Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released May 19, 2015

CD Projekt RED's third Witcher combines the series' non-linear storytelling with a sprawling open world that concludes the saga of Geralt of Rivia.

What difficulty will you be playing on?

• 76 results
    nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

Not looking for much of a challenge from this game, so probably the default. I usually don't consider the easiest unless I really hate the gameplay (ahem, Last of Us).

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

I always go with the Developer recommended option, Normal if there isn't any recommendation.

When Halo 3 had Heroic as "Hey dude who beat Halo 1 & 2 use this option" I did and was glad I did it felt perfect but I have no desire to go into a new game with fucking permadeath on no thanks.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@sunbrozak: KVO from Gamespot suggests selecting a difficulty one above your usual, so perhaps I'll try that (mine in this case would be "hard" for the record, if the scale is the usual easy, medium, hard, extreme). Or perhaps even Death March since I also like the idea of reflecting the enemies' dangerous-looking design in the combat. Like others said, it'll depend on if it mostly affects my own character's mortality or if enemies turn into damage sponges like I'm playing Bloodborne NG+. One can be an interesting journey in digging up every bit of strategic oomph I have, the other is in almost every case, a slog. It literally makes all the difference. Also, if I like the game enough I'll probably eventually brave the perma-death mode if there's a trophy in it for me. As I'm typing this, I'm already doubting the validity of this claim.

Regardless, I'll probably take Van Ord's advice and at least play hard first time through. I found 2's combat to be methodical and generally manageable if one was careful. If 3 has in fact dumbed it down, I want that feel of needing to be careful and use Cats Eye and Hangman's Blood etc. when necessary. This probably all comes from being a fan of the books and wanting to roleplay.

davo46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Dark if they bring it back, good challenge and extra witcher swag >:D

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@csl316 said:

Well, according to Kevin Van Ord...

"The Witcher 2's combat was overly demanding at the outset, but The Witcher 3 is substantially easier; I recommend, in fact, that you choose a difficulty level one notch higher than the one you would typically choose, presuming you don't default to the most stringent one straight away."

So if I beat Witcher 2 on Dark Difficulty, what do I do? Hack the game to make it harder for myself like a total neckbeard?

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I think I'll start with what's considered the normal difficulty, just to see how it plays. If I find that too easy I'll crank it up. I like a challenge, but I don't feel the need to make the game punishing right from the start. We'll see.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

FYI the Quen sign people remember in Witcher 2 was nerfed to the ground in like the first major patch to remove it's complete ez-mode.

deox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

As always, i'll start on normal difficulty. Maybe I'll bump it up to hard for a second playthrough.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hard.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Bump it above normal.
    Witcher 2 was hard in the beginning but then a breeze endgame.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually play on normal, but if it's 200hrs as opposed to the 40 or so in the last game I may drop to easy. I haven't beaten a 200hr game since i was a kid, Skyrim and oblivion are still sitting at the 100hr mark waiting for me to go back to them lol.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The easiest to counter balance all the tough mfs on the internet who say they will play it on hard.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The second highest. Knowing from playing TW2, Dark difficulty requires a very deep knowledge of the combat and I'll do that on a playthrough 2.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Witchest

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Normal, I'll bump it up if it becomes too easy from being overleveled like what the reviews have been saying

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

One level higher than the default setting for me, since Kevin Van Ord said the game is pretty easy.

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This article is fantastic at discussing the difficulty and how we "should" be approaching the game;

http://www.vg247.com/2015/05/12/the-witcher-3-rewards-those-who-swallow-its-unpalatable-difficulty-curve/

I say "should" because I don't want to become part of the crowd of your playing it wrong which happens commonly with harder games.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Zeik

@flameboy84 said:

This article is fantastic at discussing the difficulty and how we "should" be approaching the game;

http://www.vg247.com/2015/05/12/the-witcher-3-rewards-those-who-swallow-its-unpalatable-difficulty-curve/

I say "should" because I don't want to become part of the crowd of your playing it wrong which happens commonly with harder games.

I figured that was going to recommend that you play on the higher difficulties to get the "true" experience, but it's simply recommending you actually play the game and do some side-content, rather than blindly rushing through the story and banging your head against the wall trying to defeat enemies you're not prepared for, which I don't feel bad saying that is how you should play a game like this. Anyone who can't handle doing a bit of side-content in a massive open world RPG probably shouldn't play a game like The Witcher 3.

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Good old normal mode. I am pretty bad at RPGs, so I'll just go the standard.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reading this I was kinda floored that the game reviewer had only 1 save.

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flameboy84 said:

Reading this I was kinda floored that the game reviewer had only 1 save.

Yep I'm borderline obsessive with saving in games like this...every location change I will save incase the game didn't and after a lot of major fights.

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really debating this one. In most games I tend to gravitate towards Normal difficulty as I like to coast through and just enjoy the content and then move up on later playthroughs. That might change with this game; I've seen a few reviews that mentioned normal seemed a bit too easy.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tend to play games on "hard" but not whatever the 4th "insane" option is. The first two Witcher games, and especially the 2nd, were off-puttingly difficult in the beginning. I might play The Witcher 3 on Normal.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Karkarov

Going to play it on normal unless there is some big incentive to play on harder settings, such as hard mode only loot like Witcher 2 or unqiue higher challenge quests.

overnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just about always go with "normal" or whatever weird equivalent the team uses, this is especially the case for games that I could wind up playing for a very long time. I like to have a bit of a challenge but I don't want combat to be tedious if I'm going to be playing for like 100+ hours.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As difficult as it allows. Single player games are easy.

Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
    RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll probably start on easy just to get the hang of the game's mechanics. If it turns out being anything like 2, I'll go berserk trying to get the hang of it on normal.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.