Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Bethesda Aware of Texture Issues on Skyrim for Xbox 360

• 185 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek

The launch of a new game from Bethesda Softworks typically means a period where the kinks (the ones that Bethesda can reasonably address, anyway) are being worked out.

Players have been reporting texture streaming issues on The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim for Xbox 360, resulting in some lower quality textures never being replaced by their better looking counterparts.

What are people talking about? This.

Bethesda admits it's a problem, specifically as it relates to the Xbox 360 version being installed.

“We’ve seen a few reports of certain textures temporarily scaling down on the Xbox 360, and not scaling back up,” said the studio on its forums. “We have verified that this issue does not occur when playing off the disk and when the game is fully cached (not installed). Skyrim makes heavy use of the Xbox 360 caching system, and caches over the normal course of play while in menus or interiors. This cache can be wiped when other games are played or when the user manually removes it.”

Of course, not installing the game means you’ll have to deal with longer load times, so there’s a decision in front of potential Skyrim players staring at their Xbox 360 discs after work today.

Bethesda said a title update is in the works to address this issue, but there’s not timeframe for it yet.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek

The launch of a new game from Bethesda Softworks typically means a period where the kinks (the ones that Bethesda can reasonably address, anyway) are being worked out.

Players have been reporting texture streaming issues on The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim for Xbox 360, resulting in some lower quality textures never being replaced by their better looking counterparts.

What are people talking about? This.

Bethesda admits it's a problem, specifically as it relates to the Xbox 360 version being installed.

“We’ve seen a few reports of certain textures temporarily scaling down on the Xbox 360, and not scaling back up,” said the studio on its forums. “We have verified that this issue does not occur when playing off the disk and when the game is fully cached (not installed). Skyrim makes heavy use of the Xbox 360 caching system, and caches over the normal course of play while in menus or interiors. This cache can be wiped when other games are played or when the user manually removes it.”

Of course, not installing the game means you’ll have to deal with longer load times, so there’s a decision in front of potential Skyrim players staring at their Xbox 360 discs after work today.

Bethesda said a title update is in the works to address this issue, but there’s not timeframe for it yet.

Liv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Liv

Damn Shoemaker. Posting doubting tweets on Twitter, fueling my doubt. However, as old as my 360 is (late 06, early 07) I prefer my Skyrim installed. The loading times quadrupled when it wasn't installed and crashed a couple of times every hour. I'll stick with lower res textures and a playable game until Bethesda fixes things.

Skyrim is still, all things considered, my game of the year. My muse, my lover, my Achille's heal. Bethesda, I am truly your bitch now --if I wasn't already before, with Oblivion and Fallout 3.

Edit: But it did mean I got my first comment on a GB post. So, yay Bethesda!

Frenden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Frenden

Those of you that have it for the Thrixty, how bad are the uninstalled load times?

rustyspoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By rustyspoon

Hmm, so what does it mean if I'm having similar issues without having installed the game?

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BonOrbitz

Thanks Bethesda. Now what about the butt-load of issues the PC version is having?

drew327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By drew327

360 and PC are covered, what kind of PS3 issues are we seeing?

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King

Why not just refuse to install it? I've never really had problems with load times in noninstalled games (I refuse to count Duke Nukem Forever simply because the problem seems to be with the game itself).

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Contro

What a mess.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rattle618

If you give a shit about this:

1. You are an idiot.

2. You should have bought the PC version.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

@Rattle618 said:

1. You are an idiot.

3. You're a 12 year old. You, specifically.

kidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By kidman

Well that's a fuck up. Also, how about all those people in forums saying there's no way Skyrim is only 3.8 GB.

MrMuscle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MrMuscle

Well damn, im not sure i want the longer load times though so i might just keep it installed.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By zeforgotten

@Rattle618 said:

1. You are an idiot.

Wait so people are idiots because they bought the 360 version and want it to look good? Or are they just idiots because you couldn't think of something smart to say?

Sn1PeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sn1PeR

@bonorbitz: What PC issues? Crossfire/SLI scaling is pretty bad, but that will be fixed on the driver end. Aside from menu scaling in eyefinity (fixable using memory hacks found on the WSGF for now) I haven't run into any issues (~6-hours in).

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#15  Edited By MeatSim

Looks like I will have to suffer through longer load times and loud disc spinning for a while.

Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Zabant

@Rattle618: No sir, YOU are an idiot.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Th3_James

PC VERSION....

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By louiedog

If you have a fast external drive you could install it to that. Because the game will be loading from and caching to different places this shouldn't be an issue.

theuselessgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#19  Edited By theuselessgod

Anybody have an estimate on the load time improvements? Fallout 3 and Oblivion were AWFUL if you didn't install them, almost unplayable. How does this roll? Just trying to make a decision here. :P

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BonOrbitz

@Sn1PeR said:

@bonorbitz: What PC issues? Crossfire/SLI scaling is pretty bad, but that will be fixed on the driver end. Aside from menu scaling in eyefinity (fixable using memory hacks found on the WSGF for now) I haven't run into any issues (~6-hours in).

People are reporting numerous issues with the sound being extremely faint, there are weird rubber banding artifacts occurring, GTX 580 usages aren't being fully utilized on i7 systems, extremely low FPS on higher end systems, mouse issues that need to be fixed by tweaking the ini file, low rez texture problems similar to the 360s, and the Steam service is overloaded when trying to install from the retail DVD (that's a Steam issue)...

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21  Edited By aurahack

@ZeForgotten said:

@Rattle618 said:

1. You are an idiot.

Wait so people are idiots because they bought the 360 version and want it to look good? Or are they just idiots because you couldn't think of something smart to say?

Both!

John-Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By John-Luke

@Rattle618: Have fun with the scraps of a game clearly built for consoles.

Also, I can't directly click on the title of this story from the homepage.

Moridin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Moridin

It seems this issue sticks around even if you install it and then delete the install. Or at least it does for me, heh.

I installed last night, got the texture bug, and decided to do some testing.

I uninstalled, cleared my cache, started playing from the disc, and it quickly reared its ugly head again.

The bug seems to be caused by the menu in the game, which blurs the game behind the text when you open it. If I load a save from the main menu, the textures look great. The second I open and close any menu that uses the blur effect it comes right back. It's like the menu blurs everything, but then some things never go back to the way they were before the menu was opened.

I reinstalled the game to get my swift load times and quieter 360 back. It's still odd how some people are getting the bug without having ever installed and others are having no issues at all, installed or not.

Anywho. Gameplay + story > graphics, as we all know. So now I need to return to melting faces in the land of Skyrim. I'm just hoping the title update is swift, so Skyrim can be a pretty place like it should be.

Cheers, gents.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By ShadowSkill11

I don't give a shit. I play the PC version in 1080p on Ultra. I'm good to go.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BonOrbitz

@Crunchman said:

@Rattle618: Have fun with the scraps of a game clearly built for consoles.

Awwww, but some of us nice folks got the PC version also! :(

Hammerjelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hammerjelly

I guess I'll just play it off the disc until they patch it, then install it. No big deal.

gregoryc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By gregoryc

The first thing I did was install the game to my hard drive. The lower textures aren't terrible, but they're clearly visible here. Hopefully the update will not take too long.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By rethla

@bonorbitz: And that would be?

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BonOrbitz

@rethla said:

@bonorbitz: And that would be?

Those of us who don't call people "idiots" on forums?

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#30  Edited By Claude

Don't they test for these things or do they just say, "Fuck it, we're going gold!"

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Rattle618

@ZeForgotten: @PrivateIronTFU: @Zabant: @aurahack: I have to spell it out then, ok:

This is a game that has one of the strongest modding communities around, if you were so concerned with the quality of the graphics (which should not be the reason you get a TES game in the first place) you should have taken that into account and bought the version of the game that actually supports all that customization. I think it`s great that this game came out on consoles, but you should expect this kind of thing from such old hardware.

You wouldn`t try to run this maxed out on a crappy 5-year-old video card on a pc would you? Then you shouldn`t be expecting this to be flawless on your xbox/ps3.

2kings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By 2kings

I second. Motion carried.

LiquidPenguins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#33  Edited By LiquidPenguins

Finish your fucking games before you release them.

Rekt_Hed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By Rekt_Hed

#just a hint of sarcasm ;)

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ptys

Shows how demented the whole fanboy thing is as I was on forum comparing the PS3 to Xbox with screenshots as I was deciding what version to buy and some of the comments were "Xbox 360 textures clearly look better"? Rose coloured specs really can work wonders. I couldn't tell the difference so I got the PS3, lucky I didn't take his advice, LOL.

confideration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By confideration

I remember Halo 3 when it came out - Bungie told people to play it off the disk for better performance... the outrage was amazing

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MideonNViscera

I saw the shittier textures and they're definitely preferable to long load times to me.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By Afroman269

At least they're fixing it.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

@Rattle618 said:

@ZeForgotten: @PrivateIronTFU: @Zabant: @aurahack: I have to spell it out then, ok:

This is a game that has one of the strongest modding communities around, if you were so concerned with the quality of the graphics (which should not be the reason you get a TES game in the first place) you should have taken that into account and bought the version of the game that actually supports all that customization. I think it`s great that this game came out on consoles, but you should expect this kind of thing from such old hardware.

You wouldn`t try to run this maxed out on a crappy 5-year-old video card on a pc would you? Then you shouldn`t be expecting this to be flawless on your xbox/ps3.

How in the hell did you completely miss the point of this article? It's astounding. So basically what you're saying is that if we have a game with good textures, and we load it up, and those textures don't show up like we thought they would, we have no right to complain because we didn't buy it on PC? Even though this kind of stuff rarely, pretty much never, happens on consoles, we should expect it because it's not a brand new PC? You really are 12.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By zeforgotten

@Rattle618 said:

You could have just picked option B and said "I called everyone idiots because I didn't have anything smart to say" because it clearly looks like that you didn't

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh yeah i guess that's happening to me

i didn't really notice

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#42  Edited By 234r2we232

A Bethesda game that doesn't work properly? THIS IS SHOCKING. Maybe it'll be better by the time the GOTY edition comes out...

Gordo789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Gordo789

@Rattle618 said:

Derp? They're patching it. it's all good.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#44  Edited By OldManLight

@RustySpoon said:

Hmm, so what does it mean if I'm having similar issues without having installed the game?

you find the answer to this you let me know,

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

Hmm. Install, possibly have bad textures. 
    Don't install, load times, 360 sounds like jet engine.
    Install please.

Helgi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Helgi

Skyrim is only 3.8 GB? What?

enemymouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By enemymouse

I hope they patch a hardware mouse into the PC version. I tried the vsync and acceleration tweaks but the pointer is still laggy as all hell.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By TomA

I've been waiting 5 years for this game. I really don't give a shit about a few textures for a couple days.

The_Big_Rough

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By The_Big_Rough

@TomA said:

I've been waiting 5 years for this game. I really don't give a shit about a few textures for a couple days.

Damn straight, if a few textures put you off from playing Skyrim I feel sorry for you,

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @Rattle618 said:

1. You are an idiot.

Pretty much this. It will get fixed, sooner rather than later methinks. But really, if you had a mind to buy Skyrim before release, is this really gonna stop you? Of course not, because it's Skyrim.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.