Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released May 19, 2015

CD Projekt RED's third Witcher combines the series' non-linear storytelling with a sprawling open world that concludes the saga of Geralt of Rivia.

How much did you like the previous games?

• 92 results
    Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Well I just pre-ordered Witcher 3 like a fool, so a i like them a ton I'd say.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#52  Edited By Sooperspy

I've played neither of the previous games but I boy does The Witcher 3 look fucking stellar. Will probably be picking it up.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Don't think I played the first one. Or at least I can't remember.

Bought the second one because it looked great. Played it a little. My computer couldn't run it very well at high settings. Combat was weird and hard to get used to. I abandoned it pretty quickly. I went back to it years later to try out and made it farther, but probably not that far. Still looked great and world seemed great but again I didnt really feel the combat.

So I'm definitely going to buy the 3rd one because it looks crazy. Probably won't like the combat unless its been changed.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Loved both of the first two games and I already bought a new video card and pre-ordered the third game. I'm hyped as hell for it and I hope I won't be disappointed.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

The first is hard to go back to, but I really liked 2. It felt like a more focused Kingdoms of Amalur to me, gameplay-wise. It helps that I really like the world, the characters, and the writing.

Can't wait for 3.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Witcher 2 is one of my favorite RPGS ever. Witcher 3 is looking kind of bleh to me IMO. So many failed promises, and that insane graphical downgrade. It just looks far to ambitious for it's own good, and if you ask me if the game was delayed twice something really wrong is going on with that game.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#57  Edited By doctordonkey

Couldn't manage to play the first one for more than 2-3 hours, I absolutely hated the combat. Same deal with the second one. I've always appreciated the Witcher games from afar, but could never get into them. I think they do story really well, and the world is definitely interesting, with great voice acting, but man, I can not stand the combat in either of those games. It just feels so fucking clunky, top to bottom. Could not possibly be less fun.

BoringK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

I liked Witcher 2 a bunch. I haven't played the first one, but it's been in my Steam library forever and someday I'll get around to playing it I will never get around to playing it.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Witcher 2 is one of my favorite RPGS ever. Witcher 3 is looking kind of bleh to me IMO. So many failed promises, and that insane graphical downgrade. It just looks far to ambitious for it's own good, and if you ask me if the game was delayed twice something really wrong is going on with that game.

If so many developers didn't have publishers constantly breathing down their necks we'd see delays a lot more often. I guarantee there are plenty of developers that would gladly delay their games to polish them if they had the luxary to do so. Just look at how many games release broken and barely even playable these days. More games should get delayed.

I'd be far more concerned if they were quick to rush it out the door.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

my personal scores for the previous games at a glance.. 7/10 for witcher 1, 9/10 for witcher 2.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

I got very swept up in the world of the first game, but due to a hard drive failure, never finished it. I liked the second one alright. They are cool games, but that type of RPG just isn't one I can bring myself to pay full price for.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've finished Witcher 1 like 3-4 times. To me that first town adventure was not beaten in anything done in the following games. That feeling of exploring in the dark and experimenting with your powers was never truly replicated. Not only that, I felt like I really connected with the characters, I think I was legitimately worried for Triss a couple of times. Not only that, Witcher 1 I felt like the choices of what to specialize in was quite meaningful, aka beat up people better or monsters, and the upgraded spells felt more potent too.

For witcher 2 the trees kind of seemed silly, it was obvious to me that there is absolutely a best tree and I ended up saving mutagens all the time because I never knew if something better would come up. The overarching story in Witcher 2 was probably more interesting but the town to town nuances were not, and I really didn't feel like I "bonded" with characters as much. Something failed suspense wise, the dragon event felt underwhelming compared to the werewolf. Letho was not ruthless enough for my taste.

Anyway these are nitpickings, I loved both of them and I'm sure I will also love the third one.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gamefreak9: The upgrade system seems a lot more streamlined and easier to work with in The Witcher 3. What you put where won't matter as much (depending on the difficulty you choose), so I'm looking forward to see what they made of it.

I never played the first Witcher, but I read enough about it so that I could play the second game and not be completely bewildered. I love Witcher 2, from game mechanics to lore. It paints a dreary and believable world that pulls you into its crazed workings. I'm really excited for the open world and story of Witcher 3.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Jesus_Phish

I played through the first one and liked it a lot. Then a few days later I tried to play Witcher 2 but hated the combat and never went back to it. I'm not getting Witcher 3 unless I go back and play through Witcher 2.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

I bought The Witcher 1 on steam in 2011 when it was on sale for $2.50, and was surprised at how much I like it. The following year, I built a new PC just for The Witcher 2 which became my favourite game of 2012. Witcher 3 looks like more Witcher 2, but with an open world, which is A-OK with this guy!

VeggiesBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I enjoyed the story in Witcher 1, the rest of it, was hot garbage imo. The second game I enjoyed thoroughly, the story and its choices felt relevant and the combat was good. In any case, I am looking forward to Witcher 3, which is why i supposed i pre-ordered it.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never played the original, but Witcher 2 just never amazed me. I enjoyed it and can without doubt say that it's a really good game, but it just didn't have that x-factor that makes me love a game. I'm sure Witcher 3 will be really, really good but I'm just not pumped for it like I was for Bloodborne.

ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:
    @asilentprotagonist said:

If so many developers didn't have publishers constantly breathing down their necks we'd see delays a lot more often. I guarantee there are plenty of developers that would gladly delay their games to polish them if they had the luxary to do so. Just look at how many games release broken and barely even playable these days. More games should get delayed.

Delaying gets praise nowadays. It's a smoke screen for what's really wrong with that game technically. I suspect the 2nd delay was mainly for the console version. Just saw the PS4 version, and it runs at a solid 20 fps at 1080p...... Let's not forget the massive downgrade the game went through graphically..... good lord

http://imgur.com/a/8I1He

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#69 sgtsphynx  Moderator

I enjoyed them very much, and I expect that I will enjoy this game.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't really like the way The Witcher felt to play, everything else about it seemed awesome, but I just didn't enjoy actually playing it.

The Witcher 2 on the other hand? Loved it, loved the way it played and really thoroughly enjoyed it both on the PC (where I played about half of the game before deciding to hold off to play it on 360 - I'm not much of a PC gamer) and with the excellent 360 port (where I played it to completion).

I'm really excited for The Witcher 3, it should be really excellent. :D

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

Delaying gets praise nowadays. It's a smoke screen for what's really wrong with that game technically. I suspect the 2nd delay was mainly for the console version. Just saw the PS4 version, and it runs at a solid 20 fps at 1080p...... Let's not forget the massive downgrade the game went through graphically..... good lord

I'm not "praising" the delay, I'm realistically pointing out that it's not a sign of the goddamn apocalypse. It could mean it's bad, it could mean they're polishing it to be great, or it could mean a dozen other things. Until the game is out it's all just speculative bullshit.

And I'll be brutally honest, I don't give a shit about the graphical downgrade, since even after it the game is still looking to be one of the more graphically impressive games on the market. Why do I need more than that? Now a choppy framerate on the other hand would be a big ol' bummer. We'll see how that part turns out, because that is an actual issue that matters.

thatdudeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By thatdudeguy

I really enjoyed the characters and world of Witcher 1, though I didn't enjoy its touchy CRPG combat and crafting very much. Now that I've been exposed to Pillars of Eternity and gotten into a CRPG, I wonder if I'll feel different.

Witcher 2 is on my list of all-time favorite games. The only negatives I can recall from that game were the difficulty curve plunging way down at about the halfway point (which I didn't mind, as a power fantasy game), and the story ending very abruptly. Other than that, it was fantastic. I recently went back to play it on PC (having originally played it on 360), and the controls were all terrible. The game felt very different from the more polished console version I finished. Maybe I'm missing a patch or something?

In any case, I don't have any reason to doubt that Witcher 3 will deliver a satisfying story, Mass-Effect-style moral choices, and weird takes on fantasy tropes. And all indications are that the combat is fun and responsive, so I'm not too worried there, either. I'm not expecting a game of the year (though not ruling it out), just a solid action RPG.

spitz1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who was familiar with the franchise before it was made into video games, i think 1 and 2 were well done and did the franchise a good service. I'm afraid 3 might be overhyped though.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I've played both games but only finished The Witcher 2.

I'm sure the first game goes places, but I got to the first major city and surrounding area and didn't really get much done. I was trying to explore its systems, but it's not really all that engaging in those early hours so I just stopped playing. The world it took place in seemed all right, but that wasn't enough

The Witcher 2 is a lot better all around. I started that game twice and both times I got to the middle of chapter 2 on Roche's path and all of my enthusiasm for the game just petered away. I don't know why I picked Roche's path both times - I didn't know that Chapter 2 changed significantly if you stuck with Iorveth. Anyway, the first time I put it down and just never picked that playthrough up again. I restarted it last year, did pretty much everything in Flotsam and really enjoyed it, and then just like before, got bored and put it down. A few weeks ago I bought a 970 and got The Witcher 3 with it, so I thought "might as well finish 2". I did just that and I enjoyed the last third of that game quite a bit. I might go back and replay it one of these days on Iorveth's path. In any case, the game seems a little overpraised to me. The writing is good, but it's got the problem that a lot of story-focused RPG's have - every conversation winds up being, to some degree, an exposition dump. Also, the game works on a backwards difficulty curve. The hardest boss fights are the first time you fight Letho and the Kayran. Chapter 2 has some stiff challenges, and by the last third, there's not much challenge left. I still enjoyed my time with it, I just didn't go crazy for it.

Still, The Witcher 3 looks like a very well-made open-world RPG and I happen to like those. Also, I think the combat in The Witcher 2 could have been good with some better balancing and refinements, so here's hoping that Witcher 3 has you do more than rolling around and keeping your Quen sign up.

If The Witcher 3 hadn't come with my 970, I probably would have bought it anyway, just not at launch. Axiom Verge comes out on PC only a few days before so I'd like to finish it before playing Witcher 3.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

Didn't finish The Witcher 1. Felt very dated even in 2007. I'm currently playing The Witcher 2 and even though I'm not out of the Prologue yet I don't really like it. Feels awkward in a way I can't articulate and I had to switch to a controller because I hated the keyboard controls.

I got so excited seeing Witcher 3 but now I'm not so sure. I don't think it's for me. I would have a million times more fun if I reinstalled Dragon Age Inquisition.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played both 1 and 2 back to back some years ago and liked them a lot. The combat was fun till the point you figured it out and "broke" it. The second halves seemed hurried in both cases. But they were great games.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#77  Edited By Jeust

I also liked both games a lot. I actually liked Witcher 1 more than Witcher 2, as the game itself was longer and felt more interesting plot-wise than the second. Also the choices had real consequences. Options I took at the begining and middle of the game had consequences afterwards, giving the game a non-linear evolution. The gameplay of the first was fine too, not fantastic, but it worked well.

Witcher 2 on other hand, had better gameplay, but the story wasn't as interesting, neither as long. The locations were fine, as were the quests, but it was all so brief. It also had consequences, but as the game was smaller, than the first, the consequences were drawn out, and were felt soon after the option that led to them was taken. They weren't unexpected as the in the first, for the most part. And the ending felt kinda flat. The evolution of the last chapter killed almost all the build up emotion leading to it. It is a good game, but for the graphics and tech, much of the scope and non-linearity were sacrificed.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Never played the first one, but started playing the second one on 360 before life got in the way. I have the Witcher 3 on digital pre-order and I vowed to myself that I would finish Witcher 2.

tiffanytryhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got way into first game, as I had never really played anything like it up to that point. Despite the stuff I didn't like about it (like the weird card collecting), the story and characters were more memorable to me than in Witcher 2. Although, the second game's story divergence, graphics and combat set it apart in their own way. Needless to say, I really can't wait for the third game.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#80  Edited By Tennmuerti

Played both Witcher 1 and 2 to death and loved them both to death. Everything about them, the world, the story, the characters, the choices, the ramifications, the combat, the rpg leveling and gear systems. They are some of my most favorite games of all time so yes I'm super hyped for Witcher 3, so much so in fact that I already have 2 collectors editions preorded, a physical one from amazon and a digital one from gog, because the physical one will take time to arrive from another country. That's crazy yo.

Witcher 1 had an amazing overall story with a great ending for that "oh shit" realization moment.

Witcher 2 was a stunning graphical powerhouse when it came out that just made my jaw drop with that opening trebuchet area. And Letho to me is up there with the top antagonists of all time in games.

Also got super deep into both of their fighting systems and actually consider them quite superb in their own ways, to the point that I used unofficial mods for Witcher 1 that introduced like 4 more difficulty levels and upped the challenge of the first game several fold making you have to use every tool in your arsenal, traps, bombs, oils, stances, abilities and spells. Likewise with Witcher 2, finished that on Darkmode that was introduced in the enhanced edition.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

It took me a bit to get into The Witcher 2, but I had owned it for probably 4 months before I touched it and was determined to give it a good shot. I ended up loving it after a few hours. Although I got very near the end of the game, I never ended up finishing it sadly. It was right when BioShock Infinite came out and I got distracted long enough to never go back to it. I know virtually nothing about W3 so I'm really excited to go in blind.

qrdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

Man, do you lose much sleep thinking about that downgrade?

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Well, I played a few hours of 2 and really couldn't get into it. The combat didn't click at all, so I don't really have any expectations for 3. It looks interesting though and I'd definitely like to try it whenever I can pick it up at a discounted price.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Similarly to quite a few other posters here I adored the first one, flaws and all, but had a bit of trouble getting into the second game. The universe, characters and general setting was still excellent in 2 but the weird combat and pacing has prevented me from finishing the game to this day. For my gaming habits that's highly unusual. I still sort of want to finally play through Witcher 2 since I like a lot about it and don't specifically hate anything, not even the strange combat but I'm not convinced it's going to happen.

I'm cautiously optimistic when it comes to round three but I'm unlikely to buy it before I finish the second one. That's probably not happening in time for the new release.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoy listening to Vinny talk about "The Witchaaa" more than I enjoy playing them.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@zeik said:
    @zeik said:

I'm not "praising" the delay, I'm realistically pointing out that it's not a sign of the goddamn apocalypse. It could mean it's bad, it could mean they're polishing it to be great, or it could mean a dozen other things. Until the game is out it's all just speculative bullshit.

And I'll be brutally honest, I don't give a shit about the graphical downgrade, since even after it the game is still looking to be one of the more graphically impressive games on the market. Why do I need more than that? Now a choppy framerate on the other hand would be a big ol' bummer. We'll see how that part turns out, because that is an actual issue that matters.

Eh... if it's actually going to look like those screenshots suggest, then it's not even close to being the most graphically impressive game on the market. Even if we're talking 5 years ago. It looks worse than W2. In fact, I'm going to say it doesn't look impressive at all. But I am skeptical those screens showcase the final version of the game. Especially if we're talking PC, where I will play it.

DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By DeathByWaffle

It's been a while since I played it, but I remember really loving both games. I played The Witcher a couple years before Witcher 2 came out and loved it, and I really enjoyed 2 as well. The combat in 2 took a little getting used to I remember, but it eventually clicked and I quite liked it.

From what I remember, the real main draw of these games for me was the story. I found the choices in them to be done so much better than other games - the fact that I had to often decide between one shitty choice and another shitty choice was refreshing in a time where "moral choice" in games was always "CLEARLY GOOD" vs. "CLEARLY BAD".

ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:
    @zeik said:
    @zeik said:

Eh... if it's actually going to look like those screenshots suggest, then it's not even close to being the most graphically impressive game on the market. Even if we're talking 5 years ago. It looks worse than W2. In fact, I'm going to say it doesn't look impressive at all. But I am skeptical those screens showcase the final version of the game. Especially if we're talking PC, where I will play it.

Let's just hope the gameplay is exceptional. Reviews come out tomorrow.

http://i.imgur.com/6ZawqPI.png

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never finished the first one. I remember thinking that it looked like a bad game, but when I gave it a try it surprised me. Witcher 2 is a much better experience, played through it twice. I'm looking forward to 3, I just hope that they can successfully pull off the open world stuff. It would be awesome if they removed rolling as a dodging mechanic also, I've always thought that would be one of the most idiotic things to do in a fight.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

The Witcher 1 is my all time favorite game. I liked the Witcher 2 on my second playthrough, where I chose Roche's path. First playthrough was a disappointment due to misplaced expectations (due to change of style from 1 to 2)

Cagliostro88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Cagliostro88

The first one was kinda rough but i freakin loved it. The second one i really enjoyed, but in retrospect what is left in my mind as dear memories are more specific moments in it than the overall experience (which i still liked a lot, mind you). If the creative team behind story, characters and setting is the same I have faith in them for the third one

JRM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both are fantastic games and I enjoyed the hell out of them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.