Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Team Fortress 2

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 10, 2007

The long-awaited sequel to the class-based first-person shooter Team Fortress Classic sports a unique cartoony visual style, more accessible gameplay, and a very large amount of updates and new features since its original release.

Possible Spy Update Coming Soon, Too?

MisterSpiffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MisterSpiffy

Looking at this article on RockPaperShotgun, it looks like there's some people thinking that a spy update might be coming soon, too.  If you look here, it looks like there was a spy earlier today behind the picture of the Razorback.  Some people even think that the dead spy on the ground will be some sort of decoy.  It'd certainly make sense if the spy's update was secretly released along with the sniper's, and I love playing the spy, so I'd be glad.  What do you guys think?

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Hamz

People have been saying the Spy will get an update since Valve mentioned they would be updating the classes. The medic got it first, then people said the Spy would get it second and it never did. My guess is the picture in the background is simply to emphasise that the Spy will get a shock, pun intended, for attempting to backstab the Sniper with this new shield item they will be getting.

And I highly doubt the Spy update would come out in secret. If any class needs to be updated next I'd say the Soldier or Demoman do.

EDIT - I may stand corrected if the second picture in that Steam topics OP is legitimate.

DorianBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By DorianBlack

The fact that the spy is in the picture is to emphasize that the spy will be affected by the new item. However, some people seem to think that he is holding something in his hand and that the revolver on the ground is different. But new Spy items would have to be very clever for them to work. Because these Sniper ones are honestly pretty weak.

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Bass

The emphasis of this is the decloaking spy that appeared on the update page for no more than a few minutes--not the one lying on the floor, dead. Could very well be Valve toying with the Steam Community, as they have been predicting the spy update to be a sort of "ninja" update that is completely unannounced since the start of these updates. Whether this image is a joke or a legitimate clue will remain to be unseen. Valve is great like this, and are completely unpredictable because of it.

DorianBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DorianBlack
    @Bass:

Ah my my mistake. Now that I know more about it I think it may very well be a secret spy update. I happen to think the Sniper unlocks are pretty bad but maybe they are deliberately bad because they are not even real. Just something to distract you from the Spy. If they did that, it would be pretty ballsy.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I doubt they'll be releasing it quietly with the sniper update. It might be a clue to what the next update will be (similarly to how the new Payload Race coming in the Snipe update was hinted at in the background of one of the scout update pictures). Although it's probably just a photoshop.

thordain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By thordain

The Spy already got his update as far as I'm concerned. That ability to use ammo containers to recharge the stealth meter made the spy much stronger, so I can't imagine this equipment being very useful.

thordain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By thordain
    Spy update is go!

Well I didn't see this one coming.

New things include a device which will spawn a dead spy for 8 seconds so you can do stuff. The other is a replacement for the cloaking device which lets you cloak forever as long as you stay still.
    Gigaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Gigaman

I just want "Meet the Spy", and I'll be happy.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By mracoon
    MattyFTM said:
    I doubt they'll be releasing it quietly with the sniper update. It might be a clue to what the next ... [more]
    Yeah I guessed there would be anew mode called Payload Wars so it seems I was dead on.

It looks like the time between the updates is getting shorter so I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a Spy udate quite soon after this one. We still have to get the rest of the 'Meet the Team' videos too.

EDIT: oh, that's interesting.
    Dragonbyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Dragonbyte
    thordain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By thordain
    Staff said:
    Has been deleted..
    They wouldn't cut into the sniper update just to show off the spy for later. I'd say they're combined, which makes this next update look huge. Sniper and Spy updates, plus three new maps= me needing to upgrade my computer.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    Day 4 of the SPPPPPPPPPPYYYYY update is up. Not knowing anything about the spy class (I'm only new to TF2), means I have no idea how real these are, or if valve are just messing with us. Also, according to the blog post, the pyro is female "All those conspiracy theorists on the TF forum couldn't have been right all along, could they? When the Pyro hears about this she'll be inconsolable." Part of me really suspects that valve are messing with us. Although it does make sense for the spy's update to be sneaky like that. I dunno. I'm all confuzzled.

Bogus or not?
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Scooper

No Caption Provided

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mracoon

The thing is the Spy had 4 items so they're still two more weapons to be revelaed. This was a great move by Valve though and I hope they do both updates simultaneously. That'll also stop the problem of everyone jumping on to one class after the update happens.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mracoon
    MattyFTM said:
    Day 4 of the SPPPPPPPPPPYYYYY update is up. Not knowing anything about the spy class (I'm only new to TF2), ... [more]
    I doubt it would be bogus. Doesn't seem like something Valve would do.
    Dirty_Harry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dirty_Harry

http://www.teamfortress.com/spyupdate/ suprise

MisterSpiffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MisterSpiffy

The only bad thing about this update is going to be the fact that everyone's going to be playing spy. :\  It's gonna be pretty confusing for a while, but the two new watches look good.

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Crono

I am just really curious about how the Dead Ringer will work effectively.  A lot of people turn off ragdolls, so the minute that someone sees a corpse (if it even loads with dead ringer) they will know what is up.  Also, what about systems like HLX stats?  If someone uses Dead Ringer to feign their death and the person they feigned against doesn't see +points for their death, won't that give them away?  Even so, I wonder if the Dead Ringer displays any kill information in the top-right (idk what that box is officially called, but the one that says X killed Y with Z)

Also, a few blog posts back, they said they were gonna release another update BEFORE the Sniper update... I wonder if we will see the Spy in that?  I am very doubtful (but still hopeful!).  I am sure they are just breaking it into 2 updates so that it isn't just 1 giant update that everyone has to wait in line for.

MisterSpiffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MisterSpiffy

I think it'll be a lot better being crammed into one update.  Can you imagine a game full of snipers, or, when the spy update's released, a game full of spies?

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#21  Edited By dsplayer1010

That came out of completely fucking nowhere.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By pause422

Wow this is awesome, I guess I should of thought maybe they would do 2 class updates in one when they said "The sniper update looks to be our biggest update yet!" and all they showed was about the same amount of content as every other update so far. I wonder what the last sniper weapon and 2 spy weapons will be....god its gonna drive me crazy!

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

These new items look awesome, I like the items that mix up how people play, I'm not yet convinced by the Dead Ringer as standard claoking sounds more useful.  Valve always manage to make this class updates amusing at the very least.  Servers will be full of Spies and Snipers for weeks tho... guess that gives me a chance to get some missing Pyro achievements

Does this mean that the Spy update isn't coming out?  I liked the Huntsman.  I just hope they find something better than the shield to replace the SMG
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    MisterSpiffy said:
    The only bad thing about this update is going to be the fact that everyone's going to be playing spy. ... [more]
    I think the whole point that they're doing the snipe & spy updates together, is so you get some sort of balance. Could you imagine virtually everyone as a sniper? Could you imagine virtually everyone as a spy? Both of these would completely break the game. That is why they are doing them together, so there is some balance that stops everyone being one of these very specialized classes.
    Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By Bass
    MisterSpiffy said:
    The only bad thing about this update is going to be the fact that everyone's going to be playing spy. ... [more]
    Well i think that is why they are doing sniper and spy at the same time. A game with only sniper is absolutely no fun. A game with spy only is just about as fun as that. By releasing two at the same time, they are trying to get a little more variety on release day.
    Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#26  Edited By Crono
    Spy > Sniper
    Spy > Sniper
    skywing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By skywing

so when is it coming out guys!??!

Niche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By Niche

It's coming out tomorrow, the 21st.

MadeinFinland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By MadeinFinland

can't wait! THis looks insane! What are you guys going to jump onto first? I wonder what the servers will be like - a bunch of pyros on the pyro-update is one thing, but spies and snipers?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.