Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Thief

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 25, 2014

Developed by Eidos Montréal and coming more than 10 years after the previous Thief game, this is the fourth installment in and a reboot of the Thief franchise.

What do you want to see in the new Thief game?

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Edited By oraknabo

Poll What do you want to see in the new Thief game? (34 votes)

the Blackjack 50%
    Special arrows: water, rope, moss, noisemaker 71%
    Keepers, Pagans, Hammeritesn & Mechanists 38%
    a Mechanical eye 32%
    the Difficulty System from previous games 44%
    the Light Gem on the hud 35%
    Ghosts & Zombies 18%
    "Taffer" 29%
    Guards who insult you when you hit them 38%
    Burricks 21%
    Funny conversations to overhear & Bear Pit references 53%
    The City & its Medieval Industrial world 44%
    Garrett & Stephen Russell's voice 44%
    Something new (explain) 24%

While Eidos Montreal has impressed me with the stealth in DX: Human Revolution, I'm still cautious in my optimism about this title, but if they manage to get the world and atmosphere right and provide a creative variety of mission types I think I'm really going to like it.

Thief & Thief 2 are two of my all-time favorite games and are on the list of the very few games I bother to replay regularly. I don't think I've ever seen a better example of level design than Thief 2 and the general atmosphere of the whole series is still better than 99% of the games released since the first was released. Thief has a lot of unique elements that should return in the new reboot. Which ones do you think are essential to the Thief experience?

• 
    Avatar image for redcricketchase
    RedCricketChase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The only Thief I've played was the demo for the first one (I think?), but I remember adoring the special arrows and the feel of skulking on moonlit rooftops in that world.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By oraknabo

@redcricketchase:

If you liked it back then, I'd highly recommend getting the first two from gog.com or the trilogy on Steam and getting the high resolution patches for each one. The graphics obviously look dated against today's games, but the atmosphere is so well executed that you forget about that very quickly.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Moss arrows, water arrows, noisemakers ... still such an awesome idea.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Moss arrows, water arrows, noisemakers ... still such an awesome idea.

gogosox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never played the thief games which is wierd since i usually like stealth games but this game looks interesting.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By oraknabo

@gogosox82: I really love stealth games, but Thief stands out above them all. The level design and sound design are incredible. It has an amazing world with a great backstory and storyline, a great main character and lots of fun tools and the sense of atmosphere is incredible. It's really the full package of story, setting and gameplay. The first game is good enough, but in the second they trimmed the fat and really focused on the stuff that worked best and came up with some highly entertaining missions. Deadly Shadows is also good and is known for having one of the creepiest segments in a game ever, but even though it has better graphics, many fans think it falls below the quality of game design of the other two.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HerbieBug

Save anywhere and an option to turn off any checkpoint saving the game does automatically.

The worst mistake they could make is introducing occasional linear level design for narrative effect alla Hitman: Absolution. I am hoping they paid attention to the general negative reaction to that bit of bullshit streamlining.

Otherwise just make it a good Thief game, build on the things that made the original games so great, don't try to fix what was never broken. Make it look awesome. Make it fun. I dunno. Make it good, and stuff. Not shitty. Would be my preference. :p

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks like rope arrows are out and he now has a grappling hook. While I'm fine with that, I always liked the fact that you had to be really careful with rope arrows and retrieve them when possible to make sure you had enough. It added to the tension of some situations to know you could use them in some places but not have one available.

I'm surprised that I haven't heard anything about the difficulty system. It's under 50% on the poll too. I thought it was way more interesting than the usual "hard=easier to die, harder to hurt enemies" kind of system used in every other game.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what I've read, it seems like Ghosts, Zombies & Burricks are out too.

You still have the Blackjack but may not have a sword or even a knife. The sword seems to have been replaced with some minor hand-to-hand combat.

Water arrows have been replaced with Dry Ice Arrows.

The light gem has been replaced with a screen effect.

Keepers are still a part of Garret's backstory.

Avatar image for pretentioushack
    PretentiousHack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No QTE. No wallcover. No third person. No "clearly designed for control pads". Complicated level design. Balance. No tacked on MP. PhysX. Slow gameplay. Sidequests. No "XP" or "perks".

Avatar image for redcricketchase
    RedCricketChase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oraknabo said:

@redcricketchase:

If you liked it back then, I'd highly recommend getting the first two from gog.com or the trilogy on Steam and getting the high resolution patches for each one. The graphics obviously look dated against today's games, but the atmosphere is so well executed that you forget about that very quickly.

Thanks! I just bought 'em, heh. DLing now. SO AXCITED

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mordukai

Would like them to continue the "hub world" feature of the third game and combine it with the openness of the missions from 2. The rest leave as is.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I want open-type levels where I'm just supposed to steal a bunch of junk and get out. Also, no zombies or robots.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By oraknabo
    OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stopped playing Deadly Shadows because of the zambies so I hope no more of that. Otherwise I want everything else!

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Nekroskop

An adjustable FOV.

Case and point.
    Case and point.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.