Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Crew

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Dec 02, 2014

A single-player and cooperative driving game that takes place throughout the United States, developed by Ivory Tower.

"Wild Run" Expansion?

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By whitegreyblack

I had a crazy thought last night: "I bet The Crew is about 10 bucks right now and I could grab and beat it over the weekend and just avoid most of the co-op stuff."

Lo and behold, I started looking into it and discovered Ubisoft is releasing a new, not-quite-full-price SKU of The Crew with an expansion called "The Crew: Wild Run Edition". I had not heard a single whisper of this expansion before stumbling across it.

A less-than inspiring trailer says there are new vehicles, a new "Summit Competition" and improved graphics.

I suppose this is just par for the course for the business model for this style of game? This reminds me of how Activision/Bungie's Destiny: The Taken King is a "year 2" release to bring together the base game with new content and re-release a year-old MMO game.

What say you?

• Does the Crew warrant a re-release?
    • Did the game sell enough to justify it (I mean - I guess it must have)?
    • If you've played The Crew - would this bring you back; and, if you have never played before - does this entice you to give it a shot?

It does not look to me like this expansion does much to change/improve the gameplay of The Crew in a way that The Taken King does to Destiny (and even then, The Taken King could not drag me back into Destiny after playing it at launch). Actually, this release might do the opposite of what Ubisoft intends for a late-adopter like me: because I am a crazy person I might wait another year to buy The Crew until this new Wild Run Edition is also down to 10-20 bucks. Although, if the content is all multiplayer focused, I'll just get the cheap base game, play that, and be done with it.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#2  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

The Crew had problems, but if they gutted the pay-to-play bullshit, it could have been a good game. As it stands, putting the cars at ludicrously high prices so that the player is encouraged to buy tokens outside of the game in order to have a decent shot at winning is just dumb. Until they fix that, The Crew as a re-release or any of its potential sequels isn't something that interests me.

Macka1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I, like you, waited until The Crew was at a discount price before taking the plunge. I'm a sucker for open-world driving - I'm one of those weirdos who actually likes the car races in games like GTA and Sleeping Dogs. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it, though I completely ignored the online components in favour of playing solo. I was able to purchase with in-game credits more than enough cars to suit me with coin to spare, though I could see how a collectionist, or just someone wanting a particular model of car, could be slighted by the real-money aspects.

As for the expansion, I think I'll again wait until it drops a bit before picking it up. Dirt is my favourite spec, but there's more than enough content in vanilla The Crew to stave off my appetite until the inevitable discount.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By whitegreyblack

I could not tell from the trailer whether there is actually enough single-player content to make the Wild Run expansion edition worth it to me. I figure I'll probably just get a used copy of the base game since the graphical upgrade will probably still come to it via a patch; and the graphical upgrade seems like the only thing the expansion brings to the table that I'd want.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.