experience; saying that Peyton Manning is the best quarterback in the world is pretentious for similar reasons; talking animal movies (or all anthropomorphic stories) are, by definition, pretentious because they presume that animals think and act like humans would if they had animal bodies. Racism is also pretentious.

(However, calling any work of "fiction" pretentious is usually not apt anyway because -- as it is called "fiction" -- never tries to pass itself off as truth. If we use "pretentious" in this way: Star Wars and Tom Sawyer are both equally pretentioius)

My idea of intellectualism is when people have concise and consistent arguments for things because they have thought about them, and therefore (true) intellectuals are not pretentious because they can support their arguments.

So, yes, pretense is a bad thing because it means someone is trying to sell you a line of misinformed crap as authentic. Anyone calling Swords & Sworcery "pretentious" is being vastly more pretentious than the game could ever be, as the game -- a work of fiction -- does not assert itself to be anything other than it is; the people calling it "pretentious" are actually being pretentious by making assumptions about the aim of the game based on the language, art, or whatever else.

The appropriate word for describing something you think is trying too hard to be smart -- which is also sometimes involves being pretentious -- is "haughty," which is generally what people think of posts like this.

So if the word pretentious was being in appropriately used in my posts, what word would you say would have been more appropriate? I'm genuinely asking because I thought I was using the word correctly from the definition I looked up. The word doesn't matter to me so much as the meaning I was trying to convey with it.

I think you said what you meant to say when you said "high brow intellectual stories". But the question is, and I can't answer this, whether that in and of itself is pretentious? Why do you feel the need to play "high brow intellectual stories"? I personally feel like a lot of people say they want to play games like that because they feel like that portrays them as being people of substance. Like they're smart, cultured, refined, individuals. But wanting people to see them as such is the definition of pretentious. Especially when they point to games that AREN'T any of these things as justification as to why they are. A guy in a previous thread today was making all kinds of deep, unfounded statements about the brilliant morality study that was Grand Theft Auto. That was pretension because anyone who has played GTA, and most people in the thread, pointed out how unfounded his comments were even if GTA is a fun game.

I don't necessarily feel a need to play stuff with intellectual stories per ce and I don't play them just to look down on them. Some of my most enjoyable titles to play right now are shooters like Battlefield 3 and while I didn't care for Braid's story for similar reasons to this, I loved the game. The Longest Journey is my favourite game of all time and its story is quite complex and doesn't hold your hand throughout. I just like variety and want to try different experiences to see if there are other things out there for me to like. Trust me, I am not particularly smart, cultured or refined. :) I'm a big fan of storytelling in games and games that make you think (which doesn't happen much really) and I bought S&SW because it was apparently so story focused and so many were saying how great the story was. So far, my experience has been that it's a story that barely makes and sense and has virtually no gameplay behind it which could make up for that shortfall. I still haven't finished it and given it's length, I probably will because it will require minimal time investment so maybe that will change but thus far, not so much. Others may disagree and if they do, that's fine. It's quite possible I just don't get it.

cabelhigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By cabelhigh

@TheGorilla said:

Great! So more ways to play a terrible game.

Good. I'm glad I'm not the only person who though this.

cabelhigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By cabelhigh

@BrockNRolla: Beautiful art and story do not good gameplay make. It was soul-crushingly boring and the boss battles were TERRIBLE.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By BrockNRolla

@cabelhigh said:

@BrockNRolla: Beautiful art and story do not good gameplay make. It was soul-crushingly boring and the boss battles were TERRIBLE.

Never said they did. I didn't play it for the gameplay, as subsequent conversation in this thread explains. I enjoyed the boss battles though. They may have been repetitious, but I liked the rhythm ans sound design behind the encounters enough to enjoy them nonetheless.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Dan_CiTi

@depecheload: EPs and LPs are a type of music release. Like, an EP is "short album" with about 4 or so songs, like The Beach Boys' Wouldn't It be Nice EP. An LP is a full album with around 12 usually, like The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds. The idea is that they put out the EP first, then return with a full-length LP. But by the time they have put out the full-length they have sold out their sound, that's the joke we were making.

medacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#114  Edited By medacris

Awesome, can't wait! If it's a cheap indie game available on multiple OS'es, I'll at least try it out.

This doesn't strike me as a pretentious game, from what I can tell. "Pretentious" to me is someone who works in an art field, whether it be music, TV, games, etc., regardless of mainstream or obscurity, who goes "YOU'RE TOO STUPID TO UNDERSTAND MY ART, HOW DARE YOU CRITIQUE IT" if someone has the slightest complaint about their work.

senorfuzzeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By senorfuzzeh

@Tidel said:

Worth buying twice, so I will.

Don't forget the third time, for the consoles.

Now with multiplayer.

TheGorilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By TheGorilla

@depecheload said:

@Alex_Carrillo said:

@evanbower said:

@ChrisTaran said:

@depecheload said:

@Alex_Carrillo said:

@mbr2 said:

@TheGorilla said:

WOAH OPINIONS

It's not an opinion. It's an objective fact that I stand behind.

No, your personal taste and views on things are opinions. Get over yourself.

Nope, sorry. It's been scientifically proven. It's a hugely offensive game.

How do ya figure?

Goodness. Relax a little and learn how to take a joke. Opinions by their very definition can't be objective, it's blatantly obvious I wasn't being serious. Get a sarcasm detector.

Ah.

Well it wasn't funny. So maybe that's why no one got it.

Wow, you sound crazy as shit. Chill out. We are on the internet.

And I will reiterate since it seemed to piss some people off so much: S&S is a terrible game.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#117  Edited By evanbower

@TheGorilla said:

@depecheload said:

@Alex_Carrillo said:

@evanbower said:

@ChrisTaran said:

@depecheload said:

@Alex_Carrillo said:

@mbr2 said:

@TheGorilla said:

WOAH OPINIONS

It's not an opinion. It's an objective fact that I stand behind.

No, your personal taste and views on things are opinions. Get over yourself.

Nope, sorry. It's been scientifically proven. It's a hugely offensive game.

How do ya figure?

Goodness. Relax a little and learn how to take a joke. Opinions by their very definition can't be objective, it's blatantly obvious I wasn't being serious. Get a sarcasm detector.

Ah.

Well it wasn't funny. So maybe that's why no one got it.

Wow, you sound crazy as shit. Chill out. We are on the internet.

And I will reiterate since it seemed to piss some people off so much: S&S is a terrible game.

How do ya figure?

TheGorilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By TheGorilla

@evanbower: Damn that made me laugh way more than it should have.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#119  Edited By evanbower

@TheGorilla said:

@evanbower: Damn that made me laugh way more than it should have.

And sworn enemies became the closest of friends.

Argus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#120  Edited By Argus

Wish this were coming for Android, but heck, Steam will do. Possibly even better!

Shurelock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Shurelock

Awesome.

Kind of hate the "EP" though.

Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Cubidog1

Cant wait for it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.