Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Outer Worlds

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Oct 25, 2019

A sci-fi RPG from Obsidian Entertainment in the vein of Fallout: New Vegas.

Obsidian are finally making the spiritual succesor to New Vegas

• 52 results
    CupOfDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Obsidian are finally making another New Vegas style game and, I'm super excited. They also couldn't have picked a better time to announce considering that Fallout name is being dragged through the mud.

Obsidian games don't necessarily have the best track record for sales but, this game has the potential to be massive if they can draw in all the people who just got burned on 76.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Hayt

I personally am not 100% sure on the tone presented in the trailer but if anyone can pull off the funny scifi angle it'd be Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky. If it has anything close to the way RP met mechanics in New Vegas I'll be totally sorted. I also noticed the trailer has Steam at the end so I imagine this is their last hurrah on that platform before moving to the dreadful Windows store. I think they said it was going to have a "tight scope" and compared it in scale to Hellblade. So it's not gonna be New Vegas huge I don't think.

Also worth noting that Josh Sawyer is not involved with this game and he was the lead on New Vegas. Cain and Boyarsky are best known for the original Fallout but this games closest relative will probably actually be the fucking amazing (and now totally functional) Vampire: The Masqurade Bloodlines. The Fallout game is the one that brings in eyes but I am gonna be viewing this as something between New Vegas and Vampire. Which is some great RPG DNA.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

New Vegas is easily top 5 for me. Day 1 buy without a doubt. Also glad to see it's coming out on Steam and PS4 despite the acquisition.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New Vegas is easily top 5 for me. Day 1 buy without a doubt. Also glad to see it's coming out on Steam and PS4 despite the acquisition.

They said their current project would, but future ones would not.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ghost_cat

As much as I have respect for these guys, this looks corny as hell. It's like a bunch of old dudes just discovered Borderlands and Rage for the first time, and wanted to make a game in a similar vein.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@barrock: Ah bummer. Well it's good I can get this one on my platform of choice. I'll probably still begrudgingly support them when their futures releases are Windows store exclusives.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Digging everything about this except the first person perspective. I just don’t really like RPG’s to be first person as anyone knows that half the fun of any RPG is the dress-up of your character. I also think stats get in the way of satisfying first person shooting. Nothing quite as immersion breaking as shooting someone point blank in the face and seeing 2hp pop off cause they’re higher lever than you.

But hey I’m ready. This ain’t proper Fallout but I’ll take any alternative at this point.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I wasnt the biggest fan of New Vegas but i'll give this game a shot. I'm getting Rage 1 vibes from the trailer, hopefully its better than that.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks great definitely intr3sted.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Please let some RPGs stay RPGs. I dont want everything to be Destiny where it's just an fps with some skill trees. You will get your stats dont matter fps with loot from almost any other videogame out there. Let Obsidian be the last hold out of games for people who like crunchy mechanics.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It definitely looks similar to some other things out there, vibes of Fallout and Borderlands in particular, but I have much more faith in Obsidian to actually make this setting, story and cast interesting and worth spending the time with.

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who needs Star-field?

PatODay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Early contender for best styyyyyyle in GOTY 2019. It's like Fallout meets Borderlands and I am very much into that blend.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There’s about a million ways this thing can go bad and the quasi-borderlands tone is certainly the most obvious. But, damn, I want to believe. Hopefully they brought on some good writers and they don’t forget they’re making an RPG.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BrainScratch

Fallout: No Man’s Borderlands

What they’ve shown so far looks and feels extremely corny and cheesy and not in an intentional way. I’m not really a fan of the visual style either. There’s something about the trailer that feels like they played Fallout, Borderlands, No Man’s Sky, and Destiny and decided to copy only the worst parts of each game. I hope I’m wrong and it turns out to be a good game.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@hayt: I mean that’s what I’m saying and I’m right there with you. I would love this to be third person with turn based combat and critical shots.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looked really rough tbh. I'm disappointed.

shorap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’m on board. I trust Obsidian when it comes to characters and world building. With MS backing them hopefully Obsidian will have the time and resources to release a polished game.

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sarnecki

Do the people saying "it looks corny" get that the corniness is intentional? I don't think there's accidental cringe here. They know what they're doing with the tone.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Tennmuerti

It looks more like it's own thing then anything to do with Fallout, which is good a good thing because it means they are going for their own tone here for the universe without any unnecessary baggage.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By redwing42

I'm a sucker for anything using "The Passenger" in its media presentations, so I guess I'm in. I love that song.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was pretty surprised this was them at the end, 'cause it looked a lot more like Borderlands than New Vegas.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks awesome to be honest

superslidetail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm getting Fallout/Borderlands/Prey/Bioshock/Cyberpunk?/with a sprinkle of NMS here lol. I'm in and excited for this!

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

This is the first game announcement in some time I've been cautiously excited for. Absolutely love New Vegas, as well as much of Obsidian's output, so this has the potential to be fantastic.

That said, most of my favorite franchises have just been kind of a disappointment for the past few years, from Persona to Fallout, to WoW, so it's hard for me to get *too* excited these days. So I'll just go with "I would like for this to be good!".

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks like everything I ever wanted. This and Cyberpunk and I'm all sorted.

ltcolumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ltcolumbo

@ghost_cat: those old dudes are one of the reasons Borderlands and Rage existed.

This looks fantastic and has rocketed to the top of my most-anticipated list.

Wandrecanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

So the new Borderlands looks nice huh?

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By pweidman

I've loved previous Obsidian games, KOTOR 2, and FO:NV especially, and that trailer has left me wanting more info. Hopefully we get a good dose of that fantastic writing and story telling in The Outer Worlds. Also great to see that it will be available for all platforms. Very exciting news from Obsidian, no doubt.

EDIT: GI has a 15 min. gameplay trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3cRpYGVPsU

Steam has a pretty detailed description of the game too.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pweidman: Thanks for posting that, seems neat.

bongchilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks great. I love Fallout NV and would love a modern RPG that is not all just fighting but one that actually give the player options. It looks like this might finally be it.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BoOzak

@pweidman: I like the amount of dialog options and there seems to be a lot more back and forth than New Vegas (I swear some of those characters talked at you for like 15 minutes without letting you chime in) but I wish they went for Mass Effect/Witcher camera angles instead of the direct face to face staring contest. I realise thats how Fallout games were but it was creepy then and it still is now. Anyway, looking good regardless.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is wonderful news! (♥ω♥*)

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
    deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Highlight of the show for me when it came to the announcements, really excited to learn more about it.

@pweidman: Thanks for the link!

Edit: I like the bright art style quite a bit and I love the [DUMB] dialogue options, guess I've got a pretty juvenile sense of humour but this hits the mark for me. The fear system seems a bit different too. #tentativehype

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You weren't kidding, this looks so much like fallout i wouldn't be surprised a lawsuit happens.

I keep hearing good things about new vegas, but i didn't really like 3 and 4 wasn't great either so i never bothered playing it.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Sweet Jeebus, this has me excited.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hayt said:

@humanity: Please let some RPGs stay RPGs. I dont want everything to be Destiny where it's just an fps with some skill trees. You will get your stats dont matter fps with loot from almost any other videogame out there. Let Obsidian be the last hold out of games for people who like crunchy mechanics.

I definitely want More New Vegas and a lot less Fallout 4 in this game. I like stats and encumbrance and durability. I like when games have enemies that are likely to kill me if I'm too low level; I also like when I can still beat them with some creativity.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New Vegas remains for me as one of the best RPGs of all time.

I really hope that Obsidian get the attention that they need from now on.

Color me hyped!

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, that gameplay sure makes this game look waaaay more like Fallout, unlike the trailer which had some serious Borderlands vibes. Hell, it has "energy" and "VATS". Can't say I'm a fan of the old conversation system though. They even have abrupt perspective changes in there, so you can't claim it's sticking to the silent first person protagonist for immersive reasons.

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Loading Video...

It looks really like Fallout, and I'm more interested in it than any Bethesda Game Studios' games. With the pedigree of ex Black-Isle and Obsidian people, this should be good, at least the story. But where's Matt Rorie's Alpha Protocol 2 though?

Avatar image for cursethesemetalhands
    CurseTheseMetalHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hate the Borderlands tone. I mean, I like Borderlands, but find that tone, the 'humor' they try to color everything with to be incredibly grating. It's not funny. It's not clever. I just expected better from Obsidian.

Cure_Optimism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah the humor in the trailer wasn't the best. I'm not big on hype, but I'm glad this is coming out. I'd like to see more before I'm fully on board, though. How big the world is, the quality of the quests, writing, variety in weapons and armour, combat, and RPG systems.

MrHadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I don’t know about that shooting. Something looks completely off about it. I’m intrigued as I love seeing a new IP more often than not, just not so cringeworthy.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By glots

I don’t mind the humor, definitely not as obnoxious as in Borderlands, especially two. If anything, I’d rather go for Tales From The Borderlands. Everyone didn’t like that one either, but it was the best BR title I’ve played.

That aside, I’m all for a sci-fi shooter with aliens that isn’t as boring as Destiny and hopefully even has a story worth a damn.

ChaosOrdeal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I fear that Other Worlds is going to be a "spiritual successor" to Pillars of Eternity, not Fallout, and, despite critical acclaim, I thought PoE was dull with a painfully DUMB story. Who is going to try to solve all of the murders that I had to commit to solve this murder?

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaosordeal: To me, one of the big issues with PoE was how painfully solemn and serious it always was. The Outer Worlds trailer suggests that at least that won't be a problem this time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.