Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released May 19, 2015

CD Projekt RED's third Witcher combines the series' non-linear storytelling with a sprawling open world that concludes the saga of Geralt of Rivia.

I can't understand the audio, but subs are bad.

• 60 results
    ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

@bocam said:

As someone who speaks Polish it's a pretty poor job especially considering the game came out of Poland.

Ah okay fair enough. Interesting to hear. I thought you meant in English, which I think is pretty much fantastic throughout.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Nope, I understand them well enough; thing is, there are a lot of times I've seen that the subtitles don't match what the characters are saying, and that's always a bit of a letdown.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@rafaelfc said:

I can't understand the audio AND subs are bad.

You shouldn't use but if both are issues.

Without the character limit my intended title was "I can't understand the audio, but the subtitle solution would be bad for me because it's distracting" so I had to make some concessions.

@thebrainninja I believe that the subtitles are more distracting for me because I'm a veteran anime watcher. I read too fast so I know what's going to happen before the characters have the chance to say it. I want to focus on the character faces as they deliver lines because it's so well animated, but my eyes continue to dart towards the subtitles because that's what I always do while watching anime.

If there was an option to activate subtitles whenever a voice had a filter attached that would be amazing. No one can get through those specific scenes in the woods and come out knowing what was said 100% of the time.

duke_of_the_bump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@artisanbreads:I haven't played it, but in general I think the voice acting in all video games is pretty bad, and my experience is almost always improved by switching to a different language or disabling speech entirely if the option's available.

@bocam: Sorry to hear that, but since OP doesn't speak Polish (I assume) it should be fine for him. It'll be just like watching a foreign movie with subtitles.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@golguin: I don't if this fits but you can try: Sometimes can't understand audio but subs are distracting.

P.S. Can also be a title for a brand new SOL, rom-com anime.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

As someone who reads pretty quickly and thus find Subs really distracting, I really wish every game kept a discussion log you could pull up as needed if you don't hear/understand something.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@golguin said:
    @thom_hill said:

I was playing with no subs and then got to a scene that takes place under a tree and could not here anything that was being said as the background noise and dialogue overlapped (also what was being said was very crucial!) so after that i have subs on.

That's the exact scene that made me post this topic. I missed the crucial part the first time and just did the thing. I reloaded and will not do the thing again.

I also had a hard time understanding that tree. I turned off subtitles a few hours before this because I was just tired of looking at the bottom of the screen. Can't help it, when there are words on the screen, that's where my eyes are drawn. Anyway, I was really enjoying the quality of the facial animations and then I got to that tree and I couldn't understand much of it. I still haven't turned them back on and haven't had any trouble understanding anything or anyone else, but I do wonder if I'll start coming across other creatures that I can't understand.

Also, yeah, the subs very often don't match up with what people are saying. They usually get the same or similar meaning across, but the words spoken and the words subbed shouldn't be that different, that often.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@bocam said:
    @artisanbreads said:
    @duke_of_the_bump said:

You don't know how bad the voice acting is because you don't understand the language,

You think the voice acting in this game is bad?

As someone who speaks Polish it's a pretty poor job especially considering the game came out of Poland.

Just out of curiousity, how many languages do you speak? English, Japanese, and Polish?

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@bocam said:
    @artisanbreads said:
    @duke_of_the_bump said:

You don't know how bad the voice acting is because you don't understand the language,

You think the voice acting in this game is bad?

Just out of curiousity, how many languages do you speak? English, Japanese, and Polish?

English, Japanese, Polish, and Spanish. Though English and Japanese are what I'm most comfortable with.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@slag said:

As someone who reads pretty quickly and thus find Subs really distracting, I really wish every game kept a discussion log you could pull up as needed if you don't hear/understand something.

Yes! All games should have this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.