Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

NEW & IMPROVED 2.0 VERSION

• 60 results
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By valrog
    Chronologist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Chronologist

Sweet! 
    Can't to see what they change/add.   :D

fudge91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By fudge91

What does that even mean? I mean it could be a web 2.0 flash game... :p 

But im guessing they're going to add DX11 support, at least i hope so.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Tennmuerti

Teasing fucking bastards.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ghostiet

These motherfuckers sure know their crowdpleasers.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Skytylz

Sounds interesting, I'm still playing the first one but I'm only in act 3 still.  I probably won't get to this till the end of the year early next year, so hopefully this adds some cool stuff.   

Fingers crossed for a good deal on it during the Christmas sale.  

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Subjugation

Total cock tease.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By mosdl

I just started chapter 1 of Witcher 2, wonder if I should wait now.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By vitor

@mosdl said:

I just started chapter 1 of Witcher 2, wonder if I should wait now.

With all the improvements they already made since the vanilla version, there's no need. You already have a vastly more user friendly experience with better UI, the ability to store goods at taverns, new quests for an already lengthy game and better combat and difficulty curve.

I played it on release, warts and all, and still came away feeling it was one of the best RPGs I've played in years.

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DougQuaid

I'm really glad I held off on playing The Witcher 2 because they patched in so much great stuff and improvements. Now I guess I'll wait for 2.0 to start my second playthrough.

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By ventilaator

Considering what they did with the original Witcher, this could be huge

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I'm halfway through chapter 5 in The Witcher, and buying Witcher 2 in 3 months when i upgrade my PC 

So @valrog:  what is this about? Is the game half-broken like W1 was and this is the "enhanced edition" of it? Or are they making radical unnecessary changes? :(

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Animasta

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

I'm halfway through chapter 5 in The Witcher, and buying Witcher 2 in 3 months when i upgrade my PC

So @valrog: what is this about? Is the game half-broken like W1 was and this is the "enhanced edition" of it? Or are they making radical unnecessary changes? :(

nah, this game is way better than even the enhanced version; dunno what they're really doing actually. I'd rather them announce a tried and true expansion like they said they might

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By iDarktread

Well, since I haven't actually transferred my game save from my last reinstall of Windows, I'm just going to wait until 2.0 gets released and start the game up fresh.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Laketown said:

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

So @valrog: what is this about? Is the game half-broken like W1 was and this is the "enhanced edition" of it? Or are they making radical unnecessary changes? :(

nah, this game is way better than even the enhanced version; dunno what they're really doing actually. I'd rather them announce a tried and true expansion like they said they might

So you're saying that the day 1 product (and the patches of the weeks that followed) = proper game? people are not waiting for a "witcher 2 enhanced edition" sort of patch? 
    Thats good to know that the game isnt broken like W1 used to be. Then i wonder what this is all about.. 

I really dont want them to radically change it and make people who didn't buy it day 1 miss out on its vanilla goodness.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By valrog
    @Ahmad_Metallic: I am not sure, actually. They fixed (most of) the major bugs, so I can't tell you for sure. There's no much room left for improvements that would be so huge. But since it was announced in such a way (Did the other patches got a mention in the video? I don't think they did), it could be something really big. I'm thinking we're going to get a lot of content. And I mean A LOT.

All we can do is wait, I suppose. But damn I can't possibly wait. 6 playthroughs won't be nearly enough (Not that I actually managed to do so, but I know someone who pulled it off..) now...
    management

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By management

@Ahmad_Metallic: Actually, you have to manually update the game from the launcher. I played through the game without knowing of any patches. So if this update brings changes that you don't want, it's just to not update the game that far.

I can't see what they need this 2.0 version for, the game was brilliant with some minor flaws.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

@valrog: Reckon you're completely right with that, mate. After all, so far, every patch for the game has added a little extra something in terms of quests and additional character interaction besides the normal bug/balance/graphic fixes that ofcourse makes up the meat of any proper "patch". These patches have barely even been mentioned, and save for patch-notes on steam and their website, the method in which these patches have been contributed has been very low-key.

Now, from the looks of it, they're making a big deal out of whatever the heck this is. Heck, they're even revealing the full jist at gamescon. In other words, they reckon that they have something significant enough as to warrant an appearance. Now, I don't want to be deploying any spoilers here, but let's simply say that regarding the way the game ends, an expansion or sequal is inevitable.. Or another chapter delivered as per grand and great patch. It's not a bad idea, considering that they aim to be releasing the game for consoles in the beginning of next year. A year after it's computer release, they need to provide console players with a good reason for buying the game other than it just being a port. So, "new and improved, with a complete fourth chapter that continues the tale where The Witcher 2 originally left out."

And bam, seeing as they're only announcing the full content at the end of this month, I reckon that it's going to take at least until October time until we get our paws on it. Around when it would have been released on the Consoles. Makes sense, no?

Also, you totally need to be able to plough Saskia! Just remember her words in that Dwarf's dream, "Come, my hero. Let's fuck in the barn!"

Edit: "Plough", not shag.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By amir90

I don't get it, does it mean that it will be like enhanced edition for the first game? 
    I reckon us people who already bought the game get that as a free update? :D

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By cap123

Could it be all the changes they're making for the console version but in the pc version?

edit: if there is any changes, of course.

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Heltom92

This is suprising, sounds like there will be some significant changes/improvements. Haven't played it much since I finished it in May so I will probably play again when this comes out.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FritzDude

"Soon new & Improved PC version 2.0"

Soon - Quickly, promptly, Within a short period of time.
    New - To see, feel, to experience something never seen before.
    Improve - To increase something, more desirable, more excellent condition, that already excists.
    PC version 2.0 - A big "update" on the already product on the PC platform.

To conclude: It will be released within a short period of time on the PC platform and It will introduce something new and fresh to the table. It will improve the already core mechanics and coding of the product, though nothing like a small patch since they're skipping over the patch numbers, but something bigger.

Is it an Enhanced Edition like the first game? who knows, but only 3 months after the release is a bit doubtful in my opinion.  
    Is it a DX11, PhysiX GPU enabled update to the game, or something similar? Very likely.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@FritzDude said:

"Soon new & Improved PC version 2.0"

Soon - Quickly, promptly, Within a short period of time.
    New - To see, feel, to experience something never seen before.
    Improve - To increase something, more desirable, more excellent condition, that already excists.
    PC version 2.0 - A big "update" on the already product on the PC platform.

To conclude: It will be released within a short period of time on the PC platform and It will introduce something new and fresh to the table. It will improve the already core mechanics and coding of the product, though nothing like a small patch since they're skipping over the patch numbers, but something bigger.

Is it an Enhanced Edition like the first game? who knows, but only 3 months after the release is a bit doubtful in my opinion.
    Is it a DX11, PhysiX GPU enabled update to the game, or something similar? Very likely.

This man has broken it down as best as it can be. No further discussion necessary.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Heltom92 said:
    This is suprising, sounds like there will be some significant changes/improvements. Haven't played it much since I finished it in May so I will probably play again when this comes out.
    You've actually finished an RPG the same month it came out? 
    How is that humanly possible 
    mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mosdl

I could perhaps see them balance the game, the first part was (as everyone says) quite tough, and the tutorial stuff was way too easy to miss (luckily there is a way to view them in the Journal).

I bet for the 360 version they have to do some sort of recap of the first game, possibly ME2 PS3 stye where you can make Witcher 1 choices in it.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By beforet

And here I was about to actually start playing it. Well, I guess I can wait a little while longer.

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By lord_canti

if there improving the graphics im going to kill some one as im already upgrading my graphics card in order to play it XD

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Maybe they are optimizing it more? 

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By bacongames

It's shit like this and Steam sales that spoil people like me into waiting for games instead of buying them day 1. Which to me is a good thing because I never have to deal with day-one bugs and MSRP.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is why CDProjekt is fucking king.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mosdl

One issue I have (in Flotsam right now) is that shadows look really blocky on faces, almost like a quilt. Seems its on purpose for performance, perhaps they can make that configurable.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By nintendoeats

@mosdl: I believe that is called "shadow acne." There are top men of the games industry discussing ways to eliminate this graphical semantic error.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mosdl

@nintendoeats said:

@mosdl: I believe that is called "shadow acne." There are top men of the games industry discussing ways to eliminate this graphical semantic error.

shadow acne is my death metal band name.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

@Heltom92 said:
    You've actually finished an RPG the same month it came out? How is that humanly possible

It's as simple as sticking to 1 game for a bit. Even big 50+ hour rpgs like Witcher1, DA:O, etc can be finished in a couple of weeks if you chew into them.

Also keep in mind Witcher 2 is not as long as Witcher 1.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35  Edited By Marz

Maybe it's a DX 11 patch to add tessellation and whatnot....  Whatever they do, they don't have to do much because the game is great as it is right now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Tennmuerti said:

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

@Heltom92 said:
    You've actually finished an RPG the same month it came out? How is that humanly possible

It's as simple as sticking to 1 game for a bit. Even big 50+ hour rpgs like Witcher1, DA:O, etc can be finished in a couple of weeks if you chew into them.

I finished DA:O in less than 2 weeks, and Witcher 2 in a matter of 2-3 weeks.

Then again, a 40 hour playthrough of my 200 mods game of Oblivion has taken me about 2 months.

It really just depends on the game. Some I like to take my time with, others really suck me in so I finish them ASAP

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Heltom92
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    @Heltom92 said:
    You've actually finished an RPG the same month it came out? How is that humanly possible 
    It's not really that long, although I probably missed quite a few side quests.
    ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ghost_cat

Fuck, I just uninstalled it too!

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @InfamousBIG said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

@Heltom92 said:

I finished DA:O in less than 2 weeks, and Witcher 2 in a matter of 2-3 weeks.

Then again, a 40 hour playthrough of my 200 mods game of Oblivion has taken me about 2 months.

It really just depends on the game. Some I like to take my time with, others really suck me in so I finish them ASAP

Wow man.. I dunno how you have the patience, persistence and mind capacity to take in all the new info the game provides you with, keep on going forward gaining experience points from hundreds of fights and adventures, make potions and loot and sell etc etc.. and not get exhausted and want some "dumb space" (where you shut your mind down and watch brainless TV) every now and then 

I've only been into RPGs since the beginning of this year, but i don't see myself ever having your patience and dedication. I've been playing The Witcher for 2 months (chapter 5 now), and been playing DA:O and Oblivion for even longer than that.. I take a lot of breaks and get tired a lot, those games suck some real brainpower from me.
    JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JerichoBlyth

Great, now it won't be a big pile of shit hopefully.

BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41  Edited By BlackHeronBlue

wouldn't The Witcher 2 2.0 basically be The Witcher 3?

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By emergency

I'm guessing since they are patch 1.35 atm then it'll be like 2.0 with this patch similar to a WoW patch. Wonder what they'll add.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Tennmuerti

@emergency said:

I'm guessing since they are patch 1.35 atm then it'll be like 2.0 with this patch similar to a WoW patch. Wonder what they'll add.

I think it would be neat if they expanded chapter 3

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By Klei
    @Tennmuerti said:

@emergency said:

I think it would be neat if they expanded chapter 3

Oh yessssssssssssssssssssssssss.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By valrog
    @Do_The_Manta_Ray: I wonder if this will take place after the Ending or if it will be somewhere in between. Like @Tennmuerti: said, expanding Chapter III would be awesome.

Also, what do you mean you can't plough Saskia? Awww maaan!! Such a shame.
    Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Sitoxity

@valrog: There is a VERY good reason that you can't do that with Saskia, but I don't wanna point it out unless you've seen it or don't care about spoilerz.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By atejas

So another Extended Edition?
    My laptop's still too crappy to play it, so I've had it sitting on Steam for a month and a half(gah), and I've deliberately been avoiding any news post-release because spoilers, is it as flawed as the original was pre-EE?

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Ghostiet
    @atejas said:
    So another Extended Edition? My laptop's still too crappy to play it, so I've had it sitting on Steam for a month and a half(gah), and I've deliberately been avoiding any news post-release because spoilers, is it as flawed as the original was pre-EE?
    Not at all.
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#49  Edited By Rhaknar
    Gamescon Banner annoucing it

Really curious to see what this has, might do another playthrough if the changes are significant... graphics wise it already looks amazing, and it already stresses most / all pcs on max settings (especially with the ubber setting) so i dont know what else they can do on that side (dx11 support i guess?)
    warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By warxsnake

I still didn't play the other mid-game outcome for witcher 2, just played the campaign once. This will be a good time to go back in

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.