Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

How do you spice up your Skyrim experience and keep it exciting?

• 88 results
    tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By tekmojo

Spawn a couple dragons inside dragonreach, sit back and enjoy the show..

MsAtheism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By MsAtheism

@Hitchenson: Ahhh.. gotcha. That is really amazing timing. not going to lie, I'm a little bit jealous.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By Nux

I started a second character that has a much different fighting style has my first character. I mostly just mess around with my second character and try to make my own story for him. Its a fun way to play the game without haveing to play the game if you get my drift.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

60 hours in and I've only finished the Mage College questline. I've sort of poked at the Main Quest, and I'm slowly working through the Dark Brotherhood, but for the most part I just travel and see shit.

I never fast travel, by the way. I like the experience of trekking across the countryside, gathering ingredients for potions or for food. It's sort of like role playing, I suppose, but I haven't really considered my. Haracter's backstory or lifestyle. I just wander and take the world in.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#55  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Dagbiker said:
    Kill every 15th person you see
    10th is better
    Then you are basically decimating Skyrim
    hur hur
    wubb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By wubb

The guild/main quests and the daedra quests are many of the more interesting ones. I've been peppering my play with them at least every few.

Jerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By Jerr

Sounds like you're going around just doing the one-off quests, which anyone will get bored of eventually. Do the story or a guild quest and get somewhat engaged in the fiction. It's better than hunting for nirnroot, trust me.

Pop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#58  Edited By Pop

Weird that you find hard encounters maybe you shouldn't be there, start doing quests at around the starting place go to inns ask around if you see people arguing go talk to them that's usually a good quest, sometimes a quest starts out as miscellaneous then turns out to be a great adventure. After you get powerful enough try fighting stuff with a completely different weapon that before it's cool.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#59  Edited By tearhead

Sometimes I bring food or toys into the mix. I've even thought of bringing in another videogame, but I don't think Skyrim will go for that...

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Example1013

I hit it with my axe.

Lord_Rahl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Lord_Rahl

I collect things. Like unique items and books for my bookshelves. I also collect people and place them in my basement storage room at my house in Solitude with the master conjuration spell "dead thrall". lol I have a collection of sorts, from master necromancers to just savage warrior type characters. Who ever gives me alot of trouble becomes part of my collection. Kinda sick I know. lol But my Master Necromancer is quite useful. Not only can he carry unlimited weight for me, but he also kills just about everything in one or two hits. He killed me three times before I finally killed him and added him to my collection. Thats just a side hobby for when I get somewhat bored. The game its self has still got me very interested.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#62  Edited By Dagbiker

Rollplay, use toys, also Threesomes, but mostly rollplay

plaintomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By plaintomato

The boredom and repetition feeling seems unlikely to happen to anyone who didn't play Oblivion and the Fallouts, but almost unavoidable for anyone who has already put a lot of time into those games. It's really the same thing with a new coat of paint, which works great for some shorter games, but not so well when you already have 300 hours looking at the past coats of paint, after which, Skyrim can feel repetitive quickly.

Skyrim is awesome, but it might be worth it to go play Dark Souls for awhile if you haven't already.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#64  Edited By jorbear

Play one handed...

If you know what I mean.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#65  Edited By JasonR86

@AhmadMetallic:

Well, when I play Bethesda games after I've reached the level cap and/or I've finished all the quests I usually kill everyone in every town. That's pretty exciting.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#66  Edited By golguin

Increase the difficulty. I also started to play my dark souls ng+ again and I rediscovered the joy of dying.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#67  Edited By ThePickle

Join a Guild, depending on what character you are. Mages go to the College, Thieves do Thieves Guild, Tanks do Companions. Dark Brotherhood also appeals to the sneak. I'm pretty sure all of these places have repeatable quests that help me combat boredom. Also, talk to innkeepers and ask about rumors. Get married, buy some houses, randomly rob some shopkeepers, do the main questline to learn some sick shouts, and talk to people in towns.

Also, if you're running into trouble in caves and whatnot, it probably just means you're not supposed to be there yet. There is no shame in running out of a dungeon because the boss is wrecking your stuff.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By TheMustacheHero

No Crosshair, HUD Opacity zero, No subtitles, No Music, Don't do the main quest, set it to master difficulty, be a mage.

Have fun!

JokerFrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By JokerFrown

My suggestion? Pop in Saints Row The Third. After that craziness for a few hours, Skyrim is perfect and relaxing.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By DystopiaX

Try different builds, explore more shit.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#71  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

Man, I cam in wondering if I should pick up this game, I won't. My problem with these games is they feel like offline MMOs. I got bored with Fallout after 20+ hours also. The story and fighting just never do it for me. Judging from most responses, this is a pretty much a roleplaying game... I rather do that in WoW.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#72  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

I take Skyrim out occasionally, show it a good time, buy it dinner and go bowling, whatever.

I listen to what Skyrim wants, I don't just worry about my needs.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#73  Edited By ZenaxPure

To be honest OP, my way of fending off any sort of boredom or whatever has basically (without me even realizing it until earlier this day) boiled down to me sinking an entire day into the game without any real breaks (and by day I mean from one free moment until I pass out that night) and then playing other games for a few days without even touching Skyrim, it's been a pleasant experience doing it this way as I always feel excited to get back into action when I go back to it.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#74  Edited By Jayzilla

I bring it flowers every now and then.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By mordukai

@AhmadMetallic: Welcome to the wonderful world of Elder Scrolls. 30-60 hours of actual gameplay, 270-240 hours of walking or riding. There you go, 300 hours of gameplay.

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By BasketSnake
    logan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By logan3

I'm about 165-hours in and think I'm pretty much finished ...

I think I'll play it again next year after a combination of patches, mods & new content are released.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#79  Edited By Chris2KLee

I made two characters, one is walking a more respectable line, while the other is up to his neck in dirty deeds. Bouncing between the two is keeping it fresh even after 58 hours.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By cstrang

@AhmadMetallic said:

I'm like 30-35 hours in and I'm kinda getting tired of the game. for the past 10 gameplay hours it's been nothing but riding my horse around the world, discovering the various locations, each one is scarier, colder, lonelier and darker than the last, clearing crypts and caves which is getting rather tedious and intense, and taking quests which all feel.. insignificant and repetitive. Should I focus on the main story quest a little more? (I'm not doing that because I thought what the world has to offer is more interesting). Should I focus on a guild questline? What else is there to do? I've also been running into a lot of extremely powerful enemies which is making me, all of a sudden, really vulnerable during combat. Pretty sure I'm leveling up/perking stuff just fine..! I mean, I get it, the world of The Elder Scrolls is perilous and full of dangers, but there's gotta be more to it than constant vicious near-death fights with underground skeletons and mountain mages. Getting tired of the continuous traveling and fighting.

I'm around 80 hours in (wait... Have I really spent 3 waking days on this game..?) and have finished all of the major storylines: Dark Brotherhood, Thieve's Guild, Main, and Civil. I've even finished all of the Daedric quests but one, according to the Wiki. What I did was switch up my weapons. I played through the first chunk of the game using two-handed weapons (ending on my big, beautiful enchanted Daedric Battle Axe...), then I switched to one-handed and something else, and started mixing in a little archery. I dunno, it was enough to keep me relatively interested the whole way through, but the wandering started to wear on me. I might go back when the Wiki becomes more complete with quests...

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#81  Edited By dethfish

I make back stories. My character is the kleptomaniac, amnesiac Khajiit Queen. I don't think the Khajiit have a queen but that's not really important. I also have Lydia following me currently but I gave her some big ass helmet and armor so now she is the faceless and mysterious knight who follows me.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By MideonNViscera

I don't. I need to find a way. I haven't even done any quests really, and I'm lvl 35 and bored as fuck and sick and tired of loading screens. Takes me longer to sell loot from a dungeon than it does to clear it. Why oh why couldn't they just load the damn interiors when they load the city? Gah!

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#83  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @cstrang said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

I'm like 30-35 hours in and I'm kinda getting tired of the game. for the past 10 gameplay hours it's been nothing but riding my horse around the world, discovering the various locations, each one is scarier, colder, lonelier and darker than the last, clearing crypts and caves which is getting rather tedious and intense, and taking quests which all feel.. insignificant and repetitive. Should I focus on the main story quest a little more? (I'm not doing that because I thought what the world has to offer is more interesting). Should I focus on a guild questline? What else is there to do? I've also been running into a lot of extremely powerful enemies which is making me, all of a sudden, really vulnerable during combat. Pretty sure I'm leveling up/perking stuff just fine..! I mean, I get it, the world of The Elder Scrolls is perilous and full of dangers, but there's gotta be more to it than constant vicious near-death fights with underground skeletons and mountain mages. Getting tired of the continuous traveling and fighting.

I'm around 80 hours in (wait... Have I really spent 3 waking days on this game..?) and have finished all of the major storylines: Dark Brotherhood, Thieve's Guild, Main, and Civil. I've even finished all of the Daedric quests but one, according to the Wiki. What I did was switch up my weapons. I played through the first chunk of the game using two-handed weapons (ending on my big, beautiful enchanted Daedric Battle Axe...), then I switched to one-handed and something else, and started mixing in a little archery. I dunno, it was enough to keep me relatively interested the whole way through, but the wandering started to wear on me. I might go back when the Wiki becomes more complete with quests...

How is that possible? Defeating the packs of tough hard-to-kill enemies that gang bang you relies heavily on leveling up one kind of weaponry until it can save you later on. I can't believe that you've progressed so far in the game and, consequently, faced some really hardcore boss-like enemies, without maxing out a single weapon type.
    MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By MideonNViscera

Eh, my one-handed isn't very high, but my enchantments, smithing, and sneak attacks make up for it.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By mandude

@AhmadMetallic: I'm even further in and I don't have any skill at all maxed out. They seem to go up extremely slow...

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By cstrang

@AhmadMetallic said:

@cstrang said:

How is that possible? Defeating the packs of tough hard-to-kill enemies that gang bang you relies heavily on leveling up one kind of weaponry until it can save you later on. I can't believe that you've progressed so far in the game and, consequently, faced some really hardcore boss-like enemies, without maxing out a single weapon type.

My two-handed was at 100 when I switched over, and when I was getting my butt kicked I would never hesitate to bust out my battle axe and swing away. My armor was all enchanted Dragon Bone, then enchanted Daedric Heavy Armor (Heavy Armor skill was also pretty high at the point I said "Fuck it"). With that kind of armor rating, the only real threats were mobs of magic users, ancient dragons, or the occasional pesky Deathlord and his crew (simply because of being shouted down). It's kind of amazing how powerful you can make stuff in this game. I think the only thing I use regularly that I found is DragonBane, and whatever jewelry.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#87  Edited By Vinny_Says

I had done almost all of the main quest, finished the guild quests and was finally begining to thin out my quest log. I was getting maybe a bit bored but then I snuck up on a sleeping dragon and killed him with one hit of my assassin's blade....

....I'm ready for another 80 hours of skyrim now.

xSeanZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By xSeanZx

KY You and Her Intimate Jelly?

Nicolsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xseanzx: Find a chopping board.Windhelm. Gather wood. Trek to Whiterun over emcumbered. Sell wood to crop harvester in town. Journey back to Windhelm sell crops bought and watch skyrim crumble. Next GO hunting with your werewolf friend. TO BE ANNOUNCED in FALL. EAT IT pigs

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.