Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 26, 2007

The Witcher is an Action Role Playing Game developed by CD Projekt RED and is based on the book "The Last Wish" by Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski. An Enhanced Edition was released in September, 2008. A director's cut version was released for North America on July 31, 2009.

In retrospect, What do you think of The Witcher?

• 61 results
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By AhmadMetallic

We're days away from Witcher 2, a game with crazy RPG hype and truly amazing footage (i'm nowhere near an RPG enthusiast and it even gets me excited).

Yet i don't see people mentioning or referencing the first game much.. 

I just installed it and started playing, it's really amazing, and in retrospect, it saddens me how anti-RPG i was a couple years back. i'm glad it's slowly changing now

What about you guys? Witcher fans? maybe even haters? what do you have to say about Witcher 1?
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jimbo

Best game since Deus Ex.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By phrosnite

One of the most flawed RPGs in years.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Scooper

I'm towards the end of Chapter 3 now, trying to beat the game before Tuesday. It's awesome. In this chapter it really picked up for me. Combat is super fun now, my character is getting really powered up and I've learnt how to use potions much more effectively. The story is great and the choices are interesting and impactful and the side missions are really unique.

The problem with the game for me is the first 2 chapters are pretty damn weak. Hopefully they've changed the pace a bit in the sequel. The graphics look amazing from the trailers and gameplay clips.
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AlexW00d

The Witcher is a brilliant game. Brilliant story and characters, really well done bleak, morbid atmosphere.

A lot of people dislike the combat, but they are generally the kind of people who will moan about something for the sake of moaning about something.
    Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By MachoFantastico

Sad to be honest, always seemed like a great RPG of what I played of it but recall being overloaded with so many other games to play that took my attention away. Never have got around to playing the original but think The Witcher 2 looks like it'll be great. 

Certainly show up Dragon Age 2, as the average RPG that I thought it was. 

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Heltom92

After playng it recently I'd say it takes a while to get into but after that the story is really immersive and it is a great RPG.

Plus Geralt is one of the most awesome characters in gaming.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By yinstarrunner
    @Scooper said:
    I'm towards the end of Chapter 3 now, trying to beat the game before Tuesday. It's awesome. In this chapter it really picked up for me. Combat is super fun now, my character is getting really powered up and I've learnt how to use potions much more effectively. The story is great and the choices are interesting and impactful and the side missions are really unique.

The problem with the game for me is the first 2 chapters are pretty damn weak. Hopefully they've changed the pace a bit in the sequel. The graphics look amazing from the trailers and gameplay clips.
    Are you me?  I'm at the exact same part, trying to do the exact same thing, and I have the exact same opinions as you.

Shit, I guess I should get back to it.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Animasta

yeah the first two chapters are weak, but after that it picks up and it gets way awesome.

KING OF THE WILD HUNT

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HitmanAgent47

snorfest boring wrpg game. I like dragon age and oblivion more where it's slightly more casual.

borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By borodin

I really, really love the first game pretty much warts and all. I love the characters, the plot, the mechanics (even the rhythm game combat) even the silly sex cards if I'm honest! Aside from the technical stuff that really hurt the game IMO when it first came out, there isn't a lot about 1 that I didn't really enjoy and the director's cut fixed the majority of the tech stuff anyway.

I'm actually trying to decide if I have the time/dedication to try and play through 1 again before my copy of 2 arrives so I can have a save to import... damn long game though :(
    StealthRaptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By StealthRaptor

I only played the Enhanced Edition, but I absolutely loved it. it was so refreshing to have consequences to your choices without some stupid karma meter.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Aronman789

Some parts were awesome, some parts were horrible. I really enjoyed the investigation in Vizima and the autopsy, but the whole thing with the vodyanoy and the lady of the lake seemed very filler and boring.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Brendan

It's pretty good, the sex stuff seemed a little pandering to the "I'm playing a mature game but I'm really here for teh boobiez" crowd but overall pretty solid for it's time.

GrandHarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GrandHarrier
    @phrosnite said:
    Basically this. Terrible combat system. Over the top focus on sex, (worse than anything people have lambasted Dragon Age for) up to and including the "Sex Trading Cards".
    Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Vorbis

Started playing it about a week ago and finished yesterday, have to agree it has a slow start, but once you hit chapter 2 it really picked up for me, spent so much time just walking around talking to people and never got tired of it. Shani's house party was really great and can't think of many other games that have done stuff like that. It's probably one of my favourite RPGs now, never saw that ending coming and I really should have. 

As for the combat stuff? The sword fighting was flashy but wasn't that fun, however  I got really deep into the Alchemy stuff, always checking the Bestiary to make sure I had the right blade coatings and potions for the stuff I was killing, which I really enjoyed. Will definitely be going full Alchemy on TW2 (and on hard, found the first way too easy on Normal).

I don't really see the complaints about the sex card stuff, the game is based on a book, Geralt liked to have sex, it's part of his character.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Animasta
    @GrandHarrier said:
    @phrosnite said:
    Basically this. Terrible combat system. Over the top focus on sex, (worse than anything people have lambasted Dragon Age for) up to and including the "Sex Trading Cards".
    yeah and the books the game comes from have a lot of sex in them as well, so what's your point
    GrandHarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GrandHarrier
    @Laketown said:
    @GrandHarrier said:
    @phrosnite said:
    yeah and the books the game comes from have a lot of sex in them as well, so what's your point
    Being faithful to source material is one thing. But the sex trading cards really annoyed me. If the game was on the 360, basically you'd have gotten an achievement every time you fucked somebody. And while that is "cute" from a "tee-hee that isn't typical for the medium" it was handled pretty tastelessly. Nor does the game every convey "why" you want to be sticking your dick into anything that happens to bend over besides some vague mention that "them ladies, they sh-ore do luv them witchers". I mean, the Goddess of the Lake was just painful to play through.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Animasta

and that's fair enough, but it's not like it was a critical part of the game; I only had sex with like 2 people or something.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Haven't played it yet, but I will as soon as possible.

GrandHarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By GrandHarrier
    @Laketown: No, it wasn't critical. But it was always omnipresent. But it is really only my secondary issue with the game. The main is that the combat is just bland and boring to me. Don't get me wrong, having been on the otherwise of some recent game hatred, I don't want to speak ill of a game that most people like, but something about the nature of the core fandom of Witcher bothers me. They seem willing to go out of their way to forgive some pretty serious mechanical flaws to a fundamentally broken game. I mean, it took a re-released version of the game to make it playable to anyone but hardcore and faithful fans. I picked it up during a steam sale for $5 and I almost feel like I was ripped off. I'm not quite that ridiculous but it was pretty close. Now, the Witcher 2 has some potential, from what I've seen... but I'll probably wait for it to hit the $5 mark like the first before I pick it up.
    djstyles92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By djstyles92

I just started playing it.  Its okay so far, but im not very far in.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By Claude

I played the vanilla Witcher and the enhanced version. I loved it. The characters were cool, the story was darker and the choices you could make grayer than anything I had ever played. I still thought the early pacing was off. The first two chapters really dragged, sometimes leaving me wondering what to do next. And the sex cards in the game seemed rather juvenile and really didn't do anything for me.

But with each passing chapter after the first two the game got better and better and by the ending, which was really well done, I felt like I had lived the life of a Witcher. Not just any Witcher mind you, but Geralt of Rivia "The White Wolf", his story became mine. Great game.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Animasta
    @GrandHarrier: it was definitely not that bad, and sure the combat was boring but fucking whatever, I've played worse before. and if you cannot clearly see the improvements they've made to the witcher 2 (esp. the combat) from the trailers, then...
    SpartanAmbrose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SpartanAmbrose

The first half of The Witcher definitely dragged too much, but man oh man does that second half make up for it. Tough choices to make in the story, loveable characters, and a combat system that really grows on you over the course of the game.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26  Edited By Marz

I think the first game was a really good game.  They tried to do much with an old ass engine and performance kind of suffered for it.   I mean i still get like less than 20fps in chapter 3 with core 2 quad 2.4gz and gtx 480.  
    But there was a good amount of choice and consequences story wise that made it interesting to play throughout the game a few times.  I really enjoyed the philosophical battle near the end of the game with the grand master.   

Anyways, It is slow to start, but has a pretty damn good ending.  
    It was definitely the most surprising RPG from 2007. 
    GrandHarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By GrandHarrier
    @Laketown said:
    @GrandHarrier: it was definitely not that bad, and sure the combat was boring but fucking whatever, I've played worse before. and if you cannot clearly see the improvements they've made to the witcher 2 (esp. the combat) from the trailers, then...
    I consider it similar to Alan Wake. Interesting story. Boring game mechanics.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Fallen189

It controlled badly, the voice acting was all over the place, and it was optimized piss poor. I didn't understand the hype

Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Green_Incarnate

I guess I'm still on the not so good beginning, because right now it's slow. I started playing it this year, and it feels like a really old game, back when sex in mainstream games was something new. Also, the dialogue is really bad sometimes, noticeably recorded at separate times in separate booths. It's almost impossible to have a fluid conversation here. 

What I did like was when some dude straight up told me to fuck off for being an ass to him. It was unexpected. I have a feeling these type of moments are what make the game good, and I'm hoping to see more of them. 
    Arebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Arebuckle

I finished it for the first time a few days ago and it's simply brilliant. The fact that it had a choice mechanic in there that was actually subtle surprised me, I didn't know it had anything like that until late chapter 2. Story was very good, though a bit slow in places,  voice acting was a bit all over the place and the combat was a little tedious at times.

My main problem with it was that even though my PC easily surpasses the specs, it constantly lagged when there was excessive fire and smoke (Chapter 1's boss fight was a right barrel of laughs). But those kinds of situations rarely occurred so it never really got in the way.

Really looking forward to playing 2, bought the collector's edition and currently awaiting it, even though my PC can't run it yet. Yes I'm an idiot.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By Subjugation

If I could have gotten past the combat mechanics which I loathed I'm pretty sure I would have enjoyed the game a lot. The atmosphere and story seemed like they would have interested me, unfortunately other aspects spoiled the game. Here's to hoping the sequel remedies those.

Avatar image for nikoalexander57
    NikoAlexander57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By NikoAlexander57

It couldn't hold my attention, it really was quite a boring game. I got about two or three hours in to it and just never booted it up again.

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By unchained
    @Claude said:
    I played the vanilla Witcher and the enhanced version. I loved it. The characters were cool, the story was darker and the choices you could make grayer than anything I had ever played. I still thought the early pacing was off. The first two chapters really dragged, sometimes leaving me wondering what to do next. And the sex cards in the game seemed rather juvenile and really didn't do anything for me.But with each passing chapter after the first two the game got better and better and by the ending, which was really well done, I felt like I had lived the life of a Witcher. Not just any Witcher mind you, but Geralt of Rivia "The White Wolf", his story became mine. Great game.
    My feelings exactly. I thought the game was incredible and fun. The story was engaging and not everything was black and white. I thought the combat was very fun. 

It's easily in the top 5 of my favorite games and I'm eagerly awaiting the sequel. 
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Azteck

I played it like yesterday, so it's not really a retrospect. But I love it!

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By zityz

Great game, terrible pacing, and the way they handle quests is something to be desired. All of these things are addressed in the new one so.

BUCK3TM4N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BUCK3TM4N

just started it tuesday and the VA is terrible but the settings and atmosphere are good 

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By Enigma777
    I didn't care much for the combat, bu the rest wasn't bad.
    sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By sjupp

Man, this made me buy it. It's only $5 at GOG right now too!

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ahmad_Metallic: I still think it holds up really well, though I can see that changing soon. The world/dialogue and characters are amazing. A few of the levels are shit, though, and the interface is a little clunky.

Still, modern classic.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By Afroman269

No opinion, just picked it up $5 to play, I want to get in and play before getting the Witcher 2. I want to see if the hype is justified.

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By sameeeeam

I barely remember anything about that game. I do recall enjoying my time with it, though.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Cornman89

I'm near the end of Chapter 3 and the battle system finally clicked. It's not perfect or anything, but I'm finally getting into the rhythm and pulling off some pretty cool stuff. The story seems to be picking up, too. Hopefully I can plow through the rest of the game before Tuesday.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Love it, great story, gritty, awesome.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Contro
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MikkaQ

I like it, but I keep having to do the opening, and giving up because of how often I've installed/uninstalled the game. 

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Interesting opinions in this thread. the combat, animations, frame rates and dialogue seem a lot better than what some people with negative opinions described, but i guess it's because it's the enhanced edition?

I'm still at the outskirts of Vizima trying to please the Reverend, so i don't really have a solid opinion. what i can say is that the world feels fucking amazing, Geralt is an out-of-this-world badass and i'm proud to declare that for the first time of my life, getting the hang of skill upgrades and alchemy, rather than trying to fathom them for 5 minutes followed by resting in the corner with a razor in my hand ;p

also snapped me some hot screenies :

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

@Laketown said: 

and that's fair enough, but it's not like it was a critical part of the game; I only had sex with like 2 people or something.

that's what she said! more like.. he... amirite?

@Claude:  the Wii-Man, a fan of a hardcore PC RPG? color me surprised :D awesome. 

@Sjupp said: 

Man, this made me buy it. It's only $5 at GOG right now too!

Everytime you mention The Witcher, someone will reinsta-- oh wait.
    Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Dingofighter

First time I tried to play it I didn't even make it to the second chapter, I think.

Started playing it about a week ago again, and really enjoyed it once I got into it. 
    I like the fact that in many cases, there is no real "good" choice, but rather a choice of which is the least bad. If there was a "good" choice, you often didn't know which it was until later in the story, which I liked.

The combat and some of the quests were tedious in some places, but it wasn't so bad I wanted to stop playing.
    The universe was also interesting and that together with the atmosphere, I really liked. It was interesting to see a fantasy world that was more medieval, I guess.

Despite it's flaws I really enjoyed the game, and I'm hoping The Witcher 2 will have had those flaws ironed out, if so I think it will be a really amazing game.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By amir90

A slow start, but a great game none the less, cannot believe it is almost 4 years since I bought this game :o

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Azteck
    @XII_Sniper said:
    I like it, but I keep having to do the opening, and giving up because of how often I've installed/uninstalled the game. 
    Force yourself to do the opening, permanently keep a save from the playthrough and just use it to skip ahead next time!
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MikkaQ
    @Azteck said:
    @XII_Sniper said:
    Force yourself to do the opening, permanently keep a save from the playthrough and just use it to skip ahead next time!
    Yeah I now have a dedicated gaming computer, so having it consistently installed is no longer a problem, I just gotta force myself past the initial raid on the fortress. But I dig the combat... but wasn't keen on the alchemy system. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.