Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 18, 2011

Link descends from his floating continent home to explore the dark and dangerous world below with the help of a magical sword, in this Wii installment of the Legend of Zelda series.

LoZ: Skyward Sword - E3 Gameplay Demo

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Contro

A meaty gameplay video featuring the three distinct components Nintendo choose to focus on at the show: Dungeon, Boss Battle and Bird Flying. Just as I've always thought, I think they game looks absolutely stunning, the artistic infleunce of impressionism is clear to see in both the games lighting and structure of all models.  

Aonuma-san says his team wanted a stronger emphasis on back-tracking, so the game will see new puzzles opening in areas previously explored, for a less linear approach to the traditional Legend of Zelda framework. He also emphasized how being familiar with certain environments is a key part of the new game. Collecting will also be a prominent feature in this game,  Link will find himself entering an area called "Siren World" in order to do this. When you arrive at a certain currently unnamed location, you sink your sword into the ground to transport yourself to "Siren World". Siren's described as an alternative world where, according to Aonuma, you'll spend a lots of time restoring spirits n' stuff.  

Aonuma-san confirmed that Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword "paints the creation" of the Master Sword, and that the blue character shown is a spirit inside Link's sword.

HQ Trailer 

Wii U Zelda - Gameplay Demo 

Another Nintendo Wii classic seems a certainty:  

"I told Aonuma that if this wasn’t the best Zelda ever, we might have to stop making Zelda games" 

- Shigeru Miyamoto
    Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Gizmo

*Yawn*  

Nintendo should just accept they have lost the hardcore gamer forever due to them rehashing their franchises so often. It really is incredible that with all their infinite resources, they keep shovelling out Super Mario Bros and Zelda games every few months. It's like they stopped putting effort into their software after the GameCube launched.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Contro
    @Gizmo said:
    *Yawn*    Nintendo should just accept they have lost the hardcore gamer forever due to them rehashing their franchises so often. It really is incredible that with all their infinite resources, they keep shovelling out Super Mario Bros and Zelda games every few months. It's like they stopped putting effort into their software after the GameCube launched.

I can only yawn at this comment,  as a  "hardcore gamer" in his late 30's.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By Hailinel

@Gizmo said:

*Yawn* Nintendo should just accept they have lost the hardcore gamer forever due to them rehashing their franchises so often. It really is incredible that with all their infinite resources, they keep shovelling out Super Mario Bros and Zelda games every few months. It's like they stopped putting effort into their software after the GameCube launched.

Obvious troll has never been more obvious.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Gizmo
    @Hailinel said:

@Gizmo said:

*Yawn* Nintendo should just accept they have lost the hardcore gamer forever due to them rehashing their franchises so often. It really is incredible that with all their infinite resources, they keep shovelling out Super Mario Bros and Zelda games every few months. It's like they stopped putting effort into their software after the GameCube launched.

Obvious troll has never been more obvious.

Stop fucking throwing around the term troll to someone who has an opinion that differs from yours. I'm totally serious, Nintendo has been a shit-show for me since the Gamecube.
    galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#6  Edited By galiant

Eh, I don't know. I feel that Darksiders gave me everything I ever wanted out of a Zelda game, why would Skyward Sword lure me back? So far it's not very convincing.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#7  Edited By Icemael

The game looks gorgeous, and I really like what they're saying about optional, hidden item upgrades. Finding the fairy behind the waterfall in A Link to the Past and getting her upgrades is one of my very favorite gaming memories, and I feel recent Zelda games have had too few secrets like that. Granted, finding hidden chests isn't going to be as special as swimming through a waterfall and finding a magic pond with a fairy, but it's better than nothing. 

@Galiant said:

Eh, I don't know. I feel that Darksiders gave me everything I ever wanted out of a Zelda game, why would Skyward Sword lure me back? So far it's not very convincing.

If all you wanted out of Zelda was a dumbed down Devil May Cry, the series was probably never was for you.

Darksiders is like 90% combat. Zelda games emphasize puzzle-solving and exploration.
    galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By galiant

@Icemael said:

@Galiant said:

If all you wanted out of Zelda was a dumbed down Devil May Cry, the series was probably never was for you.Darksiders is like 90% combat. Zelda games emphasize puzzle-solving and exploration.

As you're obviously a Zelda-fan, did you not enjoy Darksiders?

management

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By management

The fact that the dude sucked didn't exactly help.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#10  Edited By Icemael
    @Galiant: It was so-so.
    blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By blueduck

The combat looks like it could be fun but the bird stuff looks boring to me. I just don't know about that art style and that's most likely what will keep me away. 

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By sameeeeam

Game is gorgeous.

paradox121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By paradox121
    @Gizmo said:

*Yawn*    Nintendo should just accept they have lost the hardcore gamer forever due to them rehashing their franchises so often. It really is incredible that with all their infinite resources, they keep shovelling out Super Mario Bros and Zelda games every few months. It's like they stopped putting effort into their software after the GameCube launched.

Taking a quote from the Luigi's Mansion 2 trailer, because Wrighteous86 made a point so eliquantly and so aptly that I think it should just be reiterated constantly whenever people moan about Nintendo games:   

@Wrighteous86  said: 

@smiddy: They've been around for like 30 years, of course their series' libraries will be larger, but in the past 6 years, there has been 1 console Zelda game, 1 Metroid game, 1 Donkey Kong Country game, 2 3D Mario games. In that same span of time, there have been 3 traditional Halo games plus Halo Wars, 2 Gears of Wars, 2 Uncharteds, 5 console Call of Duty games, 3 Rock Bands, 2 Left 4 Deads, 2 Bioshocks, 3 Sam & Maxs, 3 3D Sonic the Hedgehogs. Nintendo isn't innocent of it, look at Pokemon, but I think they're actually better than most current developers with popular franchises, and they have more successful franchises than any other company, too.

You guys act like just because a game uses a franchise that each game should count. I don't consider Mario Kart, Mario Party, or Dr. Mario to be sequels to Galaxy. Nintendo also takes much bigger risks with their franchises. Kirby's Epic Yarn isn't a traditional Kirby game. WarioWare had nothing to do with other Wario games. Star Fox Command plays completely differently from other Star Fox games. Wind Waker tried a new visual style for the game, Luigi's Mansion isn't a Mario platformer. Donkey Kong Jungle Beat had an entirely different control method. They use existing franchises to take risks and try new things. That ensures that the risky attempts will get attention and possibly become successful. They essential create new franchises within existing properties.

I much prefer that to the method of just coming out with a sequel a year later that has "more" every single time, like the non-Nintendo franchises I listed above. The only series out of those that tried something new with their franchise and tried to expand it was Halo Wars, and Microsoft has made it pretty clear they're not looking into doing that again any time soon. I for one have no problem with sequels if they do something new with the sequels that come out. It's rare when a Nintendo sequel comes out on the same console as its predecessor and doesn't try something completely new. Skyward Sword has a lot in common with other Zelda games, but the complete embracing of motion controls is going to make it a pretty different experience in a familiar setting. Nintendo has dozens of franchises and is willing to experiment with them. Companies like Epic focus on one or two at a time, and usually make them very similar and in quick succession.

EDIT: Your point was that Nintendo games constantly get sequels (I bet F-Zero, Earthbound, and Pikmin fans would take issue with that). Yet the game you're referring to is Luigi's Mansion 2, and its predecessor came out 11 years before this game is going to release. In between the original Luigi's Mansion and it's sequel, we've gotten every single Call of Duty and Guitar Hero game ever released, every Kingdom Hearts game, every Halo game, every Metal Gear Solid after the first. Man they're really milking this Luigi franchise.

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By amomjc
    @paradox121 said:
    @Gizmo said:

Taking a quote from the Luigi's Mansion 2 trailer, because Wrighteous86 made a point so eliquantly and so aptly that I think it should just be reiterated constantly whenever people moan about Nintendo games:   

@Wrighteous86  said: 

@smiddy: They've been around for like 30 years, of course their series' libraries will be larger, but in the past 6 years, there has been 1 console Zelda game, 1 Metroid game, 1 Donkey Kong Country game, 2 3D Mario games. In that same span of time, there have been 3 traditional Halo games plus Halo Wars, 2 Gears of Wars, 2 Uncharteds, 5 console Call of Duty games, 3 Rock Bands, 2 Left 4 Deads, 2 Bioshocks, 3 Sam & Maxs, 3 3D Sonic the Hedgehogs. Nintendo isn't innocent of it, look at Pokemon, but I think they're actually better than most current developers with popular franchises, and they have more successful franchises than any other company, too.

You guys act like just because a game uses a franchise that each game should count. I don't consider Mario Kart, Mario Party, or Dr. Mario to be sequels to Galaxy. Nintendo also takes much bigger risks with their franchises. Kirby's Epic Yarn isn't a traditional Kirby game. WarioWare had nothing to do with other Wario games. Star Fox Command plays completely differently from other Star Fox games. Wind Waker tried a new visual style for the game, Luigi's Mansion isn't a Mario platformer. Donkey Kong Jungle Beat had an entirely different control method. They use existing franchises to take risks and try new things. That ensures that the risky attempts will get attention and possibly become successful. They essential create new franchises within existing properties.

I much prefer that to the method of just coming out with a sequel a year later that has "more" every single time, like the non-Nintendo franchises I listed above. The only series out of those that tried something new with their franchise and tried to expand it was Halo Wars, and Microsoft has made it pretty clear they're not looking into doing that again any time soon. I for one have no problem with sequels if they do something new with the sequels that come out. It's rare when a Nintendo sequel comes out on the same console as its predecessor and doesn't try something completely new. Skyward Sword has a lot in common with other Zelda games, but the complete embracing of motion controls is going to make it a pretty different experience in a familiar setting. Nintendo has dozens of franchises and is willing to experiment with them. Companies like Epic focus on one or two at a time, and usually make them very similar and in quick succession.

EDIT: Your point was that Nintendo games constantly get sequels (I bet F-Zero, Earthbound, and Pikmin fans would take issue with that). Yet the game you're referring to is Luigi's Mansion 2, and its predecessor came out 11 years before this game is going to release. In between the original Luigi's Mansion and it's sequel, we've gotten every single Call of Duty and Guitar Hero game ever released, every Kingdom Hearts game, every Halo game, every Metal Gear Solid after the first. Man they're really milking this Luigi franchise.

I must admit, that was really well put.
    herocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By herocide

Combat looks like what I've wanted since Twilight Princess. That dude is really bad at learning attack patterns, though. :/

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Vexxan

Looks awesome, might finally have to get a Wii...or wait for Wii U.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By Meowayne

Aonuma-san says his team wanted a stronger emphasis on back-tracking, so the game will see new puzzles opening in areas previously explored

I think I might just have lost almost all interest I had in this game.
    Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

character models are dog-shit ugly to me but oh well  
    everything else sounds cool, especially flying around and exploring above the clouds, and also a loot / item upgrade element 

theoldhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By theoldhouse
    @Galiant: Because every single zelda game so far was better than darksiders? 

I do not get people who claim darksiders was excellent. Good yes but the dungeons were a shadow of those found in zelda. 

The only game in that style that can claim to be as good as zelda is Okami.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By Claude

I bitched a little bit about Skyward Sword, but I was just in a bad mood. It's a glorious new Zelda game. Plus, I want that gold Wii Remote Plus.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#21  Edited By Hailinel

@paradox121 said:

@Gizmo said:

@Wrighteous86 said:

*Begins slow clap*

Couldn't have said it better myself.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By galiant

@theoldhouse said:

@Galiant: Because every single zelda game so far was better than darksiders? I do not get people who claim darksiders was excellent. Good yes but the dungeons were a shadow of those found in zelda. The only game in that style that can claim to be as good as zelda is Okami.

Sure, that's your opinion. I've only played Twilight Princess and Phantom Hourglass to completion, I've started a few other Zelda games that I just couldn't bring myself to finish. I had a great time playing through Darksiders and everything about it felt more entertaining to me than anything Zelda that I've ever played. You think The Adventure of Link is better than Darksiders, that's great. I don't share your sentiment.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By galiant

@Icemael said:

@Galiant said:

If all you wanted out of Zelda was a dumbed down Devil May Cry, the series was probably never was for you.Darksiders is like 90% combat. Zelda games emphasize puzzle-solving and exploration.

I've gotta say, calling Darksiders a dumbed down Devil May Cry really isn't giving it enough credit. It does a lot of things that it took from the Zelda franchise that Devil May Cry never even touched upon, and those just happen to be the things I enjoyed in the Zelda games I've played that I felt Darksiders did a better job of entertaining me with.

theoldhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By theoldhouse
    @Galiant: It would seem you don't much like zelda (which is fine you know) 

so yeah this wont be for you?
    galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By galiant

@theoldhouse: Yeah, pretty much =P

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ryanwho
    @Gizmo said:
    DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By DeeGee

I only just found out that blonde haired girl is supposed to be Zelda. Has she ever been blonde before? I thought she was just some friend of Link's that kick starts his whole adventure, like his sister getting kidnapped in Wind Waker.

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By SSbabel
    @Gizmo said:
    A Zelda game every few months, okay.
    theoldhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By theoldhouse
    @Galiant: ha 

Man I have to say I was disappointed  death was the new dude in darksiders 2. 

Really want to see famine. That would be hilarious.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ryanwho
    @DeeGee said:

I only just found out that blonde haired girl is supposed to be Zelda. Has she ever been blonde before? I thought she was just some friend of Link's that kick starts his whole adventure, like his sister getting kidnapped in Wind Waker.

She's normally got something covering her head but yeah. It could be Ilia, the girl Link had that weird ass wet dream about in TP. Anyone remember that shit? Fucking bizarre.
    sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By sameeeeam
    @DeeGee said:

Yeah, she was blonde in Wind Waker, Four Swords, Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Tracks. She may have been blonde in Ocarina as well, but my memory fails me.
    Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Gizmo
    @ryanwho said:

@Gizmo said:

You are quoting my profile picture? Is this because I said your beloved Nintendo are hacks?  

Good picture isn't it? Aren't I not a sexy motherfucker?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.