Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Stanley Parable

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Oct 17, 2013

The Stanley Parable is an abstract, psychological, dark and humorous meta-narrative that attempts to make its choices void, journey paradoxical and generate discussion about storytelling in video games.

Stanley Parable Discussion (Spoilers)

• 63 results
    Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
    SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

If you haven't played the Stanley Parable you should leave the thread now, as the whole experience resides on going in blind.

I'm pretty sure I've exhausted all options in The Stanley Parable, but it definitely sticks out as one of the most clever games I have ever played.

Obviously it's not for everybody, but playing this right after playing "Beyond: Two Souls" is perfect, as the game does such a great job of deconstructing that method of storytelling and simultaneously being the exact same thing. There is no reason to Stanley Parable, all options will great you with a restart in the same office.

What makes you want to keep playing is the humor and the dynamic narration, which is absolutely brilliant, and the subtle shifts in the physical geography that are actually quite subtle and easy to miss. For a game about the banality of choice, the actual choices and outcomes are so wildly different that after I had exhausted my options I played through some of my favorites a second time just to see the brilliantly constructed humorous moments again.

Immediately I wanted to come discuss it, but there are unfortunately few discussions on the game that I can find. Did I really exhaust all the options? Really I'm just depressed that there may not be more to see, but I'd like to hear everyone else's experiences with the game, it's definitely in my top 10 for GOTY.

kentobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If you didn't unplug the phone yet, that's a pretty great one. I think I've seen all the major beats at this point. Or at least, the obvious ones. Any great or non-obvious ones to hit?

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I am pretty sure there are a lotta options left for me to discover, but the ones I have have been amazing. The narrator is just brilliant, and the changes of his tone/attitude with every new path is really well done.

The confusion ending was awesome, so much to the point that I'm not sure if it branches, or if how it ends is it. I think that's one of the games most charming aspect is wonder "is that the only end for that path?".

Cargo lift jump is a great ending also :D

SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did you guys hit all of the computer inputs? If you find all five something pretty crazy happens, it's the last piece of content that I found

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By BaneFireLord

I've played about 100 minutes or so, definitely haven't seen everything. This is probably the best game I've played this year, to be honest. The Minecraft/Portal bit was so, so, so fucking good.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By zaccheus

I immediately went into the broom closet and laughed my ass off. I'm now dead. Anyway, I think I have seen ten endings now and don't really know where I would find any more. Amazing game.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Did you guys hit all of the computer inputs? If you find all five something pretty crazy happens, it's the last piece of content that I found

Are they all randomized in the first two rooms or throughout the whole facility?

SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@secondpersonshooter said:

Are they all randomized in the first two rooms or throughout the whole facility?

I think they are not randomized

The first two are in the starting office lobby, but you have to restart or complete the game each time to find them. The third one is at the front desk of Stanley's "boos", the fourth is back in the beginning office lobby again, and the final one is in Stanley's office itself. Keep in mind you have to find each one on a fresh start.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has anyone found more than 10 endings? That's all the variations I could find if you don't count just standing in the office doing nothing and jumping off the platform in the warehouse.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Does the full game feature the same amount of narration as the demo? Because I found it a little over-indulgent in the demo, stretching on well past the point where I simply wanted to get on with things.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By abendlaender

Did you guys get the Broom Closet ending? The Broom Closet ending was my favourite!

@Zaccheus I think I found ~11 so far

The normal good/bad endings
    The red door/blue door endings
    The Apartment ending
    The real person ending
    The Heaven
    The confused Ending
    The Whiteboard ending
    The Making Of Ending
    The Cheater Ending
    I don't know what's up with that elevator that takes forever but doesn't move.

@humanity said:

Does the full game feature the same amount of narration as the demo? Because I found it a little over-indulgent in the demo, stretching on well past the point where I simply wanted to get on with things.

I don't think you will enjoy the full game than, cause the narration IS the game

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

The most confusing moment was when I encountered what I think was a real bug during the ending where the game breaks.

The blue door probably has my favorite stuff, and the red door legitimately made me feel bad. Oh, we could have been so happy. I don't even know if I would have thought to fall down onto that walkway if I hadn't seen it described in the museum.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did EVERYTHING wrong which led to this all this. So I did everything wrong wrong door wrong everything on purpose. This lead to the world breaking down, then the narrator making a new line of world thats all orange and unfinished. He then made an online leader board....which said "A dead Rat is even better than you." this annoyed me. Not the comment but they let me think I was "winning" now the Narrator (really game devs) are now punishing me and now tricking me. Followed with some stuff and a Keep a BABY away from fire game....which when I failed that. I was told "maybe you don't want to be in my game....lets go to someone elses." THEN I WAS PUT INTO MOTHER FUCKING MINECRAFT!!! I couldn't do anything.....I was annoyed cos they had outsmarted me...and did everything that poked at me. Then....then....put me into portal.....this was all punishment...so when the story reset I was annoy and frightened by the punishments. I complied...until....I did somthing wrong...reset...ok...and i am above stanley....above him....at the 2 doors...were it all began....then credits rolled and the narrator pleads with stanley to do anything....I was helpless.

SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just discovered there is an ending for closing the door in your office at the beginning of the game.

I also got that whiteboard ending once but have no idea how I triggered it

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Actually, you're technically not in the same office every time you restart =P I think that is the most brilliant part.

Anyway, I've found a ton of endings, but I don't know if I have found them all. Don't read on if you don't want to know what endings I found.

• Stay in the office. Close the door to initiate this ending at the very beginning. This was unintentionally the first ending I discovered.
    • Jump off into the parking garage below. This is outside the right door that goes to another right door when you are not following directions at all. You just die and start over, with a funny remark about it.
    • Jump off the moving platform to the cat walk below. Same place as the last one. This was probably my favorite ending.
    • Stay on the moving platform then unplug the phone. there are two endings unlocked from this. One of them, though, I think might be broken because it asks you do something and then never responds to you doing it. I'm not sure what's up with that. The other one is another of my favorites.
    • If following the narrators directions, and you get to the stairs, go downstairs. This ending is in the quick look.
    • Turn on the mind control device and then do nothing.
    • Turn off the mind control device.
    • Escape instead. This one was probably the weirdest ending in my opinion. Like the game is meta and this ending is inception meta.
    • The white board ending.
    • The broom closet ending. This is one you just have to talk about, haha

I think that's all I found when playing it yesterday. I'm pretty sure there's still more. I can think of a few options I haven't chosen yet and one of them I think is bugged.

I like a bunch of the endings but following the narrators story seems the weakest to me. Which is interesting, because that was one of the craziest in the original mod.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ravelle

I chose escape " death" after a couple of game loops and alterations and ended up at the credits museum, there's no exit I believe so it's safe to just quit?

Before that I ended up running in circles screaming and dead on the sidewalk and the game restarts.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By zaccheus

@ravelle said:

I chose escape " death" after a couple of game loops and alterations and ended up at the credits museum, there's no exit I believe so it's safe to just quit?

There is an exit on the second floor of the making of museum.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@ravelle: Ya, there is an exit to the museum. That one is super weird.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zaccheus said:

@ravelle said:

There is an exit on the second floor of the making of museum.

Ah cool, I was walking around in circles all confused.

Avatar image for thebeastwithtwobacks
    thebeastwithtwobacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

clicking on a certain locked door five times leads to a pretty great sequence. It was the very first thing I did; couldn't have imagined a better way to start this game

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I found all the ones listed here except for the broom closet and just closing the door. You guys clued me into that.

man, who would have guessed the amount of personality that could come out of a yellow line?

I also spent some time in that elevator... there must be a trick there.

the feedback path was great portal and minecraft and the baby minigame were hilarious

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

I still have no idea how to get the "You can't jump" and "8888888888888888" achievements. I need to know if the "8" button exists in the real game.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I still have no idea how to get the "You can't jump" and "8888888888888888" achievements. I need to know if the "8" button exists in the real game.

For the 8 achievement, just hit 8 a bunch of times on the keypad in the boss' office.

I got the jump achievement when I tried to jump off the walkway when the narrator shows you the "unfinished" part of the game. But I'm not sure if you need to get it there or you just need to hit space bar enough times?

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman said:

@spunkyhepanda said:

For the 8 achievement, just hit 8 a bunch of times on the keypad in the boss' office.

Ah, of course!

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@humanity said:

I thought this, but ended up really enjoying how well the narration was done in the full game. I think the demo does ramble a bit.

Joystick_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Secrets for president 2016.

sqrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Found this on Steam Forums - Bad Spoilers - It's a chart that lists all known endings so far.

The Chart

GIyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By GIyn

@banefirelord said:

I've played about 100 minutes or so, definitely haven't seen everything. This is probably the best game I've played this year, to be honest. The Minecraft/Portal bit was so, so, so fucking good.

When the narrator was building the "house", I thought it was like a secret prison, and I refused to enter because I thought it would lock me up and that would be game-over. But no, the game was'nt that deep.

It didn't do anything when I refused to move or enter the shed thingy. Pretty poor tbh. And that portal radio, I tried carrying it with me whilst it played the music, thinking that would get a response, but the radio just cuts out... again, poor.

Thhey just couldn't keep the first 10 seconds of the game up throughout the entire game.

And in the feedback route, there is no option to not fill in the form.... Everyone hates filling out forms. they missed another trick, you HAVE to press 1-5. Again poor on the developers part.

SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@giyn said:

@banefirelord said:

When the narrator was building the "house", I thought it was like a secret prison, and I refused to enter because I thought it would lock me up and that would be game-over. But no, the game was'nt that deep.

It didn't do anything when I refused to move or enter the shed thingy. Pretty poor tbh. And that portal radio, I tried carrying it with me whilst it played the music, thinking that would get a response, but the radio just cuts out... again, poor.

Thhey just couldn't keep the first 10 seconds of the game up throughout the entire game.

And in the feedback route, there is no option to not fill in the form.... Everyone hates filling out forms. they missed another trick, you HAVE to press 1-5. Again poor on the developers part.

I think you're being a bit nit-picky in a game that's entire crux is freedom is an illusion

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

The narrator is barely singing in the elevator. Dunno how to actually make out what he's saying.

Bam_Boozilled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Bam_Boozilled

@levio said:

The narrator is barely singing in the elevator. Dunno how to actually make out what he's saying.

At one point he says something like "this is getting boring." Which made me think there was an end, but no.

However, This chart makes it seem otherwise. Haven't tried it out yet.

Also of interest: the number 1112800. I first noticed it in the email section in the ... meta ending of the game. Also noticed it on some computers but don't know where it would come in handy.

World's Favorite Paper Clip

Avatar image for renegadesnake05
    Renegadesnake05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Renegadesnake05

Just putting this out there...

I loaded a save that had me standing in such a way that a small sliver of a window was in my F.O.V.

That's when I saw HIM.

No Caption Provided

He's slowly walking away every time I load - in view for just an instant.

Bam_Boozilled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Bam_Boozilled

I also got super paranoid when the narrator said I was being followed after a restart. As I was doing my rounds of ticking off all the computer monitors in the office area, I swear I saw someone run by in one of the rooms that are sealed(on the other side of one of the windows). It was the same office area that Office 420 is in. Could easily have been me seeing things though.

EDIT:

I may not be crazy after all. Paranoia Justified

Extra Edit:

@renegadesnake05: Can't believe you beat me to the punch by 1 minute on that. Bravo.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I just jumped out of the window and did the -console sv_cheats 1 stuff and now I think I'm done. This has been a really fun experience. Also did the speed run thing for some reason and smashed space for the other achievement. Kind of disappointed that there was no narration to those. As pointless as any other achievements.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#35  Edited By sgtsphynx  Moderator

@zaccheus: What ending did you run for the speed run achievement? I tried jumping off the cargo lift and it didn't register.

EDIT: Not sure why this didn't post the first time.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zaccheus: What ending did you run for the speed run achievement? I tried jumping off the cargo lift and it didn't register.

I haven't done that achievement yet, but I would guess you would have to get the true ending.

SpaceBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it not possible to defuse the bomb? Everything else seemed pretty straightforward, but it just SEEMS like there's so much I can do there.

It's eating me up on the inside!!

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dalai said:

@sgtsphynx said:

I haven't done that achievement yet, but I would guess you would have to get the true ending.

Yes you have to go for the true ending. I just ran it a few times. After one time the narrator just let me through the secret door in the bosses office which speeds it up a lot. Also after running through it I started so that the two doors were pretty much in front of me. I think you have to have those two factors in to get a fast enough time. Maybe you can just restart and randomly get the fast spawn, but I'm not sure.

Is it not possible to defuse the bomb? Everything else seemed pretty straightforward, but it just SEEMS like there's so much I can do there.

It's eating me up on the inside!!

I think the point is that you can't do anything. I quote myself from another topic:

I think the whole point of the countdown ending is that you can't stop it. It's the narrators fuck you to the player, so to speak. You know, it's a video game you are the player i.e. the hero and there is million buttons and obviously you just have to solve the puzzle to win... but you can't win; not in The Stanley Parable.

Avatar image for renegadesnake05
    Renegadesnake05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Renegadesnake05
    ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Question:

I just finished the museum ending and have been crushed, after the narrator said I could quit. I paused the game and alt-tabbed out after sitting staring at a black screen for 30 seconds.. the game is still responding, is something going to happen?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@ottoman673: I believe if you push a button you will be reloaded into the beginning of the game.

XxGabxGodxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was playing The Stanley Parable and after finishing the confusion ending, I noticed this:

No Caption Provided

When the game restart after the confusion ending you can see the adventure line in the room 448. The room 448 is in the right door at the first choice

I wonder if this ending can go further.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was playing The Stanley Parable and after finishing the confusion ending, I noticed this:

No Caption Provided

When the game restart after the confusion ending you can see the adventure line in the room 448. The room 448 is in the right door at the first choice

I wonder if this ending can go further.

The adventure line was probably my favorite bit in the whole game, especially the music. Maybe the confusion ending is not really the true confusion ending or the line in the picture means absolutely nothing. Who the fuck knows.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By spraynardtatum

What an amazing game. I think this game offers "choice" in video games in the most organic and fulfilling way I've ever experienced. I loved every second of it.

Also: Best use of achievements in any game ever.

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got the AWESOME Broom Closet Ending. Truly a masterpiece. \

First run also got the "escape" ending and then quit out as the "narrator" told me to.

Also found a random "Employee of the Month" picture by clicking on a random wall painting. The slideshow is spectacular as well.

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravelle said:

Before that I ended up running in circles screaming and dead on the sidewalk and the game restarts.

I thought they missed a small chance in there with the 12345 buttons and the code for the boss's secret door.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By development

Hm. I thought I exhausted the broom closet dialog. Guess not, judging from reactions in here. Oh I'm an idiot. I wasn't paying enough attention the first time.

I also got all those terminals, and I'm wondering... is that it? Just a white room with toggleable lights?

nixoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

but guys the staff lounge tho.

After continually going through the right door to detour through the wonderful, blue colored staff lounge, I noticed something. The only reason I keep taking the door to the staff lounge it because the Narrator keeps telling me how great it is. Every time he would say that this room is calming, and relaxing and I would just keep going there. I realized at some point after he said something like "One can not live without viewing this room" that it was all a trick to make me come back. I was astonished at how it was able to influence me like that, just one of the amazing psychological tricks that makes this game so great.

killzcobra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By killzcobra

Another ending I just found:

The Peer Pressure Ending: Get to the cargo lift, then get on it, and back off. The narrator will say that it isn't coming back, and encourage you to jump down.

fraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found the "red door" ending to be utterly heartbreaking.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.