Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 21, 1998

The first 3D Legend of Zelda game, Ocarina of Time was created for the Nintendo 64 in 1998 and introduced innovative mechanics such as Z-targeting as well as many of the series' other trademarks. It has frequently been ranked as the greatest game of all time by many publications.

Retro Look: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time *sob* *sob*

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By TwoLines

No Caption Provided

So what can I say about this game that you haven't already heard? The franchise started off with The Legend of Zelda for the NES in 1988 (or Zelda no Densetsu for the Famicom in 1986). It featured a boy named Link on a great adventure to save Princess Zelda from the evil Ganon by collecting pieces of an artifact known as the Triforce.

It wasn't a really convoluted plot- but the gameplay was groundbraking to say the least. You could go wherever you wanted to, buy items, explore dungeons, and so on.

Then came Zelda II, four years later Zelda on the SNES- and finaly Zelda on the N64. And here we are- 1998, the game is called the best ever, and we just got our hands on this legendary piece of software!

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By TwoLines

No Caption Provided
    So what can I say about this game that you haven't already heard? The franchise started off with The Legend of Zelda for the NES in 1988 (or Zelda no Densetsu for the Famicom in 1986). It featured a boy named Link on a great adventure to save Princess Zelda from the evil Ganon by collecting pieces of an artifact known as the Triforce.
    It wasn't a really convoluted plot- but the gameplay was groundbraking to say the least. You could go wherever you wanted to, buy items, explore dungeons, and so on.
     Then came Zelda II, four years later Zelda on the SNES- and finaly Zelda on the N64. And here we are- 1998, the game is called the best ever, and we just got our hands on this legendary piece of software! Only it's not 1998. Too fucking bad, the game may have been better then.

Now let me start by saying all of this is my opinion, bladitty bladitty bla bla bla. Now that that's out of the way: this game sucks balls. It sucks big time.
    Playing the last two temples was like kicking myself in the nuts for fun. Clarification: I do NOT like to be kicked in the nuts. It fucking hurts. just like playing this game.
    But let me start from the beginning. An innocent time in the game- when all you have is a fairy. Yes, a fairy named Navi. I.. *sigh*.. you know, these jokes are not funny anymore. Yeah, there's this fairy that's pissing you off, talking all the time, flying around, you hate her, so do I, let's move on.

>>Insert Navi joke here
     >>Insert Navi joke here
    Avatar image for twilit_igniter42
    Twilit_Igniter42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Twilit_Igniter42

I know this is your opinion and you are entitled to it, but to look at it like this seems awfully....um.....naive.  Holding games made in the distant past to today's standards is kind of foolish, don't you think?  (That, or this post is written in sarcasm that went over my head.)  I mean, what would you say about the original Super Mario Bros?  Control is horrible?  You can't go backwards?  Lack of enemy variation?  Yet that game is one of the main reasons video games survived the Crash of '83.

If your age in your bio is accurate, though, I can maybe understand where you're coming from.  As young as you are, it would be hard to appreciate exactly what OoT accomplished since you never really lived through the time of the original Legend of Zelda (you want to talk secrets?   The entrances to some temples were hidden with no clues to their locations!) or the 8-bit era in general.  And you also missed out on most of the 16-bit era too.

You don't like this game, and that is fine.  But I would never go back in time to stop myself from buying it on launch day.  I would argue that you should go back in time and instead, introduce your parents sooner, convince them to do the snake & tube boogie sooner to pop you out sooner so you can experience gaming of the late 80s and early 90s.  You would be more inclined to appreciate what this game was, what it accomplished, and what modern gaming owes to it.

Good read, though ;)

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TwoLines
    @Twilit_Igniter42: 
    Yes, for its time. Exactly. I'm playing it today- and was trying to enjoy it. I did not.
    I played Super Mario Bros, I had a NES, Atari, I played many games on SNES (Including the secret filled Super Metroid) and PS1.
    It's not that I don't like old games, it's just that apparently I don't like Zelda.
    Or adventure games for that matter. I missed out on N64, and thought it would be a good idea to try it out.

Although- I have to say I like Wind Waker (that I'm playing now) more than OOT.
    And the gameplay of OOT is pretty good- as I said in my review, and so are the graphics.   
    It's just the crazy secrets that are pissing me off.

Thanks for the comment mate.
    jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I'm 17 years old and I have never played Ocarina of Time. Two days ago I finally decided to play it, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. As far as the frustrating bullshit secrets go, maybe my years of playing adventure games have built up a tolerance for stuff like that.  

I liked your blog thou. I perfectly understand why somebody would get pissed off at some of the stuff in this game.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Willy105

A fine game. Very revolutionary.

But Wind Waker and Twilight Princess (especially Twilight Princess) makes it look dated.

I recommend playing Ocarina before Wind Waker and TP, or all you will ever see is a great game, and not the game changer it was in 1998.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#6  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @Willy105 said:
    " A fine game. Very revolutionary.  But Wind Waker and Twilight Princess (especially Twilight Princess) makes it look dated.  I recommend playing Ocarina before Wind Waker and TP, or all you will ever see is a great game, and not the game changer it was in 1998. "
    I digress. Maybe it's the nostalgia, but I would rather play through Ocarina of Time than either Wind Waker or Twilight Princess, and will argue that it has yet to be topped in terms of general quality.  Sure, it lacks TEH GRAFIX, but I think it's a better game overall.

I like a lot of things about WW, other than the part where you have to sail everywhere and its kinda easy. The last part where you have to find all the Triforce Shards is 100% pure bullshit though.  Twilight Princess however... tries too hard to be Ocarina of Time and suffers as a result. It reeks of "me too" syndrome, and kind of underwhelms me as a result.  But whatever. Your opinion may vary. All I know is that I haven't exactly been dazzled by any of the newer Zelda games except maybe Phantom Hourglass which I thought was pretty great for the few hours I spent with it. 
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Willy105
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " @Willy105 said:
    " A fine game. Very revolutionary.  But Wind Waker and Twilight Princess (especially Twilight Princess) makes it look dated.  I recommend playing Ocarina before Wind Waker and TP, or all you will ever see is a great game, and not the game changer it was in 1998. "
    I digress. Maybe it's the nostalgia, but I would rather play through Ocarina of Time than either Wind Waker or Twilight Princess, and will argue that it has yet to be topped in terms of general quality.  Sure, it lacks TEH GRAFIX, but I think it's a better game overall.  I like a lot of things about WW, other than the part where you have to sail everywhere and its kinda easy. The last part where you have to find all the Triforce Shards is 100% pure bullshit though.  Twilight Princess however... tries too hard to be Ocarina of Time and suffers as a result. It reeks of "me too" syndrome, and kind of underwhelms me as a result.  But whatever. Your opinion may vary. All I know is that I haven't exactly been dazzled by any of the newer Zelda games except maybe Phantom Hourglass which I thought was pretty great for the few hours I spent with it.  "
    Yeah, I guess it has to do a lot with opinion.

Because I thought Phantom Hourglass was the worst Zelda game made by Nintendo, and Wind Waker would be my favorite of them all, especially for it's great gameplay and polish.
    Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By Siphillis

What's ironic is your main criticism of Ocarina of Time being outdated, while many who played it in 1998 will attest that it was well ahead of its time (pun heavily intended.)  And saying that Ocarina "SUCKS" may have served as a good attention grabber, but it betrays some actual opinions of your review, and paints you as some sort of unappreciative snob which, after reading, isn't entirely true.   

Not unlike Gran Turismo and Final Fantasy, Zelda games have a relatively high barrier for entry, requiring intensive playtime and long hours of contemplation.  Such are the ways of Japanese role-playing games.

Likewise, it isn't for everyone.  But 3D video games were never truly invested in the level of scope, attention-to-detail, exploration, and intelligent design until Zelda went 3D.  I will argue that Mario 64 was considerably more influential, and that Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess were overall more entertaining, but Ocarina introduced Z-targetting, automatic jumping, dynamic weather and day/night cycles, and nearly perfected combat and navigation is a 3D space.   

If you need further proof,  just ask Jeff.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By jeffgoldblum

I play OoT really late and could still appreciate it. It is by no means a terrible game.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By Claude
    @TwoLines said:
    " @JeffGoldblum:  I really disliked the irrational riddles, and crazy secrets. I just got stuck sooo many times. A big no for me. But I see the appeal for those that like to invest some hours into it.What do you read my lord? Opinions, opinions, opinions.. "

Without a guide, given as a gift, I would have failed at this game. The same goes for Majora's Mask, thanks to gamefaqs, I persevered. The Wind Waker was strange to me, because of the sea. Joy was found in plenty as Twilight Princess took me for free, no cheats... just play.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Sounds to me like you were bent on not liking this game before you ever gave it a chance.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.