Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

How do you spice up your Skyrim experience and keep it exciting?

• 88 results
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I'm like 30-35 hours in and I'm kinda getting tired of the game. 

for the past 10 gameplay hours it's been nothing but riding my horse around the world, discovering the various locations, each one is scarier, colder, lonelier and darker than the last, clearing crypts and caves which is getting rather tedious and intense, and taking quests which all feel.. insignificant and repetitive. 

Should I focus on the main story quest a little more? (I'm not doing that because I thought what the world has to offer is more interesting). Should I focus on a guild questline?  
    What else is there to do? 

I've also been running into a lot of extremely powerful enemies which is making me, all of a sudden, really vulnerable during combat. Pretty sure I'm leveling up/perking stuff just fine..! 

I mean, I get it, the world of The Elder Scrolls is perilous and full of dangers, but there's gotta be more to it than constant vicious near-death fights with underground skeletons and mountain mages. Getting tired of the continuous traveling and fighting.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@AhmadMetallic said:

I'm like 30-35 hours in and I'm kinda getting tired of the game.

Really? How? I'm 100+ hours in and feel like I've maybe seen 25% of the game.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By shiftymagician

According to steam, I'm 75 hours in and I'm still not tired of it, but I can see where you are getting at.

Honestly if you are getting tired of it, just take a break and/or play a different game. This isn't a game that everyone can complete (at least the major questlines) in one set of sittings in a row. You can easily go away from it like a friend I know is doing, then come back to it again once you feel the urge to dive back in. The quest log will be there to remind you what you have to do so you don't have to worry about not knowing what to do.

Orangefreak92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Orangefreak92

I play naked.

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By matthias2437

Yeah I felt like that after I played 80 hours in 8 days. I love the game to death and it is by far my GOTY, but I do feel like I need a break. I am just going to give it a couple of weeks then get back in and finish up the thieves guild and dark brotherhood.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @ShiftyMagician said:

According to steam, I'm 75 hours in and I'm still not tired of it, but I can see where you are getting at.

Honestly if you are getting tired of it, just take a break and/or play a different game. This isn't a game that everyone can complete (at least the major questlines) in one set of sittings in a row. You can easily go away from it like a friend I know is doing, then come back to it again once you feel the urge to dive back in. The quest log will be there to remind you what you have to do so you don't have to worry about not knowing what to do.

That's a good advice, but my question still stands, how did you keep those 75 hours entertaining and diverse? Less roaming and more long story-driven quests perhaps?
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Hizang

@AhmadMetallic: You should jump in and out of guild quest lines and the main quest line as you play the game, if you stick to little quests I can understand why it would become boring. Maybe start playing it different and using a different form of attack, turn into a vampire/wear wolf and possibly become an evil character?

Also don't feel bad about becoming bore after 30 hours, isn't that a decent time to have fun with a game? I personally wish I COULD become tired of it, because I would love to play more of Saints Row, Super Mario, MW3 and U3.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By Claude

I'm 30 hours in and just started chopping peoples heads off. I'm good. Don't fuck with me when I'm questing.

antonyhawk65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By antonyhawk65

I'm surprised no one's made a roleplay joke yet.

But seriously, roleplay.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By SlightConfuse

i recommend doing one of the questlines, sometime s hving a more focused experience is a good thing

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#11  Edited By fox01313

Going into one of the Jarl's court or other high official place in the game, make sure that most of the stuff in there is not something that gets labeled stolen, then shout at them that they need to be more like what it's like in Medieval Times so that means I'm taking all the plates/bowls. ( After that I just go through the rest of the place to take everything not marked as a stolen item. ) Whirlwind sprint after getting on top of the long dinner tables is damn funny too.

Also go to Solitude & look for a old man walking near the graveyard, the item you get from this also is great for keeping things interesting.

Lastly going through areas & staging fighting matches between a pair of mudcrabs, chickens, goats, ect. with the fury spell & trying to figure out who'll win.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MikkaQ

Just do quests, it's where all the fun is. Exploration gets boring without some fun narrative to guide it along. Main quest, companions, the civil war, all have been awesome so far and keeping the game fresh.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Pick a quest and finish it through. Pick another one and do it again. During the process you are guaranteed to pick up at least five more quests. Do those ones next. So far every quest has been interesting, and even the smallest miscellaneous quests have turned out to be some pretty crazy shit. Follow those arrows man. Go visit a major city that you haven't been to yet. If you snoop around enough, there is usually some heavy stuff going on.

@fox01313 said:

Lastly going through areas & staging fighting matches between a pair of mudcrabs, chickens, goats, ect. with the fury spell & trying to figure out who'll win.

Someone make a Pokemon mod right the fuck now! You also just helped me find a new fun thing to do with a spell I never really used.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @AhmadMetallic Do quests, talk to people, explore, try new weapons or spells, make a new character, learn alchemy or blacksmithing, climb mountains etc. Do whatever you want! Maybe the game just isn't for you? I remember you saying you liked Oblivion so the reason as to why you aren't enjoying this is strange.
    GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GunnBjorn

It's like reading Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's 'Gulag'. It's heavy , both in bulk and content. Reading it for an extended period of time will make you feel miserable. Quit playing this game and do something else for a while. Either play another game, go out for a stroll, make yourself a snack, etc. The simplest of advise, but the most efficient, I guess.
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By shiftymagician

@AhmadMetallic said:

@ShiftyMagician said:

That's a good advice, but my question still stands, how did you keep those 75 hours entertaining and diverse? Less roaming and more long story-driven quests perhaps?

Oh that hehe.

My solution was to start my first (and still current) character as a complete hybrid class. I raise the level of most of my skills but only add the perks that most benefit the hybrid playing style (like only one lane in enchanting, heavy armour perks in smithing, just enough levels to get the 'heal stamina as well' perk in restoration'. That allows me to have tons of options at my disposal during both combat and which quests I could do. I can sneak attack and kill some dudes with my dagger, then assault the rest with a frost atronarch, a force shout then whack them with my sword and shield. I crafted my sword with chance of paralysis enchanted to keep things in my favour.

As for stories and quests, I tend to literally play them the way that they are intended. For the thieves guild, I liked going through missions where it's possible to kill no one and the act of succeeding in that regards is a thrill in itself for me (no invisibility used as that would be too easy and isn't really needed when you are good with the sneak skill). Also I am a bit of a fan of the lore of the game so doing daedric quests like Azura's quest and that one quest in Markarth satiates my lore needs. The main issue of this game that will divide people is that yes most missions do end up involving some combat and depending on how you built your character, it will be either very predictable or dynamic. I've kept my build dynamic but melee-centered characters might get bored since of course all you do is swing and block to win. Perhaps if they added a parry system to perform counter-hits that can be done by both you or the opponents to keep the players on their toes it would have easily made the fighting feel more active.

Last but not least, I just love the atmosphere. Seeing the landscapes coupled with the musical score was truly an amazing thing for me in the first few hours and I believe the effect will still last for a long time. Also it's nice that I can finally roam around the world without worrying about an enemy in every few metres like Oblivion, so I can just soak it all up.

How I play and what I find great about this game will not be the same for everyone, but I have been waiting ages for a game like this to come around again because honestly there isn't much around like it. It is being able to do everything I've described above whilst still knowing there is still more to do that makes me keep playing a game like this. Hope my answer gives some insight as to how at least one person can play for this long and still keep going. Also (this may also be a factor) I just got into my holidays after finishing my final semester of my Undergraduate degree and sorely needed something to sink my teeth into which, coupled with my eagerness to play this game, also explains how I can play so much and keep going hehe.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#17  Edited By turboman

Mustard.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By ajamafalous

Definitely focus more on the quests, either the main story or any of the guilds.

KimChi4U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KimChi4U

When I find I'm starting to get tired of the game, I take a break. When I come back, I set a goal or two to accomplish and that usually gets me interested again. FinishIng a quest is a good goal, but I also like to set goals like: craft a new set of armor, or make a bunch of health potions or even pickpocket 20 random dudes.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#20  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I'm taking a break for a while so I don't burn out completely. I did, however, ask people to recommend me the craziest and most game changing mods for Oblivion so I could write something up about that at some point.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By Commisar123

I make up my own backstory and flavor my responses, cuz I'm strange like that

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JonSmith

@ShiftyMagician said:

For the thieves guild, I liked going through missions where it's possible to kill no one and the act of succeeding in that regards is a thrill in itself for me (no invisibility used as that would be too easy and isn't really needed when you are good with the sneak skill).

I applaud you, sir. My instincts to kill anyone (and everyone) who might see me in the Thieves missions ended up getting me caught many a time. That said, I kept killing whenever possible if I thought I could get away with it. Hail Sithis, etc.

As for how did I spice up my time with Skyrim? Took a brief break to play Saint's Row: The Third. The games crazy, but a tad short on the main storyline. Perfect for a nice relaxing break from the near infinite world that is Skyrim.

Avatar image for bjorntheunicorn
    BjornTheUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BjornTheUnicorn

Invite another person to your bedroom.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@Hizang said:

@AhmadMetallic: You should jump in and out of guild quest lines and the main quest line as you play the game, if you stick to little quests I can understand why it would become boring. Maybe start playing it different and using a different form of attack, turn into a vampire/wear wolf and possibly become an evil character?

Also don't feel bad about becoming bore after 30 hours, isn't that a decent time to have fun with a game? I personally wish I COULD become tired of it, because I would love to play more of Saints Row, Super Mario, MW3 and U3.

This is great advice, keep your head fresh this way and there's always other games to play if you need a break.
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By emem

I'm 43 hours in and it's still as exciting as it was at the beginning. It feels like I've barely scratched the surfice, I'm probably not even 5% in the main quest and haven't done that many side quests either. And I actually didn't buy a horse (so no riding around), I walk/run/shout to locations where I haven't been before and it feels great. The quests I've done so far were all pretty amazing and not repetitive "yet" (except for "get that staff"). I found some things that made me feel like I'm the only one who's ever seen them and the fact that I felt really good about it is kind of disturbing and amazing at the same time. Games usually don't have that effect on me anymore.

Having said that, when I'm experiencing that fatigue in a game (it doesn't matter how good it is) I usually stop playing for a little while and try to get back in when I feel like it. I've tried playing games that bored me in a different way, but that just doesn't do it for me... games like Skyrim aren't games that everyone can play for a longer period of time (you already played 30-35 hours which is plenty), most people can't. And I think that's fine as long as you have made up your mind about it.

Marnox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By Marnox

As someone already suggested, roleplay. This is a roleplaying game so play the way it is "meant" to be played. It is so foreign go me to just play this game like some dungeon crawler hack & slash adventure game, The Elder Scroll series is as far from that as possible.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Hizang

@TaliciaDragonsongsaid:

@Hizang said:

This is great advice, keep your head fresh this way and there's always other games to play if you need a break.

Yea, I would also say that Skyrim isn't a game you should try and do all the quests in one go, play as much as you want, then take maybe a week or so break and play some of the other fantastic games out, then go back into it.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @slightconfuse said:

i recommend doing one of the questlines, sometime s hving a more focused experience is a good thing

@XII_Sniper said:

Just do quests, it's where all the fun is. Exploration gets boring without some fun narrative to guide it along. Main quest, companions, the civil war, all have been awesome so far and keeping the game fresh.

@wolf_blitzer85 said: 
    Pick a quest and finish it through. Pick another one and do it again. During the process you are guaranteed to pick up at least five more quests. Do those ones next. So far every quest has been interesting, and even the smallest miscellaneous quests have turned out to be some pretty crazy shit.
     @ajamafalous said:
    Definitely focus more on the quests, either the main story or any of the guilds.

Yeah, I guess I got carried away with the addictive exploration. I should take it easy and see what the social world has to offer. Somehow I gravitated towards typical quests mostly, like "clear out this cave/vampire nest and save the town/go find my item" that I got kinda turned off. I guess I need to look for more better ones. 

@TurboMan said:

Mustard.

Only you understand me, turbo man. 
    CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CaLe

This game needs the correct mindset to be enjoyed fully. You need to be in the mood for something very big and deep and have the time to dedicate to it. Having patience for it will greatly increase your enjoyment, like reading the journals for the dungeon you explore, taking time to look around it and see what story it has to tell (some don't have this though). I made the mistake of finishing the main storyline and have now lost interest so I don't have that patience any more and I'm simply not enjoying it even half as much as I was before. I always have this problem with games. If I finish the story then for me the game is just done, even if 90% of it is side stuff.

briangodsoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By briangodsoe
    @Hizang said:

I have a copy of Metal Gear Solid HD collection and Deus Ex Human Revolution that I just bought sitting unused in my pile. A few friends of mine that I play Battlefield 3 with are harassing me to play. I'm too busy clearing dungeons, smithing, and slaying dragons to care.
    swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By swoxx

The dark brotherhood is probably the coolest quest line in the game. the main quest sucked in my opinion. I feel the same way you do. I think I got burned out because nothing you do has any impact on the game world.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Swoxx said:

The dark brotherhood is probably the coolest quest line in the game. the main quest sucked in my opinion. I feel the same way you do. I think I got burned out because nothing you do has any impact on the game world.

Yup, yup, yup.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Ravenlight

@JonSmith said:

As for how did I spice up my time with Skyrim? Took a brief break to play Saint's Row: The Third. The games crazy, but a tad short on the main storyline. Perfect for a nice relaxing break from the near infinite world that is Skyrim.

I did the same thing. SR3 is ridiculously over-the-top in a way that cleanses the palate of Skyrim, so to speak. Now I'm ready for a break from SR3 and am going to dive back into Skyrim.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jeffsekai

I could see how you could get bored of it, seeing as it isn't the same as BF2.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BraveToaster

@takayamasama: Yeah, I hit my 100 hour mark and I haven't lost interest.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Arker101

It sounds like you're burning yourself out on it. Take a break or turn the difficulty down.

@XII_Sniper said:

Exploring for the sake of exploring isn't for everybody. I do it all the time but, I'm also talking to every single person to find every singe quest.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jetsetwillie

i play other games.

just picked up Burnout Paradise for my PC and have been play a few hours of that over the weekend. its been a nice pallet cleanser

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Ramone

Whenever I get hit in the game I have to stab/burn/freeze/electrocute/e.t.c myself.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#39  Edited By ajamafalous
    @AhmadMetallic said:
    @slightconfuse said:

@XII_Sniper said:

@wolf_blitzer85 said: 
    Pick a quest and finish it through. Pick another one and do it again. During the process you are guaranteed to pick up at least five more quests. Do those ones next. So far every quest has been interesting, and even the smallest miscellaneous quests have turned out to be some pretty crazy shit.
     @ajamafalous said:

Yeah, I guess I got carried away with the addictive exploration. I should take it easy and see what the social world has to offer. Somehow I gravitated towards typical quests mostly, like "clear out this cave/vampire nest and save the town/go find my item" that I got kinda turned off. I guess I need to look for more better ones. 
    Yeah, definitely sounds like you got caught up in a ton of sidequests, which are admittedly rather dull. The questing strength of the game lies in its quest lines, not its one-off fetches.
    Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I like to pretend my character is a serial rapist.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @AhmadMetallic: Here's what i do, i take big two handed barbaric sword and i go around with my Nord dude bashing peoples faces in with it. 
    @GunnBjorn said:
    It's like reading Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's 'Gulag'. It's heavy , both in bulk and content. Reading it for an extended period of time will make you feel miserable. Quit playing this game and do something else for a while. Either play another game, go out for a stroll, make yourself a snack, etc. The simplest of advise, but the most efficient, I guess.

The problem is. You don't stop playing Skyrim, Skyrim stops playing you.
    dirtyharry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By dirtyharry

@AhmadMetallic said:

Getting tired of the continuous traveling and fighting.

if you don't like the fighting try a different weapon type. Traveling isn't a big deal in Skyrim. Use the horse cart to get to cities. After 30+ hours you should have enough locations to get most places quickly...

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#43  Edited By KowalskiManDown

I'm 90 hours in and starting to feel the burn. Think I'll just take a break from it for a while. I got Assassin's Creed & Saints Row to play!

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#44  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @AhmadMetallic
    Stick only to the major quests, ignore all miscelaneous bullshit.
    Basically just do the important storylines/factions/guilds. Not the "go kill bandit leader" stuff.
    Don't go into dungeons unless you are there for a quest.
    Simply tramping every dungeon you see will get boring fast.

Also personally I roleplay just a little tiny bit.
    Some shit my hardcore nordic warrior just does not do.
     He ain't no goody two shoes, but sacrificing a person who trusts in him, in cold blood, is just not cool in his book.
    Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#45  Edited By Dagbiker

Kill every 15th person you see

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Hitchenson

160 hours in and I've still got the Companions and Mages College left to do. The bombing it around the world, doing nothing and ending up in insane encounters or finding some weird quest in a cave etc. is what I love, so I've pretty much been doing that and one off side quests. Main quest was coo', Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood were both pretty amazing. I still feel like I've seen a tiny amount of the game and I'm level 51. I need to roll more characters yet and do it all again, after I do it once. Going to be such a massive playtime down the line.

chawliemurphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By chawliemurphy

anal

MsAtheism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MsAtheism

@Hitchenson: Wow.... that's a lot of hours in 2 weeks! I've only been able to put 30 hours in due to live mostly getting in the way (ie. work, school, friends, boyfriend) so for me it's really hard to be bored of it because it's so damn exciting to play! But what I generally do is do a quest but explore places along the way and just have a good balance between random exploration, crafting and questing. As long as you don't do the same thing for hours I don't think there is a way to get bored! And magic is so much more exciting than melee. And sometimes it IS just funny to screw with people. It's where a lot of fun came in Oblivion too!

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Hitchenson

@MsAtheism: Work is no longer an issue after getting laid off, gotta hand it to them, they picked the right time to let me savour in that sweet, sweet unemployment.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By DonPixel

Perhaps you are focusing to much on the Miscellaneous quest, I have 30 hour so far and 50% game competition as I'm focusing on the Main quest and Guild stuff. After that I'll do some misc stuff and If I get bored I'll just going to wait to the DLC. There is no doubt a lot of games to play around.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.