Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released May 19, 2015

CD Projekt RED's third Witcher combines the series' non-linear storytelling with a sprawling open world that concludes the saga of Geralt of Rivia.

WItcher 3 not the last Witcher afterall.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By mrfluke

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/06/the-witcher-3-may-not-be-the-last-witcher-after-all/

its just the last witcher for this trilogy

Eurogamer, however, recently updated its story on The Witcher 3 to say that what Badowski meant was that The Wild Hunt will be the last game in the current Witcher trilogy. Furthermore, CEO Adam Kicinski has stated that the "franchise will be continued."

We contacted CD Projekt Red for clarification on the issue. A spokesperson tells Joystiq, "The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt will wrap up the saga of Geralt of Rivia, but we do leave open the possibility of returning to the Witcher world." So there you have it, nothing can kill the Witcher, not even the monster of errant marketing.

of fucking course. like really, not too surprised at this.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Venatio

Well of course it will

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mrfluke

mod overlords, can you attach this to the witcher 3 page?, forgot about that,

sorry! please dont kill me!

mak_wikus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mak_wikus

Yeah, it sounded unbelievable. I'm glad they clarified that. I'm wondering if they'll make another game about Geralt or create something new in the universe.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By GaspoweR

Well, at the very least it'll give some closure to his story line that started with the novels. I can see CD Projekt Red possibly doing another game focusing on a different Witcher.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Ghostiet
    @GaspoweR said:

Well, at the very least it'll give some closure to his story line that started with the novels.

Fun fact: the games aren't canon. Sapkowski initially said that it's a continuation of the books and approved the general script, but then he flip-flopped and said "nope". So they basically can go crazy.
    triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By triple07

Sounds good to me I like the Witcher games.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By ShadowMoses900

Sounds great. I really like Witcher, it's a very solid RPG series that I wish they would bring to PS3. Maybe I might upgrade my PC to play it.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mrfluke

@ShadowMoses900: u could probably get witcher 2 to run decently on low settings, i dont have a great machine and i was able to run witcher 2 pretty decently

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Animasta

@Ghostiet said:

@GaspoweR said:

Well, at the very least it'll give some closure to his story line that started with the novels.

Fun fact: the game's aren't canon. Sapkowski initially said that it's a continuation of the books and approved the general script, but then he flip-flopped and said "nope". So they basically can go crazy.

well it's not like the author is making canon all the time anyway. (he stopped writing them at lady in the lake afaik)

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#11  Edited By ShadowMoses900

@mrfluke: Maybe....I could give it a try.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mrfluke
    OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By OfficeGamer

Out of all the franchises in the world, the one with the coolest most badass character wants to end that character's saga. Why do we still have Isaac Clarke and Dante and all those other fools in their respective universes?

I guess ending on a high note is for the best. I don't want a Witcher 7 making me sick of Geralt, so a trilogy for that amazing man sounds perfect I guess. It's just sad, bro :(

rye256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By rye256

@mrfluke said:

So there you have it, nothing can kill the Witcher, not even the monster of errant marketing.

Geralt has a sword for just that kind of monster!

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mrfluke

@rye256: i never said what you quoted lol, but whatevs. definitely will miss geralt after this game, dude was a badass.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By Undeadpool

They're 2/2, so I don't see any reason for them to stop.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Animasta

@OfficeGamer: honestly, in that world, I would love to play a naive ass kid whom would get broken down by that world over the course of the game. Sounds fun to me :D

Avatar image for chaoskiller2000
    Chaoskiller2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#18  Edited By Chaoskiller2000

I kinda wish a series would end for once... It would be nice to know it won't be screwed with. But no money wins every time.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By OfficeGamer

@Animasta said:

@OfficeGamer: honestly, in that world, I would love to play a naive ass kid whom would get broken down by that world over the course of the game. Sounds fun to me :D

Only if he screams "Let's go!," "Giddy up there nag" and "Yep, I'm Marston alright!" all the time.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Animasta said:

@Ghostiet said:

@GaspoweR said:

Fun fact: the game's aren't canon. Sapkowski initially said that it's a continuation of the books and approved the general script, but then he flip-flopped and said "nope". So they basically can go crazy.

well it's not like the author is making canon all the time anyway. (he stopped writing them at lady in the lake afaik)

There are only 5 books in the Witcher saga: Blood of Elves, Times of Contempt, Baptism of Fire, The Tower of the Swallow and The Lady of the Lake + two non-canon short stories Something Ends, Something Begins and Droga, z której się nie wraca (with that last one only semi-attached to the Witcher series post factum) + his anthologies of Witcher stories: The Witcher (which contains the aforementioned short stories and was later integrated into The Last Wish), The Last Wish and The Sword of Destiny - both serving as a prologue and introduction to the saga proper. Sapkowski wrote all of that and there's nothing more - he also doesn't intend to write more in this world.
    rye256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By rye256

@mrfluke: My bad, I intended to quote the sentence in the article that was in your post. I will miss Geralt as well. Looking forward to this game!

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mrfluke

@rye256: lol no worries, just found it a bit weird seeing me tagged to something i didnt say :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The Witcher universe is the Star Wars of Poland. It has to continue. It's huge back there.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By hatking

Not the last one? Awesome. I haven't spent much time with the series, and despite some issues I have taken with what I have seen, I am all for this one continuing on. I swear one of these days I'm going finally play the copy of Witcher 2 I bought back when it was rereleased last year.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By cmblasko

Geralt of Rivia has become a legend by ending the war. Now you can continue to build that legend through further gameplay and downloadable content.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By Snail

@Ghostiet said:

@GaspoweR said:

Fun fact: the games aren't canon. Sapkowski initially said that it's a continuation of the books and approved the general script, but then he flip-flopped and said "nope". So they basically can go crazy.

Did he say why he changed his mind?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I think that's the best way to handle it. Give some closure to Geralt's story, let the franchise rest for a bit, and then return with someone else, and maybe a different setting. I think it'd be neat if they jumped forward a few hundred years or something.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Snail said:

@Ghostiet said:

@GaspoweR said:

Sapkowski is, in simple terms, kind of a prick. He in general has very little regard for video games and while he has no problem with his works being adapted to other mediums - he said he thinks the game is a fine adaptation - he holds them as completely separate entities due to the fact that he didn't write them personally. He maintains that the games are merely adaptations (he's very adamant about using that particular word), not continuations and if he ever returns to the Witcher universe, he won't take them into consideration at all - there's a very unsubtle implication in the way he said it that he doesn't think anyone could match up to his own writing prowess. This also has a positive side, though, since he doesn't intend to interfere with the writing process in any way, including consulting and he has no problems with issuing the license.

Andrzej Sapkowski generally has an aura of condescension around him and he's not the most pleasant person. I'm pretty sure he initially called the game canon around the time it wasn't supposed to feature Geralt as a protagonist and maintained it up until around the time the game finally came out - I think he underestimated the medium and CD Projekt RED and is simply too stubborn to admit that it's something more than just a video game at this point. The interview in which he last spoke about this issue is from Summer 2012. I'd send you a link, but I don't think it's been translated.

anywhereilay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By anywhereilay
    @Ghostiet: A link to the kind of thing you're talking about.  

http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/45614/t1788715-witcher-author-says-games-aren-true-series-installments/
    firecracker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find it hard to believe that they won't have another Geralt centered game. From the translated books I've read, and the games...CDPR managed to give us a story where we make different decisions that can define our Geralt in different ways...and they still managed to make all of those decisions seem appropriate to the character, and none of those choices seem out of character whatsoever. To me, that is just amazing. They get this universe, and they definitely understand Geralt. It seems like it'd be a travesty for them to not tell another story with him after Wild Hunt. Especially with them only now getting their toes wet with console gamers.

I dunno, I'm a big fan of CDPR. So whatever they do, I'll probably be down for it. Maybe a Witcher game with us playing as Ciri is something they would try, if Ciri even appears in Wild Hunt.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We'll probably play as a different witcher.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We'll probably play as a different witcher.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If there is no more cannon, just let the series die. Don't end up ruining the franchise by trying to prolong it past it's due date. Don't make the witcher into assassins creed please

Ihmishylje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghostiet said:

@Snail said:

@Ghostiet said:

@GaspoweR said:

Sapkowski is, in simple terms, kind of a prick. He in general has very little regard for video games and while he has no problem with his works being adapted to other mediums - he said he thinks the game is a fine adaptation - he holds them as completely separate entities due to the fact that he didn't write them personally. He maintains that the games are merely adaptations (he's very adamant about using that particular word), not continuations and if he ever returns to the Witcher universe, he won't take them into consideration at all - there's a very unsubtle implication in the way he said it that he doesn't think anyone could match up to his own writing prowess. This also has a positive side, though, since he doesn't intend to interfere with the writing process in any way, including consulting and he has no problems with issuing the license.

Andrzej Sapkowski generally has an aura of condescension around him and he's not the most pleasant person. I'm pretty sure he initially called the game canon around the time it wasn't supposed to feature Geralt as a protagonist and maintained it up until around the time the game finally came out - I think he underestimated the medium and CD Projekt RED and is simply too stubborn to admit that it's something more than just a video game at this point. The interview in which he last spoke about this issue is from Summer 2012. I'd send you a link, but I don't think it's been translated.

Wanting to retain creative authorship of one's own literal creations while still allowing them to be adapted by and speculated on in different mediums by other artists, and then complementing those works for their quality but maintaining that they are not part of the canon of the original works does not make one a "kind of a prick," at least not in my view. Far from it. Sounds more like regular artist behavior.

I haven't read any Polish interviews, since I don't speak the language, only the first five books that have been translated into Finnish so far. I'll have to take your word for Sapkowski coming off the way you describe in interviews. But even if that's the case, it's hardly unexpected in the world of art. Nothing people have said that I've read so far has given me the impression that he'd be an asshole in any evident, factual sense, but I still hear this complaint often enough on the internet. Is it just because people want really badly for the games to be canon with the books? If so, why? Or is there some other, perhaps cultural, thing here that I don't understand?

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully if they continue they will let you be a new character, not even necessarily a witcher. As for the author? He has every right to say they aren't cannon, and they shouldn't be. The games make a LOT of mistakes versus the books. Example. In the books Geralt does not actually sleep with every woman he can. In fact he has only had sex with Triss once, and turned her down many times saying the one time was a mistake. The first game one of the main enemies is a dude called "The Professor" .... funny story... in the books Geralt killed a bandit named "The Professor" who had the exact same physical description as the game version years before the games story happens. The Sorceresses in the books also aren't quite so over the top and are far far more subtle than the game versions.

Don't get me wrong, I like the games. But the stories of the books are better and yeah... if they were cannon CDPR would have a hell of a time explaining all the inconsistencies.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#37  Edited By donutfever

We're gonna need the witcher to kill this undead thread.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

really?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.