Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Sims 3

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Jun 02, 2009

Electronic Arts follows up to the hugely successful Sims 2 with an improved character creation system, an open neighborhood, and a greater focus on character development.

So, who got Sims 3 on launch day? Who plays it on a Mac?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool
    I assume there was a worldwide release of Sims 3.  I got my copy today.  Who else did and what were your first impressions?

PC/Mac front cover.
    PC/Mac front cover.

I was very happy to get it due to the fact that it plays on a Mac.  All PC games should do this.  Sure, I could boot up Windows on the other partition, but I prefer not to.  

I might add here that I don't play Sims games.  I don't really care to.  My daughters however, love it.  It is school holidays, so I thought it was a good idea to give it to them for the cold & rainy winter days we are having.  

It took about 30 minutes to load the disc, so don't so it if you are in a hurry  :-)  According to my daughters, it is awesome.  The level of customisation options appears tremendous.

Anyone else about to get the game?
    nexas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By nexas

I picked it up. Its pretty fun, but they removed a lot of stuff from 2 and its expansions. Its also kinda different because when I picked up 2 the game had been out for a few years and a very large modder community, but seeing as how this game came out that same community isn't there.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @Nexas: since i never played 2, this should be really awesome for me. 
    i want to pick it up for my macbook. 
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By oldschool
    @Nexas said:
    " I picked it up. Its pretty fun, but they removed a lot of stuff from 2 and its expansions. Its also kinda different because when I picked up 2 the game had been out for a few years and a very large modder community, but seeing as how this game came out that same community isn't there. "
    You are the community  :-)  In at the ground level.

It won't take EA long to milk the franchise with expansion packs.  People either love them or hate them.  My daughters love them.  All that matters really.  I think they simplified some of the contols didn't they?  On the other side, they seem to have added a hell of a lot more personalities your characters can have.
    Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Steve_C

I haven't played the sims since the original which was rather fun back in its day. It seems weird hearing about just how much its evolved from there.
    It should be fun, but i don't intend to get it.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By oldschool
    @TwoOneFive said:
    " @Nexas: since i never played 2, this should be really awesome for me. 
    i want to pick it up for my macbook. "
    I have a Macbook, but an entry level one.  I am curious to see what happens if I install it.  I am guessing the grphics card will not let it run.  It runs perfectly fine on my iMac with a Dual Core 2.16GHz processor.
    Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Marzy

My mum is probably one of the biggest Sims fans there are and she got her copy yesterday. Words can't explain how excited she was for it, she was like me when I got Super Mario Galaxy.

She didn't think it was as good as The Sims 2 at first, as she thought there wasn't as much things to do and some of her favourite objects, like the hot tub didn't make it into it (which was even in The Sims). She's really liking it now though, but she still thinks it could have been better.

I had a little go of it and thought it was great. I was overwhelmed by the amount of customization though.

joshs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By joshs

I got my copy a few weeks ago. It was fun for a bit but I got bored with it.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By oldschool
    @Marzy said:
    " My mum is probably one of the biggest Sims fans there are and she got her copy yesterday. Words can't explain how excited she was for it, she was like me when I got Super Mario Galaxy.She didn't think it was as good as The Sims 2 at first, as she thought there wasn't as much things to do and some of her favourite objects, like the hot tub didn't make it into it (which was even in The Sims). She's really liking it now though, but she still thinks it could have been better.I had a little go of it and thought it was great. I was overwhelmed by the amount of customization though. "
    I was stunned by the level of customisation as well.   You can make anything pretty much any colour you could ever want.

I think fans of Sims 2 will take a while to adjust as there were so many expansion packs on it and now on Sims 3, it is back to aquare one.  I doubt it will be too long before everything grows wildly.
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Dalai
    @JoshS said:
    " I got my copy a few weeks ago. It was fun for a bit but I got bored with it. "
    Strange since it only came out on Tuesday you damn, dirty pirate!

Anyway, I got to see some of it today and it's totally The Sims so I'm excited.  I'll be getting it in a month or so.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By oldschool
    @Dalai said:
    "@JoshS said: 
    " I got my copy a few weeks ago. It was fun for a bit but I got bored with it. "
    Strange since it only came out on Tuesday you damn, dirty pirate!Anyway, I got to see some of it today and it's totally The Sims so I'm excited.  I'll be getting it in a month or so. "
    Why the wait?

For those who enjoyed Sims 2, I can see why they would be stoked to play something essentially new.  It looks very good.  Me, I would rather spend my time on Civivlisation IV.  Now I wont get near the computer for a while  :-(  I will have to play the Wii instead  ;-)
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Dalai
    @oldschool said:
    "
    @Dalai said:
    "@JoshS said: 
    Strange since it only came out on Tuesday you damn, dirty pirate!Anyway, I got to see some of it today and it's totally The Sims so I'm excited.  I'll be getting it in a month or so. "
    Why the wait?

For those who enjoyed Sims 2, I can see why they would be stoked to play something essentially new.  It looks very good.  Me, I would rather spend my time on Civivlisation IV.  Now I wont get near the computer for a while  :-(  I will have to play the Wii instead  ;-)
    "
    Well... it's impossible to play The Sims 3 on a 6 year old PC and I'm not pulling the whole "buying a PC game I can't run on my current rig" game like I did with Spore.

I'll get it when I have a PC that can actually run it... and hopefully that will be in a month or so.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By oldschool
    @Dalai said:
    "
    @oldschool said:
    "
    @Dalai said:
    "@JoshS said: 
    Why the wait?

"
    Well... it's impossible to play The Sims 3 on a 6 year old PC and I'm not pulling the whole "buying a PC game I can't run on my current rig" game like I did with Spore.I'll get it when I have a PC that can actually run it... and hopefully that will be in a month or so. "
    6 years old - damn  :-(

I was looking at Spore as well as it is half price, but I kind of blew my budget on games - big time.  The fact that Spore and Sims 3 run on the Mac is a big plus for me - no booting up windows.  It would run on Windows if I had to.  Good luck getting a new PC.
    joshs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By joshs

Reason I wouldn't pay for it - I was only interested in the level of customization allowed since they were starting from no expansions again. I played around with it for maybe 3 hours and immediately uninstalled. :P

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By torus

How is the house building in Sims3? That's always what was most fun for me. Is it simplified or anything?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By oldschool
    @torus said:
    " How is the house building in Sims3? That's always what was most fun for me. Is it simplified or anything? "
    Sorry I can't help yet, but when my daughters let me know, I will give you their version.
    Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Giantsquirrel

I like it. I got it on day one and it does everything I wanted the Sims 2 to do.

Still won't pick up the expansions until they're super cheap.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By oldschool
    @Ossi said:
    " I picked it up for my sister's birthday 3 days ago since she is a huge fan. I watched her play it and the new character customization is waaay more detailed with the custom texturing of clothing than Sims 2. Unfortunately it took me the better half of the first day swapping out her DVD drive for a new one because there is a huge issue with the discs. They can't be read on specific DVD drives lasers even though it fits the minimum required specs for hardware. Needless to say the official Sims 3 forum exploded with issues of unreadable discs and the like. A lot of people had solved the issue by uninstalling Sims 2, because apparently the copy protection software on that might interupt the activiation of Sims 3 on some computer setups. ( Yay for non-steam games! )Needless to say I will be picking this game up next week. I really enjoy what they've done and the online is really appealing to me. This game really needed it.I'll test on both my PC and Mac and report back here! "
    I probably had no issues with Sims 2 because it isn't on my hard drive.  Sims 2 was only played on Windows XP in the other partition and even then, it was loaded to an external hard drive due to the massive amount of space needed for all the expansions.

You are right about the customisation.  I mentioned it earlier as well.  It takes hours to create a character if you are fussy about it.  I couldn't be bothered to be honest.
    MrPerfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MrPerfect

I have yet to pick it up and I have not made up my mind if I will or not. 

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By oldschool
    @MrPerfect said:
    " I have yet to pick it up and I have not made up my mind if I will or not.  "
    What will be the factors you use in making your mind up?
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I picked it up yesterday (launch day here in the UK) and I'm quite disappointed so far. It just doesn't seem like a huge leap from The Sims 2. It seems more like The Sims 2.5 than The Sims 3. Sure, it's enjoyable, and I'll get totally addicted to it like I do with all the Sims games, but I was expecting more from a full sequel.

Avatar image for kitsune_conundrum
    kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hear you can put items diagonally now. THAT IS AWESOME!@!

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By Karmum
    @kitsune_conundrum said:
    " I hear you can put items diagonally now. THAT IS AWESOME!@! "
    Yeah, about time. Gives you even more ways to customize your rooms. x_x
    flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By flaminghobo

Didn't get it on release, but I'll probably get it soon. Seems like some good fun.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By penguindust

I picked it up and am a bit into it.  I like it but I've got some worries.  What I really loved about the Sims 2 was all the custom content the Sim community created.  I'm referring to content not available on the official Sims 2 site, but rather the many many fan created sites on the web.  New clothing, items, game modifications and tools increased my interest in the basic game ten-fold and kept me playing through 5 additional expansions (I got involved with WOW at that point and, well...)  So, it's rough playing the Sims 3 now.  They've [EA] added a lot of stuff but also, so much of the game feels like going back to basics.  The styles are so limited and bland by comparison to what the Sims community turned out during the course of Sims 2.  I know there is stuff on the Sims 3 store, but I don't want to get attached to that micro-transaction business model that EA is pushing in this release.  I was hoping the Sims community would have more flexibility in this game since, I believe, it's the after market that keeps this franchise so fertile long after initial release has past.  But, there isn't an external clothing creator like in the last one or a way to import your own images and patterns as far as I've seen so far.  That means that using high quality tools like Photoshop CS to simulate depth and texture on objects will have to wait until someone cracks the game open like an egg and builds a tool that EA provided in the Sims 2.  In short, I don't think I'm really going to enjoy the Sims 3 for at least a year.  For me, the game's fun is less about interaction and more about style, creativity and expression.  That is on hold until I have more options other than EA's scant and dull offerings.

EDIT: I can report that the website, The Sims Resource.com is developing a custom creator tool that will allow exporting and importing of game objects. The Sims Workshop hasn't yet be released, but when it is, it will be free and allow anyone to upload their creations to the site of their choice.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kush

I really want to get it, but I'm not quite sure if it will run on my system...and all the "Can You Run It?" sites are ridiculously unreliable.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By Linkyshinks

Never played a Sims game in my life, never really been interested. AC and Little King Story is more my thing.

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By cloneslayer

my friend bought it at launch then went on vacation so I got to barrow it. Its the Sims all right. I know I'm going to play it for a week then never touch it again. I'm just upset that I know they are going to release a 'Pets' expansion... and a 'vacation' and a 'college', ect...

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By kush

I feel like just taking the risk and buying it even though I don't know if it will run...though I also have a desire to pick up the CE for some reason and I don't know why. I'm such a Sims-whore and my lack of a guarantee that it will run is killing me.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By oldschool
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " Never played a Sims game in my life, never really been interested. AC and Little King Story is more my thing. "
    Mine too LS.  I dabbled in extremely small amounts, but it just couldn't hold me.  Other games appeal more.  On PC, RTS games are more my thing.  Civilisation IV or World In Conflict will trump Sims 3 for me every time.  I can't fault Sims though.  It seems good quality and my dauhgters love it. 

I played The Movies which is a bit similar, and I enjoyed that more.  No-one else did it seemed.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By oldschool
    @Kush said:
    " I feel like just taking the risk and buying it even though I don't know if it will run...though I also have a desire to pick up the CE for some reason and I don't know why. I'm such a Sims-whore and my lack of a guarantee that it will run is killing me. "
    What is your liability?  The CPU, RAM or graphics card?

I assume mine could run on my Windows side of the Mac, but running on OSX is much easier and as I posted in another thread, it runs on my entry level Macbook, albeit with lowering the screen resolution a bit.  That surprised me.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By kush

It's my crappy graphics card...which is what those sites always list as my "fail" hardware...yet I was able to run Oblivion on High even though those sites said I couldn't run the game at all. They said I couldn't run STALKER 1, but I could run that fine...and then they say I can easily run TF2, but I can't run that...This is why I hate PC gaming, especially since I use a laptop. I may just pick up the Civ IV Complete Pack instead. I haven't played a Civ game since the original (besides Civ Rev on X360).

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By oldschool
    @Kush said:
    " It's my crappy graphics card...which is what those sites always list as my "fail" hardware...yet I was able to run Oblivion on High even though those sites said I couldn't run the game at all. They said I couldn't run STALKER 1, but I could run that fine...and then they say I can easily run TF2, but I can't run that...This is why I hate PC gaming, especially since I use a laptop. I may just pick up the Civ IV Complete Pack instead. I haven't played a Civ game since the original (besides Civ Rev on X360). "
    It is a turn-off for PC gaming for me as well.  It is also one of the reason I love my iMac.  I haven't found a game I want that the iMac won't run.  Crysis wouldn't run, but I don't really care.  I change Macs every 5 years and I am 3 years into this, so I expect to make the 5 without missing out on any games I may want.

You can't go wrong with Civilisation IV Complete.  I got mine a long time ago and it can consume you.  Very addictive.  Why do I always play as either English, French, Russian or German?
    Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Dustpan
    @Kush:  Sims 2 doesn't run that awesome on my  computer but Sims 3 runes awesome and there is this whole town with stuff going on i don't get it it should run just fine.
    Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Dustpan
    @Kush said:
    " It's my crappy graphics card...which is what those sites always list as my "fail" hardware...yet I was able to run Oblivion on High even though those sites said I couldn't run the game at all. They said I couldn't run STALKER 1, but I could run that fine...and then they say I can easily run TF2, but I can't run that...This is why I hate PC gaming, especially since I use a laptop. I may just pick up the Civ IV Complete Pack instead. I haven't played a Civ game since the original (besides Civ Rev on X360). "
    I have a Nividia GeForce 8800 if you have anything above or around that your good to go :).
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By kush
    @JustTheDoctor: Who the hell knows...I could run The Sims 2 perfectly without a problem so I don't know what to think, but knowing myself and my love for the franchise; I'll probably end up buying the game. I've been extremely excited for this game for a long time and I just don't think I'll be able to not pick it up.
    Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This came out ? When exactly ? 

stuff is happening, and I'm not catching up.
    Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Dustpan
    @Kush said:
    " @JustTheDoctor: Who the hell knows...I could run The Sims 2 perfectly without a problem so I don't know what to think, but knowing myself and my love for the franchise; I'll probably end up buying the game. I've been extremely excited for this game for a long time and I just don't think I'll be able to not pick it up. "
    What settings can you run Sims 2 on perfectly ?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.